IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 10th January 2021, 09:29 PM   #41
ChristianProgressive
Master Poster

Originally Posted by shemp View Post
Perhaps Trump can establish an account on ISF and bring his millions of followers here! Wouldn't that be wonderful?
We deal with enough BS from the ones we already have.
"As it was in the days of Noah, so will it be at the coming of the Son of Man." - Matthew 24:37

"And when these things begin to come to pass, then look up, and lift up your heads; for your redemption draweth nigh." - Luke 21:28
ChristianProgressive is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th January 2021, 09:30 PM   #42
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

Originally Posted by wareyin View Post
Yeah, let's ignore Parlor refusing to police themselves while hosting people planning violence and pretend it's someone else's fault! /s
You give that stawman a good flogging for me too.
Sideroxylon is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th January 2021, 09:32 PM   #43
ChristianProgressive
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Sideroxylon View Post
With commercial value about to plummet they make this decision.

Not comfortable with even the perception of technology giants as speech gatekeepers.
Their platform, their responsibility.
"As it was in the days of Noah, so will it be at the coming of the Son of Man." - Matthew 24:37

"And when these things begin to come to pass, then look up, and lift up your heads; for your redemption draweth nigh." - Luke 21:28
ChristianProgressive is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th January 2021, 09:51 PM   #44
wareyin
Philosopher

I'm sorry, did I mistakenly take your meaning wrong? Who is at fault for Parlor no longer being on web stores or hosted on cloud services?

Rereading your posts still makes me think you're more worried about Google dropping Parlor for violating their terms than you are that Parlor brought it on themselves and really should have been dropped long ago.
wareyin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th January 2021, 10:34 PM   #45
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Yeah, let's ignore Parlor refusing to police themselves while hosting people planning violence and pretend it's someone else's fault! /s
I'm sorry, did I mistakenly take your meaning wrong? Who is at fault for Parlor no longer being on web stores or hosted on cloud services?

Rereading your posts still makes me think you're more worried about Google dropping Parlor for violating their terms than you are that Parlor brought it on themselves and really should have been dropped long ago.
This.

If Parlor want to stay on the air, there is a really simple way they can do that...become their OWN ISP, and host their OWN content. Then they can make their own rules and do not have to be beholden to anyone for their existence.

The Government wont shut them down, because that would be a violation of their 1A rights.
If you don't like my posts, my opinions, or my directness then put me on your ignore list. This will be of benefit to both of us; you won't have to take umbrage at my posts, and I won't have to waste my time talking to you... simples! !
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th January 2021, 02:15 AM   #46
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Not a social media site, but the PGA has cancelled it's 2022 Championship TOurney which was scheduled at a Trump owned Golf Course in New Jersey,and will relocate to another Gold Course.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th January 2021, 06:19 AM   #47
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

It was just commented on CNN how weird it is not to have had several Trump tweets or reports in the last few days. I agree. I kind of looked forward to that craziness every morning.

There are apps I've never even heard of that are disbarring him. The one that made me laugh is Stripe, apparently a money-handling process.
Old 11th January 2021, 06:27 AM   #48
dirtywick
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Armitage72 View Post
lol something funny about trump losing his moddb account
dirtywick is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th January 2021, 06:29 AM   #49
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

It scares me that Trump still (ostensibly, it's really hard to get a firm grip on exactly how many loops Trump has been cut out of at this point) has access to the EAS.

I keep waiting to hear my TV make that squeal siren and start reading "IT'S ALL FAKE! THE ELECTION WAS STOLEN!" start scrolling across the screen.
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th January 2021, 06:54 AM   #50
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
It scares me that Trump still (ostensibly, it's really hard to get a firm grip on exactly how many loops Trump has been cut out of at this point) has access to the EAS.

I keep waiting to hear my TV make that squeal siren and start reading "IT'S ALL FAKE! THE ELECTION WAS STOLEN!" start scrolling across the screen.
That reminds me. It was 1pm local time Jan 6 when our nuke sirens went off. (OK, tornado alert.) Of course, it was the standard scheduled monthly test, but I was watching the riot escalate at the time.

Then about 2:30 an EMERGENCY ALERT card came up on the TV. It was another required monthly test, but they usually do those at like, 3am.

Both of those sounds I find particularly hair-raising. Especially so that day.
Old 13th January 2021, 09:10 AM   #51
turingtest
Mistral, mistral wind...

Add to the "tweets from the past that don't age well" file (Twitter)-

Quote:
Loser terrorists must be dealt with in a much tougher manner.The internet is their main recruitment tool which we must cut off & use better! Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) September 15, 2017

Life was a short shelf that came with bookends- Stephen King
turingtest is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th January 2021, 09:17 AM   #52
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Apparently Kushner is the one who talked Trump down from joining Fringe Sites like a Gab and Parlor after he was banned from all mainstream ones.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/01/13/polit...ent/index.html
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th January 2021, 10:43 AM   #53
Armitage72
Philosopher

Apparently Kushner is the one who talked Trump down from joining Fringe Sites like a Gab and Parlor after he was banned from all mainstream ones.

See? It's like people have said. His (((son-in-law))) is the reason he couldn't keep all of his promises to the American people. Now he's keeping him from communicating with his supporters.
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th January 2021, 04:25 AM   #54
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Armitage72 View Post
See? It's like people have said. His (((son-in-law))) is the reason he couldn't keep all of his promises to the American people. Now he's keeping him from communicating with his supporters.
Conspiracy!!!!!! The JOOS are to blame!!!!!
If you don't like my posts, my opinions, or my directness then put me on your ignore list. This will be of benefit to both of us; you won't have to take umbrage at my posts, and I won't have to waste my time talking to you... simples! !
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th January 2021, 12:55 PM   #55
Reformed Offlian
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
I am trying to think of what those sites might be. Twitter, Facebook, Snapchat, and Instagram are obvious. Probably TicToc and Youtube too (if Trump or the administration had an account on either.) What other social media sites are there?

(I know he's been taken off Shopify, but I'm not sure that counts as a social media site.)
Does something like linkedIn count?
Reformed Offlian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th January 2021, 01:19 PM   #56
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

I'm surprised Trump hasn't tried to set up a tinder or grindr account...

"Gelatinous blob in search of gullible followers. Swipe right if you support terrorism."

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th January 2021, 01:21 PM   #57
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Trump going through his closest looking for his old Ham Radio...

Trump angrily talking about the Deep State stealing the election on Amazon reviews of curtain rods...

Trump leaves Congress a 1-Star Yelp review...
Old 14th January 2021, 01:23 PM   #58
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Trump going through his closest looking for his old Ham Radio...
He'd be disappointed to find that his Ham radio wasn't actually MADE of ham.

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th January 2021, 01:34 PM   #59
Monza
Alta Viro

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
As for the claims that Trump is being muzzled by big tech, that is just a big fat lie. Trump is the president (at least for the next few days) - he has his own bully pulpit, he can call a press conference and tell anyone in the world anything he wants.

As I read on Twitter recently, Trump has a full press office inside his home.
Monza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th January 2021, 01:48 PM   #60
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

He's the President. He literally has a Press Corp.

I don't have my own Press Corp and I'm not feeling particularly censored by big government.
Old 14th January 2021, 02:11 PM   #61
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Trump going through his closest looking for his old Ham CB Radio...
FTFY, because Dumpf wouldn't have the intelligence to pass the Amateur Radio technical exam (and if American HAM radio license testing is anywhere near as difficult as ours used to be, getting someone else to sit it is a non-starter)
Old 14th January 2021, 02:15 PM   #62
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

I got a feeling he will not be welcome in the World's most exclusive club either: The Ex Presidents of the United States.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th January 2021, 02:22 PM   #63
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

He's the President. He literally has a Press Corp.

I don't have my own Press Corp and I'm not feeling particularly censored by big government.
I can't help but feel the same.

Tindr will never be the same without him, though.

If I had a pet panda I would name it Snowflake.
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th January 2021, 03:13 PM   #64
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
I got a feeling he will not be welcome in the World's most exclusive club either: The Ex Presidents of the United States.
I'm rather disappointed that they never did an intervention. That would have been an interesting meeting.
Old 14th January 2021, 03:19 PM   #65
Dread Pirate Roberts
Thinker

Now I need to rewatch Point Break!
Dread Pirate Roberts is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th January 2021, 09:54 PM   #66
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
It was just commented on CNN how weird it is not to have had several Trump tweets or reports in the last few days. I agree. I kind of looked forward to that craziness every morning.

There are apps I've never even heard of that are disbarring him. The one that made me laugh is Stripe, apparently a money-handling process.
Stripe isn't a social media service. It's the credit card processing service the Trump campaign used for online donations. When Stripe dropped Trump, he couldn't do small donor fundraising anymore.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th January 2021, 10:37 AM   #67
Gord_in_Toronto
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
FTFY, because Dumpf wouldn't have the intelligence to pass the Amateur Radio technical exam (and if American HAM radio license testing is anywhere near as difficult as ours used to be, getting someone else to sit it is a non-starter)
Maybe he has a working CB radio? Though the thought comes to mind, "Does anyone else have one?"
Old 8th February 2021, 03:52 PM   #68
kookbreaker
Evil Fokker

Bumping this. Apparently Gateway Pundit has been banned from Twitter, one of the main proponents of the ‘stolen election’ story.

https://www.businessinsider.com/twit...im-hoft-2021-2

Thanks for helping me win Best Toys in Philly Voter in 2011,2012, and 2014! We won' be discussing the disappointment that was 2013.
kookbreaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th February 2021, 05:45 PM   #69
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

It looks like Gab really wants Trump on it, and has said some... not nice... things about Kushner.

Gab chief executive Andrew Torba says Donald Trump does not use the social media platform, after false reports in the media claimed that he does....He continued: The only reason hes not using it right now to contact his base is because dopey advisers like Jared Kushner, who lost him the election, are blocking him from using it.

Ironic.... he seems to be a Trump fan-boy blaming Trump's loss on advisors, but ignores the fact that Trump claims he actually won the election.

We are Groot - Groot
Old 8th February 2021, 06:07 PM   #70
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

It looks like Gab really wants Trump on it, and has said some... not nice... things about Kushner.

Gab chief executive Andrew Torba says Donald Trump does not use the social media platform, after false reports in the media claimed that he does....He continued: The only reason hes not using it right now to contact his base is because dopey advisers like Jared Kushner, who lost him the election, are blocking him from using it.

Ironic.... he seems to be a Trump fan-boy blaming Trump's loss on advisors, but ignores the fact that Trump claims he actually won the election.
That's wierd.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th February 2021, 02:00 AM   #71
Firestone
Proud Award Award recipient

It makes perfect sense in MAGA-logic.

Trump won the election bigly.
But then "they" cheated, and found votes for Biden, or flipped votes, or whatever, so Biden was declared the "winner".

What then happened is that Trump and friends did everything to undo the cheat: from lawsuits to aggrieved patriots peacefully storming the Capitol to hang Mike Pence.

Who helped Trump in this sacred endeavour? Many people, including his sons Don Jr. and Eric.
Who didn't help? The Kushners.

The Kushners didn't tweet about the steal, they didn't help plot the strategy to keep Trump in the WH.
Remember the crazy meeting in the WH with Powell, Flynn, where Giuliani was "the voice of reason" and Cipollone and other aides had to fight to keep the crazies in check? Where was the "advisor to the President" Ivanka? Where was the "senior advisor to the President" (((Jared)))? Missing in action.

No wonder MAGA-world blames them.

Last edited by Firestone; 9th February 2021 at 02:06 AM.
Firestone is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th February 2021, 05:25 AM   #72
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Torba, a noted antisemite, has long had a vendetta against Kushner tying in to "Jews are the puppeteers of the world" conspiracy theories. He's probably not wrong that Kushner wields a fair amount of influence over Trump, because he's fairly shrewd, Trump is easily influenced, and he's married to Trump's wife favourite daughter. But Torba is saying things like that because he's antisemetic and Kushner is Jewish.
Old 10th February 2021, 01:49 PM   #73
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Squeegee Beckenheim View Post
Torba, a noted antisemite, has long had a vendetta against Kushner tying in to "Jews are the puppeteers of the world" conspiracy theories. He's probably not wrong that Kushner wields a fair amount of influence over Trump, because he's fairly shrewd, Trump is easily influenced, and he's married to Trump's wife favourite daughter. But Torba is saying things like that because he's antisemetic and Kushner is Jewish.
Anti Semitism is one the rise very quickly in the MAGA movement. I think it has always been there. I have seen plenty of posts of the "I love Donald but he needs to get rid of that Jew Son In Law" kind for a couple of years now. Not surprised it is coming out into the open.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 10th February 2021, 01:50 PM   #74
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Twitter just annoucned the ban on Trump is premanent, even if he runs for public office.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 10th February 2021, 08:13 PM   #75
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Twitter just annoucned the ban on Trump is premanent, even if he runs for public office.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th February 2021, 08:30 PM   #76
Regnad Kcin
Penultimate Amazing

To be honest, Im not sure how I feel about that.

J/K, I feel great!
Old 10th February 2021, 09:45 PM   #77
Babbylonian
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Regnad Kcin View Post
To be honest, Im not sure how I feel about that.

J/K, I feel great!
You needn't worry about it. If Trump makes a credible run at the next Republican nomination (after the Senate inevitably takes no action to prevent it) then Twitter will absolutely relent and reinstate his account.
Babbylonian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th February 2021, 11:41 PM   #78
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Babbylonian View Post
You needn't worry about it. If Trump makes a credible run at the next Republican nomination (after the Senate inevitably takes no action to prevent it) then Twitter will absolutely relent and reinstate his account.
What makes you think that? Can you cite any case where a person has been banned and had their account reinstated?
Quote:
Donald Trump’s ban from the social media platform Twitter is going to stick even if he runs for the White House again – and even if he won again, a senior executive said on Wednesday.

The former president’s permanent block from Twitter is permanent, Twitter’s chief financial officer, Ned Segal, said during an interview on CNBC when he was asked whether Trump’s tweeting privileges could be restored if he ever returns to power.

“The way our policies work, when you’re removed from the platform, you’re removed from the platform,” Segal said.

He added: “Whether you’re a commentator, you’re a CFO, or you are a former or current public official. Remember, our policies are designed to make sure that people are not inciting violence, and if anybody does that, we have to remove them from the service and our policies don’t allow people to come back.”
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...t-social-media
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th February 2021, 12:03 AM   #79
Babbylonian
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
What makes you think that? Can you cite any case where a person has been banned and had their account reinstated?

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...t-social-media
I think it because I don't trust Twitter, Facebook, or any of them. Citing precedent is irrelevant in this situation because it's unique.

Don't misunderstand me, though. I would be happy to be proven wrong.

However, Trump was violating Twitter's rules for over four ******* years. He was lying and inciting against the public interest the whole time. If you believe they let that go on for so long for any reason but their financial interest, you're crazy. If they think they'll make money by coming up with an excuse to reinstate them, I think they'll do it. Again, I hope they don't, but I'm not optimistic.

Last edited by Babbylonian; 11th February 2021 at 12:05 AM.
Babbylonian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th February 2021, 01:46 AM   #80
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Babbylonian View Post
I think it because I don't trust Twitter, Facebook, or any of them. Citing precedent is irrelevant in this situation because it's unique.

Don't misunderstand me, though. I would be happy to be proven wrong.

However, Trump was violating Twitter's rules for over four ******* years. He was lying and inciting against the public interest the whole time. If you believe they let that go on for so long for any reason but their financial interest, you're crazy. If they think they'll make money by coming up with an excuse to reinstate them, I think they'll do it. Again, I hope they don't, but I'm not optimistic.
You make good points. It's certainly not implausible.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics