ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » Welcome to ISF » Skeptical Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags party , newtonmas , massachusetts

Old 12th October 2006, 05:54 PM   #1
SkepticScott
TAM Volunteer Guy

Newtonmas Party in Massachusetts, 9 December 2006

Hi everyone,
I'll be hosting a Newtonmas* potluck get-together at my house on Saturday, 9 December. Festvities will start at about 11 a.m., or whenever people arrive. I will provide sodas and some food but please BYOB. There will be a Yankee Swap, like at Kittynh's last year, and Kittynh will be bringing a Slyviata that we will demolish.

A full plan is TBD, so I started this thread to determine the full plan. So you'd better start determining! So far, we will have:

Live Entertainment! If and only if Kittynh brings Dingo the World's Cutest Dog or Supercorgi brings Louie the Supercorgi. Kittynh's Theodate the Wonder Cat will continue to be invisible and undetectable. In case no pets attend, I will demonstrate my Magic Finger Chopper on unwilling 'volunteers'.

Intelligent Conversation! Your brain will be nourished by the high-quality discussion permeating the house. To misquote Vizzini, "Have you ever heard of Plato, Aristotle, Socrates? They'd beg to be able to attend this event!".

Potluck! Please bring a potluck dish to share.

Contrary to discussions elsewhere, we will not be experimenting to see what effect using bats, axes, guns, and implements of destruction to demolish a pinata indoors will have on the interior of my house.

My house is conveniently located near Lowell, Mass., near routes 3 and 495, and the MBTA Commuter Rail. Pets and children are welcome.
"Guests are reminded that platform one forbids the use of weapons, teleportation and religion."

* Sir Isaac Newton was born on 25 December. Some people claim some other figure shares Newton's birthday. We're celebrating the birthday of the more important of the two -- Newton!
Old 12th October 2006, 06:00 PM   #2
kittynh
Penultimate Amazing

Yeah!!!

I will be starting construction of the Sylvia Pinata soon!

It's up to the brilliant minds here to figure out how she will be demolished!

Bring a skeptic themed gift, which includes funny woo stuff is you wish.

Scott, thanks for holding this event. Not to be missed as even Atheists and Agnostics (and the lone Xian) need a winter event all their own.
kittynh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th October 2006, 02:07 PM   #3
mumchup
Graduate Poster

I've never celebrated Newtonmas before, I think it's time I did; and I'll bring the Steve. But only if Kitty promises to bring along Pool Boy so he'll have someone to relate to. They can hang out in the corner w/ the laptop and talk about race cars and the Navy or whatever.
If no dogs are able to make it, I could bring along Moranda (aka Morandypants) the fat chihuahua. She LOVES EVERYBODY... please rub her tummy, she's like an enthusiastic little Buddha...
mumchup is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th October 2006, 04:53 PM   #4
kittynh
Penultimate Amazing

ohhh, Dingo likes little dogs. And he's a sucker for female dogs...he LOVES the ladies (only he really can't, but he's clueless)
kittynh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th October 2006, 05:01 PM   #5
mumchup
Graduate Poster

This is the Little Piggy, whe has the ability to make people think they are special.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg LittlePiggy.jpg (12.4 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg LittlePiggy2.jpg (13.0 KB, 2 views)
mumchup is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th October 2006, 09:24 PM   #6
Geek Goddess
Hot enough to melt 4" rebar

Originally Posted by mumchup View Post
This is the Little Piggy, whe has the ability to make people think they are special.
Ooh, a rat with a collar!

I have real dogs - Golden Retrievers

Jenny McCarthy - wacko
Geek Goddess is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th October 2006, 10:49 PM   #7
mumchup
Graduate Poster

She's a rat alright. But they never wear collars. The run around all naked.
Old 15th October 2006, 12:12 PM   #8
supercorgi
Dog Everlasting

Arrggghhh! Why do you people always schedule things opposite other activities I have!? I don't have a very active life, but you guys have a definate knack for conflicting with my limited social life. Oh well, I'll see what I can do. Maybe I'll blow off the other event. Supercorgi would like to come (he'll demolish the pinata if no one else wants to - just think, Sylvia torn apart by wild dogs! What better way to do her in? )

supercorgi is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th October 2006, 01:07 PM   #9
SkepticScott
TAM Volunteer Guy

Originally Posted by supercorgi View Post
Sylvia torn apart by wild dogs!
That's an image I would love to have seared into my brain.
Old 15th October 2006, 07:01 PM   #10
kittynh
Penultimate Amazing

look, we'll pick up Louie so at least he doesn't miss the party!

Or this means you have to have something at your place!
Old 19th October 2006, 09:57 AM   #11
elaine
Killer Squirrel Killer

Do you mind if other groups "borrow" your Newtonmas idea?
elaine is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th October 2006, 10:02 AM   #12
SkepticScott
TAM Volunteer Guy

Originally Posted by elaine View Post
Do you mind if other groups "borrow" your Newtonmas idea?
Elaine,
It's not my idea. I got the idea of Newtonmas from the atheist community. The only part that I added was the idea of having it at my house. You can't have your party at SkepticScott's house, but everything else is fair game!
Old 19th October 2006, 11:00 AM   #13
elaine
Killer Squirrel Killer

Cool....I didn't want to be stepping on any toes.

Thanks to greyman for paying more attention to these threads than I am. First I've heard of Newtonmas.
elaine is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th October 2006, 11:20 AM   #14
kittynh
Penultimate Amazing

it's really fun!!!

Last year a real XIAN held it, and oddly has not yet been struck by ligthening!
Old 20th October 2006, 08:34 AM   #15
crackers
Muse

Originally Posted by SkepticScott View Post
Elaine,
... You can't have your party at SkepticScott's house...
Well, that's a very selfish attitude.
crackers is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th October 2006, 08:49 AM   #16
SkepticScott
TAM Volunteer Guy

LOL! I suppose it is. Shame on me.
Old 20th October 2006, 08:55 AM   #17
sphenisc
Illuminator

Originally Posted by kittynh View Post
it's really fun!!!

Last year a real XIAN held it, and oddly has not yet been struck by ligthening!
God's saving that the Franklinmas party.
sphenisc is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th October 2006, 08:56 AM   #18
Beady
Philosopher

Finally! An event on a Saturday!

Thank you, God!
Old 20th October 2006, 09:00 AM   #19
SkepticScott
TAM Volunteer Guy

Originally Posted by Beady View Post
Finally! An event on a Saturday!

Thank you, God!
You're assuming that you're invited.

No, of course you two are invited.
Old 20th October 2006, 09:04 AM   #20
Beady
Philosopher

You're assuming that you're invited.

No, of course you two are invited.
Two? Oh. Her.

And hey, it's free food and booze! You think I'd miss out?
Old 20th October 2006, 07:41 PM   #21
kittynh
Penultimate Amazing

Look, we won't let you in without Mrs.Beady.

Bring a Yankee Swap gift (or 2).
Old 21st October 2006, 12:52 AM   #22
Beady
Philosopher

Look, we won't let you in without Mrs.Beady.
You like her better than me!

Quote:
Bring a Yankee Swap gift (or 2).
No prob, still got a couple left from the party at Larry's.

And I've even got a lump of coal for Scott.
Old 21st October 2006, 05:16 AM   #23
SkepticScott
TAM Volunteer Guy

Originally Posted by Beady View Post
And I've even got a lump of coal for Scott.
Coal, from a pirate? At least he's not going to try to keel-haul me.
Old 21st October 2006, 07:22 AM   #24
Beady
Philosopher

Coal, from a pirate? At least he's not going to try to keel-haul me.
You're not my type, you naughty little boy.
Old 21st October 2006, 12:26 PM   #25
Jorghnassen
Illuminator

* Sir Isaac Newton was born on 25 December.
False.*

Quote:
Some people claim some other figure shares Newton's birthday.
If that figure is supposed to be Jesus, it is also very likely to be false. And those who do claim Jesus was born on December 25 didn't study their Bible properly...

*For one thing, those silly Brits didn't adjust their calendars along with the rest of civilization.
Old 21st October 2006, 04:27 PM   #26
kittynh
Penultimate Amazing

my mom was born on Dec.25, and as a child she was very upset about it.

At least she didn't suffer the fate of most girls born on that date and end up with the name "Noel" or "Holly". A lot of woman named "Holly" were born on that day.
Old 22nd October 2006, 12:38 AM   #27
grayman
Happy-go-lucky Heretic

my mom was born on Dec.25, and as a child she was very upset about it.

At least she didn't suffer the fate of most girls born on that date and end up with the name "Noel" or "Holly". A lot of woman named "Holly" were born on that day.
Evidence?

All great truths begin as blasphemies. - George Bernard Shaw

God is evil. As soon as you accept that, it all makes sense. - Sledge
grayman is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd October 2006, 12:09 PM   #28
Jorghnassen
Illuminator

Originally Posted by grayman View Post
Evidence?
Hey, as long as there's some excuse to have a celebration on December 25th, who cares who was really born on that day or not?

/though I like all the Jesus stuff myself. Newton's just not messianic enough for a party.
Old 22nd October 2006, 12:12 PM   #29
kittynh
Penultimate Amazing

well "a lot" is just kind of an estimate.
Old 23rd October 2006, 01:35 PM   #30
kittynh
Penultimate Amazing

NEWS FLASH!!!
Ed the Goatherd, is sending presents for NEWTONMAS!!!
Yeah!!

We have all been good little skeptics (even the Xians) and Ed the Goatherd has PMd me that he is sending on special gifts for his chosen skepdudes and skepchicks.

I'm serious! Goodies are coming my way, and after I pick through and take out what I want, the leftovers are for other attendees. Oh alright, it's not nice to fool Ed the Goatherd, so I will be a very good skepchick and dole out the gifts!!!

Ed the Goatherd posts on this forum under another name (sounds like Badgerrrr) so I'll just leave you to guess his secret identity!!!

THANKS ED THE GOATHERD!!!!
Old 23rd October 2006, 01:36 PM   #31
kittynh
Penultimate Amazing

You know, baby Jesus just got those shepherds and what kind of gifts did he get from them?

Ed the Goatherd is way better at gift giving I bet!!!
Old 23rd October 2006, 02:01 PM   #32
SkepticScott
TAM Volunteer Guy

Ed the Goatherd posts on this forum under another name (sounds like Badgerrrr) so I'll just leave you to guess his secret identity!!!
He isn't a "businessman" with a "might fine hat" on Persephone, or have I got the Forum confused with "Firefly" again.
Old 23rd October 2006, 02:50 PM   #33
grayman
Happy-go-lucky Heretic

Ed the Goatherd is way better at gift giving I bet!!!

I'll take that as a challenge.

Some sort of gift will make it to the New England party, just what, I'm not sure...

grayman is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd October 2006, 02:53 PM   #34
kittynh
Penultimate Amazing

Yeah! I have been a very good little skepchick. really. Hardly prayed at all.

totally ignored a 4 leaf clover.

didn't cross my fingers once all year!
Old 23rd October 2006, 03:04 PM   #35
grayman
Happy-go-lucky Heretic

Yeah! I have been a very good little skepchick. really. Hardly prayed at all.

totally ignored a 4 leaf clover.

didn't cross my fingers once all year!
Yes, but you tried on poolboy's "special" gloves witout permission. We'll have to have a review of your actions.

Old 26th November 2006, 07:51 PM   #36
SkepticScott
TAM Volunteer Guy

Bump
Old 26th November 2006, 07:59 PM   #37
Boo
Illuminator

Unfortunately I will not be able to make it. Baby Boo, my oldest daughter is having surgery on her shoulder the day before.

Hugs to everyone.

Boo
Boo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th November 2006, 08:10 PM   #38
kittynh
Penultimate Amazing

we will send baby boo our best wishes!
Old 26th November 2006, 08:17 PM   #39
SkepticScott
TAM Volunteer Guy

Originally Posted by Boo View Post
Unfortunately I will not be able to make it. Baby Boo, my oldest daughter is having surgery on her shoulder the day before.
Drat. I hope it goes well. We could call you during the party to wish her "Get Well Soon!"
Old 27th November 2006, 04:45 AM   #40
SkepticScott
TAM Volunteer Guy

The attendees so far are:

SkepticScott (host)
KittyNH (bringer of the Slyviata, and possibly with Pool Boy and Dingo)
Mumchup (possibly with Steve and Morana the fat chihuahua)
Beady and Mrs. Beady

Forumites in the area who have Not Yet Replied
Kitten
Kitten2
Rebecca
Paul C. Anagnostopoulos
Larry Barrieau
Mercutio
Mattfn
Jeff Wagg
Hamradioguy
YoPopa

Forumites who can't attend in person but will be Telephoned During The Party
Boo

Please post here or PM me if you're going to attend and I don't have you listed as an attendee.

International Skeptics Forum » Welcome to ISF » Skeptical Events