IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Congressional hearings , donald trump , impeachment , Trump administration , Trump controversies , Trump impeachment

Old 13th January 2021, 11:50 AM   #601
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by ponderingturtle View Post
Oh that is a serious issue but they also need to be able to function with less than a full house.
The House is full, people are just going "Nope, not voting."

That's the problem.

There's a difference between taking a sick day and just going into work and going "Nope I've decided I won't work today."

And 100% vote on impeachment is something we should be able to demand.
JoeMorgue is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th January 2021, 11:50 AM   #602
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
"There is no excuse for President Trump's actions. Others, including myself, are responsible for not speaking out sooner — before the President misinformed and inflamed a violent mob." - Republican Rep. Dan Newhouse.

Good. More of you need to say that.
Confession is good for the Soul.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th January 2021, 11:50 AM   #603
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by Aridas View Post
Honestly, at this point, I think I may start just laughing at people that complain about "cancel culture." For a bit of start, though, it's well worth considering the points made in Time on the subject. Going further than that, though, the sheer audacity of Trump supporters to rage against "cancel culture" is sorta incredible. Where's all that outrage when right-wing radio hosts were literally being fired in the middle of their broadcasts for offering any criticism towards Trump? I certainly didn't hear a hint of it. Where's their outrage at the eminently predictable FLOODs of death threats towards those who break with Trump and those who Trump attacks? That sure seems to have become pretty much standard tactics on the right. There's so much more that could be poked at, really, but meh. It's just the usual situation of the right attempting to claim a moral high ground and preach at the left about the splinter in their eye while refusing to acknowledge or do anything about the friggin' log in their own eye.

...snip....
We had a thread on here about “cancel culture”, turned out it was simply what the rich and powerful had always been doing to their “opponents”. It is an attempt to create a new strawman akin to how the right created the “political correct” strawman.
Old 13th January 2021, 11:52 AM   #604
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
Rep. Boebert is insane. She's comparing apples and oranges. None of those calls to violence against Trump she quotes from the "hypocritical left" were from members of Congress, they were from private citizens. What stupid woman.

HAPPY IMPEACHMENT V2 DAY!
It's between Boebert and Taylor Greene for the "most batcrap crazy member of the House".

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th January 2021, 11:52 AM   #605
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

At least 6 Republicans in the House will vote to impeach Trump.
JoeMorgue is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th January 2021, 11:56 AM   #606
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Firestone View Post
Senate GOP Leader Mitch McConnell will not consent to reconvening the Senate on Friday under emergency authorities, delaying the start of President Trump's likely impeachment trial until Jan. 19 at the earliest, McConnell's team confirmed to Axios.
So, anyone who was skeptical of the claim that "McConnell really wants to hate trump and is in favor of impeachment" were right...

Moscow Mitch doesn't really care about "removing Trump". I suspect he just wants to drag the impeachment out to interfere with the confirmation of Biden's cabinet.

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th January 2021, 11:57 AM   #607
Firestone
Proud Award Award recipient

Trump statement:

"In light of reports of more demonstrations, I urge that there must be NO violence, NO lawbreaking and NO vandalism of any kind. That is not what I stand for, and it is not what America stands for. I call on ALL Americans to help ease tensions and calm tempers. Thank You."

Fits in a tweet, by the way.

https://twitter.com/Acosta/status/13...869038594?s=19
Old 13th January 2021, 12:25 PM   #608
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Again the idea the Senators can just... like not vote is already stupid to me. I mean that's literally your job.

The idea that they can't do it during an impeachment is worse.

When you're a member of Congress and the decision is on this level, you shouldn't get to stay in the corner.
I kind of agree. This is a possible strategy that allows them not to vote on a controversial issue. It's a possibility, but it is also not very likely for the reason you mention. I sincerely doubt they will avail themselves to this out.
Old 13th January 2021, 12:26 PM   #609
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by zooterkin View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dante Atkins
When a Republican says "impeachment is divisive" it's the same as when an abusive spouse tells you that if you leave or call the cops, you're the one tearing the family apart.
From Twitter.
Well put. I wanted to throw something at the TV when Kevin McCarthy went on about how an impeachment would only further divide the country and how we need to come together in unity now. This coming from the man who has been one of the largest megaphones spreading the "election fraud" message and done everything he can to aid and abet Trump including signing on to that ridiculous TX lawsuit and voting to object to the certification of the election on Jan. 6th. So NOW he wants to stop the divisiveness that he is a major cause of?
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th January 2021, 12:32 PM   #610
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

And yes...Marjorie Taylor Greene continues to prove she is just as stupid as we think she is.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th January 2021, 12:36 PM   #611
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Trump statement:

"In light of reports of more demonstrations, I urge that there must be NO violence, NO lawbreaking and NO vandalism of any kind. That is not what I stand for, and it is not what America stands for. I call on ALL Americans to help ease tensions and calm tempers. Thank You."

Anyone else think that wasn't Trump?
Old 13th January 2021, 12:38 PM   #612
chrispy
Graduate Poster

No way that was him. Zero chance.
Old 13th January 2021, 12:41 PM   #613
Paul2
Philosopher

Trump statement:

Wasn't there a *wink* at the end of that, in the original?

Aristotle, so far as I know, was the first man to proclaim explicitly that man is a rational animal. His reason for this view was one which does not now seem very impressive: it was, that some people can do sums. - Bertrand Russell
Paul2 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th January 2021, 12:46 PM   #614
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

And yes...Marjorie Taylor Greene continues to prove she is just as stupid as we think she is.
That does it. Taylor Green and Boebert are neck in neck for biggest idiot in the House competition.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 13th January 2021, 12:47 PM   #615
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by chrispy View Post
Written by a PR hack.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 13th January 2021, 12:50 PM   #616
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Originally Posted by chrispy View Post
The all-caps were used "correctly". Punctuation OK. Use of multi-syllable words spelled correctly and in cogent grammatical order. And a totally un-Trump-like sentiment.

Agreed. Not Diaper Don at all. Probably didn't even see this. Guessing it's by his (last remaining) lawyer.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th January 2021, 01:01 PM   #617
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Some GOP COngresswoemn from Tennesee just played the Antifa card and then dragged in God.
Typical Chriso Fascist.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 13th January 2021, 01:02 PM   #618
Mumbles
Philosopher

The behind the scenes scuttlebutt (as always take with a grain of salt) is that unlike the last impeachment is that McConnell isn't pushing nearly as hard for the GOP to be a "single" voice and encouraging Senators to just vote how they want.

I half wonder if something similar changed in the House. If the "We all have to speak as one" thing is less pronounced this time.
That's because Mitch has his pro-corporate judges in, and if they also toss out abortion rights, marriage equality, Brown vs. Board, and so forth, he simply does not care.

Again, he is the single worst person in US politics today.
Mumbles is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th January 2021, 01:02 PM   #619
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
The all-caps were used "correctly". Punctuation OK. Use of multi-syllable words spelled correctly and in cogent grammatical order. And a totally un-Trump-like sentiment.

Agreed. Not Diaper Don at all. Probably didn't even see this. Guessing it's by his (last remaining) lawyer.
And the style of the PR is so bland. Sure sign a hack wrote it.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 13th January 2021, 01:04 PM   #620
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

McConnell has said he wouldn't agree to reconvening early

He said he would vote to convict.
Old 13th January 2021, 01:05 PM   #621
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

ANohter moron from the South accusing the Dems of being the real violent ones.
I am beginning to be really prejudiced against Southerners.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 13th January 2021, 01:06 PM   #622
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Good God, I really ******* hate Republicans.
Old 13th January 2021, 01:07 PM   #623
ToddH
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
ANohter moron from the South accusing the Dems of being the real violent ones.
I am beginning to be really prejudiced against Southerners.
We're not all mouth breathing morons but unfortunately we do have our fair share.
ToddH is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th January 2021, 01:09 PM   #624
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post

I see Mitch's strategy is deestroy Trump politically. He thinks removing from him office might make Donnie a Matry, but letting his term run out and later vote to impeach and then ban him from holding ofice.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 13th January 2021, 01:12 PM   #625
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

A GOP congressmen accused Peolsi of inciting violence and playing the Antifa card and is proclaming the virtues of DOnald J Trump. Another loyal follower of Dear Leader.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 13th January 2021, 01:12 PM   #626
dasmiller
Just the right amount of cowbell

Would McConnell have any reason to fear a brief Pence presidency? I can't think of one, but maybe I'm missing something.
Old 13th January 2021, 01:17 PM   #627
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Quote:

I see Mitch's strategy is deestroy Trump politically. He thinks removing from him office might make Donnie a Matry, but letting his term run out and later vote to impeach and then ban him from holding ofice.
Or... Moscow Mitch wants to harm the Democrats, and having a delay and holding impeachment proceedings in the senate at the same time that Biden is trying to get a cabinet confirmed, deal with covid relief, etc, is one way to do that.

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th January 2021, 01:17 PM   #628
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by dasmiller View Post
Would McConnell have any reason to fear a brief Pence presidency? I can't think of one, but maybe I'm missing something.
I think it's more Mitch thinks it be easier to get GOP votes to convict after Trump is out of office then when he in office. Mitch's real objective is to purge Donnie from the GOP.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 13th January 2021, 01:19 PM   #629
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Dragon View Post
Are we the bad guys?

https://youtu.be/OpZ8EkK3eWY
I knew what that would be before I looked at it
Captain_Swoop is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th January 2021, 01:20 PM   #630
d4m10n
Philosopher

...100% vote on impeachment is something we should be able to demand.
Why demand it, though? The boycott stratagem described in the OP yields better results for all involved.

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk
Old 13th January 2021, 01:22 PM   #631
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

McConnell was just reelected to 6 more years in the Senate. He really has nothing to lose at this point. He lost his position as Senate Majority leader. I'm wondering if he might now lose being Senate Minority leader.
Old 13th January 2021, 01:26 PM   #632
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

McConnell was just reelected to 6 more years in the Senate. He really has nothing to lose at this point. He lost his position as Senate Majority leader. I'm wondering if he might now lose being Senate Minority leader.

The GOP calling for healing reminds me of Hiimmler's statement, in the last days of the third reich, in his inept attempt to negotiae a seperate peace with the Western Allies, , that the Germans and the Jews "should bury the Hatchet".

Robert Heinlein.
Old 13th January 2021, 01:33 PM   #633
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post

If Donnie did not write that, which I don't think he did, it should not be allowed at the Senate trial to be presented as if he did. His lack of trying to mitigate any further violence would be yet more proof of his guilt.
Old 13th January 2021, 01:36 PM   #634
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by dasmiller View Post
A Trump pardon.
Old 13th January 2021, 01:36 PM   #635
Minoosh
Penultimate Amazing

Without even seeing the charge ?
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th January 2021, 01:39 PM   #636
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

I think it's more Mitch thinks it be easier to get GOP votes to convict after Trump is out of office then when he in office. Mitch's real objective is to purge Donnie from the GOP.
Exactly. Also, the Senate will have more Democrat senators so less Republican votes will be needed.
Old 13th January 2021, 01:41 PM   #637
Minoosh
Penultimate Amazing

The GOP calling for healing reminds me of Hiimmler's statement, in the last days of the third reich, in his inept attempt to negotiae a seperate peace with the Western Allies, , that the Germans and the Jews "should bury the Hatchet".
... firmly between the shoulder blades of the Germans?
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th January 2021, 01:43 PM   #638
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Or this is a "On no please don't throw me in the Briar Patch" moment and Mitch is counting on legal battles determining that you can't impeach a President after they leave office.

Again a LOT of this is still uncharted territory. Mitch could argue that the impeachment process becomes null/void after Trump lives office. At least a few high level judges have expressed that opinion.

What if Mitch already knows that the Conservative Supreme Court will just throw out an impeachment after Trump leaves office?

//Note. I'm not saying that's the only or most likely scenario, only that it would be foolish to completely ignore it.//
Old 13th January 2021, 01:45 PM   #639
Minoosh
Penultimate Amazing

I can't see getting a conviction before Jan. 20 even if this was greased to the skids.
Old 13th January 2021, 01:48 PM   #640
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

I don't know how it works. Is there going to be a vote today on impeachment? Will we know today if it happens, or tomorrow, or what?

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics