IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags !MOD BOX WARNING! , donald trump , mental illness issues , psychiatry incidents , psychiatry issues , Trump controversies

Old 7th September 2022, 04:37 PM   #2201
xjx388

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
I disagree 100%. It doesn't matter that she's family, or that she is involved in a lawsuit with him. She does not hide those facts. When she gives her opinions...not diagnosis... she supports them with evidence. There is no evidence that her opinions are incorrect as many mental health officials agree with her.

We will have to agree to disagree, as usual.
Old 7th September 2022, 07:03 PM   #2202
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by xjx388 View Post
We will have to agree to disagree, as usual.
I can agree to that.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th September 2022, 07:19 PM   #2203
xjx388

I can agree to that.

Yay! We agree on something!

To be fair, we also agree that Trump sucks, so there’s that.
Old 7th September 2022, 10:54 PM   #2204
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by xjx388 View Post
Yay! We agree on something!

To be fair, we also agree that Trump sucks, so there’s that.
True dat, true dat.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th September 2022, 04:42 AM   #2205
Mike!
Official Ponylandistanian National Treasure. Respect it!

Location: Ponylandistan! Where the bacon grows on trees! Can it get any better than that? I submit it can not!
So everyone agrees Trump is a mental menace and the argument arises when professionals make that assessment without some level of direct interactive contact with him?
Old 8th September 2022, 01:41 PM   #2206
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Mike! View Post
So everyone agrees Trump is a mental menace
Pretty much so except for the MAGA crowd. Although I'd use "off his ***** rocker".

Quote:
and the argument arises when professionals make that assessment without some level of direct interactive contact with him?
Yes.
Old 15th September 2022, 05:59 AM   #2207
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

https://www.theguardian.com/books/20...lasser-divider

Trump chief of staff used book on president’s mental health as White House guide
John Kelly secretly consulted The Dangerous Case of Donald Trump
If only it were all so simple! If only there were evil people somewhere insidiously committing evil deeds, and it were necessary only to separate them from the rest of us and destroy them. But the line dividing good and evil cuts through the heart of every human being. And who is willing to destroy a piece of his own heart?” Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn, The Gulag Archipelago
Darat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th September 2022, 11:10 AM   #2208
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Darat View Post

Trump chief of staff used book on president’s mental health as White House guide
I can see why.

The contributors to that book weren't wrong: Trump was and remains a danger to this country.
Old 15th September 2022, 06:45 PM   #2209
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Darat View Post

He probably wasn't the only person with a copy of the book. From your link:
Quote:
The authors report that Kelly’s view was shared by unnamed senior officials, quoting one as saying: “I think there’s something wrong with [Trump]. He doesn’t listen to anybody, and he feels like he shouldn’t. He just doesn’t care what other people say and think. I’ve never seen anything like it.”
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th September 2022, 09:51 AM   #2210
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

Two new interviews with Dr. Trump:
https://slate.com/news-and-politics/...-enablers.html
https://www.salon.com/2022/09/12/mar...tment_partner/
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th September 2022, 12:02 PM   #2211
ZiprHead
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post
I heard she's a Trekkie.

IIDB is back, baby!
ZiprHead is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th September 2022, 12:07 PM   #2212
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Interesting reads.
Old 19th September 2022, 01:18 PM   #2213
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

Trump openly embraces Qanon.
Quote:
On Tuesday, using his Truth Social platform, the Republican former president reposted an image of himself wearing a Q lapel pin overlaid with the words “The Storm is Coming." In QAnon lore, the “storm” refers to Trump's final victory, when supposedly he will regain power and his opponents will be tried, and potentially executed, on live television.
https://www.huffpost.com/entry/bc-us...b082746be99f3a

Quote:
Donald Trump made one of his highest-profile embraces to date of the extremist conspiracy group QAnon at a political rally in Ohio on Saturday, making the apparently deliberate choice to play music that is virtually indistinguishable from the cult organization’s adopted anthem.

Dozens of the former president’s supporters in Youngstown engaged in raised-arm salutes as Trump delivered a fiery address to the background of a song his team insisted was a royalty-free tune from the internet, but to many ears it was nearly identical to the 2020 instrumental track Wwg1wga.
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...deo-ohio-vance
Old 19th September 2022, 01:35 PM   #2214
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised

They've gone beyond saying the quiet part out loud, now they're just screaming it.

When Republican politicians were young, they were the kids who watched James Bond movies and said "I want to grow up to be just like [insert name of villain here]."
shemp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th September 2022, 04:21 PM   #2215
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Donald, Donald über alles, über alles in der Welt!

Last edited by Stacyhs; 19th September 2022 at 04:23 PM.
Old 19th September 2022, 10:13 PM   #2216
stanfr
Master Poster

If anybody needs proof that T is completely off the deep end--there it is!

and its not 'nearly identical'--the song played at Trump rallies (as the crowd holds up one finger) is IDENTICAL to the Qanon self-proclaimed theme song wws1wga by 'Richard Feelgood' I know cause I listened to both tunes on Youtube, and there is *zero* difference. You dont need to do a spectral analysis to figure that one out.

The only puzzle is why the original composer (?) of 'Mirrors'--the song the Trump team claims it actually is, has not sued Feelgood. There are several possible reasons, from the composer being the same, to the fact that the music is royalty free and so there is no financial incentive.

But wow, to blatantly play a well-known Qanon song and then claim it isn't--that is beyond bonkers.
stanfr is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th September 2022, 05:04 AM   #2217
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

I wonder why it took so long for Trump to publicly get behind the theory that he will be returned to power on a blaze of glory with his enemies being tried for crimes before being executed.

It’s clear he has fantasized about it since Nov 2020.
Old 22nd September 2022, 11:55 PM   #2218
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

Michael Cohen weighs in:
Quote:
"There's something very different about Donald Trump today than the Donald Trump I remember at the Trump Organization," Cohen said.

"I think cognitively there's something seriously going on. He's so worried about what's going on, not just in this case but in all of the cases, that I really do believe that cognitively there's something going on there because nobody, even Donald -- he's not stupid enough to believe that you can mentally declassify documents," Cohen explained.
https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/oth...6550aea82df59f

Cohen has known Trump for 16 years.
Old 6th November 2022, 08:36 AM   #2219
newyorkguy
Penultimate Amazing

This is from The Atlantic, published Friday. About the suspense over Brazil president Jair Bolsonaro's reaction to his narrow defeat in Brazil's national election the previous Sunday. Would he or wouldn't he (claim fraud and refuse to concede)?
Quote:
The suspense finally came to an end on Tuesday afternoon. Looking deflated, Bolsonaro appeared before the press at his official residence in Brasília...I’ve always played by the rules,” he said. “As president and as a citizen, I’ll continue to follow our constitution.” Within two minutes, the usually attention-hungry president was out of sight. Although Bolsonaro stopped short of conceding defeat or congratulating Lula, the implication was clear. Unlike Trump, he would not attempt to stay in power. His chief of staff soon confirmed that “President Bolsonaro has authorized me … to start the transition process.” The Atlantic link
My reaction was, this vividly illustrated one key difference between Bolsonaro and donald trump. trump is mentally ill and Bolsonaro is not. Bolsonaro is angry over his loss, wishes he won, feels so lousy to have lost, but it is what it is. trump's mental illness prevents him from connecting those dots. He just can't do it.
newyorkguy is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th November 2022, 06:34 PM   #2220
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by newyorkguy View Post
This is from The Atlantic, published Friday. About the suspense over Brazil president Jair Bolsonaro's reaction to his narrow defeat in Brazil's national election the previous Sunday. Would he or wouldn't he (claim fraud and refuse to concede)?

My reaction was, this vividly illustrated one key difference between Bolsonaro and donald trump. trump is mentally ill and Bolsonaro is not. Bolsonaro is angry over his loss, wishes he won, feels so lousy to have lost, but it is what it is. trump's mental illness prevents him from connecting those dots. He just can't do it.
I agree. Anyone who can't see that Trump is mentally ill is either stupid or willfully blind (which is just another degree of stupid).
Old 6th November 2022, 07:43 PM   #2221
newyorkguy
Penultimate Amazing

trump's continued blathering about the 2020 election having been stolen has really damaged our democracy. From CBS News:
Quote:
Over half of all Republican midterm candidates running for federal and statewide office have raised unfounded doubts about the validity or integrity of the 2020 election results, and according to CBS News' analysis, all of the states but two — Rhode Island and North Dakota — have a candidate on the the ballot who is an "election denier," that is, who denies the results of the 2020 election were valid. Among the 597 GOP candidates running for state or federal office this November, 308 have raised unfounded doubts about the results of the 2020 election. CBS News link

Calling into question the basic fairness of our elections is undermining American democracy in a way never seen before. This is all on trump. He just won't stop. He's had advisers, his attorney general, even some family members, tell him they don't see any evidence the election was "rigged." But trump keeps right on going. Can he not see the way he is damaging our democratic system? No he can't because, as we were warned 250 pages and upwards of 10,000 posts ago, he doesn't process things in a normal way. He's m-e-n-t-a-l-l-y i-l-l.

We're right back where we were when this thread began five and a half years ago:
Quote:
Donald Trump has a “dangerous mental illness” and is not fit to lead the US, a group of psychiatrists has warned during a conference at Yale University. Mental health experts claimed the President was “paranoid and delusional”, and said it was their “ethical responsibility” to warn the American public about the “dangers” Mr Trump’s psychological state poses to the country.
Now it's happening.
newyorkguy is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th November 2022, 12:17 AM   #2222
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by newyorkguy View Post
trump's continued blathering about the 2020 election having been stolen has really damaged our democracy. From CBS News:

Calling into question the basic fairness of our elections is undermining American democracy in a way never seen before. This is all on trump. He just won't stop. He's had advisers, his attorney general, even some family members, tell him they don't see any evidence the election was "rigged." But trump keeps right on going. Can he not see the way he is damaging our democratic system? No he can't because, as we were warned 250 pages and upwards of 10,000 posts ago, he doesn't process things in a normal way. He's m-e-n-t-a-l-l-y i-l-l.

We're right back where we were when this thread began five and a half years ago:

Now it's happening.
I think future history books will compare the Trump years (in and out of office) to the mass delusions and hysteria suffered in Salem and during the Witch Trials. It's just as crazy.
Old 7th November 2022, 07:43 AM   #2223
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

Most seem to agree that he's crazy, and to agree that he's dangerous. But we can't make the connection without a dot between the dots.

Maybe we can pride ourselves on being strict empiricists, and like Hume observe that when a fox chases a rabbit it does not cause it, but I wonder if perhaps we're missing something.

At some point, might it be possible that the isolated inctances we see now - flushing documents down the toilet, fake magazine covers, theft, riot, demanding that agencies cook up explicit lies, drawing childish fantasies on a weather map, windmill cancer, pussy-grabbing etc., etc., will coalesce at some later date? Might there come a time when, from the distance of history, we realize that it was a dot all along?

A pedant is a man who studies a vacuum through instruments that allow him to draw cross-sections of the details (John Ciardi)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th November 2022, 02:23 AM   #2224
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

There is more information available on Trump's long-term behaviors and thinking for psychiatrists to examine than they normally get from a person before they diagnose them.
Old 8th November 2022, 06:27 AM   #2225
Lurch
Master Poster

At this point, anyone who would claim that a psychiatrist can make no diagnosis of this most public figure unless sitting down in an in-person interview is willfully delusional.
Lurch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th November 2022, 09:25 AM   #2226
arayder
Illuminator

I have commented before that Trump is in a position, which he created, that denies him mentally healing interactions with others.

One case in point being that most folks, upon losing an election, have friends and family who help mollify the loss. Some leaders are so well liked and so deserving of respect that their opponents come by and thank them for their service!

They are told:

"The voters didn't see what a great guy you are, boss!"

"Hell, who needs the job anyway?"

"Go play golf. The job will take ten years off your life, anyway."

"Screw 'em. You're still one hell of a good man!"

"In a year they'll wish they had you back!"

My sense is that Trump never got any of this sort of thing after the election. . .and rarely got such in his younger years!

He can't be mentally healthy. He may not be "clinical", but he still ain't right in the head.
arayder is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th November 2022, 07:45 PM   #2227
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by arayder View Post
I have commented before that Trump is in a position, which he created, that denies him mentally healing interactions with others.

One case in point being that most folks, upon losing an election, have friends and family who help mollify the loss. Some leaders are so well liked and so deserving of respect that their opponents come by and thank them for their service!

They are told:

"The voters didn't see what a great guy you are, boss!"

"Hell, who needs the job anyway?"

"Go play golf. The job will take ten years off your life, anyway."

"Screw 'em. You're still one hell of a good man!"

"In a year they'll wish they had you back!"

My sense is that Trump never got any of this sort of thing after the election. . .and rarely got such in his younger years!

He can't be mentally healthy. He may not be "clinical", but he still ain't right in the head.
Oh, he's clinical. WAY clinical.
Old 9th November 2022, 10:52 AM   #2228
arayder
Illuminator

Oh, he's clinical. WAY clinical.
Let's see if he starts yelling "vote fraud".
arayder is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th November 2022, 11:13 AM   #2229
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

Some time back, North Korea released a story that Kim Jong-il scored an 18 on his first outing on a golf course.

I wonder what would have happened if North Korea’s lunatic told America’s lunatic “the first time I played golf I scored 18. Yep eighteen holes-in-one.”
Old 9th November 2022, 11:18 AM   #2230
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by Ladewig View Post
Some time back, North Korea released a story that Kim Jong-il scored an 18 on his first outing on a golf course.

I wonder what would have happened if North Korea’s lunatic told America’s lunatic “the first time I played golf I scored 18. Yep eighteen holes-in-one.”
Trump did it in 17!
If only it were all so simple! If only there were evil people somewhere insidiously committing evil deeds, and it were necessary only to separate them from the rest of us and destroy them. But the line dividing good and evil cuts through the heart of every human being. And who is willing to destroy a piece of his own heart?” Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn, The Gulag Archipelago
Darat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th November 2022, 05:31 PM   #2231
arayder
Illuminator

True to form DJT is claiming that voting machines in predominately conservative areas of Arizona where not working properly.
Old 9th November 2022, 11:27 PM   #2232
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

We had a report he is blaming and screeching at Melania for recommending Oz as a "Trump endorsement".
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th November 2022, 04:55 AM   #2233
arayder
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
We had a report he is blaming and screeching at Melania for recommending Oz as a "Trump endorsement".
I suspect that as the media continues to editorialize heaping blame on DJT for the GOP's embarrassing under performance in the midterm elections the former guy will only get more vocal and more surly.

The next step in his plan was to announce his candidacy for 2024 on November 15th. Many around him are said to be urging him to reschedule the announcement. You have to figure he was hoping to follow up a red wave with a triumphant announcement that he's coming back with a vengeance.

God laughs at our plans, Donny.
Old 10th November 2022, 05:20 AM   #2234
newyorkguy
Penultimate Amazing

In a Firing Line interview I recently watched, Times reporter Maggie Haberman -- the author of "Confidence Man: The Making of Donald Trump and the Breaking of America" -- said that trump is incapable of taking responsibility for anything and will not accept blame. If it works he takes the credit. If it fails it was somebody else. I really believe it is evidence of his illness.
Quote:
“Trump is indeed furious this morning, particularly about Mehmet Oz, and is blaming everyone who advised him to back Oz, including his wife, describing it as not her best decision, according to people close to him,” Maggie Haberman of The New York Times tweeted on Wednesday morning. Yahoo News link
Old 10th November 2022, 10:09 AM   #2235
arayder
Illuminator

I think Trump, as far as his popularity goes, is going to end up like Father Coughlin*. One day everybody loves him, but it eventually his shtick gets old and nobody much cares. In Coughlin's case it took almost a decade before everyone had enough.

The difference may be that Couglin didn't, as near as I can tell, go bat shirt crazy.

I think Trump is sliding into a state of narcissistic shock (compounded by senility) from which he will be saved only by a "choke-and-stoke" on a Big Mac.

*https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Coughlin
Old 10th November 2022, 09:38 PM   #2236
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

I suspect that as the media continues to editorialize heaping blame on DJT for the GOP's embarrassing under performance in the midterm elections the former guy will only get more vocal and more surly.

The next step in his plan was to announce his candidacy for 2024 on November 15th. Many around him are said to be urging him to reschedule the announcement. You have to figure he was hoping to follow up a red wave with a triumphant announcement that he's coming back with a vengeance.

God laughs at our plans, Donny.
But was he?
All I heard was “I’m going to make a very important announcement on Nov 15.”

He pulls that **** all the time. For all we know, his announcement was going to be “I’m going to announce my decision on January 16,” or “I’m going to write a book about how much I hate socialism.”

Two words: attention whore.
Old 11th November 2022, 01:50 AM   #2237
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

I think Trump, as far as his popularity goes, is going to end up like Father Coughlin*. One day everybody loves him, but it eventually his shtick gets old and nobody much cares. In Coughlin's case it took almost a decade before everyone had enough.

The difference may be that Couglin didn't, as near as I can tell, go bat shirt crazy.

I think Trump is sliding into a state of narcissistic shock (compounded by senility) from which he will be saved only by a "choke-and-stoke" on a Big Mac.

*https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Coughlin
Yep, people are sick of the Big Lie nonsense. The repudiation of so many election deniers this election shows that. By 2024, he'll be a broken record that nobody listens to anymore except the truly whacko Trump rally cultists.
Old 4th January 2023, 10:07 AM   #2238
Gord_in_Toronto
Penultimate Amazing

How big a hole can this ******* dig?

Trump’s offensive against Ruby Freeman reaches an ugly new level

She has already sued OAN Network and the suit was settled in her favour.

OAN dismissed from election workers’ suit after settlement

If she sues T, there is no way she cannot win.

However, the personal cost to her emotionally must be horrible.
Old 4th January 2023, 01:40 PM   #2239
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

Occam called: The simplest explanation is probably the best. Trump has senile dementia. He forgets stuff he has been told thousands of times. He re-imagines stuff that never existed. He blurts out ill-thought-out comments at inappropriate times. He forgets who he is with and where he is...

He is becoming Grandpa Simpson.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th January 2023, 02:26 PM   #2240
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Gord_in_Toronto View Post
How big a hole can this ******* dig?

Trump’s offensive against Ruby Freeman reaches an ugly new level

She has already sued OAN Network and the suit was settled in her favour.

OAN dismissed from election workers’ suit after settlement

If she sues T, there is no way she cannot win.

However, the personal cost to her emotionally must be horrible.
Rudy Freeman needs to sue Trump for malicious libel. She'd win.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics