IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Brexit

Old 21st October 2021, 02:28 AM   #2561
KDLarsen
Illuminator

Quote:
"The deal may boost New Zealand’s GDP by $970m or around 0.3%. However, last year’s analysis by the UK government found that its effect on Britain’s GDP would probably have “limited effect … in the long run” – being between a positive growth of 0.01% or negative growth of -0.01%."
The Brexit bonuses keeps rolling in...
KDLarsen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st October 2021, 03:00 AM   #2562
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by KDLarsen View Post
The Brexit bonuses keeps rolling in...
Although the impact on the economy is expected to be negligible, the likely impact on farmers - who were generally in favour of Brexit - is likely to be large and negative.

Hardest hit are likely to be hill farmers producing lamb.

It is however a potential step to being able to join the Comprehensive and Progressive Agreement for Trans-Pacific Partnership (CPTPP) because it makes so much sense to join a trading bloc on the other side of the world rather than on on your own doorstep.
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st October 2021, 03:15 AM   #2563
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

So the trade deal benefits New Zealand but the government's own figures show it will actually shrink the UK economy?

But somehow it's a triumph for Brexit?
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st October 2021, 03:23 AM   #2564
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

wrong thread
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st October 2021, 03:34 AM   #2565
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
So the trade deal benefits New Zealand but the government's own figures show it will actually shrink the UK economy?

Perhaps because it advances the UK's membership of a trading bloc on the other side of the world so even though this specific deal won't grow the UK economy and will hit the farming industry hard, there may be potential benefits years or decades down the line - you just have to believe hard enough.
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st October 2021, 04:06 AM   #2566
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

It will only potentially cost us negative growth of -0.01%, compared to the billions lost elsewhere that's a triumph!
Old 21st October 2021, 05:35 AM   #2567
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by erwinl View Post
I don't think they had misinterpretated the rules. These are very clear.
Anything entering after the 1 july date had to have VAT added.
The date of the start of the subscription has nothing to do with this. Or else people can take a say 50 years subscription and they would only have to pay VAT starting in 2071. Which is not reasonable.

What I think what happened is that subscriptions like 'Private Eye', knew about the rules and their impact, but banked on the misinterpretations by their subscribers and used that to nab a few extra subscriptions. Banking on a kind of FOMO, as it were.

Bit of a dick move by them, if you ask my opinion. And one where they would absolutely lose my subscription for ever if they would ever do a thing like that to me.
I think Private Eye did this in good faith and seem adamant it is the Tulli's (customs') fault. I sent the Tulli Private Eye's indignant response that they were 'fully IOSS compliant'. The official wrote back asking for the 'MRN' or the 'AVI' to prove it had been declared for customs clearance, which I forwarded to Private Eye and am just awaiting a response. Their printers are Pressdam, who do all of the distributing.

I also get a trade magazine from the UK as part of annual professional subs but I haven't been asked for VAT on that (yet: it only comes out quarterly).

I can't help wondering how Tulli knows that magazine is OK but Private Eye is not, out of all of the post that arrives daily.

vilken tröst, vad än som kommer på!
Vixen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st October 2021, 05:47 AM   #2568
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Lothian View Post
Vat is due on magazines sold in the EU. Businesses selling all over the EU can use a simplified system where they pay all the VAT for the EU in one state rather than in each separate one.
While we were in the EU Private Eye could pay all the vat on all its EU sales in the UK where conveniently the vat on magazines was 0%.

Now we have left either VAT is paid by the recipient in import at the appropriate rate for the country or Private Eye could readopt the simplified system but in another EU state, albeit most countries will charge VAT on magazines.

Where money is collected up front eg on a subscription that normally creates a tax point that sets the VAT rate, however that would only affect UK VAT. Once we left the EU things changed for EU recipients of goods from the UK and forestalling (paying in advance to take advantage of a law change) probably wouldn't save you a tax bill.
Thanks, that makes sense. However, for me it is the principle of it, so if it happens that VAT is being paid and declared by Pressdam (probably not) and being paid again by myself, it means someone has made an error. Tulli's view is that the customer should claim back the VAT from the seller. However, I can't be doing that every couple of weeks for such a trivial sum for the next two years. What makes it even more complicated is that the value of goods is banded, so it also falls in the category of 'less than €150'.

If British exporters are having to go through this level of paperwork in Europe a hundred thousandfold of this nonsense then I can see why they have been banging their heads in frustration.

Vixen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st October 2021, 05:54 AM   #2569
erwinl
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Vixen View Post
I think Private Eye did this in good faith and seem adamant it is the Tulli's (customs') fault. I sent the Tulli Private Eye's indignant response that they were 'fully IOSS compliant'. The official wrote back asking for the 'MRN' or the 'AVI' to prove it had been declared for customs clearance, which I forwarded to Private Eye and am just awaiting a response. Their printers are Pressdam, who do all of the distributing.

I also get a trade magazine from the UK as part of annual professional subs but I haven't been asked for VAT on that (yet: it only comes out quarterly).

I can't help wondering how Tulli knows that magazine is OK but Private Eye is not, out of all of the post that arrives daily.
Pressdram, to be exact.
As far as I can find out, Pressdram is the owner company of Private Eye. But as they don't seem to have any website of their own, other that that of Private Eye itself, it seems these are different companies only because of tax and/or liability reasons.
Old 21st October 2021, 05:58 AM   #2570
erwinl
Illuminator

Thanks, that makes sense. However, for me it is the principle of it, so if it happens that VAT is being paid and declared by Pressdam (probably not) and being paid again by myself, it means someone has made an error.
Could be. It is also possible, this is done on purpose.
Quote:
Tulli's view is that the customer should claim back the VAT from the seller. However, I can't be doing that every couple of weeks for such a trivial sum for the next two years.
On purpose for exactly this reason. There is some savings to be made here by a company.....
Quote:
What makes it even more complicated is that the value of goods is banded, so it also falls in the category of 'less than €150'.
... perhaps even specifically to stiff those evil EU subscribers (who knows, might even be true).
Quote:
If British exporters are having to go through this level of paperwork in Europe a hundred thousandfold of this nonsense then I can see why they have been banging their heads in frustration.
Well. This is what the Brexiteers wanted, didn't they?
Old 21st October 2021, 05:59 AM   #2571
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

The UK has agreed a free trade deal with New Zealand which it says will benefit consumers and businesses.

Prime Minister Boris Johnson said the deal will cut costs for exporters and open up New Zealand's job market to UK professionals.

The government hopes it is a step towards joining a trade club with the likes of Canada and Japan.
But the New Zealand deal itself is unlikely to boost UK growth, according to the government's own estimates.
Labour and the National Farmers Union (NFU) said that it could hurt UK farmers and lower food standards.
Overall, only a tiny proportion of UK trade is done with New Zealand, less than 0.2%.

Mr Johnson and New Zealand's Prime Minister, Jacinda Ardern, agreed the pact in a video call on Wednesday after 16 months of negotiations.
Tariffs will be removed on UK goods including clothing, ships and bulldozers, and on New Zealand goods including wine, honey and kiwi fruits.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-58988711
"The aukus squawkers caucus now has thwartus. But howzabout that, boys and girls, the Trusster does it again: a deal with the formidable girlyswot Thingybob Ardvakus. A Manuka bazooka, Kiwi lamb and Cat's Pee on a Gooseberry Bush Marlborough Sauvignon de Blanca coming your way gazsoonicus" ~ Downing Street Press Release

Old 22nd October 2021, 12:15 AM   #2572
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

New Zealand's going to be buying a lot of ships.
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd October 2021, 02:24 AM   #2573
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by erwinl View Post
Could be. It is also possible, this is done on purpose. On purpose for exactly this reason. There is some savings to be made here by a company..... ... perhaps even specifically to stiff those evil EU subscribers (who knows, might even be true).

Well. This is what the Brexiteers wanted, didn't they?
Somebody on Twitter is also complaining:

Quote:
Ben Stanley
@BDStanley
·
Sep 23
Anyone else living abroad and finding their copies of
@PrivateEyeNews
are getting a customs charge added to them? #GlobalBritain

Quote:
Ste JM Tram🛰Bird
@stejormur
·
Sep 23
Not in Germany. There's a customs declaration on the shipping label, but the magazine just arrives with my normal post (which is good, because Deutsche Post would charge a 6€ fee to process it if there was a customs charge)
https://twitter.com/BDStanley/status...492094977?s=20

Note: there seems to be a pre-printed customs declaration on mine.

Quote:
Ste JM Tram🛰Bird
@stejormur
Replying to
@stejormur

@BDStanley
and
@PrivateEyeNews
It looks like Private Eye actually already pays the EU VAT for you under the IOSS scheme and you're getting double charged. Not sure what you do about that though

Attached Images
File Type: jpg E_83Cq6WQAAyev0.jpg (109.4 KB, 7 views)

Old 23rd October 2021, 02:59 AM   #2574
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Note: there seems to be a pre-printed customs declaration on mine.
When I send products overseas the customs labels are printed by the courier website when I process the shipping.
I would expect them to be preprinted from any commercial shipper.
Old 23rd October 2021, 04:08 AM   #2575
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

When I send products overseas the customs labels are printed by the courier website when I process the shipping.
I would expect them to be preprinted from any commercial shipper.
Somebody has erred. I expect I am not the only person to have complained so it will be interesting to see how it sorts out. Still waiting for Pressdram to come back with their AVI or MRN reference as requested by Tulli.

ETA: the cover sheet of my copy looks the same (or similar) to the German tweeter who has had no problem. I'm guessing it is the Bureaucrats Syndrome, of assuming that anything that goes wrong must be 'user error' and not theirs.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg E_8124PXoAAhbeE.jpg (61.8 KB, 9 views)

Last edited by Vixen; 23rd October 2021 at 05:50 AM.
Old 23rd October 2021, 10:23 AM   #2576
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Today in Tesco, items very limited - of all things jam! Also bacon, plenty of bacon but very little variety with only half a shelf for the expensive - your pig was named Dave and had an outside life in meadows of daisies and cuddly toys - type.
Old 23rd October 2021, 10:41 AM   #2577
catsmate
No longer the 1

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
Today in Tesco, items very limited - of all things jam! Also bacon, plenty of bacon but very little variety with only half a shelf for the expensive - your pig was named Dave and had an outside life in meadows of daisies and cuddly toys - type.
My favourite vendor was out of the expensive mince pies
It's a disgrace, and I complained. Also none of the small glass bottles of Pellegrino that C likes. My goddess, what horrors will be inflicted on us next?
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd October 2021, 10:45 AM   #2578
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Funny to hear a pig farmer who voted Brexit discussing their problems saying “this is not the Brexit I voted for”, really wish the presenter had said “yes it is”.
Old 23rd October 2021, 11:45 AM   #2579
Carrot Flower King
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
Funny to hear a pig farmer who voted Brexit discussing their problems saying “this is not the Brexit I voted for”, really wish the presenter had said “yes it is”.
Yeahbut, pointing out that these things were likely to happen was Project Fear and all we had to do was Believe and Tinkerbelle would still be alive, riding around on a unicorn, distributing milk and honey.

Why, yes, I do live in a constituency which voted "leave" and is full of farmers...Including hill farmers of lamb who are about to be screwed over by the NZ trade deal (still, I should be able to get NZ sticky rieslings more easily, so that makes up for knackering chunks of the Northumberland economy, doesn't it?).
Carrot Flower King is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd October 2021, 12:15 PM   #2580
Wudang
BOFH

Originally Posted by Carrot Flower King View Post
Yeahbut, pointing out that these things were likely to happen was Project Fear and all we had to do was Believe and Tinkerbelle would still be alive, riding around on a unicorn, distributing milk and honey.
I had a couple of ex-colleagues tell me"we just all had to pull together". I replied that my experience of negotiating international trade treaties was limited so not sure how I could help. There were a lot more expletives in the original.
Old 23rd October 2021, 03:56 PM   #2581
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

I feel for you all, but it's not just Brexit. Shipping is screwed up all over. Most critical to me is that there's a shortage of cat food. You try explaining it to them!
Old 24th October 2021, 01:06 AM   #2582
Roger Ramjets
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Carrot Flower King View Post
hill farmers of lamb who are about to be screwed over by the NZ trade deal
A bit of karma for NZ being screwed over when Britain joined the EEC, no?
Old 24th October 2021, 04:51 AM   #2583
Garrison
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
I feel for you all, but it's not just Brexit. Shipping is screwed up all over. Most critical to me is that there's a shortage of cat food. You try explaining it to them!
Well when they start looking at you with that expression that says they are wondering how you would taste just run.
Old 24th October 2021, 04:53 AM   #2584
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by Garrison View Post
Well when they start looking at you with that expression that says they are wondering how you would taste just run.
You mean 5 minutes after they miss their first meal?
Old 25th October 2021, 02:57 AM   #2585
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

As Parody Boris proposing posted
I'm totally confident that what the British people wanted from Brexit was raw sewage to be dumped into our rivers
Old 25th October 2021, 03:02 AM   #2586
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

As Parody Boris proposing posted
I'm totally confident that what the British people wanted from Brexit was raw sewage to be dumped into our rivers
tbh the only way that Brexit could be made to work is to reduce standards (if anyone believed it when the Government said we wanted to raise standards is only fooling themselves) in a race to the bottom to allow companies to maximise profits at the expense of the public and the environment.
Old 25th October 2021, 04:09 AM   #2587
Carrot Flower King
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by The Don View Post
tbh the only way that Brexit could be made to work is to reduce standards (if anyone believed it when the Government said we wanted to raise standards is only fooling themselves) in a race to the bottom to allow companies to maximise profits at the expense of the public and the environment.
But that's all Project Fear and we'll really have The Best Standards In The World Because We Are British...Jacob Rees Mog told me, so it must be true - we were standing outside a bank in Dublin, where he'd just been to make sure all of his businesses were safely registered...
Carrot Flower King is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th October 2021, 04:27 AM   #2588
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

We've had a "legal" discharge from the sewage works up the road into the Thames about 10 days ago. Thankfully there is of course now no threat from those EU meddlers trying to stop us benefiting from good old English sewage!
Old 25th October 2021, 05:33 AM   #2589
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

On top of the sewage discharge story. Since Brexit the UK has changed regulations to allow untreated sewage to be spread on farmland as fertilizer.
Previously only treated sewage sludge was permitted.
If that wasn't bad enough (it should be but isnt) the UK Gov agreed to take 30,000 tonnes of sewage from the Netherlands and spread it on fields in England, which drain into local rivers + water sources.

In Europe it's illegal to dump untreated waste on fields.

Last edited by Captain_Swoop; 25th October 2021 at 05:35 AM.
Old 25th October 2021, 05:37 AM   #2590
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

On top of the sewage discharge story. Since Brexit the UK has changed regulations to allow untreated sewage to be spread on farmland
Previously only treated sewage sludge was permitted. It's a good organic fertilizer.
If that wasn't bad enough (it should be but isnt) the UK Gov agreed to take 30,000 tonnes of human waste from the Netherlands and spread it on fields in England, which drain into local rivers + water sources.

In Europe it's illegal to dump untreated waste on fields, not so here.
A key message from the Brexiteers was that we should leave the EU because we were figuratively sick of taking their ****

Now we have left, we are literally taking their ****
Old 25th October 2021, 05:40 AM   #2591
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

The Tories are literally making you eat **** as well as swim in it
Old 25th October 2021, 06:08 AM   #2592
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

The Tories are literally making you eat **** as well as swim in it
And yet the great British English public are lapping it up.

And economically ruinous Brexit, a pandemic responsible for 150,000 deaths, cronyism and corruption all exacerbated by their trademark incompetence, laziness and stupidity.

Makes you wonder what they'd have to do to actually lose their grip on power.
Old 25th October 2021, 07:30 AM   #2593
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

And yet the great British English public are lapping it up.

And economically ruinous Brexit, a pandemic responsible for 150,000 deaths, cronyism and corruption all exacerbated by their trademark incompetence, laziness and stupidity.

Makes you wonder what they'd have to do to actually lose their grip on power.
Change the party name to Labour?
Old 25th October 2021, 07:38 AM   #2594
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

My local MP covering himself in glory, as usual

Quote:
Sewage vote: Tory MP accuses activist of ‘spreading hatred’ & left with dirt on his face
https://www.thelondoneconomic.com/ne...w4s882og7oI5IQ

He is a deeply stupid and uninquisitive man who will simply do whatever the party leadership tells him - which makes it difficult for him to explain his actions.
Old 25th October 2021, 08:48 AM   #2595
GlennB
Loggerheaded, earth-vexing fustilarian

My local MP covering himself in glory, as usual

https://www.thelondoneconomic.com/ne...w4s882og7oI5IQ

He is a deeply stupid and uninquisitive man who will simply do whatever the party leadership tells him - which makes it difficult for him to explain his actions.
This is why we bought in Torfaen
Old 25th October 2021, 05:00 PM   #2596
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

From 7th January the UK will cease to recognise and allow import of mineral water from the EU and EEA. In order to promote Britain's clean, healthy and delicious natural mineral waters.

Notice of withdrawal of recognition for natural mineral water
Letters from the Rt Hon George Eustice giving notice that the recognition of established EEA and EU natural mineral waters will end on 7 January 2022.

Quote:
Dear Ms Gallina,
After the end of the transition period, Directive 2009/54/EC no longer applies to the United
Kingdom, with the exception of the United Kingdom in respect of Northern Ireland.
As you are aware, the UK Government legislated to roll over the recognition of all existing
recognised EU natural mineral waters after the end of the Transition Period for a period of
six months.
I am therefore serving you notice of cessation of accreditation of the established EU
recognised natural mineral waters which will cease in England from January 7 2022, in
accordance with The Natural Mineral Water, Spring Water and Bottled Water (England)
Regulations 2007, regulation 9A.
As a consequence, all natural mineral waters which obtained their recognition in or by an
EU member state will no longer be authorised for import into England as natural mineral
waters, unless they are recognised as such by a responsible authority of the United Kingdom
with the exception of Northern Ireland.
Those producers affected by these measures will be able to apply for recognition from today.
Further information can be found at our GOV.UK website1

I would be grateful if you could communicate this information to all EUMS. I will also write
separately to inform the Icelandic Food and Veterinary Authority and the Norwegian Food
Safety Authority.
Yours sincerely,
https://www.gov.uk/government/public...-mineral-water

Last edited by Captain_Swoop; 25th October 2021 at 05:02 PM.
Old 25th October 2021, 11:20 PM   #2597
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

I for one am looking forward to enjoying the mineral water/raw sewage cocktail which will be available.
Old 26th October 2021, 05:52 AM   #2598
Hellbound
Merchant of Doom

Location: Not in Hell, but I can see it from here on a clear day...
Brexit: Now What? Turning it up to 11

I for one am looking forward to enjoying the mineral water/raw sewage cocktail which will be available.

It’s organic, free-range water!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 26th October 2021, 06:18 AM   #2599
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Real Water
YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

Last edited by Captain_Swoop; 26th October 2021 at 06:20 AM.
Old 26th October 2021, 12:38 PM   #2600
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Ten months from sunlit uplands to UK exports plunged, prices rising, supermarket shelves emptying, food rotting in the fields, pigs being incinerated and England's rivers are flowing with sewage.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics