IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Capitol riot , domestic terrorism , terrorism

Old 16th January 2021, 12:08 PM   #1
Venom
Illuminator

post-Trump American insurgency

Retired Army Gen. Stanley McChrystal and Australian counterinsurgency expert David Kilcullen have said the recent incident at the Capitol is a warning sign of a possible impending home-grown insurgency, the culmination of years, perhaps decades of increasing political and social tensions.

We see how the insurrectionists and reenergized private militias recruit from military and law enforcement, a tactic commonly used in Arab countries and Central Asia.

White supremacist militants in particular appear to have ties with European white supremacist organizations, according to counterterrorism experts in the FBI.

I hate to say I think we have some dark days ahead of us. Scary to think a large chunk of the Republican base may sympathize with the insurgents. And it was unthinkable to me that we would find any sympathizers in Congress, but that might become true in the near future.

Last edited by Venom; 16th January 2021 at 12:11 PM.
Venom is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th January 2021, 12:25 PM   #2
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Venom View Post
Retired Army Gen. Stanley McChrystal and Australian counterinsurgency expert David Kilcullen have said the recent incident at the Capitol is a warning sign of a possible impending home-grown insurgency, the culmination of years, perhaps decades of increasing political and social tensions.

We see how the insurrectionists and reenergized private militias recruit from military and law enforcement, a tactic commonly used in Arab countries and Central Asia.

White supremacist militants in particular appear to have ties with European white supremacist organizations, according to counterterrorism experts in the FBI.

I hate to say I think we have some dark days ahead of us. Scary to think a large chunk of the Republican base may sympathize with the insurgents. And it was unthinkable to me that we would find any sympathizers in Congress, but that might become true in the near future.
So maybe my suggestion it was time for people on the left to buy a gun was not so crazy after all?

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th January 2021, 12:56 PM   #3
Venom
Illuminator

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
So maybe my suggestion it was time for people on the left to buy a gun was not so crazy after all?
What are the numbers of gun owners by political affiliation?
Venom is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th January 2021, 03:07 PM   #4
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

What are the numbers of gun owners by political affiliation?
I recall from another thread that known R's outnumber known D's in terms of being gun owners, but really blow rhem away in terms of how many guns owned per individual (Dem owners have far fewer weapons per owner).

Keep in mind with the vast, overwhelming number of both gun nuts and far right extremists: there's a lot of gun-waving, and relatively little trigger-pulling. As a group, they are far more bark than bite.

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect -Mark Twain
Thermal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th January 2021, 03:16 PM   #5
zorro99
Muse

Who is or are the leaders of this insurgency? Trump? Jr? Tucker Carlson? That Proud Boy guy? Id like to know.
Old 16th January 2021, 03:37 PM   #6
sackett
Philosopher

Originally Posted by zorro99 View Post
Who is or are the leaders of this insurgency? Trump? Jr? Tucker Carlson? That Proud Boy guy? I’d like to know.
Cogent questions. I doubt that any movement of their sort can exist without a single leader. Put simply: no fascism without a Duce.

Given the scattered and undisciplined nature of the violent right in the USA, a large, coordinated rising is surely impossible. The brutes would fall to fighting more among themselves than against the overwhelming force of the Federal government.

But if somebody yearns for a wittle gun of his own, yeah, let him run out and buy one. Then he can try to buy ammo for it. A second mortgage might be necessary. Not I disapprove one damn bit.

If you would ruin a man's character, let him seize power.

Last edited by sackett; 16th January 2021 at 04:13 PM. Reason: Trying not to sound nasty. Well, I can try.
sackett is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th January 2021, 03:39 PM   #7
Venom
Illuminator

Originally Posted by zorro99 View Post
Who is or are the leaders of this insurgency? Trump? Jr? Tucker Carlson? That Proud Boy guy? Id like to know.
Probably the leaders of lesser known but more violent organizations. No centralized leadership.

As someone in another thread pointed out the U.S. is better equipped to deal with a domestic threat than fragile or failed states given the resources the government has.

But I think the deep divisions in the country are problematic. I don't wanna see suburban knuckleheads calling these terrorists "heroes".
Old 16th January 2021, 03:49 PM   #8
Shalamar
Dark Lord of the JREF

Probably the leaders of lesser known but more violent organizations. No centralized leadership.

As someone in another thread pointed out the U.S. is better equipped to deal with a domestic threat than fragile or failed states given the resources the government has.

But I think the deep divisions in the country are problematic. I don't wanna see suburban knuckleheads calling these terrorists "heroes".

They'll be called heros if an insurgency happens, with the added benefit of 'Look at those stupid libs getting upset at being murdered! LOL!'

"The truth is out there. But the lies are inside your head."
Shalamar is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th January 2021, 04:56 PM   #9
Venom
Illuminator

Originally Posted by sackett View Post
Cogent questions. I doubt that any movement of their sort can exist without a single leader. Put simply: no fascism without a Duce.
You assume a fascist uprising in particular, but it doesn't have to be. The militia movement of the 1990s was primarily anti-big government.

That being said they seem to go far harder against Democratic administrations since. Donald Trump saying "take the guns first..." caused some alarm among them. I think if insurgency erupts during Biden's administration they will be led by a few obscure figures who aren't initially household names.

I kind of hope Biden drops his whole anti-gun plan. Probably won't happen. More reason to worry.
Old 16th January 2021, 08:16 PM   #10
sackett
Philosopher

If these current yobs aren't fascists, they'll do until the real fascists get here.

If you would ruin a man's character, let him seize power.
sackett is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th January 2021, 08:21 PM   #11
Tero
Master Poster

A conspiracy only goes so far. Or belief in one. They ran out of steam. Small protest on Wed, no more than 10 dead. Hundreds arrested. A few martyrs. But we have plenty of conspiracy nut martyrs already. Nothing new.

Politics blog: https://esapolitics.blogspot.com/
Tero is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics