IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Coronavirus

Closed Thread
Old 1st February 2021, 06:08 AM   #3401
Airfix
Graduate Poster

What's wrong with sharing the recipe with other manufacturers and sub-contracting production ?
Has that not occurred to them ?

Provide a licence to manufacture.
Cover any necessary costs.
Airfix is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 1st February 2021, 06:15 AM   #3402
Archie Gemmill Goal
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Airfix View Post
What's wrong with sharing the recipe with other manufacturers and sub-contracting production ?

How many third party manufacturers are capable of doing the job and how long would it take to get them approved as a sub contract supplier?
Old 1st February 2021, 06:23 AM   #3403
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

As usual, Boris Johnson cannot resist the opportunity to get a positive headline:

Quote:
Prime Minister Boris Johnson says he is "optimistic" about the summer holidays this year.

Johnson says he doesn't want to "give too much" by way of dates for the summer holidays but that he will be setting out more on 22 February "about the way ahead" and that "people should certainly be able to plan on that basis".
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-5...ost_type=share

Everyone will be happy to go on their hollybobs, we'll have a second "eat out to help out" in August and then be surprised when the case load and death tolls mount in autumn 2021.
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 1st February 2021, 06:28 AM   #3404
Airfix
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Archie Gemmill Goal View Post
How many third party manufacturers are capable of doing the job and how long would it take to get them approved as a sub contract supplier?
I am talking about the businesses who are normally their competitors.
Airfix is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 1st February 2021, 06:51 AM   #3405
Lplus
Muse

Originally Posted by The Don View Post
As usual, Boris Johnson cannot resist the opportunity to get a positive headline:

Everyone will be happy to go on their hollybobs, we'll have a second "eat out to help out" in August and then be surprised when the case load and death tolls mount in autumn 2021.
Presumably you are assuming the vaccines will be useless by then?

Communism actively works against the fundamental urge of the human animal to survive and prosper, even at the expense of others, whilst Nazism relies on that urge.
Lplus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 1st February 2021, 07:48 AM   #3406
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Lplus View Post
Presumably you are assuming the vaccines will be useless by then?
The vaccine programme with only be half done by summer so while it will be a factor come the autumn, most of the people who will have been on their summer holidays will not have been vaccinated, will have chosen not to be vaccinated, will have been vaccinated only once, will have been vaccinated but not yet have developed immunity or will have been part of the n% who don't develop immunity.

These people will have been mingling on flights, in resort and at home whilst having the "reassurance" of the vaccine. IMO it's almost a perfect storm for an Autumn explosion of infection.
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 1st February 2021, 07:56 AM   #3407
Archie Gemmill Goal
Philosopher

I am talking about the businesses who are normally their competitors.
The ones that are already busy producing their own vaccines?
Old 1st February 2021, 08:14 AM   #3408
Wudang
BOFH

If you read down to "article 5.4" in the link below it requires AZ to work with a list of CMOs (definition unclear) to manufacture the vaccine if they fall short if I read it correctly. The link to the contract in the article is broken (it links to a pdf on his own harddrive)

https://davidallengreen.com/2021/01/...actually-says/
Old 1st February 2021, 08:20 AM   #3409
Airfix
Graduate Poster

I read that section over the weekend, it is slightly vague, however the Von Der Leyen Commission U turned after international pressure including condemnation from the World Health Organisation and the Irish government.
Old 1st February 2021, 08:33 AM   #3410
Airfix
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Archie Gemmill Goal View Post
The ones that are already busy producing their own vaccines?
As I understand it seasonal flu infections have fallen strongly.
If that is the case, producers of flu vaccines may have redundant production capacity that could be turned over to Covid vaccine production, if it hasn't already been.

Something to consider... If the capacity exists.
Old 1st February 2021, 09:45 AM   #3411
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Some good news for The Don family. The headline case rate (number tested positive in the last 7 days per 100,000) in Monmouthshire is down to 95/100,000, a month ago it was 500/100,000. This seems to indicate that being out and about, while taking suitable precautions, is significantly less risky than it was quite recently. We'll still be wary, but there's less reason to be paranoid.

More good news. The rules in Wales changed on 30 January. We can now meet another person outside our household for exercise. This means that Mrs Don can go for a walk with a friend or I can go for a run or a ride with my neighbour.

edited to add.....

Today's headline figure is 85.6/100,000

Last edited by The Don; 1st February 2021 at 09:51 AM.
Old 1st February 2021, 09:47 AM   #3412
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

As I understand it seasonal flu infections have fallen strongly.
If that is the case, producers of flu vaccines may have redundant production capacity that could be turned over to Covid vaccine production, if it hasn't already been.

Something to consider... If the capacity exists.
Why ?

AIUI there was actually higher demand for flu vaccines this winter as all over 50's were eligible for one - I got to have my first

This may be one of the reasons why there was less seasonal flu around (another would be that the precautions to prevent Covid infection also help to prevent flu).
Old 1st February 2021, 10:10 AM   #3413
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Anyone else find it mildly amusing that many top bods who have said the more infectious variant shouldn’t be called “the UK” variant just because it was detected first in the UK are quite happy talking about the “SA variant”?
Old 1st February 2021, 10:53 AM   #3414
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

I see the wording 'reasonable best efforts' as another way of saying 'in good faith', which is presumed within a contract anyway. With advance ordering of supplies not yet produced then to mitigate against the risk of non-fulfilment, there needs to be 'work-in-progress' type reports as to how the project is going. There should have been an early contingency plan for any shortfall in expectation. For example, 'Party A shall notify Party B within X period of time, should delivery targets not be attainable'.

Either the EU were caught on the backfoot or AstraZeneca reneged. Or, of course, simpler than bad faith, it could just be an old-fashioned cock-up.

vilken tröst, vad än som kommer på!
Vixen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 1st February 2021, 10:54 AM   #3415
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

It's under patent. Trade secrets.

Vixen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 1st February 2021, 10:56 AM   #3416
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

Just ignore any headline that says, 'could'.

I don't even consider this news but dull meaningless PR. <fx YAWN>

Old 1st February 2021, 11:00 AM   #3417
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

Some good news for The Don family. The headline case rate (number tested positive in the last 7 days per 100,000) in Monmouthshire is down to 95/100,000, a month ago it was 500/100,000. This seems to indicate that being out and about, while taking suitable precautions, is significantly less risky than it was quite recently. We'll still be wary, but there's less reason to be paranoid.

More good news. The rules in Wales changed on 30 January. We can now meet another person outside our household for exercise. This means that Mrs Don can go for a walk with a friend or I can go for a run or a ride with my neighbour.

edited to add.....

116/100K here.

Old 1st February 2021, 11:04 AM   #3418
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by Vixen View Post
I see the wording 'reasonable best efforts' ...snip...
Yet that’s not what they actually mean in a contract under UK law or indeed EU law.
Old 1st February 2021, 11:20 AM   #3419
Wudang
BOFH

In fact the contract defines it as above. And a CMO (referenced above) is a Contract Manufacturing Organization. The documents can be downloaded from
https://ec.europa.eu/commission/pres...l/en/ip_21_302
Old 1st February 2021, 11:52 AM   #3420
Airfix
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Vixen View Post
It's under patent. Trade secrets.
And that can be dealt with via confidentiality agreements and a production licence.
Old 1st February 2021, 02:04 PM   #3421
Rolfe
Anti-homeopathy illuminati member

edited to add.....

Our "neighbourhood" is on 48.6, although the local authority as a whole is on 79.6. Wouldn't you be better going by your own neighbourhood if you're not planning on going far?

There were reports of an "outbreak" in the village where I live in the middle of last week, but I don't think we were anything out of the ordinary and the doctor's surgery were telling people the testing centre was set up in the village more because of geography - we're 40 miles from the county hospital and possibly the same to the airport where there is a test centre. Some people were getting tested although they knew they couldn't have been exposed but I didn't bother. First rule of laboratory medicine, if you know for certain what the result is going to be, don't do the test (unless it's a real population survey, which this wasn't).

I walked into the centre of the village this afternoon to pay my newspaper bill and buy some more tapeworm tablets for the cat, because the weather forecast says we might be snowed in tonight or tomorrow for a few days. Not that it's impossible to walk the 500 yards to the village centre no matter how much snow there is but why make it difficult? Both shops I went into are one-customer-only and have perspex shields at the counters, but I wore the FFP3 anyway.

I met a friend on the way back so I dropped my purchases off at my house and continued on a walk with her. I think it's legal anyway, but since I'm in a rather arms-length extended household with her and her husband, it was OK regardless. Her husband has already had his first vaccine dose and everyone seems to think they're getting through the lists pretty well despite the attempts at bad publicity and rubbishing the system. Numbers of new infections are certainly coming down.
Old 1st February 2021, 02:18 PM   #3422
Airfix
Graduate Poster

If it helps save lives and get the UK variant taken more seriously, then we should call it that.
Old 1st February 2021, 02:28 PM   #3423
Agatha
Winking at the Moon
Deputy Admin

Mod Info Continuation thread opened here.
Posted By:Agatha

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics