IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » History, Literature, and the Arts

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags language

Old 20th January 2021, 05:58 AM   #41
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by Wudang View Post
One I got people using a couple of times “iatrogenic “ - caused by a doctor. It has surprisingly many applications in IT.
It crops up a lot in healthcare IT, too, but the clinical staff hate seeing it used. To which we reply hey, saw off the correct leg next time, then.
Old 20th January 2021, 06:26 AM   #42
Wudang
BOFH

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
It crops up a lot in healthcare IT, too, but the clinical staff hate seeing it used. To which we reply hey, saw off the correct leg next time, then.

Yeah stumbled on a few cases but my work was usually after the SNOMED geeks had done their thing.
Old 20th January 2021, 10:50 AM   #43
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

obstreperous

learned about it today, doubt I will every actually use it.
The Great Zaganza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th January 2021, 11:16 AM   #44
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by bruto View Post

Swarf, a versatile word that can mean either a swoon (or the act of swooning), or the residue from metal machining.
I once designed a swarf collector, complete with 5-bin rotary bucket holder for separating different alloys!
Old 20th January 2021, 11:42 AM   #45
Spektator
Watching . . . always watching.

Ostrobogulous. Slightly and bizarrely risque.
Spektator is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th January 2021, 02:05 PM   #46
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Originally Posted by Gord_in_Toronto View Post
Juicing - what you do to pigs piglets.
Sorry to be such a pedant in what is otherwise a joyous thread, but we need to have some consistency of language or what was the point of having an empire in the first place.

If I had a pet panda I would name it Snowflake.
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th January 2021, 02:17 PM   #47
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena
Pronouns: he/him

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
obstreperous

My mum always told me that I was being obstreperous. It was quite a normal word in our household.
Old 20th January 2021, 02:17 PM   #48
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Otolith. An ear stone.
Old 21st January 2021, 06:25 AM   #49
Monza
Alta Viro

Years ago, my work colleague tried to get our foreign boss to use odd slang words. He would use them in his own conversation to see if the boss would eventually pick up on it and use the words himself. These were words like "lollygagging".
Monza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st January 2021, 06:29 AM   #50
Monza
Alta Viro

For you word/language aficionados, here is one I've never been quite sure about. How would you make the plural possessive of the word princess?

Singular = princess
Plural = princesses
Plural possessive = princesses'

The above seems correct to me, but I'm not sure about the pronunciation of the latter one.
Monza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st January 2021, 07:14 AM   #51
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by Monza View Post
For you word/language aficionados, here is one I've never been quite sure about. How would you make the plural possessive of the word princess?

Singular = princess
Plural = princesses

The above seems correct to me, but I'm not sure about the pronunciation of the latter one.
I was taught that plural possessives that end in S are pronounced exactly like the plural--there's not an additional S sound, just a silent apostrophe. This isn't a new question for those of us whose surname ends in S.

"Look, it's the princess! What's she holding? Why, it's the princess's knife! Do princesses have special knives? Yes, the princesses' knives have extra grooves called 'blood gutters' that they may stab more effectively." In that example last three iterations are all pronounced the same. Also, stay the hell away from the royalty of that kingdom!
Old 21st January 2021, 08:15 AM   #52
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

Singular = princess
Plural = princesses

I've always presumed the latter one is pronounced the same as the second, the added possessive meaning conveyed by context.

So, for example, one might say "The princesses' fortune was divided among the princesses," and the meaning is pretty clear. If one finds it is not, and there's some ambiguity as to which sense is meant, you'd best change the sentence. So, for example, you might not know which is meant if you say "The king's fortune was the princesses(')", but it would be clear if you said "The princesses were the king's fortune," or "The king's fortune was that of the princesses."

Quand il dit "cuic" le moineau croit tout dire. (When he's tweeted the sparrow thinks he's said it all. (Jules Renard)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st January 2021, 08:31 AM   #53
Wudang
BOFH

When 2 princesses meet it usually means a battle to the death as only one can start the new hive. So largely a theoretical issue. I've pulled this from an entirely different domain of knowledge but that seems to be fashionable these days.
Old 21st January 2021, 08:53 AM   #54
Monza
Alta Viro

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
I was taught that plural possessives that end in S are pronounced exactly like the plural--there's not an additional S sound, just a silent apostrophe. This isn't a new question for those of us whose surname ends in S.
Yes, come to think of it, this is what I've been taught too. I remember it bothered me on my first trip to London when I saw St. James's Park.
Old 21st January 2021, 09:59 AM   #55
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Yes, come to think of it, this is what I've been taught too. I remember it bothered me on my first trip to London when I saw St. James's Park.
I was only speaking of pronunciation. St James's is the correct possessive for a single St James. If the park were dedicated to all the saints of that name it would be trickier: St James' would be technically correct but confusing. St Jameses' would make a degree of sense but be unwieldy.

It's easier with surnames. Marlon Wayans's family, the Wayans, live in the Wayans' stately home.
Old 21st January 2021, 02:54 PM   #56
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Here's a word I just had occasion to use in another thread: Verisimilitude - apparent realism. It doesn't have to actually be realistic in order to have verisimilitude. A lot of science fiction relies on it while still having faster-than-light travel, blaster weapons, futuristic energy generation and laser swords. None of those things are realistic - many would be actually impossible in the real universe, but we like them because in context, they have verisimilitude.
Old 21st January 2021, 07:05 PM   #57
Gord_in_Toronto
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Dr. Keith View Post
Sorry to be such a pedant in what is otherwise a joyous thread, but we need to have some consistency of language or what was the point of having an empire in the first place.
Oh **** off!
Old 22nd January 2021, 03:53 AM   #58
Wudang
BOFH

Susie Dent again
“ Word of the day is 'arsle': a 19th-century verb meaning to make no progress whatsoever on a job in hand - literally, to 'shuffle backwards'.”
Old 22nd January 2021, 10:42 AM   #59
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Originally Posted by Gord_in_Toronto View Post
Oh **** off!
The pleasure is all yours.

If I had a pet panda I would name it Snowflake.
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd January 2021, 12:08 PM   #60
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
Otolith. An ear stone.
Paroxysmal. As in Benign Paroxysmal Positional Vertigo, which is caused by otoliths.
Old 24th January 2021, 02:56 PM   #61
catsmate
No longer the 1

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
obstreperous

Get a cat.....
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th January 2021, 06:32 PM   #62
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
Paroxysmal. As in Benign Paroxysmal Positional Vertigo, which is caused by otoliths.
Which is what my dad has, which is why I know about otoliths.
Old 24th January 2021, 06:39 PM   #63
Gord_in_Toronto
Penultimate Amazing

pseudepigraphically from Wikipedia "Pseudepigrapha (also anglicized as "pseudepigraph" or "pseudepigraphs") are falsely attributed works, texts whose claimed author is not the true author, or a work whose real author attributed it to a figure of the past."

Found while researching St Ignatius in respect to another thread.
Old 24th January 2021, 06:47 PM   #64
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Here's a fun one I learned the other day. When you say "gosh" instead of "God", or "frick", or "heck" or "jeepers" to avoid a profanity, it is known as a minced oath.
Old 24th January 2021, 08:19 PM   #65
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Which is what my dad has, which is why I know about otoliths.
Yup. My mother caused me to learn about them.
Old 24th January 2021, 09:35 PM   #66
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Philtrum.
The vertical groove between the base of the nose and the border of the upper lip.

I remember reading it in a Superman book (novel, not comic book -- no pictures!) It was describing an alien race whose defining feature was the lack of one.
Old 25th January 2021, 06:48 AM   #67
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
Philtrum.
The vertical groove between the base of the nose and the border of the upper lip.

I remember reading it in a Superman book (novel, not comic book -- no pictures!) It was describing an alien race whose defining feature was the lack of one.
Smooth philtrums are also a symptom of fetal alcohol syndrome. Not everyone who lacks a philtrum has FAS (or is an alien)...but once you know about it it's hard not to wonder when you notice people without one.
Old 12th February 2021, 11:34 PM   #68
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Just heard the term

monocausotaxophilia

and I use it when appropriate, making sure that it will become appropriate in conversations.
The Great Zaganza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th February 2021, 01:00 PM   #69
Caroline13
Muse

Mendacious - lying, untruthful and on and on.

It's amazing how many don't know this word, but they know lying as everyone does it.
Caroline13 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th February 2021, 05:52 AM   #70
Wudang
BOFH

https://twitter.com/susie_dent/statu...218072064?s=12

Quote:
Word of the day is 'huff snuff' (16th century): one who shares their opinion far and wide but is quick to take offence if anyone disagrees.
Old 25th February 2021, 09:23 AM   #71
HHellpop
Reluctant Galactic Assassin

Poltroon: an utter coward.

Seen in recent James Gill column (nola.com) in reference to Senator John Kennedy and his ass-kissing cohorts

ETA: Gill usually has at least one word per column that I have to look up.

Last edited by HHellpop; 25th February 2021 at 09:25 AM.
HHellpop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th February 2021, 09:32 AM   #72
Wudang
BOFH

Trahison des clercs - "treason of the intellectuals : the compromising of integrity by intellectuals who engage in political advocacy." Yeah, seeing a lot of that this century.

I was reminded of it by Hhellpop's eta above. I found this and other interesting expressions in Francis Wheen's "How Mumbo-Jumbo Conquered The World"
Old 25th February 2021, 09:45 AM   #73
Spektator
Watching . . . always watching.

Farthingale. Flatulist (one who can, by expelling air from his/her anus, play tunes - see Le Petomane)
Spektator is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th February 2021, 11:27 AM   #74
HHellpop
Reluctant Galactic Assassin

Originally Posted by Spektator View Post
Farthingale. Flatulist (one who can, by expelling air from his/her anus, play tunes - see Le Petomane)
A vocation that many guys in college aspire to! Though not as numerous as flatuflagrationists.
Old 28th February 2021, 01:55 PM   #75
Carlotta
Critical Thinker

Here's a fun one I learned the other day. When you say "gosh" instead of "God", or "frick", or "heck" or "jeepers" to avoid a profanity, it is known as a minced oath.
This link led me to the word eggcorn, examples of which can be seen in the misused idioms thread.
Carlotta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd March 2021, 03:39 PM   #76
Gord_in_Toronto
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Wudang View Post
https://twitter.com/susie_dent/statu...218072064?s=12

Quote:
Word of the day is 'huff snuff' (16th century): one who shares their opinion far and wide but is quick to take offence if anyone disagrees.

Taylor Swift?
Old 3rd March 2021, 03:54 PM   #77
GlennB
Loggerheaded, earth-vexing fustilarian

Incommodious.
Old 4th March 2021, 12:33 PM   #78
3point14
Pi

My mum always told me that I was being obstreperous. It was quite a normal word in our household.
Same here. I was often admonised for being obstreperous.

I like 'Sonder' as it describes a sensation that sometimes hits me when I'm out in public and I think it needs a word.

Etymology: Sonder is a neologism, coined by John Koenig for his online Dictionary of Obscure Sorrows. As such it has no evolution to trace.

The realization that each random passerby is living a life as vivid and complex as your own.

Anyone that wraps themselves in the Union Flag and also lives in tax exile is a [redacted]
3point14 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » History, Literature, and the Arts