IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 13th October 2021, 03:17 PM   #161
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Foster Zygote View Post
That was probably a CVCC carburetor.

When I worked at a Honda dealer in 1990, we had a Prelude S on the lot. It was the last carbureted car Honda sold (in the U.S. anyway). I forget if it was an '89 or a '90.
Yes, 'twas a CVCC.

I think the Civic went to FI in '90, and I'd guess the Prelude did too. My mom had a '90 "lunchbox" wagon for a while, and it definitely had FI. Great little car until the tinworm ate it up.

Quand il dit "cuic" le moineau croit tout dire. (When he's tweeted the sparrow thinks he's said it all. (Jules Renard)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th October 2021, 05:15 PM   #162
Foster Zygote
Dental Floss Tycoon

Originally Posted by bruto View Post
Yes, 'twas a CVCC.

I think the Civic went to FI in '90, and I'd guess the Prelude did too. My mom had a '90 "lunchbox" wagon for a while, and it definitely had FI. Great little car until the tinworm ate it up.
Now that I think about it, the CVCC was in the valve head, not the carburetor. I had an '87 CRX with a 1.5 CVCC.
Counterbalance in the little town of Ridgeview, Ohio. Two people permanently enslaved by the tyranny of fear and superstitution, facing the future with a kind of helpless dread. Two others facing the future with confidence - having escaped one of the darker places of the Twilight Zone.
Foster Zygote is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th October 2021, 06:36 PM   #163
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Foster Zygote View Post
Now that I think about it, the CVCC was in the valve head, not the carburetor. I had an '87 CRX with a 1.5 CVCC.
Yes, the CVCC had extra little intake valves in the head, and that was what gave them that designation, but it was a design specifically geared to carburetion, and the need for that ended when they introduced fuel injection, so in a way you're both right and right.

Mitsubishi also had something similar to that, called "MCA Jet"). My first 1984 Colt Vista with a carburetor had it, but as I recall, the 87 with injection did not.

Quand il dit "cuic" le moineau croit tout dire. (When he's tweeted the sparrow thinks he's said it all. (Jules Renard)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th October 2021, 08:11 PM   #164
Foster Zygote
Dental Floss Tycoon

Originally Posted by bruto View Post
Yes, the CVCC had extra little intake valves in the head, and that was what gave them that designation, but it was a design specifically geared to carburetion, and the need for that ended when they introduced fuel injection, so in a way you're both right and right.

Mitsubishi also had something similar to that, called "MCA Jet"). My first 1984 Colt Vista with a carburetor had it, but as I recall, the 87 with injection did not.
Thinking back, I've only owned two carbureted cars - the '87 CRX and a '69 Triumph GT6 Mk. II (Twin Zenith Strombergs). I've driven plenty of others - '76 Caprice, '77 Grand Safari, '80 Grand Prix SJ, '84 Nissan Sentra (with 'DATSUN by NISSAN' badge) - but they all belonged to my parents.

My current '15 Honda Fit has direct injection. You can hear the injectors ticking like a diesel when it idles. It's just a little 1.5 liter L15B, but it's all singing and all dancing, making a respectable 130 bhp and 118 lbs of torque, with more mid-range than any small engine I've ever driven before. Coupled with the 6-speed manual it's actually quite sporty. If I could find the time to start autocrossing again, I think it would make a good track car.
Counterbalance in the little town of Ridgeview, Ohio. Two people permanently enslaved by the tyranny of fear and superstitution, facing the future with a kind of helpless dread. Two others facing the future with confidence - having escaped one of the darker places of the Twilight Zone.
Foster Zygote is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th October 2021, 10:16 PM   #165
HghrSymmetry
View clearer from above.

The Holley on the rod is originally an 0-1850. It worked with the mild motor, but need mods when I went to the larger cam.

Now with the stroker motor, it needed even more mods. The 7" of idle vacuum required changing of the power valve and drilling of the primary throttle plates (small 1/8" holes) to let in more idle air. Now the transfer slot exposure is back within correct settings.

For the pump shot, I put in a 50cc kit and a 40 squirter. Finally got rid of the off idle bog/dead spot.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology