IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , Trump administration , Trump controversies

Old 19th January 2021, 07:45 AM   #1281
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Don View Post
President Trump only does things that are to President Trump's benefit. I can see why he might pardon close associates and big names but I don't see how he gains personally from pardoning insurrectionists - they adore him already.
The MAGAchud might adore him now, but there is no guarantee that they will keep loving him. (After all, we've seen them turn on other politicians/sympathizers, when it is determined that they are not "keeping the faith".)

So, Trump could (in theory) pardon the terrorists because he wants to keep his fans loyal, and for them to keep fighting. ("Hey, keep this up and when I'm back in office you'll all be pardoned".)

I don't think he'd do so, but its not out of the realm of possibility.

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th January 2021, 07:45 AM   #1282
Armitage72
Philosopher

Today's "Over the Hedge", which was written last month, has the characters talking about Trump issuing an executive order banning the letter "P". He had contacted his generals and demanded the forces he needed for a "coo", and they gave him exactly what he asked for. The final panel shows Trump walking into a helicopter with a pigeon sitting on his head.
Armitage72 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th January 2021, 07:47 AM   #1283
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Aridas View Post
But the important thing to realize is that, according to people like Lady Lindsey, Trump is trying to "heal the nation".

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th January 2021, 07:47 AM   #1284
Fast Eddie B
Philosopher

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
To be fair, Clinton did pardon his brother.

Although, to be equally far, what Roger Clinton did was not some mystery, nor was he pardon for anything related to the President.

Fun fact Roger Clinton's Secret Service codename was "Headache" which... I can't imagine is a good sign.
Nice catch! Your memory is better than mine.
Fast Eddie B is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th January 2021, 07:48 AM   #1285
Dave Rogers
Bandaged ice that stampedes inexpensively through a scribbled morning waving necessary ankles

Or like... and guys I'm being like 10% serious here... what if pardoned Hillary? Like what if he made a big show of a pardon that was just a passive aggressive accusation?
I'd like to see him go surreal and pardon Andy Kaufman. And then issue an executive order for the arrest of the MC5.

Dave

- President Joseph R. Biden, January 20th, 2021
Dave Rogers is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th January 2021, 07:58 AM   #1286
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

To be fair, Clinton did pardon his brother.

Although, to be equally far, what Roger Clinton did was not some mystery, nor was he pardon for anything related to the President.

Fun fact Roger Clinton's Secret Service codename was "Headache" which... I can't imagine is a good sign.
It should also be noted that the pardon of Clinton's brother took place years after he had already spent time in jail, so it was not necessarily done to avoid prison. (Just "give him a clean record".)

Compare that to Trump's potential pardon of his hell-spawn... If he issues a pardon to them they will end up avoiding all punishment.

We are Groot - Groot
Old 19th January 2021, 08:00 AM   #1287
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by The Don View Post
President Trump only does things that are to President Trump's benefit. I can see why he might pardon close associates and big names but I don't see how he gains personally from pardoning insurrectionists - they adore him already.
From accounts he thinks they made him look bad because they were “low class”, there is no way he will pardon them.
Old 19th January 2021, 08:03 AM   #1288
Fast Eddie B
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
Compare that to Trump's potential pardon of his hell-spawn... If he issues a pardon to them they will end up avoiding all punishment.
Well, not all - they’re all implicated in all sorts of state criminal and civil crimes, so hopefully there will still be some form of comeuppance.
Fast Eddie B is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th January 2021, 08:09 AM   #1289
timhau
NWO Litter Technician

Location: Looks like Finland. Smells like Finland. Quacks like Finland. Where the hell am I?
It should also be noted that the pardon of Clinton's brother took place years after he had already spent time in jail, so it was not necessarily done to avoid prison. (Just "give him a clean record".)

Yeah, and pardoning your screw-up brother for something totally unrelated to you is very different from pardoning your kids for running your dodgy business and your shady political errands.
Old 19th January 2021, 08:09 AM   #1290
SteveAitch
Thinker

Originally Posted by Fast Eddie B View Post
Nice catch! Your memory is better than mine.
According to this, Kamala Harris's is Pioneer, which is apt. Biden's is Celtic. Huh?

Mind you, Karenna Gore's - Smurfette?
Old 19th January 2021, 08:12 AM   #1291
gnome
Penultimate Amazing

removed

Last edited by gnome; 19th January 2021 at 08:17 AM. Reason: irrelevant
gnome is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th January 2021, 08:15 AM   #1292
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by timhau View Post
Yeah, and pardoning your screw-up brother for something totally unrelated to you is very different from pardoning your kids for running your dodgy business and your shady political errands.
To be clear I was only providing some context for a specific reference point, I was not attempting an equivocation.
JoeMorgue is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th January 2021, 08:18 AM   #1293
Beelzebuddy
Philosopher

Originally Posted by SteveAitch View Post
According to this, Kamala Harris's is Pioneer, which is apt. Biden's is Celtic. Huh?

Mind you, Karenna Gore's - Smurfette?
What's the point of having code names that everyone knows?
Beelzebuddy is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th January 2021, 08:25 AM   #1294
MRC_Hans
Penultimate Amazing

The MAGAchud might adore him now, but there is no guarantee that they will keep loving him. (After all, we've seen them turn on other politicians/sympathizers, when it is determined that they are not "keeping the faith".)

So, Trump could (in theory) pardon the terrorists because he wants to keep his fans loyal, and for them to keep fighting. ("Hey, keep this up and when I'm back in office you'll all be pardoned".)

I'm sure T**** (or his advisors) is not blind to the little problem that many of those terrorists have claimed as excuse that he asked them to do what they did.

So, pardoning them may not look good during the impeachment procedure (or in later court cases).

Hans
Old 19th January 2021, 08:34 AM   #1295
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

//Slight hijack//

Is censoring the word "Trump" some joke or meme? I've been seeing it pop up in random places.
JoeMorgue is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th January 2021, 08:36 AM   #1296
MRC_Hans
Penultimate Amazing

//Slight hijack//

Is censoring the word "Trump" some joke or meme? I've been seeing it pop up in random places.
I saw a critical commenter do it and thought it would be a good idea. So, meme I quess.

Hans
Old 19th January 2021, 08:37 AM   #1297
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by MRC_Hans View Post
I saw a critical commenter do it and thought it would be a good idea. So, meme I quess.

Hans
Colbert? That's the other place I remember seeing it.
Old 19th January 2021, 08:42 AM   #1298
SteveAitch
Thinker

Originally Posted by Beelzebuddy View Post
I did wonder that myself...
Old 19th January 2021, 08:49 AM   #1299
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Quote:
The MAGAchud might adore him now, but there is no guarantee that they will keep loving him.
So, Trump could (in theory) pardon the terrorists because he wants to keep his fans loyal, and for them to keep fighting.
I'm sure T**** (or his advisors) is not blind to the little problem that many of those terrorists have claimed as excuse that he asked them to do what they did.

So, pardoning them may not look good during the impeachment procedure (or in later court cases).
Yeah but Trump has had the republicans willing to defend him for the past 4 years. They were quite willing to look the other way when he tried to blackmail a foreign country into interfering with the election. I am sure that lesson isn't lost on Trump.

We are Groot - Groot
Old 19th January 2021, 08:59 AM   #1300
MRC_Hans
Penultimate Amazing

Yeah but Trump has had the republicans willing to defend him for the past 4 years. They were quite willing to look the other way when he tried to blackmail a foreign country into interfering with the election. I am sure that lesson isn't lost on Trump.
Yes. Funny thing. One should think he could recognize his own behavior in others, but I suppose that is not as easy as it seems. How many of them will support him once he is no longer of any use to them?

Hans
Old 19th January 2021, 09:15 AM   #1301
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Trump is reputedly furious over the fact that a-list celebrities are going to be at Biden's inauguration
Old 19th January 2021, 09:18 AM   #1302
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by Beelzebuddy View Post
Presumable so there can be no confusion is times of hectic communications. “Biden down” could mean Mr or Mrs Biden and so on.

Personally I think it’s something that makes the secret service folk all tingly and James Bondie.
Old 19th January 2021, 09:21 AM   #1303
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Quote:
Yes. Funny thing. One should think he could recognize his own behavior in others, but I suppose that is not as easy as it seems. How many of them will support him once he is no longer of any use to them?
Well, he's no longer of any use now, yet the majority of Republican house members voted against impeachment. The senate might be a little different (longer terms/less beholden to public opinion/a bit more professional), but that doesn't mean republican senators won't react the same as republicans in the house.

Trump himself might not have direct political influence, but they still need to keep the MAGAchud happy. Plus, voting in favor of impeachment now would mean explaining why they supported Trump in the past when his criminality has been long established..

We know Lady Lindsey, Hawley and Cruz will likely vote pro-Trump. You also have a bunch of senators in deep-red states who tried to pull the "we need an election audit" scam (Hagerty/Lummis/Marshall/Tuberville/Blackburn/Braun/Kennedy/Daines). They are likely to vote against impeachment too, regardless of what Trump does. Then there is also Johnson (who has backed voter fraud claims in the past) and Tom Cotton (who has been a strong Trump ally, even if he didn't support overturning the election). So there are at least a dozen Republican senators who are likely going to vote against convicting Trump. And that's at a minimum.

We are Groot - Groot
Old 19th January 2021, 09:25 AM   #1304
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Squeegee Beckenheim View Post
What's he complaining about? Trump had the Rockettes perform.

We are Groot - Groot
Old 19th January 2021, 09:26 AM   #1305
eerok
Quixoticist

Colbert? That's the other place I remember seeing it.
Yeah, I saw it first on Colbert.
Old 19th January 2021, 09:47 AM   #1306
Mader Levap
Graduate Poster

//Slight hijack//

I think joke is that they treat "Trump" as offensive word that should be censored like, say, n-word.
Old 19th January 2021, 09:52 AM   #1307
Crossbow
Seeking Honesty and Sanity

Whew!

It hard to believe, but there is only 24 hour more of the Trump presidency.

On 15 FEB 2019 'BobTheCoward' said: "I constantly assert I am a fool."

A man's best friend is his dogma.
Crossbow is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th January 2021, 09:55 AM   #1308
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by Crossbow View Post
Whew!

If I wasn't at work I'd be blaring the Ramones full blast.
Old 19th January 2021, 10:02 AM   #1309
Fast Eddie B
Philosopher

Whew!

Yeah, but who’s counting?

That looks like it’s counting down to the 20th, not noon on Inauguration Day.

Last edited by Fast Eddie B; 19th January 2021 at 10:04 AM.
Old 19th January 2021, 10:08 AM   #1310
Fast Eddie B
Philosopher

Link to the Inauguration countdown timer:

https://www.timeanddate.com/countdow...eaves%20office
Old 19th January 2021, 10:24 AM   #1311
Mumbles
Philosopher

Originally Posted by DevilsAdvocate View Post
I assume this is the "Stephen Miller's Diatribe on Racist White Supremacy" that he has wanted to publish for the past many years and could never find a publisher and went the route of the vanity publisher of the Federal Government. No?
Well, it does spend time discussing the Nazi's military strength, is highly plagiarized, cites no sources at all, and makes a number of ridiculous claims (my favorite is that MLK Jr. hated Affirmative Action programs, despite his explicit written endorsement of programs meant to favor black Americans in particular, due of course to the centuries of the US doing the exact opposite for literally centuries).

On the other hand, it lacks Miller's more usual Triumph of the Will tones, 14 words references and white nationalist steam whistle politics.
Mumbles is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th January 2021, 10:25 AM   #1312
timhau
NWO Litter Technician

Location: Looks like Finland. Smells like Finland. Quacks like Finland. Where the hell am I?
To be clear I was only providing some context for a specific reference point, I was not attempting an equivocation.
Yup, and I never meant to potray facts differently. I was just making the point that even if Bill Clinton's pardon of Roger Clinton had made an immediate tangible difference in RC's life (such as getting out of prison or avoiding an imminent jail sentence), it still would have been very, very different from pardoning your kids for being your go-betweens in your own shady deals
Old 19th January 2021, 10:31 AM   #1313
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Or like... and guys I'm being like 10% serious here... what if pardoned Hillary? Like what if he made a big show of a pardon that was just a passive aggressive accusation?
That occurred to me as well!
Old 19th January 2021, 10:36 AM   #1314
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler

It's be hilarious if he did, because:

Quote:
A person may decide not to accept a pardon, in which case it does not take effect;[2] according to a Supreme Court majority opinion a pardon "carries an imputation of guilt; acceptance a confession of it".

It would have to blow at least a few "Lock her up!" chanter's minds when she publicly refuses his pardon on the basis that she's done nothing wrong.
Old 19th January 2021, 10:58 AM   #1315
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Whew!

I don't think I've ever followed a countdown more closely, except for the time I went to see a solar eclipse.
Old 19th January 2021, 11:59 AM   #1316
Armitage72
Philosopher

It's on CNN's live feed, so it may not be visible for long, but it's being reported that Mike Pence will be skipping Trump's farewell ceremony to attend Presdient Biden's inauguration.

Quote:
Vice President Mike Pence is not expected to attend President Trump's departure ceremony at Joint Base Andrews, according to two Pence sources.

Logistically, the sources said it would be difficult for Pence to be at Joint Base Andrews for Trump's sendoff and attend President-elect Joe Biden's inaugural, as the outgoing vice president is expected to do.

One last effort to make the little baby feel good about himself by pumping up the crowd size.

Quote:
Invitations have gone out to Trump's friends, allies and former administration officials saying it will begin at 8 a.m. ET. Each invitee is allowed five guests; organizers hope to secure a large crowd because Trump has complained about the size of his gatherings in the past.

In a sign the guest list may not have been carefully curated, Trump's former communications director turned critic, Anthony Scaramucci, was invited to the departure. He told CNN he did not plan to attend, but saw his invitation as a sign the White House was eager to bulk up the guest list.
Armitage72 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th January 2021, 12:19 PM   #1317
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Quote:
In a sign the guest list may not have been carefully curated, Trump's former communications director turned critic, Anthony Scaramucci, was invited to the departure. He told CNN he did not plan to attend, but saw his invitation as a sign the White House was eager to bulk up the guest list.
In their talk last night, Don Lemon said he'd be willing to go along as one of the guests. I think that would be great! He might finally get an interview with The PDJT.
Old 19th January 2021, 12:30 PM   #1318
MRC_Hans
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Squeegee Beckenheim View Post
Oh, I feel SO sorry for him ...

For being like that.

Hans
Old 19th January 2021, 12:35 PM   #1319
MRC_Hans
Penultimate Amazing

Well, he's no longer of any use now, yet the majority of Republican house members voted against impeachment. The senate might be a little different (longer terms/less beholden to public opinion/a bit more professional), but that doesn't mean republican senators won't react the same as republicans in the house.

Trump himself might not have direct political influence, but they still need to keep the MAGAchud happy. Plus, voting in favor of impeachment now would mean explaining why they supported Trump in the past when his criminality has been long established..

We know Lady Lindsey, Hawley and Cruz will likely vote pro-Trump. You also have a bunch of senators in deep-red states who tried to pull the "we need an election audit" scam (Hagerty/Lummis/Marshall/Tuberville/Blackburn/Braun/Kennedy/Daines). They are likely to vote against impeachment too, regardless of what Trump does. Then there is also Johnson (who has backed voter fraud claims in the past) and Tom Cotton (who has been a strong Trump ally, even if he didn't support overturning the election). So there are at least a dozen Republican senators who are likely going to vote against convicting Trump. And that's at a minimum.
Well, but what is it that they admire? His looks? His intellect? His masculine charm? His integrity? His competencies? ... His ability to attract votes? .... Yes!

Once that vanes, and it already does, I bet most of them will suddenly remember why they have always despised him.

Hans
Old 19th January 2021, 12:36 PM   #1320
MRC_Hans
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
That occurred to me as well!
Much too subtle for T****.

Hans

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics