IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , Trump administration , Trump controversies

Old 22nd January 2021, 09:09 AM   #1561
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler

Originally Posted by Regnad Kcin View Post
Maybe holed up, working hard on the plans for his precedential liberry?

Well, those fabric swatches aren't going to choose themselves!
Old 22nd January 2021, 09:42 AM   #1562
Spektator
Watching . . . always watching.

Originally Posted by Safe-Keeper View Post
Wait, wut. Is that the CSA and US flags, on the same flag pole ?
No, it's the Army of Tennessee and US flags on the same pole. The CSA flag originally had on the field three broad horizonal stripes, red, white, red, and in the upper left corner a square dark blue canton with a circle of white stars inside (7, 9, 11, or 13 stars at different times). From a distance it could be easily confused with the US flag, so in 1863 it was changed to a plain white field, no stripes, with a square red canton inside of which was a dark-blue St. Andrew's cross with 13 white stars inside it. Toward the end of the war, a vertical red stripe was added at the edge of the flag opposite the canton.

The Army of Tennessee battle flag was increasingly used in the 20th century and beyond as the emblem of the anti-integration faction. It never was the official flag of the whole Confederacy.

This has been "Fun with Flags," Spektator substituting for Dr. Sheldon Cooper

Last edited by Spektator; 22nd January 2021 at 09:43 AM.
Spektator is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd January 2021, 09:43 AM   #1563
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

"But that wasn't really teh Confederate Flag!" is up there with "The Millennium didn't technically start until 2001" and "The Swastika started off as a Tibetan good luck symbol" on the "Way to miss the point" graph.
JoeMorgue is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd January 2021, 09:54 AM   #1564
Spektator
Watching . . . always watching.

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
"But that wasn't really teh Confederate Flag!" is up there with "The Millennium didn't technically start until 2001" and "The Swastika started off as a Tibetan good luck symbol" on the "Way to miss the point" graph.
Thank you so much. The point is that the flag the racists choose is not the one they claim it is.
Spektator is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd January 2021, 10:11 AM   #1565
Dave Rogers
Bandaged ice that stampedes inexpensively through a scribbled morning waving necessary ankles

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
Not if the point is that they're not just racists, but also ignorant and stupid.

Dave

- President Joseph R. Biden, January 20th, 2021
Dave Rogers is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd January 2021, 12:35 PM   #1566
timhau
NWO Litter Technician

Location: Looks like Finland. Smells like Finland. Quacks like Finland. Where the hell am I?
Originally Posted by Spektator View Post
Thank you so much. The point is that the flag the racists choose is not the one they claim it is.
Hardly a surprise. I can't be bothered to link pictures when on my phone, but in the Capitol attack, there was a guy flying a Trump flag above the flag of Georgia. No, not the state of Georgia, but the country in the Caucasus.
Old 22nd January 2021, 01:01 PM   #1567
Mader Levap
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by timhau View Post
Hardly a surprise. I can't be bothered to link pictures when on my phone, but in the Capitol attack, there was a guy flying a Trump flag above the flag of Georgia. No, not the state of Georgia, but the country in the Caucasus.
This is how mindless googling ends up. :P
Old 22nd January 2021, 01:20 PM   #1568
gnome
Penultimate Amazing

Well, they often are very proud of being Caucasian, so that may confuse them.

gnome is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd January 2021, 03:09 PM   #1569
trustbutverify
Philosopher

Went out with his tail firmly tucked between his legs... with the lowest popularity of almost any exiting president, and his mail order bride the lowest popularity of any ex-first lady.
trustbutverify is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd January 2021, 03:15 PM   #1570
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

So how can you tell when the long, 4 year nightmare that was the Trump administration was over.

Was it when Trump lost the election in November? When the electoral votes were cast for Biden? When Biden was sworn in on Jan20?

Nope... this is the real proof that Trump is gone...

President Joe Biden has reportedly nixed Trump's Diet Coke button. The button, according to a 2018 report from the Associated Press, sat on former President Donald Trump's desk in the Oval Office. Whenever he pushed it, "a White House butler walked in with a single glass of Diet Coke"...the wooden box that was reportedly the Diet Coke button no longer sits on the Resolute Desk...

I guess now we can really consider Trump gone.

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd January 2021, 03:35 PM   #1571
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

One of the last things Trump did on his way out the door to screw the taxpayers...

Quote:
Former President Trump's four adult children and their two spouses are receiving Secret Service protection for an additional six months following Trump's departure from office...former Chief of Staff Mark Meadows, former National Security Adviser Robert O'Brien, and former Treasury Secretary Steve Mnuchin are also receiving Secret Service protection beyond Trump's term.
Note: Normally, extended protection is usually only offered to younger children of an ex-president. There have been exceptions in the past (I think one of Clinton's children got extended protection when in school for example), but its rare to have so many adult children get extended protection.

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd January 2021, 03:56 PM   #1572
Reformed Offlian
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
So how can you tell when the long, 4 year nightmare that was the Trump administration was over.

Was it when Trump lost the election in November? When the electoral votes were cast for Biden? When Biden was sworn in on Jan20?

President Joe Biden has reportedly nixed Trump's Diet Coke button. The button, according to a 2018 report from the Associated Press, sat on former President Donald Trump's desk in the Oval Office. Whenever he pushed it, "a White House butler walked in with a single glass of Diet Coke"...the wooden box that was reportedly the Diet Coke button no longer sits on the Resolute Desk...

Did Biden press the button one last time and tell the butler "You're fired?"
Reformed Offlian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd January 2021, 04:13 PM   #1573
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Reformed Offlian View Post
Did Biden press the button one last time and tell the butler "You're fired?"
Well, there was The Fall of the White House Usher.
Old 22nd January 2021, 04:15 PM   #1574
EHocking
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Reformed Offlian View Post
Did Biden press the button one last time and tell the butler "You're fired free?"
FTFY
You can't make up anything anymore. The world itself is a satire. All you're doing is recording it. Art Buchwald
EHocking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd January 2021, 04:30 PM   #1575
Safe-Keeper
Penultimate Amazing

He probably preferred the Georgia that was closest to Russia.
"He's like a drunk being given a sobriety test by the police after being pulled over. Just as a drunk can't walk a straight line, Trump can't think in a straight line. He's all over the place."--Stacyhs
"If you are still hung up on that whole words-have-meaning thing, then 2020 is going to be a long year for you." --Ladewig
Safe-Keeper is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd January 2021, 04:35 PM   #1576
Athyrio
Hipster Doofus

One of the last things Trump did on his way out the door to screw the taxpayers...

Note: Normally, extended protection is usually only offered to younger children of an ex-president. There have been exceptions in the past (I think one of Clinton's children got extended protection when in school for example), but its rare to have so many adult children get extended protection.

Ha-ha, that's funny!
Old 22nd January 2021, 05:07 PM   #1577
Cavemonster
Philosopher

It's also rare to have the president's children so complicit in their corruption that they're such likely targets.

I don't begrudge them the protection. Although I hope we're no longer paying for a separate apartment for their security detail to pee in.

If there's justice in the world, they'll be locked up within the six months and we won't have to worry about their security anymore.
The weakness of all Utopias is this, ... They first assume that no man will want more than his share, and then are very ingenious in explaining whether his share will be delivered by motorcar or balloon.
-G.K. CHESTERTON
Cavemonster is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd January 2021, 05:13 PM   #1578
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
That link does not work for me and redirects me to some site demanding that I install some software. Oddly enough, when I entered the search, it came up with what looks just like the same URL, which seemed to work.

Try https://www.cnn.com/2021/01/20/polit...her/index.html

Quand il dit "cuic" le moineau croit tout dire. (When he's tweeted the sparrow thinks he's said it all. (Jules Renard)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd January 2021, 05:21 PM   #1579
Random
Illuminator

Can we be honest for a bit? Regardless of our feelings for the previous administration, I think that we all, in our heart of hearts, think the Diet Coke button is kinda awesome...
Old 22nd January 2021, 05:24 PM   #1580
CapelDodger
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Cavemonster View Post
It's also rare to have the president's children so complicit in their corruption that they're such likely targets.
It's Kushner who has most cause for concern, I think. One potential story : years ago The Jews recognised the danger that Trump presented to the Elders of Zion, and inserted Jared Kushner as a mole to sabotage him at the crucial moment (and get some racial mixing in at the same time, forever polluting Trump's Aryan line). That sort of thing writes itself on the internet. Perhaps it's time to move to one of those West Bank settlements he's so keen on. For his own security.

God can make a cow out of a tree, but has He ever done so? Therefore show some reason why a thing is so, or cease to hold that it is so - William of Conches, c1150
CapelDodger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd January 2021, 05:26 PM   #1581
CapelDodger
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Random View Post
Can we be honest for a bit? Regardless of our feelings for the previous administration, I think that we all, in our heart of hearts, think the Diet Coke button is kinda awesome...
I really don't.

God can make a cow out of a tree, but has He ever done so? Therefore show some reason why a thing is so, or cease to hold that it is so - William of Conches, c1150
CapelDodger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd January 2021, 06:09 PM   #1582
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Random View Post
Only if he would have hooked up the button so that instead of someone bringing him a coke, it would launch a can of pop at him from a catapult hidden somewhere in the oval office. THAT would have been awesome.

We are Groot - Groot
Old 22nd January 2021, 06:39 PM   #1583
Cavemonster
Philosopher

Originally Posted by CapelDodger View Post
It's Kushner who has most cause for concern, I think. One potential story : years ago The Jews recognised the danger that Trump presented to the Elders of Zion, and inserted Jared Kushner as a mole to sabotage him at the crucial moment (and get some racial mixing in at the same time, forever polluting Trump's Aryan line). That sort of thing writes itself on the internet. Perhaps it's time to move to one of those West Bank settlements he's so keen on. For his own security.
Among all of the messed up things that Trump did, actively courting neo-nazis when he has Jewish family members (and grandchildren). And he knows how quickly they can turn on perceived betrayal. That's just one of the layers and layers of reprehensible.
The weakness of all Utopias is this, ... They first assume that no man will want more than his share, and then are very ingenious in explaining whether his share will be delivered by motorcar or balloon.
-G.K. CHESTERTON
Cavemonster is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd January 2021, 06:49 PM   #1584
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by bruto View Post
That link does not work for me and redirects me to some site demanding that I install some software. Oddly enough, when I entered the search, it came up with what looks just like the same URL, which seemed to work.

You're right, that happens when I click the link in my post! I thought it was a direct link to CNN (which is usually safe, no paywall or de-ad-blockers needed). Maybe it's because I did a Google search first and clicked through?

Apologies, and noted for future reference. But I'm mostly pissed because it ruined my joke.
Old 22nd January 2021, 07:03 PM   #1585
CapelDodger
Penultimate Amazing

Only if he would have hooked up the button so that instead of someone bringing him a coke, it would launch a can of pop at him from a catapult hidden somewhere in the oval office. THAT would have been awesome.
Awesome to juveniles, but come on. That's Trump all over, though : he smothers his steaks in sweet ketchup.

Old 22nd January 2021, 07:14 PM   #1586
CapelDodger
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Cavemonster View Post
Among all of the messed up things that Trump did, actively courting neo-nazis when he has Jewish family members (and grandchildren). And he knows how quickly they can turn on perceived betrayal.
I really don't think he knows that, or who he's dealing with. He's an ignorant moron. He's swung back to Bannon, I notice, whose a lifetime National Socialist and an early loser (it's said) to Kushner. Another reason for moving to Israel : he can do no more in Washington, but can call in favours from the Sauds and Netenyahu clan, and their words are their bond. Both families are famous for it.

Old 22nd January 2021, 07:15 PM   #1587
cosmicaug
Graduate Poster

Bad link combined by your ISP hijacking some of the non 2xx HTTP response status codes?
Old 22nd January 2021, 08:16 PM   #1588
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
You're right, that happens when I click the link in my post! I thought it was a direct link to CNN (which is usually safe, no paywall or de-ad-blockers needed). Maybe it's because I did a Google search first and clicked through?

Apologies, and noted for future reference. But I'm mostly pissed because it ruined my joke.
Indeed, it was a good try, and I'm mystified at how the malicious content can hide in a link that looks identical to the right one.

Quand il dit "cuic" le moineau croit tout dire. (When he's tweeted the sparrow thinks he's said it all. (Jules Renard)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd January 2021, 11:30 PM   #1589
Blue Mountain
Resident Skeptical Hobbit

Indeed, it was a good try, and I'm mystified at how the malicious content can hide in a link that looks identical to the right one.
The first posted link is missing the colon after the leading "h t t p s", which causes the forum software to format it as:
The browser tries to do the "right thing" by going to www.https.com, which is owned by a "bad actor" that redirects off to God knows where.

Not-so-smart HTTP clients such as curl, wget, elinks and falkon all complain about being unable to find a host named simply "https".
The social illusion reigns to-day upon all the heaped-up ruins of the past, and to it belongs the future. The masses have never thirsted after truth. They turn aside from evidence that is not to their taste, preferring to deify error, if error seduce them. Gustav Le Bon, The Crowd, 1895 (from the French)
Canadian or living in Canada? PM me if you want an entry on the list of Canadians on the forum.
Blue Mountain is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd January 2021, 12:42 AM   #1590
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Blue Mountain View Post
The first posted link is missing the colon after the leading "h t t p s", which causes the forum software to format it as:
The browser tries to do the "right thing" by going to www.https.com, which is owned by a "bad actor" that redirects off to God knows where.

Not-so-smart HTTP clients such as curl, wget, elinks and falkon all complain about being unable to find a host named simply "https".
That's what I get for trying to "properly format" my links, as strongly requested by someone here.
Old 23rd January 2021, 12:57 AM   #1591
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Trump tried to fire AG Rosen and replace him with another lackey....

...and then plot to have his new AG force Georgia to overturn their certification of Biden

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/01/22/u...-election.html

The highlights...
"The Justice Departmentís top leaders listened in stunned silence this month: One of their peers, they were told, had devised a plan with President Donald J. Trump to oust Jeffrey A. Rosen as acting attorney general and wield the departmentís power to force Georgia state lawmakers to overturn its presidential election results."

"The department officials, convened on a conference call, then asked each other: What will you do if Mr. Rosen is dismissed?

The answer was unanimous. They would resign.

Their informal pact ultimately helped persuade Mr. Trump to keep Mr. Rosen in place, calculating that a furor over mass resignations at the top of the Justice Department would eclipse any attention on his baseless accusations of voter fraud."

"When Mr. Trump said on Dec. 14 that Attorney General William P. Barr was leaving the department, some officials thought that he might allow Mr. Rosen a short reprieve before pressing him about voter fraud. After all, Mr. Barr would be around for another week.

Instead, Mr. Trump summoned Mr. Rosen to the Oval Office the next day. He wanted the Justice Department to file legal briefs supporting his alliesí lawsuits seeking to overturn his election loss. And he urged Mr. Rosen to appoint special counsels to investigate not only unfounded accusations of widespread voter fraud, but also Dominion, the voting machines firm."
Mr. Rosen refused. He maintained that he would make decisions based on the facts and the law, and he reiterated what Mr. Barr had privately told Mr. Trump: The department had investigated voting irregularities and found no evidence of widespread fraud.

Wow, just wow!
If you don't like my posts, my opinions, or my directness then put me on your ignore list. This will be of benefit to both of us; you won't have to take umbrage at my posts, and I won't have to waste my time talking to you... simples! !
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd January 2021, 01:02 AM   #1592
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
...and then plot to have his new AG force Georgia to overturn their certification of Biden

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/01/22/u...-election.html

The highlights...
"The Justice Departmentís top leaders listened in stunned silence this month: One of their peers, they were told, had devised a plan with President Donald J. Trump to oust Jeffrey A. Rosen as acting attorney general and wield the departmentís power to force Georgia state lawmakers to overturn its presidential election results."

"The department officials, convened on a conference call, then asked each other: What will you do if Mr. Rosen is dismissed?

The answer was unanimous. They would resign.

Their informal pact ultimately helped persuade Mr. Trump to keep Mr. Rosen in place, calculating that a furor over mass resignations at the top of the Justice Department would eclipse any attention on his baseless accusations of voter fraud."

"When Mr. Trump said on Dec. 14 that Attorney General William P. Barr was leaving the department, some officials thought that he might allow Mr. Rosen a short reprieve before pressing him about voter fraud. After all, Mr. Barr would be around for another week.

Instead, Mr. Trump summoned Mr. Rosen to the Oval Office the next day. He wanted the Justice Department to file legal briefs supporting his alliesí lawsuits seeking to overturn his election loss. And he urged Mr. Rosen to appoint special counsels to investigate not only unfounded accusations of widespread voter fraud, but also Dominion, the voting machines firm."
Mr. Rosen refused. He maintained that he would make decisions based on the facts and the law, and he reiterated what Mr. Barr had privately told Mr. Trump: The department had investigated voting irregularities and found no evidence of widespread fraud.

Wow, just wow!
I don't know what is more ridiculous. That they were planning on doing this or thinking it would work.
Old 23rd January 2021, 01:21 AM   #1593
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Trump thinks only the weak follow the law.
The Great Zaganza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd January 2021, 02:50 AM   #1594
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Delphic Oracle View Post
I have a theory that in Trump's mind, the rioters failed him. That is what allowed him to save face enough to go rather quietly at the very end.
Go quietly? Are you serious? As foolish as it was he tried to get his lackeys involved in a military takeover of the bloody country.

He left with his tail between his legs

That's different in my book from rationalizing it was the rioters that failed. There is no doubt his mental illness doesn't let him believe he was at fault. He believes, at least superficially, that the election really was stolen from him. He let the people around him tell him that because it is what he wanted to believe.

That's pathological denial, not face saving.

Originally Posted by trustbutverify View Post
Went out with his tail firmly tucked between his legs... with the lowest popularity of almost any exiting president, and his mail order bride the lowest popularity of any ex-first lady.
Yes, this is what I saw as well.

Last edited by Skeptic Ginger; 23rd January 2021 at 02:53 AM.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd January 2021, 06:24 AM   #1595
gypsyjackson
Graduate Poster

Here you go: https://twitter.com/eoinburgin/statu...082378245?s=20

Itís also visible in some of the long shots of the crowd.
gypsyjackson is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd January 2021, 07:52 AM   #1596
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Blue Mountain View Post

Thanks for the clarification. Those things are hard sometimes to see.

Old 23rd January 2021, 11:39 AM   #1597
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by gypsyjackson View Post
Here you go: https://twitter.com/eoinburgin/statu...082378245?s=20

It’s also visible in some of the long shots of the crowd.

Bwhahahah! That's hilarious - he probably Googled "Georgia Flag" and chose the (wrong) first result.

Almost as funny, is this statement from a related tweet by a far right nutcase

"We need to return ownership of these huge corporations to everyday folks, the people who do the work. Its the only way to stop their socialist agenda"

The ignorance and stupidity of these people knows no bounds!
If you don't like my posts, my opinions, or my directness then put me on your ignore list. This will be of benefit to both of us; you won't have to take umbrage at my posts, and I won't have to waste my time talking to you... simples! !
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd January 2021, 12:00 PM   #1598
MRC_Hans
Penultimate Amazing

Bwhahahah! That's hilarious - he probably Googled "Georgia Flag" and chose the (wrong) first result.

"We need to return ownership of these huge corporations to everyday folks, the people who do the work. Its the only way to stop their socialist agenda"

Ya, that is really extremely funny. ... And extremely sad.

Hans
Old 23rd January 2021, 12:11 PM   #1599
Dragon
Graduate Poster

The means of production, distribution, and exchange should be owned or regulated by the community as a whole - it's the American Way!
Old 23rd January 2021, 12:11 PM   #1600
trustbutverify
Philosopher

I give up.
trustbutverify is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics