IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Computers and the Internet

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 25th January 2022, 12:24 PM   #641
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Dr. Keith View Post
To be fair, it should be named “20210101-20211231 Data”.
Originally Posted by Wudang View Post
Collation matters.
My first thought also. Obviously some coders here...
Old 25th January 2022, 12:39 PM   #642
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

To be fair, it should be named “20210101-20211231 Data”.
Not in this case. Everything's on a monthly cycle, so keeping the month first makes it easier to read when all the files are grouped together. Picking out the last four digits of a number is much harder than reading the first four.
Old 25th January 2022, 12:51 PM   #643
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
Not in this case. Everything's on a monthly cycle, so keeping the month first makes it easier to read when all the files are grouped together. Picking out the last four digits of a number is much harder than reading the first four.
General Rule meet Special Case. General Rule fought in the early tape versus plate wars, Ms Case. But he still can’t figure out how to tie his own shoes. (Audience laughter)

If I had a pet panda I would name it Snowflake.
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th January 2022, 02:10 PM   #644
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

"Yeah, so the changes we asked you for last week, that you spent two days making this week...we asked for the wrong thing. So could you change everything back, then make these other, different changes? Oh, and it's urgent."

On a Friday afternoon? Sure, I'll get right on that. I shall rush it with glacier swiftness.
Old 28th January 2022, 04:44 PM   #645
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

"Yeah, so the changes we asked you for last week, that you spent two days making this week...we asked for the wrong thing. So could you change everything back, then make these other, different changes? Oh, and it's urgent."

On a Friday afternoon? Sure, I'll get right on that. I shall rush it with glacier swiftness.
Yep, the "Just Before You Go" requests on a Friday afternoon are nasty. I've outlined my response previously: I'll stay and work on it only provided the requester stays with me to test it on completion of my work. If I'm losing home time, so are they...
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th January 2022, 06:13 PM   #646
BowlOfRed
Master Poster

We have a company-wide escalation term for "stuff is *broken*". All the way from the entire site is down to just some internal stuff that would make engineers unhappy.

If you want something to happen after 4pm on a Friday, you need to open one of these up. Otherwise, we know the risk of breaking something and having the folks who know enough to fix it not be available are too great. Come back on Monday and we'll try it.

Or tell us formally that stuff is broken (and fill out the forms afterward that ask why it got to this point in the first place and be prepared to talk about it next week in the manager review meeting) and we'll do it now.
BowlOfRed is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th January 2022, 06:27 PM   #647
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
Yep, the "Just Before You Go" requests on a Friday afternoon are nasty. I've outlined my response previously: I'll stay and work on it only provided the requester stays with me to test it on completion of my work. If I'm losing home time, so are they...
Oh, that's not necessary in this case; I have plenty of time to get onto it next week. Or I would, if there weren't going to be a sudden emergency that will take priority. It's amazing how often those crop up when I'm running low on damns to give.
Old 31st January 2022, 12:20 AM   #648
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena
Pronouns: he/him

I may have said this before, but here on the Service Desk we have an obligation to resolve 80% of incidents within 3 business days. If you log a job with us and then immediately go off on holiday for two weeks, we're going to try unsuccessfully calling you twice, then your incident will be closed.

It's even more satisfying for me personally if you mark that it is URGENT!!!
Old 31st January 2022, 07:12 AM   #649
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

"We need to have a meeting to discuss a new and very important metric we need that measures [highly complex thing]!"

...You mean [highly complex thing] like the one I've been doing and sending to you every month for the last 18 months?
Old 2nd February 2022, 05:29 PM   #650
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

"We need to have a meeting to discuss a new and very important metric we need that measures [highly complex thing]!"

...You mean [highly complex thing] like the one I've been doing and sending to you every month for the last 18 months?
It's still not telling them what they want to hear.
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd February 2022, 11:42 PM   #651
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

"Thanks for your help" she said to the agent who spent almost the entire phone call listening in silence while she resolved the problem herself.
Old 3rd February 2022, 03:06 AM   #652
jeremyp
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
"Thanks for your help" she said to the agent who spent almost the entire phone call listening in silence while she resolved the problem herself.
Don't knock it. Having somebody to talk to (at) often helps the thought processes find the answer.
jeremyp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd February 2022, 04:11 AM   #653
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by jeremyp View Post
Don't knock it. Having somebody to talk to (at) often helps the thought processes find the answer.
Yeah I've found that to be the case.
Old 3rd February 2022, 06:49 AM   #654
lauwersw
Thinker

There's an official term for that! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rubber_duck_debugging
lauwersw is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd February 2022, 09:24 AM   #655
zooterkin
Nitpicking dilettante
Administrator

Originally Posted by lauwersw View Post
There's an official term for that! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rubber_duck_debugging
I can remember my tutor at Poly saying that he could be replaced by a cardboard cutout for most debugging; that would have been 1978 or '79.
Join the JREF Folders ! Team 13232
Ezekiel 23:20
zooterkin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd February 2022, 11:33 AM   #656
BowlOfRed
Master Poster

Originally Posted by zooterkin View Post
I can remember my tutor at Poly saying that he could be replaced by a cardboard cutout for most debugging; that would have been 1978 or '79.
I didn't get so much Rubber Duck where someone was reasoning it out when I was on helpdesk as our theory that computers were cats and sensed fear and doubt. The helpdesk personnel were mainly there to subdue the computers.

Computers can tell when you know what's going on and they behave. When an expert is watching, they can't get away with mischief as often.

I think 75% of my helpdesk was similar to this:

"I can't print"
"Show me what you're doing"
"I open the chooser and select the printer here. Then I click print here. Then I change the feed type to 'duplex' and hit Print."
"That looks okay..."
"Hey! It's printing this time. But that's what I've done the other 3 times!"
BowlOfRed is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd February 2022, 11:55 AM   #657
a_unique_person

I tell users these are the best problems and not to be embarrassed. Case closed.
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd February 2022, 11:59 AM   #658
Wudang
BOFH

Heisenbugs. Their behaviour changes when observed.
Old 3rd February 2022, 12:33 PM   #659
BowlOfRed
Master Poster

Heisenbugs. Their behaviour changes when observed.
Not sure why, but we only used that term for code issues. Start up the debugger and the heisenbug waveform collapses into proper output.

User activity seemed different somehow. We also used the term "Consultant Hands" for when a system would only work if the consultant/expert was the one "driving".

"Why did it work when you did it?"
"Consultant Hands" (make "jazz-hands" motion)
Old 3rd February 2022, 05:51 PM   #660
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Originally Posted by lauwersw View Post
It's cool that there's a term for it, but that's not what she was doing. She was literally just following the instructions that we had already given her.
Old 3rd February 2022, 06:04 PM   #661
gnome
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by BowlOfRed View Post
I didn't get so much Rubber Duck where someone was reasoning it out when I was on helpdesk as our theory that computers were cats and sensed fear and doubt. The helpdesk personnel were mainly there to subdue the computers.

Computers can tell when you know what's going on and they behave. When an expert is watching, they can't get away with mischief as often.

I think 75% of my helpdesk was similar to this:

"I can't print"
"Show me what you're doing"
"I open the chooser and select the printer here. Then I click print here. Then I change the feed type to 'duplex' and hit Print."
"That looks okay..."
"Hey! It's printing this time. But that's what I've done the other 3 times!"
There's a related phenomenon, where they claim they routinely perform a completely impossible function, and just want you to make it work again.

gnome is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd February 2022, 06:08 PM   #662
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Originally Posted by gnome View Post
There's a related phenomenon, where they claim they routinely perform a completely impossible function, and just want you to make it work again.
Oh god yes. I had someone once get very angry because, apparently, he had been remotely accessing the departmental network for 5 years without a MFA token and now he was suddenly required to have one. I've been working here for close to 5 years now, and in all that time, no-one has been able to use RAS without a token.
Old 3rd February 2022, 06:11 PM   #663
gnome
Penultimate Amazing

My bane for today--an end user for reporting that wants to use "Region" to define something organizational (eg. "The West Team, the East Team") instead of geographic. I'd just say "whatever" and do as she likes, but outside of her domain the other entries on the report need to use actual location-based classification. It's no use asking her to use a different field for different kinds of information, Noooo she wants to make it so that when it's one of her entries it uses one standard, and when it's not another standard is used, with yet another standard needed for scenarios that don't fit neatly now that there are two schemes.

She's going to prevail because she's basically in charge of setting the report requirements, but the conversations around it are exhausting. Not the first time she's overcomplicated a field by insisting that it change definitions based on what data is being looked at.

Last edited by gnome; 3rd February 2022 at 06:14 PM.
gnome is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd February 2022, 06:14 PM   #664
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Fortunately, the charging one has been solved now that we've all standardized on mini-USB. Or is it micro-USB? ****.
Old 3rd February 2022, 06:21 PM   #665
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by gnome View Post
My bane for today--an end user for reporting that wants to use "Region" to define something organizational (eg. "The West Team, the East Team") instead of geographic. I'd just say "whatever" and do as she likes, but outside of her domain the other entries on the report need to use actual location-based classification. It's no use asking her to use a different field for different kinds of information, Noooo she wants to make it so that when it's one of her entries it uses one standard, and when it's not another standard is used, with yet another standard needed for scenarios that don't fit neatly now that there are two schemes.

She's going to prevail because she's basically in charge of setting the report requirements, but the conversations around it are exhausting. Not the first time she's overcomplicated a field by insisting that it change definitions based on what data is being looked at.
Heh. "Region" seems to be a management thing everywhere. I've had requests for reports from three different operational areas, each one wanting "region", and each one defining those regions differently. There is no "region" field in the database, only individual locations. Each of these three areas groups the locations together differently for their own purposes! It's madness.
Old 3rd February 2022, 07:24 PM   #666
JimOfAllTrades
Muse

Originally Posted by jeremyp View Post
Dear god, yes!

My partner and I did that all the time. He would come into my office, sit on the edge of my desk and start describing a problem he was working on. Sometimes he'd get far enough along for me to ask a question, sometimes not. At some point he'd suddenly describe the answer and go back to his office.

Two hours later I was sitting on the edge of his desk, etc., etc..
JimOfAllTrades is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th February 2022, 11:00 AM   #667
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Again I will present a ticket, as I have received it, with nothing added, nothing removed.

"We tripped the breaker from having our floor heaters on and it shut down the printer, now it has been rebooting for over 5 minutes and it says do not unplug"
Old 8th February 2022, 11:01 AM   #668
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Fortunately, the charging one has been solved now that we've all standardized on mini-USB. Or is it micro-USB? ****.
USB C seems to be the one more and more (I won't say "all" and I'm hesitant to say "most" but more and more) devices are defaulting to, at least here in the US.
Old 8th February 2022, 02:13 PM   #669
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Dear User: percentages are different from other numbers. You can't just take two percentages and math them to each other and produce a meaningful result.
Old 8th February 2022, 03:17 PM   #670
Blue Mountain
Resident Skeptical Hobbit

Dear User: percentages are different from other numbers. You can't just take two percentages and math them to each other and produce a meaningful result.
What's this "meaningful" you're referring to? I just want the numbers!
The social illusion reigns to-day upon all the heaped-up ruins of the past, and to it belongs the future. The masses have never thirsted after truth. They turn aside from evidence that is not to their taste, preferring to deify error, if error seduce them. Gustav Le Bon, The Crowd, 1895 (from the French)
Blue Mountain is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th February 2022, 03:21 PM   #671
Wudang
BOFH

Originally Posted by Blue Mountain View Post
What's this "meaningful" you're referring to? I just want the numbers!
Numbers have meanings now? Why do you geeks have to keep making stuff more complicated.?
Old 8th February 2022, 03:27 PM   #672
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

Technically, you can, under certain conditions.

E.g. Only 30% of Republicans support Trumpy, and of those, 99% are either morans or certified.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th February 2022, 04:48 PM   #673
a_unique_person

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
Again I will present a ticket, as I have received it, with nothing added, nothing removed.

"We tripped the breaker from having our floor heaters on and it shut down the printer, now it has been rebooting for over 5 minutes and it says do not unplug"
Floor heaters are the work of the devil.

One office I worked in, in one pod they had a floor heater pointing at the ceiling. I managed to control myself and not call them imbeciles.
Old 8th February 2022, 04:51 PM   #674
a_unique_person

https://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/standards.png

This one is good. Micro USB was too fragile. USB C doesn't have a "right way up". Also, the Commie EU forced Apple to join in with the USB C cable standard.

The micro, mini and usb A connectors will be dropped over time. Micro USB couldn't replace USB A because it didn't have the current capacity.

Last edited by a_unique_person; 8th February 2022 at 05:08 PM.
Old 8th February 2022, 06:20 PM   #675
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by a_unique_person View Post
This one is good. Micro USB was too fragile. USB C doesn't have a "right way up". Also, the Commie EU forced Apple to join in with the USB C cable standard.

The micro, mini and usb A connectors will be dropped over time. Micro USB couldn't replace USB A because it didn't have the current capacity.
Mini-USB was HUGE (i.e. 3x7mm) and good for thousands of connections.
Micro-USB was smaller (about half as thick) and good for more thousands.

But USB-C is thinner yet, reversible, and good for even more connections. Except on my phone, which will talk through its USB-C port only when it damn well feels like it.
Old 8th February 2022, 07:18 PM   #676
a_unique_person

The only drawback is it gets dust in there. Use a toothpick to clean it out
Old 8th February 2022, 10:36 PM   #677
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Originally Posted by JimOfAllTrades View Post
Dear god, yes!

My partner and I did that all the time. He would come into my office, sit on the edge of my desk and start describing a problem he was working on. Sometimes he'd get far enough along for me to ask a question, sometimes not. At some point he'd suddenly describe the answer and go back to his office.

Two hours later I was sitting on the edge of his desk, etc., etc..
The WFH version of this is to write an email to your boss/partner/subject matter expert describing the problem and asking what the next steps are. Half the time I delete those emails.

If I had a pet panda I would name it Snowflake.
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th February 2022, 12:29 AM   #678
Wudang
BOFH

The WFH version of this is to write an email to your boss/partner/subject matter expert describing the problem and asking what the next steps are. Half the time I delete those emails.
I have a little Groot head my wife gave me for that. It has the added advantage of having a bowl like space on top for odds and ends.
Old 9th February 2022, 02:17 AM   #679
catsmate
No longer the 1

I have a little Groot head my wife gave me for that. It has the added advantage of having a bowl like space on top for odds and ends.
I generally use the cat.
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th February 2022, 02:18 AM   #680
catsmate
No longer the 1

Originally Posted by a_unique_person View Post

Save the mini-A connection!!!
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Computers and the Internet