IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Congressional hearings , donald trump , impeachment , Trump administration , Trump controversies , Trump impeachment

Old 17th February 2021, 01:20 PM   #2841
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
Agreed. People's fears are often unfounded on facts but that doesn't stop them from having them and, thus, politicians from playing on them. That is what Trump does/did so well. Contrary to the economy doing well, guns not being confiscated and no sharia law under eight years of Obama, Trump was able to play on people's fears that those and a host of other horrible things would still happen under Clinton. Fear mongering is the bread and butter of the right wing and most especially of Trumpism. All you have to do is listen to right wing pundits to understand that. I've long said that Fear is the basis of conservatism.

The underlying problem is the atomization of the mediasphere. Not long ago most people got most of their information from the national network news programs and the mainstream daily papers. They didn't have to like it, but they started from the same base of information. Today, going back in part to the end of the Fairness Doctrine, people can arrange their lives so they only hear from Fox and AM radio and crazy websites. Facebook targets newsfeeds so everybody gets something unique to them that reinforces what they already believe. People aren't just ignorant; they don't know they are ignorant. There is no obvious way to get out of this.

Also, Mark Zuckerberg is the Devil.

Last edited by Bob001; 17th February 2021 at 01:22 PM.
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th February 2021, 07:11 PM   #2842
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post
The underlying problem is the atomization of the mediasphere. Not long ago most people got most of their information from the national network news programs and the mainstream daily papers. They didn't have to like it, but they started from the same base of information. Today, going back in part to the end of the Fairness Doctrine, people can arrange their lives so they only hear from Fox and AM radio and crazy websites. Facebook targets newsfeeds so everybody gets something unique to them that reinforces what they already believe. People aren't just ignorant; they don't know they are ignorant. There is no obvious way to get out of this.

Also, Mark Zuckerberg is the Devil.
True. We all watched the same 3 basic news channels; ABC, NBC, CBS. News went from local 1/2 hour to national 1/2 hour to an hour national/international every evening and it had to cover a lot. Then came cable 24 hour and FOX.

It's not so much that people are ignorant; it's that people are ignorant of the other side's view and, frankly, one side simply lies a hell of a lot more than the other. Case in point:
Quote:

Sean Hannity and Fox and Friends lied about Trump's "spontaneous" and "totally organic" drive by rally in Florida:

Fox News’ Pete Hegseth gushed Tuesday on “Fox & Friends” that hordes of fans spontaneously showed up to greet former President Donald Trump’s motorcade on President’s Day.

Only the roadside salute wasn’t a spur-of-the-moment outpouring of love ― not by a long shot. It was a long-planned gathering, according to reports, to celebrate the ex-president.

Hegseth, however, insisted otherwise. A day earlier, Fox News personality Sean Hannity also called the event spontaneous and Donald Trump Jr. said on Hannity’s show that the parade was “totally organic.”

As “Fox & Friends” showed video of loyalists cheering Trump as he returned from a golf outing in West Palm Beach, Florida, Hegseth said: “That was not a planned event. That was spontaneous on President’s Day for Donald Trump.”

“Correct,” added co-host Ainsley Earhardt. (Fast forward to 11:00 below.)

New York magazine’s Olivia Nuzzi tweeted an announcement for the rally, noting that “far-right media” had been promoting it for a week.

https://twitter.com/Olivianuzzi/stat...trump-rally%2F

The “Fox & Friends” co-hosts then continued their discussion about a poll indicating most Republicans would favor a third major political party. Hegseth attributed the finding to GOP members’ “affinity” for Trump.

“This is a party that has been totally transformed by Donald Trump by the way he attacked the issues that he believes in,” Hegseth said.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th February 2021, 11:36 PM   #2843
SezMe
post-pre-born

Originally Posted by Pacal View Post
The bottom line is getting a conviction would have been an very difficult uphill struggle. The fact that a few days earlier 45 republicans voted that the trial was unconstitutional on utterly specious, easily shown, grounds shows just how difficult it would be. The fact Mitch, do not forget Republican House leader in the Senate, voted to acquit, even though he admits Trump was guilty, on those specious grounds indicates just how difficult it would be. The fact Mitch was at least partly totally responsible for those specious grounds is disgusting.
Good post but nobody - I mean NOBODY - other than Moscow Mitch was responsible for the delayed Senate trial.
SezMe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th February 2021, 11:43 PM   #2844
SezMe
post-pre-born

Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
The problem is, republican actions in voting against impeachment are going to delay Trump's problems. By not impeaching him (and banning him from political office in the future), they allow him a lifeline... he can scam funds from the foolish (in the guise of "funding a political run") which will find its way into his personal bank account, he can start holding rallies (because he's still theoretically a viable candidate). And now, any attempt to charge him for anything (tax fraud, Georgia election interference, etc.) can get spun into "Political attack!"
convicting
SezMe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th February 2021, 12:03 AM   #2845
Aridas
Crazy Little Green Dragon

Originally Posted by SezMe View Post
Good post but nobody - I mean NOBODY - other than Moscow Mitch was responsible for the delayed Senate trial.
If it did require unanimous consent at that point, I'm pretty sure that there are a number of Senators who would object just to be Trump toadies.
Old 18th February 2021, 11:45 PM   #2846
Bubba
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Vixen View Post
It has been known for concussed individuals to not realise how serious their condition is straightaway.

Quote:
One of the most significant of these falsehoods was the tale — endorsed over and over without any caveats by the media for more than a month — that Capitol Police officer Brian Sicknick was murdered by the pro-Trump mob when they beat him to death with a fire extinguisher. That claim was first published by The New York Times on January 8 in an article headlined “Capitol Police Officer Dies From Injuries in Pro-Trump Rampage.” It cited “two [anonymous] law enforcement officials” to claim that Sicknick died “with the mob rampaging through the halls of Congress” and after he “was struck with a fire extinguisher.”A second New York Times article from later that day — bearing the more dramatic headline: “He Dreamed of Being a Police Officer, Then Was Killed by a Pro-Trump Mob” — elaborated on that story:

https://greenwald.substack.com/p/the...gerated-claims
Bubba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th February 2021, 12:32 AM   #2847
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Bubba View Post

Quote:
Quote:
One of the most significant of these falsehoods was the tale — endorsed over and over without any caveats by the media for more than a month — that Capitol Police officer Brian Sicknick was murdered by the pro-Trump mob when they beat him to death with a fire extinguisher. That claim was first published by The New York Times on January 8 in an article headlined “Capitol Police Officer Dies From Injuries in Pro-Trump Rampage.” It cited “two [anonymous] law enforcement officials” to claim that Sicknick died “with the mob rampaging through the halls of Congress” and after he “was struck with a fire extinguisher.”A second New York Times article from later that day — bearing the more dramatic headline: “He Dreamed of Being a Police Officer, Then Was Killed by a Pro-Trump Mob” — elaborated on that story:
https://greenwald.substack.com/p/the...gerated-claims
That's not really true now, is it? No one reported that Sicknick was 'beaten to death by the mob' as he returned to his unit and only collapsed hours later. So we can put the lie to that.

As you've already been told and been had the citation provided, but continue to ignore (quelle surprise), the initial report of Sicknick being hit over the head with a fire extinguisher came from law enforcement officials. Even Fox News reported if as such:
Quote:
Fox News had reported on authorities who said Sicknick's death was attributable to being hit with a fire extinguisher, but in recent weeks it reported on the conflicting accounts coming from law enforcement sources.
Fake news Fox?

If you want to blame someone for the false info, I suggest you start with the law enforcement and stop blaming the media who only reported what they were told. Perhaps you should switch to water and stop drinking the Kool Aid.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th February 2021, 06:41 AM   #2848
Fast Eddie B
Philosopher

There’s a podcast titled “Cleanup on Aisle 45”.

The latest episode contains a long discussion as to why the House managers called for a vote on a witness, then failed to carry through after winning the vote with some bipartisan support.

https://open.spotify.com/show/6IfREmNobAT9zWOmgJG9Bi

Their sentiments largely mirror my own.
Fast Eddie B is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th February 2021, 10:10 PM   #2849
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Minoosh View Post
Trump didn't write that! It's rewarding seeing his words muffled by his own PAC.

His original statement would have closer to "Mitch is a LOSER and anyone pathetic enough to support him will be a LOSER in 2022. Sad!"
According to a comment on The Daily Show, Trump did write his usual crap and whoever is trying to mind him at the moment rewrote it.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th February 2021, 10:13 PM   #2850
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Fast Eddie B View Post

The latest episode contains a long discussion as to why the House managers called for a vote on a witness, then failed to carry through after winning the vote with some bipartisan support.

Do I have to sign up for Spotify to listen to it? And is it free?
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th February 2021, 02:26 AM   #2851
Blue Mountain
Resident Skeptical Hobbit

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
I searched for the podcast on DuckDuckGo and found something at podparadise.com.

You can download an MP3 file directly from this location (caveat: worked for me, but can't guarantee it will work for you.)
The social illusion reigns to-day upon all the heaped-up ruins of the past, and to it belongs the future. The masses have never thirsted after truth. They turn aside from evidence that is not to their taste, preferring to deify error, if error seduce them. Gustav Le Bon, The Crowd, 1895 (from the French)
Canadian or living in Canada? PM me if you want an entry on the list of Canadians on the forum.
Blue Mountain is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th February 2021, 03:43 AM   #2852
SezMe
post-pre-born

I used to have some respect for Greenwald but unfortunately, he's lost his ability to be objective. One example from that link starts with his castigating the New York Times for citing:

Quote:
“two [anonymous] law enforcement officials” to claim that Sicknick died “
First note that Greenwald inserted the [anonymous] word which implies they were unknown to either law enforcement or the Times (or both). There is no justification for that assertion. Worse (for Greenwald and Bubba) the paragraph that contains the citation begins with

Quote:
The circumstances surrounding Mr. Sicknick's death were not immediately clear,....
which makes clear that this is preliminary information.

Contrast that with that later in the same article Greenwald cites CNN as follows:

Quote:
According to one law enforcement official, medical examiners did not find signs that the officer sustained any blunt force trauma, so investigators believe that early reports that he was fatally struck by a fire extinguisher are not true.
That's not a completely fair citation since the original article does NOT include the italicized emphasis; that is yet another of Greenwald's insertion but this one he does not even acknowledge.

Finally, note his emphasis on the importance of just one unnamed official to make his point while earlier in the same article he castigated the Times for the use of *two* sources. I conclude that Greenwald is not a reliable source for political commentary.

Last edited by SezMe; 20th February 2021 at 03:45 AM.
Old 20th February 2021, 03:49 AM   #2853
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Not sure if Greenwald has ever published anything without it being part of his agenda.
The Great Zaganza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th February 2021, 06:34 AM   #2854
Fast Eddie B
Philosopher

The podcast is free, and is available on any podcast app. I’m in the Apple ecosystem, and their “Podcast” app is free. It used to suck - I think it’s a lot better now, but years ago I downloaded one called “Downcast” and have continued to use it. I’m sure there are lots of Android and Windows equivalents. Should be easy to find.
Fast Eddie B is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th February 2021, 11:09 AM   #2855
Ryokan
Insert something funny here

Originally Posted by Fast Eddie B View Post

I found it both on the Stitcher and the Acast podcast apps.
Ryokan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th February 2021, 02:11 PM   #2856
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Ryokan View Post
I found it both on the Stitcher and the Acast podcast apps.
It's also on PlayerFM, which has versions for both Android and Windows. I use it on the Android phone, because it does a good job of saving podcasts for later off-line playing.

Quand il dit "cuic" le moineau croit tout dire. (When he's tweeted the sparrow thinks he's said it all. (Jules Renard)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th February 2021, 05:59 AM   #2857
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

We still know that Sicknick was the only American who died that day.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics