IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
View Poll Results: American Civil War II: Is It Coming
American Civil War II is coming soon, perhaps even soon after this election. 16 20.25%
American Civil War II is coming sometime in the next few years. 10 12.66%
American Civil War II is coming in the foreseeable future, but not for at least a decade or so.. 4 5.06%
American Civil War II is not coming anytime in the foreseeable future. 30 37.97%
American Civil War II is never going to happen. 9 11.39%
American Civil War II is coming soon to Netflix, starring Dwayne Johnson! 13 16.46%
Planet X Civil War XXXVII is coming soon! 9 11.39%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 79. You may not vote on this poll

Old 15th January 2021, 10:02 AM   #201
ChristianProgressive
Master Poster

Originally Posted by PhantomWolf View Post
Not to mention that the likes of the IRA had a lot of foreign support, supplies, and financing from Ireland and the USA.
And the militias may well have support from Uncle Vlad and/or the Chinese.
"As it was in the days of Noah, so will it be at the coming of the Son of Man." - Matthew 24:37

"And when these things begin to come to pass, then look up, and lift up your heads; for your redemption draweth nigh." - Luke 21:28
ChristianProgressive is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th January 2021, 10:03 AM   #202
ChristianProgressive
Master Poster

Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post
The IRA also had botched operations that ended with many of their members dead or in jail.

Failed coup attempts are part of the process. Sometimes successful coups follow. The reactionary right in this country will learn from this experience.

It's important for those of us opposed to a fascist united states to also learn from this experience. Throwing the invaders under the jail is only the tip of the iceberg. More action is needed.

Edit: This comment is not meant to make a moral comparison between the IRA and MAGA freaks. Strictly speaking in terms of tactics and effectiveness.
The IRA, at least, had a legitimate grievance that was not being addressed.
"As it was in the days of Noah, so will it be at the coming of the Son of Man." - Matthew 24:37

"And when these things begin to come to pass, then look up, and lift up your heads; for your redemption draweth nigh." - Luke 21:28
ChristianProgressive is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th January 2021, 10:49 PM   #203
dejudge
Philosopher

Originally Posted by crescent View Post
.....I quoted a lot - but it is really just a fraction of a long and detailed article. My guess we'll have an election, lots of courtroom drama, followed by some general legal agreement as to the winner - like Bush v Gore only longer, louder, and messier but eventually leading to a mostly legally accepted conclusion. Sadly, the antiquated EC setup and general emotional intensity leave room for me to be wrong about that. Too much room to be wrong, much to much. I'm not feeling real good about the prospects, to be frank.
I also think that the Electoral College will cause a Civil War in America.

The Bush v Gore could have gone real disastrous if one of them was the incumbent as it is now with the Trump v Biden but with only one State in play.

The Electoral College plays into Murphy's Law --Anything that can go wrong will go wrong.
dejudge is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th January 2021, 11:21 PM   #204
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Lerxst View Post
What I worry about is another Tim McVeigh. He didn't even need to falsely believe that an election was stolen to make a truck bomb and blow up a federal building.
What is even more worrying about the Timothy McVeigh example is the US authorities didn't even learn the lesson then, that domestic terrorism represents a far greater danger that they think.

While the CIA/NSA has their hands mostly untied when it comes to surveilling potential foreign terrorist threats, no such equivalency exists for the FBI with domestic terrorism. There isn't even a domestic terrorism statute in Federal Law!! They cannot surveil domestic terrorism threats as easily.

For example, if a foreign terrorist organization had an equivalent of Parler, the CIA/NSA would be allowed to observe it, spy on it and if necessary, hack into it, all without a warrant, to get a line on what the suspects/threats were doing. The FBI, however, were not allowed the same latitude with Parler. They were able to accept information provided by third parties, even if that information was obtained illegally, but they would not be allowed to spy on Parler or hack into it themselves without a warrant for which they would require probable cause. That requires a court filing, which could tip their hand.

So long as US authorities don't take the threat of domestic terrorism seriously, and do something to address those shortcomings, they WILL remain highly vulnerable to another Oklahoma bombing.
If you don't like my posts, my opinions, or my directness then put me on your ignore list. This will be of benefit to both of us; you won't have to take umbrage at my posts, and I won't have to waste my time talking to you... simples! !
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th January 2021, 04:50 PM   #205
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by ChristianProgressive View Post
And the militias may well have support from Uncle Vlad and/or the Chinese.
Seriously? You think that people who are rabidly anti-China and believe that China helped the Dems steal the election in a pretext to invading and taking over and turning the county Communist, will turn around and take funding from them?

It must be fun to lead a life completely unburdened by reality. -- JayUtah
I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question. -- Charles Babbage (1791-1871)

PhantomWolf is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th January 2021, 05:10 PM   #206
Venom
Illuminator

Seriously? You think that people who are rabidly anti-China and believe that China helped the Dems steal the election in a pretext to invading and taking over and turning the county Communist, will turn around and take funding from them?
Very loaded question.

Stranger things have happened.

Quote:
United States Attorney Erica H. MacDonald and National Security Division Assistant Attorney General John Demers today announced the guilty plea of BENJAMIN RYAN TEETER, 22, to conspiracy to provide material support and resources, namely property, services and weapons, to Hamas, a designated foreign terrorist organization. TEETER, who was charged via a superseding indictment on November 6, 2020, pleaded guilty today before Judge Michael J. Davis in U.S. District Court in Minneapolis, Minnesota. A sentencing date will be scheduled at a later time.
Venom is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th January 2021, 06:08 PM   #207
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Venom View Post
Very loaded question.

FFS! Really? White supremacists and "brown" terrorists are strange bedfellows!
If you don't like my posts, my opinions, or my directness then put me on your ignore list. This will be of benefit to both of us; you won't have to take umbrage at my posts, and I won't have to waste my time talking to you... simples! !
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th January 2021, 06:58 PM   #208
zorro99
Muse

Seeing that 55 year old retired firefighter arrested for throwing a fire extinguisher, his lawyer said he has a home, three kids and a smoker and had never been arrested before, I donít see a civil war coming. I assume he also has a pension. People donít give all that up to join a revolution.
Old 16th January 2021, 07:09 PM   #209
Bubba
Philosopher

American Civil War II: Is It Coming?

In case it has not been pointed out already, Civil War II began months ago, in the streets of a few cities.

Note

Federal aw enforcement knows Antifa is in fact organized centrally, and they know which politicians and leaders talk to Antifa leaders.
Bubba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th January 2021, 07:16 PM   #210
Bubba
Philosopher

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post

Only to a racist
Bubba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th January 2021, 07:20 PM   #211
Venom
Illuminator

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
I wouldn't even paint them all as "white supremacists". But even so-called white supremacist prison gangs make alliances and deals with gangs of other ethnicities or international criminal syndicates.
Venom is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th January 2021, 07:29 PM   #212
zorro99
Muse

Originally Posted by Bubba View Post

Federal aw enforcement knows Antifa is in fact organized centrally, and they know which politicians and leaders talk to Antifa leaders.
Awesome!
Old 16th January 2021, 07:40 PM   #213
Regnad Kcin
Penultimate Amazing

Note

Shh! Youíre not supposed to tell!
Old 17th January 2021, 02:30 AM   #214
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Note

Note to self: change password on Antifa Central website, call Number One in DC and let him know we've been made, and pick tacos up for dinner.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th January 2021, 02:48 AM   #215
dirtywick
Illuminator

Only to a racist
calling people out for assuming all white supremacists are racist is taking sjw to a whole different level.

the right wingers have become the snowflake sjw

this is all getting way too meta for me
dirtywick is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th January 2021, 02:50 AM   #216
dirtywick
Illuminator

In case it has not been pointed out already, Civil War II began months ago, in the streets of a few cities.

Note

which side is the deep state on? I canít keep any of the is straight anymore. itís almost as if theyíre just making it up as they go

but, that couldnít be, could it?
dirtywick is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th January 2021, 02:55 AM   #217
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Venom View Post
That's not really that strange. During WWII, the Nazis and Palestinians were allies because both were working to solve "the Jewish problem." Why would it be strange to see the same sort of alliance now?

On the other hand, the Alt-Right and China don't have a common cause.

It must be fun to lead a life completely unburdened by reality. -- JayUtah
I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question. -- Charles Babbage (1791-1871)

PhantomWolf is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th January 2021, 03:41 AM   #218
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Only to a racist
Of course, you would know!
Old 17th January 2021, 03:43 AM   #219
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by dirtywick View Post
calling people out for assuming all white supremacists are racist is taking sjw to a whole different level.

the right wingers have become the snowflake sjw

this is all getting way too meta for me

White supremacists are, of course, racists by definition... but Bubba knows this
Old 17th January 2021, 03:56 AM   #220
Venom
Illuminator

That's not really that strange. During WWII, the Nazis and Palestinians were allies because both were working to solve "the Jewish problem." Why would it be strange to see the same sort of alliance now?

On the other hand, the Alt-Right and China don't have a common cause.
Firstly, you're conflating several loosely affiliated right-wing groups. They don't have a common cause with China but they may not necessarily hate them either just because of Trump's protectionist rhetoric.

And I do think it is somewhat stranger to see American right-wingers/fascists working with Islamists because of the 9/11 attacks and how deeply embedded it is in the popular consciousness. I think the recent case showed that we can't expect all organizations to be equally stubborn about working with foreigners if the connection pays.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics