IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 2nd October 2021, 07:44 AM   #1
MaartenVergu
Illuminator

No one can grasp 'time'; Not even a scientist

If there was an infinite amount of time in the past, then it would have taken infinite time for time to reach to our present moment. We would never meet the present moment. So, we can't postulate that there was an infinite amount of time before our present moment. But it's also hard to grasp that there was a fixed amount of time in our past and 'nothing before that'. How can we have an idea of what that means? We can't. Conclusion: not even a scientist can grasp 'time' and 'infinity'. Our minds can't grasp it. No math or science can discover this part of reality.
That's one of the mysteries of reality we can only meet with 'awe'.

Last edited by MaartenVergu; 2nd October 2021 at 07:53 AM.
MaartenVergu is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd October 2021, 08:02 AM   #2
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

tl;dr
Old 2nd October 2021, 08:36 AM   #3
RecoveringYuppy
Penultimate Amazing

The idea that infinities can't be traversed is not well founded.
RecoveringYuppy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd October 2021, 09:27 AM   #4
sackett
Philosopher

Okay, here we go again: What was there before the Big Bang?

If you would ruin a man's character, let him seize power.
sackett is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd October 2021, 09:41 AM   #5
Gord_in_Toronto
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by sackett View Post
Oo. Oo. Let me -- God!

And I'm still placing my money on the hare not the tortoise.
Old 2nd October 2021, 09:50 AM   #6
Wudang
BOFH

Originally Posted by MaartenVergu View Post
No math or science
Propositional analysis FTW.
Old 2nd October 2021, 09:51 AM   #7
P.J. Denyer
Philosopher

I can't =/= no one can

There's a lot of things I can't grasp but I don't assume my lack of understanding is universal.

"Nebulous means Nebulous" - Adam Hills
P.J. Denyer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd October 2021, 11:48 AM   #8
ynot
Philosopher

If there was an infinite amount of time in the past, then it would have taken infinite time for time to reach to our present moment. We would never meet the present moment. So, we can't postulate that there was an infinite amount of time before our present moment. But it's also hard to grasp that there was a fixed amount of time in our past and 'nothing before that'. How can we have an idea of what that means? We can't. Conclusion: not even a scientist can grasp 'time' and 'infinity'. Our minds can't grasp it. No math or science can discover this part of reality.
Well I guess that might explain why gods never turn up to meet the present moment.

It's almost like "infinite" is a purely abstract concept created by humans (like "gods").

But seriously (sorta), isn’t “infinite amount” an oxymoron? Please explain how infinite can be an amount . . .

To save the infinite vs eternal debate, let’s just say time/existence is eternal.

Or we could say eternity is the infinity of time/existence.

Last edited by ynot; 2nd October 2021 at 12:24 PM.
ynot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd October 2021, 11:54 AM   #9
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Is this to do with Zeno again?
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd October 2021, 01:04 PM   #10
Hlafordlaes
Disorder of Kilopi

Time is finite. For example, I do not have time for this. Case closed.
Old 2nd October 2021, 01:16 PM   #11
Steve
Penultimate Amazing

No one can grasp 'time'; Not even a scientist

Douglas Adams understood time perfectly well:

ďTime is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so.Ē
Old 2nd October 2021, 02:17 PM   #12
catsmate
No longer the 1

Originally Posted by sackett View Post
The Big Crunch of the previous universe.
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd October 2021, 02:55 PM   #13
Steve
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by catsmate View Post
The Big Crunch of the previous universe.
Did that occur in *time*?
Old 2nd October 2021, 03:03 PM   #14
ynot
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Steve View Post
Yes, unless time was "out to lunch"
ynot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd October 2021, 03:05 PM   #15
suren
Thinker

According to present scientific theories, time started when Big Bang happened. But as far as I know no major scientific theory prohibits infinite future.

Last edited by suren; 2nd October 2021 at 03:06 PM.
suren is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd October 2021, 03:16 PM   #16
ynot
Philosopher

Originally Posted by suren View Post
According to present scientific theories, time started when Big Bang happened. But as far as I know no major scientific theory prohibits infinite future.
How did Big Bang begin to happen before there was time, when the initial act of beginning requires time?

"The chicken and egg came simultaneously" isn't a valid answer.
Old 2nd October 2021, 03:19 PM   #17
Steve
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by ynot View Post
How did Big Bang begin to happen before there was time, when the initial act of beginning requires time?

Why does the initial act of beginning require time?
Old 2nd October 2021, 03:23 PM   #18
ynot
Philosopher

Why does the initial act of beginning require time?
To claim The Singularity changed it's state of existence (acted) in no time is to say it didn't do it. Doing is an act that takes time (doing time).

Last edited by ynot; 2nd October 2021 at 03:26 PM.
Old 2nd October 2021, 03:26 PM   #19
suren
Thinker

Time and space in relativity theory are tightly connected. That's why it's often called space-time. So "before Bing Bang" is probably a wrong question regardless of how counter intuitive this sounds. By "Big Bang happened" I meant time started with Big Bang.

Last edited by suren; 2nd October 2021 at 03:32 PM.
suren is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd October 2021, 03:30 PM   #20
Steve
Penultimate Amazing

To claim The Singularity changed it's state of existence (acted) in no time is to say it didn't do it. Doing is an act that takes time (doing time).
Did space also exist? Or did the universe change its state of existence nowhere? Seems that for consistency if time was required then space was equally required. Therefore no big bang because no state of existence was changed.
Old 2nd October 2021, 03:35 PM   #21
ynot
Philosopher

Originally Posted by suren View Post
Time and space in relativity theory are tightly connected. That's why it's often called space-time. So "before Bing Bang" is probably a wrong question regardless of how counter intuitive this sounds. By "Big Bang happened" I meant time started with Big Bang.
Yet the theory seems to have no problem with describing before Bing Bang as being a Singularity. My question is how to change from Singularity to Bing Bang in no time at all?

Last edited by ynot; 2nd October 2021 at 04:11 PM.
Old 2nd October 2021, 03:43 PM   #22
ynot
Philosopher

Did space also exist? Or did the universe change its state of existence nowhere? Seems that for consistency if time was required then space was equally required. Therefore no big bang because no state of existence was changed.
I'm not the one claiming things didn't exist before Big Bang, or even that there was or wasn't a Big Bang.

Did a Singularity exist before Big Bang? Please don't ask me to define "exist", you do that if you have a problem with the word.

To answer your question - My current "best guess" conclusion is that what exists now has existed eternally in some form or another. The state of existence is constantly changing so it would be no surprise to me if it was much different in the past, in fact it would be a surprise to me if it wasn't. I accept something from something, I don't accept something from nothing. I don't accept time began from no time. I don't accept that time is an actual, substantive thing. Time to me is merely a generic term we apply to actual, substantive things doing things compared to other actual, substantive things doing different things.

Last edited by ynot; 2nd October 2021 at 04:05 PM.
Old 2nd October 2021, 04:12 PM   #23
Kid Eager
Philosopher

Somebody got give The Beginner’s Book of Philosophy for their birthday. Happy Birthday. I look forward to additional threads articulating poorly understood concepts.
Old 2nd October 2021, 04:18 PM   #24
ynot
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Kid Eager View Post
Somebody got give The Beginnerís Book of Philosophy for their birthday. Happy Birthday. I look forward to additional threads articulating poorly understood concepts.
Ad hominin attacks the best argument you got?

Oh, how droll.
Old 2nd October 2021, 04:45 PM   #25
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

I'm not the one claiming things didn't exist before Big Bang, or even that there was or wasn't a Big Bang.

Did a Singularity exist before Big Bang? Please don't ask me to define "exist", you do that if you have a problem with the word.

To answer your question - My current "best guess" conclusion is that what exists now has existed eternally in some form or another. The state of existence is constantly changing so it would be no surprise to me if it was much different in the past, in fact it would be a surprise to me if it wasn't. I accept something from something, I don't accept something from nothing. I don't accept time began from no time. I don't accept that time is an actual, substantive thing. Time to me is merely a generic term we apply to actual, substantive things doing things compared to other actual, substantive things doing different things.
That's the thing. We don't know.

That doesn't mean you get to make stuff up.
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd October 2021, 04:51 PM   #26
ynot
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
That's the thing. We don't know.

That doesn't mean you get to make stuff up.
Rubbish! I get to make up as much stuff as I like, as long as I don't claim it's anything other than made-up "best guess" stuff.

I'm not claiming I know, but it seems some are claiming they do.

My point is it takes time for things to begin to happen. How could time begin to happen before there was time in which time could begin to happen?

Last edited by ynot; 2nd October 2021 at 04:58 PM.
Old 2nd October 2021, 05:30 PM   #27
Kid Eager
Philosopher

Ad hominin attacks the best argument you got?

Oh, how droll.
Droll indeed. You appear to believe that:
A. Iím making an argument, and
B. The post fulfills the definition of an ad-hom.
Old 2nd October 2021, 06:56 PM   #28
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Its a big ball of wibbly wobbly timey wimey... stuff.
Old 2nd October 2021, 06:58 PM   #29
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

The process and rules that we understand as time, that makes up a necessary part of our understanding of and interaction with the reality in which we find ourselves...

... The very rules that we use to exploit time and space tell us those rules break down under certain conditions. Those same rules tell us that those conditions very likely existed in the past from which this reality emerged.

Go back far enough, and things stop making sense according to the rules we have. That's where ynot finds himself.

Obviously something must have been going on before the big bang. We just have no idea what rules govern it, or whether it's even possible for things bound by the rules of spacetime as we understand them can ever make sense of it.
Old 2nd October 2021, 07:00 PM   #30
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised

Since nobody knows what time really is, we also don't know that the act of beginning requires time. Perhaps time is a product of the initial conditions and there was no "before."

I used to think that Republicans were just jerks. Now I'm convinced that they're all sick, evil, twisted pieces of [first of George Carlin's seven dirty words].

"Biden's a Commie, like the Rockefellers!" -- some idiot overheard
shemp is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd October 2021, 07:01 PM   #31
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised

No, it was actually ten minutes late.

I used to think that Republicans were just jerks. Now I'm convinced that they're all sick, evil, twisted pieces of [first of George Carlin's seven dirty words].

"Biden's a Commie, like the Rockefellers!" -- some idiot overheard
shemp is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd October 2021, 01:13 AM   #32
MaartenVergu
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Gord_in_Toronto View Post
Oo. Oo. Let me -- God!

And I'm still placing my money on the hare not the tortoise.
God? Who is talking about a God here? No one. Strange deduction.
MaartenVergu is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd October 2021, 01:14 AM   #33
MaartenVergu
Illuminator

Originally Posted by P.J. Denyer View Post
I can't =/= no one can

There's a lot of things I can't grasp but I don't assume my lack of understanding is universal.
So, you claim you understand all these things? You claim you grasp 'infinity' while it's mind-blowing for most of us? WOW. You must be a real genius.

Last edited by MaartenVergu; 3rd October 2021 at 01:19 AM.
Old 3rd October 2021, 01:29 AM   #34
erlando
Master Poster

What are you talking about? Again? I'm new here on the forum. What 'again'?
God? Who is talking about a God here? No one. Strange deduction.
What you fail to understand is that what might seem to you as a revalation is in no way unique. Your exact argument has been made a number of times on this forum and it almost always boils down to "god did it". So forum veterans are just jumping the gun.
Old 3rd October 2021, 01:29 AM   #35
Dave Rogers
Bandaged ice that stampedes inexpensively through a scribbled morning waving necessary ankles

So, you claim you understand all these things? You claim you grasp 'infinity' while it's mind-blowing for most of us? WOW. You must be a real genius.
So, you claim that if you don't currently understand anything, nobody can possibly understand it? That's rather arrogant of you.

Dave

- President Joseph R. Biden, January 20th, 2021
Dave Rogers is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd October 2021, 01:49 AM   #36
P.J. Denyer
Philosopher

No, I don't. But the point clearly went over your head.

"Nebulous means Nebulous" - Adam Hills
P.J. Denyer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd October 2021, 01:55 AM   #37
MaartenVergu
Illuminator

Originally Posted by erlando View Post
What you fail to understand is that what might seem to you as a revalation is in no way unique. Your exact argument has been made a number of times on this forum and it almost always boils down to "god did it". So forum veterans are just jumping the gun.
What you fail to understand is that it's not because other people made these 'exact arguments' and it boils down to 'god did it' that I'm like these other people. Non sequitur.
Old 3rd October 2021, 01:56 AM   #38
erlando
Master Poster

Conclusion: not even a scientist can grasp 'time' and 'infinity'. Our minds can't grasp it. No math or science can discover this part of reality.
Well, scientists tend to move past the awe phase and move right to the "We don't know but how can we find out"-phase.
Old 3rd October 2021, 01:57 AM   #39
erlando
Master Poster

What you fail to understand is that it's not because other people made these 'exact arguments' and it boils down to 'god did it' that I'm like these other people. Non sequitur.
That was not the point of my post.
Old 3rd October 2021, 01:58 AM   #40
MaartenVergu
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Dave Rogers View Post
So, you claim that if you don't currently understand anything, nobody can possibly understand it? That's rather arrogant of you.

Dave
It's the complete opposite of arrogance. It's recognizing that we all are small in relation to 'the universe' and its mysteries. And no. No God is mentioned here.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy