IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Coronavirus , Coronavirus conspiracies , diseases , medical conspiracies

Old 14th January 2022, 02:56 AM   #801
Tom Palven
Thinker

From Yale graduate and former NY Times reporter Alex Berenson:
https://alexberenson.substack.com/p/...4jZzOk5aXftig4
Tom Palven is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th January 2022, 03:07 AM   #802
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Originally Posted by Tom Palven View Post
Why would you believe an Ivy-league Elitist?

- Robert M. Pirsig
The Great Zaganza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th January 2022, 03:11 AM   #803
catsmate
No longer the 1

Originally Posted by welshdean View Post
You forgot the smilies mate. People might think that was a serious post.

ETA: 'visa v'? Is that a special kind of credit card?
I assume it's the semi-literate version of 'vis--vis'.
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th January 2022, 03:13 AM   #804
catsmate
No longer the 1

Originally Posted by porch View Post
I think those of us who are Intimate with Evil
And how have you become "Intimate with Evil? Succubus perhaps?

The depopulation Program is well underway

visa v

this bioweapon.

Meanwhile, the Adrenochrome Slurpers

Of course, only the dim and naive

It's their way of having a laugh. that's the way these sick ******* lizard operate.
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th January 2022, 03:15 AM   #805
catsmate
No longer the 1

I had fun doing the capitalizations, but it was hard for me to commit to the grammar and spelling.
It's a good 8.5/10. Needs more phlegm...

Originally Posted by Resume View Post
Visa v made the post for me.
Old 14th January 2022, 03:34 AM   #806
Tom Palven
Thinker

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
Why would you believe an Ivy-league Elitist?
Do you believe Tony Fauci?

He got his MD at Cornell.
Tom Palven is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th January 2022, 03:49 AM   #807
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

I was asking You:

- Robert M. Pirsig
The Great Zaganza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th January 2022, 04:21 AM   #808
Cosmic Yak
Illuminator

Location: Where there's never a road broader than the back of your hand.
I suggest you check the source of this data, namely this, which I copied from your link, and is the source of Berenson's claims about Canada:
https://www.alberta.ca/stats/covid-1...ccine-outcomes

Then tell us whether you think Berenson is correctly interpreting this data or not.

Honestly, this is so funny! Well, the numbers of Covid cases aren't funny at all, but the way the data COMPLETELY disproves both Berenson and Tom Palven is hilarious!
Old 14th January 2022, 05:04 AM   #809
W.D.Clinger
Illuminator

Alex Berenson writes fiction. His first novel, in 2006, won an Edgar.

Berenson is also known for his pandemic fiction.

An MD degree implies more relevant expertise than Berenson's bachelor's degree in history and economics.

Originally Posted by Cosmic Yak View Post
I suggest you check the source of this data, namely this, which I copied from your link, and is the source of Berenson's claims about Canada:
https://www.alberta.ca/stats/covid-1...ccine-outcomes

Then tell us whether you think Berenson is correctly interpreting this data or not.

Honestly, this is so funny! Well, the numbers of Covid cases aren't funny at all, but the way the data COMPLETELY disproves both Berenson and Tom Palven is hilarious!
ETA:
Tables 6, 8, 11 and Figures 10 and 11 are the easiest to interpret.

Last edited by W.D.Clinger; 14th January 2022 at 05:21 AM. Reason: added ETA
W.D.Clinger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th January 2022, 05:26 AM   #810
Steve
Penultimate Amazing

I believe know that Fauci's statements are correctly based on the best science available as provided by many experts in the forefront of related fields of medicine.

Why do you believe some blogger whose own sole opinion is evidence free and based on nothing but fantasy and desire to be seen as someone clever and/or important?
Old 14th January 2022, 06:26 AM   #811
Foster Zygote
Dental Floss Tycoon

Seems Berenson is full of **** in other areas as well.

"He authored the controversial 2019 book Tell Your Children: The Truth About Marijuana, Mental Illness and Violence that has been denounced as alarmist and inaccurate by many in the scientific and medical communities because of his claims that cannabis causes psychosis and violence; many scientists state that he is drawing inappropriate conclusions from the research, primarily by inferring causation from correlation, as well as cherry picking  data that fits his narrative, and falling victim to selection bias via his use of anecdotes to back up his assertions." - source
Counterbalance in the little town of Ridgeview, Ohio. Two people permanently enslaved by the tyranny of fear and superstitution, facing the future with a kind of helpless dread. Two others facing the future with confidence - having escaped one of the darker places of the Twilight Zone.

Last edited by Foster Zygote; 14th January 2022 at 06:43 AM.
Foster Zygote is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th January 2022, 06:31 AM   #812
Steve
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Foster Zygote View Post
Seems Berenson is full of **** in other areas as well.

"He authored the controversial 2019 book Tell Your Children: The Truth About Marijuana, Mental Illness and Violence that has been denounced as alarmist and inaccurate by many in the scientific and medical communities because of his claims that cannabis causes psychosis and violence; many scientists state that he is drawing inappropriate conclusions from the research, primarily by inferring causation from correlation, as well as cherry picking  data that fits his narrative, and falling victim to selection bias via his use of anecdotes to back up his assertions." - source
Makes him an ideal resource for Tom Palven then.
Old 14th January 2022, 06:42 AM   #813
Foster Zygote
Dental Floss Tycoon

Where he graduated first in his class.

By continuing to focus on Anthony Fauci, and ignore the fact that he's merely one among an overwhelming majority of infectious disease experts around the world saying the same things, you're just confirming that you'll feign ignorance of transparently obvious facts in order to avoid admitting that you are wrong, which, of course, also tells us that you know you are wrong.
Counterbalance in the little town of Ridgeview, Ohio. Two people permanently enslaved by the tyranny of fear and superstitution, facing the future with a kind of helpless dread. Two others facing the future with confidence - having escaped one of the darker places of the Twilight Zone.
Foster Zygote is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th January 2022, 06:45 AM   #814
Foster Zygote
Dental Floss Tycoon

Originally Posted by Steve View Post
Makes him an ideal resource for Tom Palven then.
He must've seen Reefer Madness and thought it was well researched.
Old 14th January 2022, 06:52 AM   #815
Steve
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Foster Zygote View Post
Where he graduated first in his class.

By continuing to focus on Anthony Fauci, and ignore the fact that he's merely one among an overwhelming majority of infectious disease experts around the world saying the same things, you're just confirming that you'll feign ignorance of transparently obvious facts in order to avoid admitting that you are wrong, which, of course, also tells us that you know you are wrong.
Many American anti-vaxxers have a serious problem with the concept that there is a rest of the world. Just another aspect of their lack of education coming to the fore.
Old 14th January 2022, 07:13 AM   #816
welshdean
Heb ei fai, heb ei eni

Violent pot-heads?????

It takes them 3hours to decide who's going to get the nibbles, they can barely get off the sofa!
"In science it often happens that scientists say, "You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken," and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion."
Carl Sagan 1934 - 1996 RIP
welshdean is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th January 2022, 08:01 AM   #817
Lithrael
Master Poster

I imagine you could get bad results from marijuana use if you work real hard at it. Like the old studies where they found out if you take a mentally troubled person, give him a megadose of LSD and leave him strapped to a table alone in a room for four hours, it exacerbates his mental troubles.
Lithrael is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th January 2022, 08:43 AM   #818
welshdean
Heb ei fai, heb ei eni

Originally Posted by Lithrael View Post
I imagine you could get bad results from marijuana use if you work real hard at it. Like the old studies where they found out if you take a mentally troubled person, give him a megadose of LSD and leave him strapped to a table alone in a room for four hours, it exacerbates his mental troubles.

I'd have had a go at that 30years ago.
Sounds like an afternoon well spent.
"In science it often happens that scientists say, "You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken," and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion."
welshdean is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th January 2022, 09:17 AM   #819
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

Disinformation from a disinformationist posted by a disinformationist.

Dr. Brytney Cobia
Resume is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th January 2022, 09:20 AM   #820
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

Do I believe a professional epidemiologist, one of a worldwide majority consensus concerning COVID, over a disinformationist?

Why, yes.

Dr. Brytney Cobia
Resume is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th January 2022, 09:42 AM   #821
Foster Zygote
Dental Floss Tycoon

Violent pot-heads?????

It takes them 3hours to decide who's going to get the nibbles, they can barely get off the sofa!
Man smokes joint, watches Firefly, eats bag of M&Ms. News at 11:00.
Old 14th January 2022, 10:20 AM   #822
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

Congratulations on finding an actual former reporter! Even though he's an abject crank, this is a step forward.
Old 14th January 2022, 11:20 AM   #823
Cosmic Yak
Illuminator

Alex Berenson:
"The pandemic's wrongest man."
https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/ar...st-man/618475/
Old 14th January 2022, 12:09 PM   #824
carlitos
"ms divertido"

Berenson wrote some espionage-type thrillers, page-turners that are adequate airplane reading. I had read a few of his paperbacks, and it was going in a little bit of a red-pilled direction as I recall. I won't be reading anything else that he writes, that's for sure.
carlitos is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th January 2022, 12:39 PM   #825
eerok
Quixoticist

Correlation doesn't prove causation. I guess Berenson didn't take a critical thinking course at Yale.

This article is just another disinfo crapstand.
Old 14th January 2022, 03:28 PM   #826
carlitos
"ms divertido"

silly appeals to false authority

Maybe let's not take advice on viruses from a guy with degrees in history and economics?

I mean, would we listen to "Yale Graduate, Harvard MBA and former President" George Bush about epidemiology? Or "Yale Graduate, Harvard Law JD" Ted Cruz? Or "kick-ass guitar player" Ted Nugent? Or whatever Robert Kennedy is?
carlitos is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th January 2022, 04:50 PM   #827
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

Originally Posted by carlitos View Post
Maybe let's not take advice on viruses from a guy with degrees in history and economics?

I mean, would we listen to "Yale Graduate, Harvard MBA and former President" George Bush about epidemiology? Or "Yale Graduate, Harvard Law JD" Ted Cruz? Or "kick-ass guitar player" Ted Nugent? Or whatever Robert Kennedy is?
You forgot that noted medical authority, Joe Rogan.

Dr. Brytney Cobia
Old 14th January 2022, 04:57 PM   #828
welshdean
Heb ei fai, heb ei eni

When are you going to answer the questions, politely put to you, and of which, you have been politely reminded about? Any one of them, two, if you'd indulge us.

Please, Tom?

[me and Foster, chilling on the sofa, waiting for an answer]

'Man, I don't think he's coming.'

'Don't worry dude, he promised he wouldn't tell any more lies, he'll come!'

'He didn't come, did he?]

Come on Tom, be a sport. Answer one or two of the questions posed in the last 20 posts and be honest, not to us, but to yourself.

Last edited by welshdean; 14th January 2022 at 04:59 PM. Reason: formatting
Old 14th January 2022, 05:05 PM   #829
Steve
Penultimate Amazing

When are you going to answer the questions, politely put to you, and of which, you have been politely reminded about? Any one of them, two, if you'd indulge us.

Please, Tom?

[me and Foster, chilling on the sofa, waiting for an answer]

'Man, I don't think he's coming.'

'Don't worry dude, he promised he wouldn't tell any more lies, he'll come!'

'He didn't come, did he?]

Come on Tom, be a sport. Answer one or two of the questions posed in the last 20 posts and be honest, not to us, but to yourself.
Tom has no answers of his own. If he cannot find an answer/response on one of his CT websites his only option is silence.
Old 14th January 2022, 05:15 PM   #830
Matthew Ellard
Illuminator

You are simply copying Ron Paul Institute propaganda here. Ron Paul claims Covid-19 is a hoax. Do you have a connection with Ron Paul?

Ron Paul : Twitter Permanently Bans Former NYT Journalist Alex Berenson
http://www.ronpaulinstitute.org/arch...alex-berenson/

Ron Paul was also banned from social media for spreading Covid-19 misinformation.
Matthew Ellard is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th January 2022, 05:51 PM   #831
eerok
Quixoticist

It's truly shocking to see Libertarians fail to grasp reality.
Old 14th January 2022, 06:02 PM   #832
Paul2
Philosopher

Originally Posted by eerok View Post
It's truly shocking to see Libertarians fail to grasp reality.
Totally. I once had a CTist refuse to accept 5th grade math, showing that more people hospitalized could be vaccinated than not, while at the same time vaccinations were effective at keeping people out of the hospital. The percentage of the vaccinated who were hospitalized compared to unvaccinated can be low, but if the number of vaccinated is high enough, most people hospitalized will be vaccinated. (I hope I got that right, Im a mere music major.)

It was nothing more than addition, subtraction, and percentages, and this person could not accept the conclusions based on mere math. Stunning.

Aristotle, so far as I know, was the first man to proclaim explicitly that man is a rational animal. His reason for this view was one which does not now seem very impressive: it was, that some people can do sums. - Bertrand Russell
Paul2 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th January 2022, 06:08 PM   #833
Steve
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Paul2 View Post
Totally. I once had a CTist refuse to accept 5th grade math, showing that more people hospitalized could be vaccinated than not, while at the same time vaccinations were effective at keeping people out of the hospital. The percentage of the vaccinated who were hospitalized compared to unvaccinated can be low, but if the number of vaccinated is high enough, most people hospitalized will be vaccinated. (I hope I got that right, Im a mere music major.)

It was nothing more than addition, subtraction, and percentages, and this person could not accept the conclusions based on mere math. Stunning.
Math/arithmetic is logical. The minds of CTists do not work on logic. The concept is quite beyond them.
Old 14th January 2022, 10:19 PM   #834
Cosmic Yak
Illuminator

I am skeptical about the Huffington Post assertion that Covid-19 or one of its alleged variants killed a snow leopard.

If I were really concerned about this, I would seek the opinion of someone who has credibility with me, like Kit Knightly.
Tom has no answers of his own. If he cannot find an answer/response on one of his CT websites his only option is silence.
It is ironic that Tom, like so many of his ilk, constantly urges us to 'think for ourselves', yet cannot voice an opinion that has not been spoon-fed to him by a conspiracy website.
The way he runs from questions and critiques is also telling. I guess the thinking is that, if you keep running and don't look back, you can fool yourself that you are winning the debate, and that your reasoning and evidence are sound.
Old 15th January 2022, 06:52 AM   #835
eerok
Quixoticist

Here's a good example of how the covid CTmongers fail.

Canadian COVID-19 vaccine study seized on by anti-vaxxers highlighting dangers of early research in pandemic (cbc.ca)
Quote:
A Canadian study that vastly underestimated the protection COVID-19 vaccines provide against the Omicron variant is being revised but not before it spread widely on social media by anti-vaxxers, academics and even the creators of the Russian Sputnik V vaccine.

The Ontario preprint study, which has not yet been peer reviewed, suggested that any three doses of mRNA COVID-19 vaccines were just 37 per cent effective against Omicron infection, while two doses actually showed negative protection.

The preprint has been shared on Twitter more than 15,000 times in the two weeks since it's been published, according to Altmetric, a company that tracks where published research is posted online. That's in the top five per cent of all research it's ever tracked.
First, it's a stupid conspiracy that contradicts itself by publishing papers that undermine its intentions in the first place, but this is what CTmongers would have us believe. They tell us that everyone is in on it, and yet any bit of data they can distort to support their nonsense must be the truth. So science is crooked as hell, they say, but wait, look at my misinterpretation of this paper that must be absolutely true.

In fact, science is a messy, awkward enterprise that's not perfect at every (or any) step. In the paper in question, the results made no sense, could not be corroborated, so they had to be reexamined, which is what the author proceeded to do. This is how science sometimes works.

It's common for nutbars to cherry pick abandoned remnants of the scientific process and pretend that they represent a viable "side" in a "science debate", but they merely prove that their nonsense is nonsensical.
Old 15th January 2022, 08:04 AM   #836
Chris_Halkides
Penultimate Amazing

in a crowded field

In April of this year The Atlantic dubbed Alex Berenson the pandemic's wrongest man (this link is an interview with Derek Thompson, the author of the article at The Atlantic). To be the wrongest man is an impressive accomplishment considering the competition.

Last edited by Chris_Halkides; 15th January 2022 at 09:44 AM.
Chris_Halkides is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th January 2022, 08:36 AM   #837
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Has anyone found out what was wrong with the DARPA covid thing by veritas yet?
BobTheCoward is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th January 2022, 08:38 AM   #838
Steve
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by BobTheCoward View Post
Has anyone found out what was wrong with the DARPA covid thing by veritas yet?
Perhaps you could be more specific. What "thing"?
Old 15th January 2022, 08:54 AM   #839
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Perhaps you could be more specific. What "thing"?
https://www.projectveritas.com/news/...stimony-under/

The veritas link doesn't do justice to the alleged USMC major's report which alleges a lot of stuff in the report.
BobTheCoward is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th January 2022, 09:06 AM   #840
Steve
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by BobTheCoward View Post
https://www.projectveritas.com/news/...stimony-under/

The veritas link doesn't do justice to the alleged USMC major's report which alleges a lot of stuff in the report.
Ah, you mean this group (from Wiki):

"The group produces deceptively edited videos[15] of its undercover operations,[7] which use secret recordings[7] in an effort to discredit mainstream media organizations and progressive groups.[21][22] Project Veritas also uses entrapment[14] to generate bad publicity for its targets,[4] and has propagated disinformation[3] and conspiracy theories[30] in its videos and operations."

I think the answer to your question is *everything*.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories