IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags !MOD BOX WARNING! , church scandals , George Pell , roman catholic church , sex scandals

Old 12th January 2021, 10:20 AM   #1801
Carrot Flower King
Muse

And still it comes out: https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...her-baby-homes
Carrot Flower King is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th January 2021, 11:32 AM   #1802
Blue Mountain
Resident Skeptical Hobbit

Originally Posted by Carrot Flower King View Post
Report to reveal scale of abuse at Ireland's mother and baby homes

Results of investigation expected to tell how 9,000 children died in 18 institutions between 1922 and 1998

My note: that's 7 kids a year, every year, at each of the institutions.
The social illusion reigns to-day upon all the heaped-up ruins of the past, and to it belongs the future. The masses have never thirsted after truth. They turn aside from evidence that is not to their taste, preferring to deify error, if error seduce them. Gustav Le Bon, The Crowd, 1895 (from the French)
Canadian or living in Canada? PM me if you want an entry on the list of Canadians on the forum.

Last edited by Blue Mountain; 12th January 2021 at 11:34 AM.
Blue Mountain is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th January 2021, 12:00 PM   #1803
Carrot Flower King
Muse

One does wonder if we shall ever know the full scale of this. How much will remain hidden? I mean, I've watched our CoE closing ranks in the 1990s and early years of this century and the CoE did not have the total stranglehold the RCC did in Ireland during the time this report covers. I spent 6 months in rural Co Cork in 1980 and the hold of the RCC then was scary (partly why I regard Father Ted as a documentary).

Last edited by Carrot Flower King; 12th January 2021 at 12:03 PM.
Carrot Flower King is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th January 2021, 01:03 PM   #1804
Thor 2
Philosopher

You beat me to it. Here is the ABC version:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-01-...ldren/13053132

Quote:
An inquiry has found thousands of infants died in Irish homes for unmarried mothers and their offspring run by the Catholic Church from the 1920s to the 1990s, an "appalling" mortality rate that reflected brutal living conditions.

The report, which covered 18 so-called Mother and Baby Homes where young pregnant women were hidden from society for decades, is the latest in a series of government-commissioned papers that have laid bare some of the Catholic Church's darkest chapters.
Around 9,000 children died in all, Tuesday's report found — a mortality rate of 15 per cent.
So the Irish prime minister is to make a formal apology over deaths of 9,000 children at Catholic-run care homes. ??? I would think the Catholic Church should be making the apologies.
Old 12th January 2021, 05:06 PM   #1805
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena
Pronouns: he/him

Jesus Christ and his black bastard brother Harry, that's horrific. Was this primarily a failing of the Irish church, or is the practice of Mother and Baby Homes carried out elsewhere as well?
Old 12th January 2021, 05:52 PM   #1806
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Thor 2 View Post

So the Irish prime minister is to make a formal apology over deaths of 9,000 children at Catholic-run care homes. ??? I would think the Catholic Church should be making the apologies.
Obviously God hated those little bastards.

Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
Jesus Christ and his black bastard brother Harry, that's horrific. Was this primarily a failing of the Irish church, or is the practice of Mother and Baby Homes carried out elsewhere as well?
In Spain, the church simply sold the children and told their mothers they had died.
Old 12th January 2021, 05:58 PM   #1807
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
In Spain, the church simply sold the children and told their mothers they had died.
Gah! I need a shower now.
Old 12th January 2021, 06:26 PM   #1808
Thor 2
Philosopher

That is some article you linked Trebuchet

Quote:
An amazing 300,000 babies were stolen from their parents between 1939 and the 1990s in Spain.

The priests were busy. I wonder if they had good job satisfaction.
Old 12th January 2021, 08:45 PM   #1809
Carrot Flower King
Muse

The RCC in Spain has a lot to answer for: read something like Paul Preston's The Spanish Holocaust, which contains some horrific details of the church's role and that of individual priests and bishops played in the run up to the events of 1936 and on into the full Franco years.
Old 13th January 2021, 06:36 AM   #1810
Filippo Lippi
Illuminator

Keep in mind that they are eternal and their god is never-changing. He was fine with their actions then, he's fine with it now, he'll be fine with it tomorrow
You can't defeat fascism through debate because it's not simply an idea, proposal or theory. It's a fundamentally flawed way of looking at the world. It's a distorting prism, emotionally charged and completely logic-proof. You may as well challenge rabies to a game of Boggle. @ViolettaCrisis
Filippo Lippi is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th January 2021, 06:41 AM   #1811
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

One does wonder if we shall ever know the full scale of this. How much will remain hidden? I mean, I've watched our CoE closing ranks in the 1990s and early years of this century and the CoE did not have the total stranglehold the RCC did in Ireland during the time this report covers. I spent 6 months in rural Co Cork in 1980 and the hold of the RCC then was scary (partly why I regard Father Ted as a documentary).
It certainly was. Back in the 1980s if you had suggested that the RCC hold and influence on Ireland would be broken and wiped out within a single generation people would have said you were mad.
Old 13th January 2021, 11:55 AM   #1812
Carrot Flower King
Muse

Oh, the RCC does "apologise": https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...e-institutions

However, note this: "The report found no evidence of sexual abuse and little evidence of physical abuse – a version challenged by some survivors".

Of course they found no sodding evidence! Were the possible/probable abusers keeping written records? I suspect sexual abuse would not have been so likely, but physical abuse? Really? How is it being defined?

Last edited by Carrot Flower King; 13th January 2021 at 11:56 AM.
Old 13th January 2021, 11:58 AM   #1813
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by Blue Mountain View Post
Report to reveal scale of abuse at Ireland's mother and baby homes

Results of investigation expected to tell how 9,000 children died in 18 institutions between 1922 and 1998

My note: that's 7 kids a year, every year, at each of the institutions.
That is some good old fashioned baby farming there.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th January 2021, 01:29 PM   #1814
Thor 2
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
It certainly was. Back in the 1980s if you had suggested that the RCC hold and influence on Ireland would be broken and wiped out within a single generation people would have said you were mad.

We have heard many suggestions of this, but when I look at the World Factbook I see the following regarding religion in Ireland:

Roman Catholic 78.3%, Church of Ireland 2.7%, other Christian 1.6%, Orthodox 1.3%, Muslim 1.3%, other 2.4%, none 9.8%, unspecified 2.6% (2016 est.)

Is the CIA information way out of date, or are people just describing themselves as RRC out of habit, although attending mass is a thing of the past?
Old 13th January 2021, 01:36 PM   #1815
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

We have heard many suggestions of this, but when I look at the World Factbook I see the following regarding religion in Ireland:

Roman Catholic 78.3%, Church of Ireland 2.7%, other Christian 1.6%, Orthodox 1.3%, Muslim 1.3%, other 2.4%, none 9.8%, unspecified 2.6% (2016 est.)

Is the CIA information way out of date, or are people just describing themselves as RRC out of habit, although attending mass is a thing of the past?
I took it more to be a statement of the relative power of the church over peoples day to day lives
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th January 2021, 01:43 PM   #1816
Thor 2
Philosopher

Originally Posted by ponderingturtle View Post
I took it more to be a statement of the relative power of the church over peoples day to day lives

So you think they are still attending mass although not taking notice of the priests directives?

On the other hand we have heard abaddon (a resident of Ireland) telling us of Catholic Churches emptying, if I remember correctly.
Old 13th January 2021, 05:03 PM   #1817
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

I believe that the Catholic church in particular has a large number of "cultural Catholics" who profess to be Catholic but rarely practise the faith. I think only Judaism has a larger percentage of non-practising members, but that's largely because it is a cultural identity as well as a religion. Could be wrong about this. It's hard to get good data in this area.
Old 13th January 2021, 08:47 PM   #1818
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger

Would take a generation or two for people to say they have no religion. They do not ask how much influence religion has over their lives. Or how often they go to church.
Old 14th January 2021, 02:48 AM   #1819
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

So you think they are still attending mass although not taking notice of the priests directives?

On the other hand we have heard abaddon (a resident of Ireland) telling us of Catholic Churches emptying, if I remember correctly.
No they no longer attend mass in the numbers they used to do.

But that is an aside to the point that the RCC have lost their hold and influence. One only has to look at recent referendums which have approved the removal of blasphemy as a crime, made abortion legal even when the mother’s life is not in damages and so on. All against heavy opposition by the RCC.
Old 14th January 2021, 06:04 AM   #1820
Carrot Flower King
Muse

^ And that the report just under discussion could have been published and the underlying investigation carried out or that the likes of Catherine Corless were not completely silenced. It's not too long ago that she would have been gagged, no investigation, no report, nothing to see here, no hint of official contrition from the government and certainly not from the RCC and the whole subject would be dismissed as slander and libel put about by atheistical types...
Old 14th January 2021, 02:56 PM   #1821
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

Nope. The gov of the time supported and was complicit. They went along with it.

That the gov should apologise is expected.

The church has dodged.

Because they are bastages.

I have two kids of my own. (both godless heathens). If any such thing occured with them, they would be hollering to high heaven.

But that was not an option for those mothers and children at that time.

The disturbing thing is that it continues to this day.

How do I know that? I live with it every day.

...love and buttercakes...
abaddon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th January 2021, 03:38 PM   #1822
Thor 2
Philosopher

Originally Posted by abaddon View Post
Nope. The gov of the time supported and was complicit. They went along with it.

That the gov should apologise is expected.

The church has dodged.

Because they are bastages.

I have two kids of my own. (both godless heathens). If any such thing occured with them, they would be hollering to high heaven.

But that was not an option for those mothers and children at that time.

The disturbing thing is that it continues to this day.

How do I know that? I live with it every day.

Yes I suppose you are right given that the government at the time was complicit.

Could you perhaps give us a couple of examples of you observations "that it continues to this day"
Old 21st January 2021, 12:47 AM   #1823
Thor 2
Philosopher

And so it goes on:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-01-...ation/13077392

Quote:
A victim who will be awarded $2.45 million in compensation for sexual abuse he suffered at the hands of a Catholic priest has spoken out about the "severe" impact the abuse continues to have on his life.
$2.45 million wow! How many of these sort of judgments can the RCC stand?
Old 21st January 2021, 03:01 AM   #1824
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger

And so it goes on:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-01-...ation/13077392

$2.45 million wow! How many of these sort of judgments can the RCC stand?
I am sure the RCC could afford to pay heaps of these.
Old 21st January 2021, 05:27 AM   #1825
Carrot Flower King
Muse

^Or will they try the trick threatened by a couple of Merkinanian diocese, of declaring bankruptcy in order to avoid paying up?
Old 21st January 2021, 02:17 PM   #1826
Thor 2
Philosopher

Originally Posted by rjh01 View Post
I am sure the RCC could afford to pay heaps of these.
^Or will they try the trick threatened by a couple of Merkinanian diocese, of declaring bankruptcy in order to avoid paying up?

Investigation of wealth of RCC in Australia:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-02-12/catholic-church-worth-$30-billion-investigation-finds/9422246

Quote:
Catholic Church national wealth estimated to be $30 billion, investigation finds

Fairfax's six-month investigation found the Catholic Church was worth more than $9 billion in Victoria alone.

For instance, the Catholic Church told the royal commission it was worth $109 million in Victoria, based largely on historical costs of property rather than market rates.
At the same time, protection of the church's assets has long been cited as a reason to minimise the payouts to sex abuse victims.

Some church authorities are telling porkies perhaps ...... surely not.
Old 21st January 2021, 02:32 PM   #1827
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

The Church has a long history of not holding itself accountable to secular authorities.
Old 21st January 2021, 02:53 PM   #1828
Filippo Lippi
Illuminator

Their magical friend forgives all their wrongdoing
You can't defeat fascism through debate because it's not simply an idea, proposal or theory. It's a fundamentally flawed way of looking at the world. It's a distorting prism, emotionally charged and completely logic-proof. You may as well challenge rabies to a game of Boggle. @ViolettaCrisis
Filippo Lippi is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st January 2021, 02:56 PM   #1829
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Originally Posted by Filippo Lippi View Post
Their magical friend forgives all their wrongdoing
Not so much that, but the church deals with its own. Badly, sometimes, as it turns out.
Old Yesterday, 12:08 AM   #1830
Tassman
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
The Church has a long history of not holding itself accountable to secular authorities.
Oh, but the Church is well above mere secular authorities, dontcha-know? It's accountable only to God
Old Yesterday, 01:27 PM   #1831
Thor 2
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Tassman View Post
Oh, but the Church is well above mere secular authorities, dontcha-know? It's accountable only to God

Yes indeed.

It's accountable to a god they have shaped over the years.
Old Today, 12:29 AM   #1832
Lupus
Scholar

This thread reminds me of this dumb video,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wLEd9fVev3Q
Lupus is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 09:16 AM   #1833
Gord_in_Toronto
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Lupus View Post
This thread reminds me of this dumb video,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wLEd9fVev3Q
Should I be applying Poe's Law?
Old Today, 12:17 PM   #1834
Lupus
Scholar

Originally Posted by Gord_in_Toronto View Post
Should I be applying Poe's Law?
You mean you don't want Catholic State?

Yeah, you could.
Lupus is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy