IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 24th January 2021, 09:04 PM   #1
Dumb All Over
A Little Ugly on the Side

Location: They call it the Earth (which is a dumb kinda name)
Tinfoil Hats for the 21st Century!

Do not delay. Get yours today. Protect your cranium and all it holds from harmful 5G electromagnetic radiation.

The Faraday Beanie by Lambs

Only $59! Hurry! Act now! Supplies are limited.

Wait! You need to protect more than just your head? Lambs has the right solution for you. Try their Faraday T-Shirt. It offers the same EMF protection as the Faraday Beanie and includes ultraviolet light protection as well. Amazing!

"Our technology uses the principle of electromagnetic shielding. Radiation cannot reach an object that is fully covered by a tight conductive grid, as it cannot pass through holes in conductive materials that are smaller than its wavelength (picture elephant trying to pass through the holes of a fence). We seamlessly integrated a close-knit of conductive silver fibers all around our T-shirt and created an advanced electromagnetic shield to protect your body blocking 99% of wireless radiation."

But that's not all. For the body parts that require THE MOST protection, you must purchase a pair of EMF-proof Faraday Boxer Briefs. If you can't afford the $45 full price per pair right now, you can pay in four easy installments of $11.25 each.

All items are available in an assortment of special designer colors.

And don't forget - "For every purchase you make, Lambs will donate 5 meals to Feeding America."

Customer Cornelia M. writes - "A company that takes great pride in doing it right: top quality product to protect us from danger that our government hides from us at the behest of mass communication, data hijackers Google Facebook...ATT Verizon Apple, our world going AI, online wireless. In late1970’s people were warned to not jar their heart, an electromagnetic system , by staRead more about review stating Critical to own if using wireless tech, living in 1st world country 21st Centurynding in front of a powered up microwave . Wish I could manage in aFARADAY SUIT like an astronaut. With Lamb’s FARADAY BEENIE at least I can decrease my brain’s exposure, not getting Gioblastoma. Powers-that-be stopped education, stats of this brain cancer related to cell phones."

Customer Victor A. says - "This Bennie is remarkable, Isughested it to some of my friends, and they all bought one."

Isn't that swell?
The Three Word Story Pledge of Allegiance- "I Hereby swear upon Engelbert's grave that I will gallop, not stride run, not walk posting three words on Shemp's honor, honoring: bananas, dwarfs, clarinets, [the 7th naughty forum word], haggis, Batman, nuns, wombats until such time as I'm sober. Or dead."
"Some people have a way with words, other people...Um...Oh...Uh, not have way." -Steve Martin
Dumb All Over is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th January 2021, 10:38 PM   #2
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger

I would love to buy one and then wrap my phone it in and see if I can call the phone. If I can then it does not work. But I think I will save my money as they probably do not work.
Old 25th January 2021, 09:25 AM   #3
Bikewer
Penultimate Amazing

But...... Aluminum foil is so cheap, and there’s no problem with sizing....

We actually had a fellow we’d taken into custody who had his hard hat lined with foil.... I asked if it worked and he agreed it was quite effective. (Amid incoherent babbling...)
Bikewer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th January 2021, 06:47 PM   #4
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Bikewer View Post

We actually had a fellow we’d taken into custody who had his hard hat lined with foil.... I asked if it worked and he agreed it was quite effective. (Amid incoherent babbling...)
Ha! I got a YouTube ad for that just an hour or so ago. On a sciency channel!
There was another one for a "tactical zoom monocular". Because "tactical" makes everything better, even crappy telescopes.
Old 25th January 2021, 07:23 PM   #5
HansMustermann
Penultimate Amazing

Here's a thought though. Let's assume for the scope of this exercise that high levels of such radiation do harm your brain. Let's also assume it does exactly what it does on the tin, namely, reflect microwaves.

Let's also approximate the cap with a hemisphere or so, while you wear it. You can probably already see where this is going.

Well, radiation from the back, sure, it will hit the convex surface and be reflected away. Job done.

What about radiation from the front, though? Like, dunno, when you're browsing on your cell phone while wearing that. Or if you're paranoid enough, wearing it while using the laptop, which is connected to WiFi. Or from the wireless keyboard and mouse.

Right. That one hits the concave surface and is focused towards the middle of the brain. Exposing it to MUCH higher levels of microwaves.

Quoth the meme: But wait, I'm not done yet.

That radiation would normally pass through the brain once, a tiny fraction might be absorbed, but the rest goes on its merry way. Now however it hits that concave side of the cap, and is reflected. The whole upper and back of the cortex will be exposed to twice the dose of radiation: once incoming, once reflected.

So, yeah, especially whoever is the kind who'd wear a tin-foil hat... probably shouldn't

Last edited by HansMustermann; 25th January 2021 at 07:24 PM.
HansMustermann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th January 2021, 08:26 PM   #6
Mike!
Official Ponylandistanian National Treasure. Respect it!

Location: Ponylandistan! Where the bacon grows on trees! Can it get any better than that? I submit it can not!
Originally Posted by HansMustermann View Post
Here's a thought though. Let's assume for the scope of this exercise that high levels of such radiation do harm your brain. Let's also assume it does exactly what it does on the tin, namely, reflect microwaves.

Let's also approximate the cap with a hemisphere or so, while you wear it. You can probably already see where this is going.

Well, radiation from the back, sure, it will hit the convex surface and be reflected away. Job done.

What about radiation from the front, though? Like, dunno, when you're browsing on your cell phone while wearing that. Or if you're paranoid enough, wearing it while using the laptop, which is connected to WiFi. Or from the wireless keyboard and mouse.

Right. That one hits the concave surface and is focused towards the middle of the brain. Exposing it to MUCH higher levels of microwaves.

Quoth the meme: But wait, I'm not done yet.

That radiation would normally pass through the brain once, a tiny fraction might be absorbed, but the rest goes on its merry way. Now however it hits that concave side of the cap, and is reflected. The whole upper and back of the cortex will be exposed to twice the dose of radiation: once incoming, once reflected.

So, yeah, especially whoever is the kind who'd wear a tin-foil hat... probably shouldn't
That's why your best bet is the tinfoil yamaka.
Old 25th January 2021, 09:33 PM   #7
HansMustermann
Penultimate Amazing

Nah, that would have the same problem. What you'd really want is a tinfoil burqa.
Old 25th January 2021, 10:49 PM   #8
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

I see a marketing opportunity for Piercing Studios ...
The Great Zaganza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th January 2021, 07:31 AM   #9
P.J. Denyer
Philosopher

Reading that advertising blurb all I was just blown away by the idea that they think.the key to stopping elephants getting through a fence is making sure the holes are small enough...

"Nebulous means Nebulous" - Adam Hills
P.J. Denyer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th January 2021, 12:41 PM   #10
Mike!
Official Ponylandistanian National Treasure. Respect it!

Location: Ponylandistan! Where the bacon grows on trees! Can it get any better than that? I submit it can not!
Nah, that would have the same problem. What you'd really want is a tinfoil burqa.
I was thinking a with a smaller surface area it would have less chance of a parabolic progressively reflective feedback loop* that could end up causing some serious dain bramage.

*You gotta admit that sounds like some first class technobabble, doesn't it?
Old 26th January 2021, 01:33 PM   #11
HansMustermann
Penultimate Amazing

Well, you are right that it would indeed be a smaller reflector, and a lot less likely to form basically a resonance cavity if your head is juuust the right size for the wavelength. Thing is, though, it's still subjecting SOME of the brain to twice the radiation, and a small area of the brain to a LOT more radiation. Both are, of course, less than for a bigger reflector, but they're still worse than not wearing a reflector in the first place.

As I was saying, IMHO if anyone wants it to actually shield them, they really should shield all around. I.e., wear a burqa.
Old 26th January 2021, 01:42 PM   #12
HansMustermann
Penultimate Amazing

Hell, I'm even tempted to joke that they should tape some reflective duct tape over their nose and mouth, so they don't inhale those scary microwaves. But I'm afraid that some of the... less... intellectual out there might actually do it.
Old 26th January 2021, 01:48 PM   #13
SuburbanTurkey
Philosopher

On a similar note of pointless uses of faraday cages, here's negative reviews for a faraday box being marketed to keep 5G out of your wireless router. People are upset that it killed their network signal strength for some reason...

https://twitter.com/AnsgarTOdinson/s...15546979803137
Old 26th January 2021, 01:59 PM   #14
HansMustermann
Penultimate Amazing

Yeah, THAT one really takes the cake.
Old 26th January 2021, 04:15 PM   #15
Dumb All Over

Hell, I'm even tempted to joke that they should tape some reflective duct tape over their nose and mouth, so they don't inhale those scary microwaves. But I'm afraid that some of the... less... intellectual out there might actually do it.

The Darwin Awards are always on the lookout for new nominees.
The Three Word Story Pledge of Allegiance- "I Hereby swear upon Engelbert's grave that I will gallop, not stride run, not walk posting three words on Shemp's honor, honoring: bananas, dwarfs, clarinets, [the 7th naughty forum word], haggis, Batman, nuns, wombats until such time as I'm sober. Or dead."
"Some people have a way with words, other people...Um...Oh...Uh, not have way." -Steve Martin
Dumb All Over is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th January 2021, 04:34 PM   #16
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Why would that be a problem?
Old 26th January 2021, 04:51 PM   #17
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
It would be for their next of kin. They would be dead. Mind you, society might be better off by an increase in average intelligence levels.
Old 26th January 2021, 11:09 PM   #18
HansMustermann
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
'Cause people start getting PTSD flashbacks when a German proposes that the mentally unfit should stop breathing
Old 26th January 2021, 11:24 PM   #19
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena
Pronouns: he/him

Originally Posted by Bikewer View Post
How are you going to make money selling aluminium foil??
Old 26th January 2021, 11:27 PM   #20
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
too much up-front investment.

I'll sell buckets of water - even better shielding!
The Great Zaganza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th January 2021, 12:42 AM   #21
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger

There is a great market in selling products that do not add value.
Old 27th January 2021, 02:18 AM   #22
Lplus
Muse

No problem, they can breath through their ears - there's surely no brain in there to get in the way.

Communism actively works against the fundamental urge of the human animal to survive and prosper, even at the expense of others, whilst Nazism relies on that urge.
Lplus is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th January 2021, 05:45 AM   #23
Carrot Flower King
Muse

Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post
On a similar note of pointless uses of faraday cages, here's negative reviews for a faraday box being marketed to keep 5G out of your wireless router. People are upset that it killed their network signal strength for some reason...

https://twitter.com/AnsgarTOdinson/s...15546979803137
This one is interesting from a sceptical point of view.

I mean, I'm sure we'd all love it to be true that some numpties and eejits have done this, but...

I've just spent the last hour following links, doing a couple of searches, reading online articles and the like and the ONLY comment of that sort about a Faraday cage cutting out someone's wifi is the one Amazon review cited in that Twitter feed. And even that one is a bit suspect, as the other Amazon reviews he mentions are all piss takes, as are the ones which appear in a related Practical Mechanics piece or ones I found under some other Amazon things.

There are several articles which refer back only to that Twitter feed and to nothing else.

So, next question is: are there any other sources for this story? I would love there to be, but...
Carrot Flower King is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th January 2021, 05:49 AM   #24
SuburbanTurkey
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Carrot Flower King View Post

I mean, I'm sure we'd all love it to be true that some numpties and eejits have done this, but...

I've just spent the last hour following links, doing a couple of searches, reading online articles and the like and the ONLY comment of that sort about a Faraday cage cutting out someone's wifi is the one Amazon review cited in that Twitter feed. And even that one is a bit suspect, as the other Amazon reviews he mentions are all piss takes, as are the ones which appear in a related Practical Mechanics piece or ones I found under some other Amazon things.

There are several articles which refer back only to that Twitter feed and to nothing else.

So, next question is: are there any other sources for this story? I would love there to be, but...
Shush now, it's true if you believe it's true.

You've done more looking into this than I have, it's entirely possible it's fake.

Funny regardless, so that's where my interest ends.
Old 27th January 2021, 06:01 AM   #25
Carrot Flower King
Muse

^ Being on a sceptical site'n'that (as well as being retired and waiting around for a couple of deliveries...), I thought it might be interesting to see how much I was giving in to confirmation bias in wanting that story to be true.

I find this sort of thing especially interesting, coming from a healthcare background with some science training, as we had a load of manure of the bovine here about wind turbines during the planning process for the turbines we now have - all the illnesses we would have and the interference with (satellite) TV signals and the flicker and...and...None of which has happened and none of which could happen (position of turbines relative to track of sun and position of TV dishes made some of that certain), but so many local numpties were trotting it all out, while looking blankly whenever I said "Nocebo?"
Carrot Flower King is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th January 2021, 07:59 AM   #26
HansMustermann
Penultimate Amazing

Just the fact that anyone would buy a Faraday cage for their router at all is already a sign that something isn't ticking right up there, though.
Old 27th January 2021, 10:06 AM   #27
Armitage72
Philosopher

On the plus side, using silver fibers means you can wear the clothing longer before it starts to smell. Silver has antimicrobial properties and will retard the growth of bacteria on the clothing. No health benefit, but it will protect the clothing itself.
Armitage72 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th January 2021, 10:43 AM   #28
Dumb All Over

Originally Posted by Armitage72 View Post
On the plus side, using silver fibers means you can wear the clothing longer before it starts to smell. Silver has antimicrobial properties and will retard the growth of bacteria on the clothing. No health benefit, but it will protect the clothing itself.

What do you do when the silver begins to tarnish? Rub your Faraday Boxer Briefs with silver polish?
Old 27th January 2021, 11:01 AM   #29
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

And if you take it internally you turn blue!
Old 27th January 2021, 11:30 AM   #30
Cat Not Included
Thinker

Plus, built in protection against werewolves!
Cat Not Included is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th January 2021, 09:48 PM   #31
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena
Pronouns: he/him

Just the fact that anyone would buy a Faraday cage for their router at all is already a sign that something isn't ticking right up there, though.
Lack of education does not imply mental incapacity.
Old 27th January 2021, 10:09 PM   #32
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger

Either the Faraday cage does not work or it cuts out the Wifi signal. There really are not any other options.

It even says it will block the Wifi signal in the description

Quote:
PROTECTS FROM HARMFUL RADIATION - The Wi-Fi Router Cover is proven to block about 95% of electromagnetic field (EMF) and radio frequency (RF) radiation emitted by routers all day long. The EMF blocker works like a Faraday fabric or cage to effectively shield the router and highly reduce the intensity of radiation it emits in a given space.
https://www.amazon.com.au/Upgraded-B...HV6/ref=sr_1_2

Several reviews also said it reduced the wifi signal.
Old 27th January 2021, 11:21 PM   #33
HansMustermann
Penultimate Amazing

Hmm... true... I guess I'd better make it an aluminium pasta strainer. That way I can also sell it to our FSM-fearing pastafarian customers.

No, wait, titanium-nickel for maximum durability.
Old 28th January 2021, 03:45 AM   #34
Carrot Flower King
Muse

Originally Posted by rjh01 View Post
Either the Faraday cage does not work or it cuts out the Wifi signal. There really are not any other options.

It even says it will block the Wifi signal in the description

https://www.amazon.com.au/Upgraded-B...HV6/ref=sr_1_2

Several reviews also said it reduced the wifi signal.
Yes, I know how a Faraday cage works...

My quibble, as I said, was about how genuine the reviews about the cages blocking wifi signal actually are, as the bulk of the (many) I read were clear pisstakes, and I did read reviews of several similar products. And there is also a point about confirmation bias among us lot, as we would really like to believe that such reviews are real.
Old 28th January 2021, 03:57 AM   #35
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger

Yes, I know how a Faraday cage works...

My quibble, as I said, was about how genuine the reviews about the cages blocking wifi signal actually are, as the bulk of the (many) I read were clear pisstakes, and I did read reviews of several similar products. And there is also a point about confirmation bias among us lot, as we would really like to believe that such reviews are real.
If you click on their names you will be able to read other reviews these people have made. After doing that can find no evidence that they wrote fake reviews.
Old 28th January 2021, 04:03 AM   #36
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Originally Posted by rjh01 View Post
The one's having the pisstake are the people selling this. It's just a cheap wire-mesh home-office document box worth maybe $5 at most being sold as a $188 crotch-protector for ignorant idjits.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th January 2021, 04:09 AM   #37
Carrot Flower King
Muse

The ones about it curing their cancer and the like?

I still found way more pisstakes than anything else.

OK, glad to know there are actually some of those eejits out there. Let's get back to mocking them after making sure we have the correct eejits?
Old 28th January 2021, 05:59 AM   #38
HansMustermann
Penultimate Amazing

As I was saying, just the fact that anyone buys such a product at all, is already a sign that they're not ticking right. If you don't want EM waves, just use a network cable. If nothing else, you don't start getting lost packets that way. Or get one with an eco/low-power option and turn that on.

I mean, if nothing else, the Faraday cage around the router doesn't do anything to attenuate the signal from the laptop to YOU.
Old 28th January 2021, 06:07 AM   #39
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

As I was saying, just the fact that anyone buys such a product at all, is already a sign that they're not ticking right. If you don't want EM waves, just use a network cable. If nothing else, you don't start getting lost packets that way. Or get one with an eco/low-power option and turn that on.

I mean, if nothing else, the Faraday cage around the router doesn't do anything to attenuate the signal from the laptop to YOU.
There are mats to prevent that:
Old 28th January 2021, 06:42 AM   #40
HansMustermann
Penultimate Amazing

It still only blocks it downwards. We're in a thread about saving your noggin from radiation, so I'd say clearly a pad under the laptop won't do much for that gang.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal