IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Capitol riot , donald trump , protest incidents , Trump controversies , Washington DC incidents

Old 13th January 2021, 12:43 PM   #1961
johnny karate
... and your little dog too.

Originally Posted by Checkmite View Post
Absolutely none of the people who want their guns in the House were in any danger last week. And I strongly suspect that they know it.
If this turns out to be true (and we’re already seeing this beginning to play out), how long before some of the underlings start rolling over on the higher ups?

There’s a strong probability that if members of Congress were involved, we won’t need to rely on their Tweets for evidence. We’ll have witness testimony and possibly even documentation.
johnny karate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th January 2021, 12:55 PM   #1962
Dave Rogers
Bandaged ice that stampedes inexpensively through a scribbled morning waving necessary ankles

Absolutely none of the people who want their guns in the House were in any danger last week. And I strongly suspect that they know it.
You think the Trumpistas were smart enough to figure out who was a Democrat and who was a Republican?

Dave

- Myriad
Dave Rogers is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th January 2021, 12:57 PM   #1963
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Dave Rogers View Post
If the rioters were staying in Airbnb's, that's another data point in favour of this being a middle class revolution.

Dave
Not necessarily. It's not like all the AirB&Bs are 4 stars or anything. The city of DC proper has a lot of slums.
Old 13th January 2021, 01:00 PM   #1964
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
She tweeted real time when the Speaker had left the Chambers. That's enough for me to call it aiding the rioters unless someone can come up with a valid (valid) reason to point that out otherwise.
Speaking of said tweet, it should be easy to track who she sent it to and where said person was when it was received.

More evidence of dull knives.

Sorry, thought she texted it when actually she tweeted it.

Last edited by Skeptic Ginger; 13th January 2021 at 01:07 PM.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th January 2021, 01:03 PM   #1965
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

That thread makes her carrying a gun into the House Chambers even more ominous.
Old 13th January 2021, 01:06 PM   #1966
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Aridas View Post
She's likely the one that tweeted something like "This is Independence Day!" earlier in the day and then, during the actual events, tweeted locations. "We're locked in the House Chambers" and "The Speaker has exited the Chambers" seemingly as it happened.

Inside informant, in short.

ETA: Hmm. To provide a link, then...

Looks like I wasn't far off. She's also been heavily pushing the stolen election stuff, of course, and much of the surrounding BS that that entails.
If it was tweeting one cannot so easily find the intended message targets.

Last edited by Skeptic Ginger; 13th January 2021 at 01:07 PM.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th January 2021, 01:09 PM   #1967
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Meadmaker View Post
She was providing eyewitness news in real time. She was describing an important event. I saw the same thing on the television. The reporters said that Nancy Pelosi and Mike Pence had been whisked away to safety. It was a way of emphasizing the gravity of the situation.

The woman you are talking about is a crackpot, but that particular tweet was not something nefarious. At the very least, the most straightforward reading of that tweet is simply a typical eyewitness account of an event.
Depends on the whole of the evidence.
Old 13th January 2021, 01:16 PM   #1968
No Other
Muse

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
Not necessarily. It's not like all the AirB&Bs are 4 stars or anything. The city of DC proper has a lot of slums.
So true about Airbnb's. To cancel ALL reservations is a really weird reach. Are the airlines going to cancel reservations? What about cell coverage, will DC be shut down on Inauguration Day?
No Other is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th January 2021, 01:17 PM   #1969
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

You think the Trumpistas were smart enough to figure out who was a Democrat and who was a Republican?

Dave
Absolutely.

While there are certainly easy-to-make-fun-of individuals like the one guy who was arrested at his grandmother's house, do not be misled into thinking the Capitol Putsch was put on by a bunch of yokels. We're learning that some of the offenders that had the biggest roles were small business CEOs, politicians themselves, retired military officers, and the like.

I'm not saying it's reasonable to assume that any of them could tell every Democrat from every Republican on sight necessarily; but the "rabble rousers", the allies, the kind who insist on being allowed to carry personal weapons into the House chambers for instance? Oh yeah, they know who those people are, definitely.
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th January 2021, 01:18 PM   #1970
No Other
Muse

If it was tweeting one cannot so easily find the intended message targets.
What you say I find interesting. Would this be why some use Twitter versus Texting? or is it just easier to reach more people via Twitter?
No Other is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th January 2021, 01:19 PM   #1971
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Absolutely.

While there are certainly easy-to-make-fun-of individuals like the one guy who was arrested at his grandmother's house, do not be misled into thinking the Capitol Putsch was put on by a bunch of yokels. We're learning that some of the offenders that had the biggest roles were small business CEOs, politicians themselves, retired military officers, and the like.

I'm not saying it's reasonable to assume that any of them could tell every Democrat from every Republican on sight necessarily; but the "rabble rousers", the allies, the kind who insist on being allowed to carry personal weapons into the House chambers for instance? Oh yeah, they know who those people are, definitely.
And not one has the courage of their stated convictions. There is no "I regret that I have but one life to give for my country" it's all "Yes I was a navy SEAL but how was I supposed to know violently storming the Capital was a crime?"
ponderingturtle is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th January 2021, 01:22 PM   #1972
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by No Other View Post
What does that mean?
It means the President cannot nullify an impeachment. Suppose the House impeaches and the Senate convicts a judge, as has happened a few times in American history. The judge is removed from the bench. The President cannot pardon the judge, undoing the impeachment and conviction.
Old 13th January 2021, 01:23 PM   #1973
No Other
Muse

It means the President cannot nullify an impeachment. Suppose the House impeaches and the Senate convicts a judge, as has happened a few times in American history. The judge is removed from the bench. The President cannot pardon the judge, undoing the impeachment and conviction.
That makes perfect sense... thanks
Old 13th January 2021, 01:26 PM   #1974
dasmiller
Just the right amount of cowbell

I hadn't previously heard that interpretation, but that makes a lot of sense to me.

If one re-reads my earlier post(s) on the subject . . . umm . . . maybe nobody should re-read my earlier post(s) on the subject.
Old 13th January 2021, 01:28 PM   #1975
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Not sure what tho think of this.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...gn=wp_national

Surely there weren't any membrs of congress who actually assissted in the planning of this insurrection?
If you don't like my posts, my opinions, or my directness then put me on your ignore list. This will be of benefit to both of us; you won't have to take umbrage at my posts, and I won't have to waste my time talking to you... simples! !
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th January 2021, 01:30 PM   #1976
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

So true about Airbnb's. To cancel ALL reservations is a really weird reach. Are the airlines going to cancel reservations? What about cell coverage, will DC be shut down on Inauguration Day?
That would be a great idea.
If you don't like my posts, my opinions, or my directness then put me on your ignore list. This will be of benefit to both of us; you won't have to take umbrage at my posts, and I won't have to waste my time talking to you... simples! !
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th January 2021, 01:35 PM   #1977
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Squeegee Beckenheim View Post
She's allowed a gun in the Capitol, not in the House chamber.
Probably for the same reason the benches in the House of Commons and House of Lords at Westminster are two sword lengths apart, just updated a bit.
Captain_Swoop is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th January 2021, 01:44 PM   #1978
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Oh FFS let's Heisenberg it, she only told the rioting crowd Pelosi's position, not her momentum so it's all okay....
I nomed that, but I think you have it wrong.

She posted the momentum but not the exact position.

Last edited by Skeptic Ginger; 13th January 2021 at 01:45 PM.
Old 13th January 2021, 02:18 PM   #1979
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by johnny karate View Post
Yes, but this information was provided in real time. It would tell someone looking for Pelosi at that moment where to go. Especially, as Checkmite pointed out, if they knew the lay out of the building.

And again, Congress members were specifically told not to reveal this information.

They were specifically told by the Sergeant At Arms not to make ANY social media posts at all.

"As an elected officer of the House of Representatives, the Sergeant-at-Arms is the chief law enforcement and protocol officer of the House of Representatives, and is responsible for maintaining order in the House side of the United States Capitol complex"''

When you are in the Capitol, whether you are a janitor or a Congressman or the Speaker of the House, and the Sergeant-at-Arms tells you to do something, you do it immediately, without question and without argument. Your safety is his responsibility

Last edited by smartcooky; 13th January 2021 at 02:26 PM.
Old 13th January 2021, 02:19 PM   #1980
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

He has just been impeached apparently, according to the radio.

The wording was they have reached the numbers to have him impeached.

I think they said 8 Rep voted for it as well

2007 https://www.nbcnews.com/id/wbna16911044
cullennz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th January 2021, 02:20 PM   #1981
Kestrel
Philosopher

What does that mean?
Autocorrect glitch. That should have been Constitution.
Kestrel is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th January 2021, 02:21 PM   #1982
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by cullennz View Post
He has just been impeached apparently, according to the radio.

The wording was they have reached the numbers to have him impeached.

I think they said 8 Rep voted for it as well
231 (all Democrats + 10 Republicans) to 197 (all Republican). Still waiting on 5 votes.
JoeMorgue is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th January 2021, 02:22 PM   #1983
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

231 (all Democrats + 10 Republicans) to 197 (all Republican). Still waiting on 5 votes.

Well if he wanted to get in the history books, he has now.

Only Prez to be impeached twice.

2007 https://www.nbcnews.com/id/wbna16911044
cullennz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th January 2021, 02:40 PM   #1984
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

So do most cities. But slumdwellers rarely offer their properties on AirBnB, at least not after the first couple bad reviews.
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th January 2021, 02:41 PM   #1985
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Probably for the same reason the benches in the House of Commons and House of Lords at Westminster are two sword lengths apart, just updated a bit.
Are they allowed to bring swords to sessions? Repub congressmen seem to think they should be able to pack heat.
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th January 2021, 02:47 PM   #1986
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Trumps approval rating is like Corporal Hicks' "express elevator to Hell..."

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com...roval-ratings/

"...going down"

.... fast!

Last edited by smartcooky; 13th January 2021 at 02:49 PM.
Old 13th January 2021, 02:50 PM   #1987
RecoveringYuppy
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
Trumps approval rating is like Corporal Hicks' "express elevator to Hell..."

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com...roval-ratings/

"...going down"

.... fast!
Wow. So we finally found out what it takes to move that number. It still hasn't passed his all time low though.
RecoveringYuppy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th January 2021, 02:58 PM   #1988
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Congresswoman Debbie Lesko tweeted
@RepDLesko
For members of Congress to enter the floor of the U.S. House, we now have to go through intense security measures, on top of the security we already go through. These new provisions include searches and being wanded like criminals. We now live in Pelosi’s communist America!
Captain_Swoop is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th January 2021, 03:07 PM   #1989
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by RecoveringYuppy View Post
Wow. So we finally found out what it takes to move that number.
Yep, and that's probably because there are a couple of recent, low quality, weighted "pro Trump" polls in the mix such as Rasmussen and HarrisX. If you look at the numbers in the higher quality, more neutral polls such as YouGov, Quinnipiac & Morning Consult, you see what is probably a more accurate picture

YouGov (39% App -55% Dis)
Morning Consult (34% App -63% Dis)
Quinnipiac (33% App -60% Dis)

Originally Posted by RecoveringYuppy View Post
It still hasn't passed his all time low though.
True, but it's heading there.
Old 13th January 2021, 03:09 PM   #1990
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

@RepDLesko
For members of Congress to enter the floor of the U.S. House, we now have to go through intense security measures, on top of the security we already go through. These new provisions include searches and being wanded like criminals. everyone who boards a plane, or enters any other high security building in most of the rest of the world
FTFH
Old 13th January 2021, 03:10 PM   #1991
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
FTFH
Or in the USA any kid going in to a school.
Old 13th January 2021, 03:10 PM   #1992
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena
Pronouns: he/him

Originally Posted by ponderingturtle View Post
Of course the insurgents are not working class, working class people can not take off on a Wednesday and travel across the country to sack the capital. That requires wealth and status to be able to do.
They can if they've been stood down because of COVID.
Old 13th January 2021, 03:17 PM   #1993
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Dave
The guy who had the home-made napalm in his truck also had a list of "good guys" and "bad guys", as well as the telephone numbers of two of Ted Cruz's offices.
Old 13th January 2021, 03:23 PM   #1994
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Ben Shapiro tweets

@benshapiro
Literally every regular human I know owns zip ties. This is like Pauline Kael on steroids. https://twitter.com/wolfe321/status/1349177352459313154
Old 13th January 2021, 03:25 PM   #1995
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

@RepDLesko
For members of Congress to enter the floor of the U.S. House, we now have to go through intense security measures, on top of the security we already go through. These new provisions include searches and being wanded like criminals. We now live in Pelosi’s communist America!
https://twitter.com/RashidaTlaib/sta...68820821360642

Quote:
Just had to go through a metal detector before entering the House floor. Some colleagues are frustrated (guess which ones) by this requirement. Now they know how HS students in my district feel. Suck it up buttercups. Y’all brought this on yourselves.
Old 13th January 2021, 03:35 PM   #1996
crescent
Illuminator

Ben Shapiro tweets

@benshapiro
Literally every regular human I know owns zip ties. This is like Pauline Kael on steroids. https://twitter.com/wolfe321/status/1349177352459313154
He deleted it already.

Probably got schooled on the difference between flexcuffs and plain old cable ties.
crescent is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th January 2021, 03:36 PM   #1997
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena
Pronouns: he/him

Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post
Are they allowed to bring swords to sessions? Repub congressmen seem to think they should be able to pack heat.
There's always the Mace.
Old 13th January 2021, 03:44 PM   #1998
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Squeegee Beckenheim View Post
Hah, that's hilarious. Rashida Tlaib, a person with Palestinian roots, with an obviously Arabic sounding name, telling a redneck to "Suck it up buttercups. Y’all brought this on yourselves."
Old 13th January 2021, 03:45 PM   #1999
angrysoba
Philosophile

Originally Posted by zooterkin View Post
Well, she's not saying where they are, but where they've left.
It doesn't matter. She should not have been tweeting anything like that at all.

The House should investigate her as a potential collaborator with those outside. If she was not actively assisting them, then she is surely too stupid to be a representative.
"The thief and the murderer follow nature just as much as the philanthropist. Cosmic evolution may teach us how the good and the evil tendencies of man may have come about; but, in itself, it is incompetent to furnish any better reason why what we call good is preferable to what we call evil than we had before."

"Evolution and Ethics" T.H. Huxley (1893)
angrysoba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th January 2021, 04:00 PM   #2000
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post
So do most cities. But slumdwellers rarely offer their properties on AirBnB, at least not after the first couple bad reviews.
Again, it depends on the event. Sometimes people rent places in the low-end part of town and stay in groups. This would have been one of those events.

And not all tourists are on a high end tour. My son and his friend stayed at the youth hostel in DC when they went. They traveled across the country on Greyhound.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events