ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags sylvia browne

Old 21st March 2007, 07:27 PM   #1
Questioninggeller
Illuminator

Browne wrong again and police waste time: Renquin, Nelson, and DesVergnes

Quote:
The Associated Press State & Local Wire
April 10, 1999, Saturday, AM cycle
LENGTH: 657 words
HEADLINE: Six months later, still no trace of missing Attleboro men
BYLINE: ALISON FITZGERALD, Associated Press Writer
DATELINE: BOSTON

BODY:
It's been six months since Pat Renquin's son, Scott, disappeared without a trace.

And now the 61-year-old mother, who is struggling to come to terms with the idea that she may never know what happened to her son and his friends, is forced to turn her attention to the details.
Scott Renquin, 35, and his friends Roger DesVergnes, 31, and Dan Nelson, 32, haven't been seen since Sept. 28. The Attleboro men vanished while in Orlando, Fla. on what was supposed to be a one-week vacation.
Police don't suspect foul play. They believe the men likely got into trouble while off-road driving in their rented 1999 brown GMC Jimmy. They may have driven into a lake or a roadside canal. Unfortunately, central Florida is peppered with some 400 lakes and canals that crisscross the state like roads.
"I can't believe that no one saw them at all, that they didn't stop at any store or anything," she said.

Kennedy said she visits with Mrs. Renquin often, and has been in touch with the Nelson and DesVergnes families. She also organized a fundraiser to help the families.
Members of the Renquin, DesVergnes and Nelson families appeared last month on "The Montel Williams Show," where they consulted a clairvoyant to find new leads.

The psychic, Sylvia Browne, told the families their loved ones had died in a boating accident near the Everglades in a hovercraft. She gave them the name of a man who allegedly owned the boat.

Florida authorities checked out some of the leads and found nothing, according to an Attleboro detective who has been a liaison to the families.

Detective Timothy Cooke said police in Florida have searched exhaustively through rural areas and swamps.

"That would have been a big find to find those three guys," he said. "Every cop that works a swampy area, that works a rural area, they were all out looking for these guys."
"We haven't really, what you would call, grieved. I fill up a lot when I think about him, but I haven't really had a good cry," Pat Renquin said."Everyone else goes to Florida and they come back. My son goes and he doesn't come back."
Browne said they died in a boating accident and gave the name of the boat owner. Police checked the "leads" and found nothing.

Two months later:

Quote:
Providence Journal-Bulletin (Rhode Island)
June 23, 1999, Wednesday, ALL EDITIONS
SECTION: NEWS, Pg. 1A
LENGTH: 1091 words
HEADLINE: A missed turn led to tragedy in Fla.
BYLINE: PAUL EDWARD PARKER?; Journal Staff Writers

BY PAUL EDWARD PARKER? AND ELISA CROUCH?

Standing on the exit ramp that leads from Interstate 4 into the Disney-created town of Celebration, it is not difficult to imagine the moments before Scott D. Renquin, Dan Nelson and Roger J. DesVergnes disappeared last September.

The ramp slopes down sharply from where it leaves the highway near a high overpass, then flattens out and ends at an abrupt left turn onto Celebration Boulevard.

If one were to continue straight, as authorities speculate Renquin, Nelson and DesVergnes did, the land drops into a drainage retention pond that's almost 20 feet deep.

If the Attleboro trio drove down the ramp at night Q no one knows for sure what time of day they disappeared Q they probably never saw the water at the unlighted corner. Based on the front-end damage to the tan 1999 GMC Jimmy that was recovered Monday night, investigators believe the sport utility vehicle went in nose-first, then may have flipped onto its roof.

Then the car, 125 feet from shore, slipped below the surface, spawning the nine-month mystery of three Bay State men who came to Florida for a week of fun in the sun and never returned.
When they did not return home, police searched their room at the Sunshine Resort, a condominium about 10 miles north of the pond. They found the men's belongings at the condo, but no car.

This week's discovery of the bodies brings closure, Roger DesVergnes's sister Paulette Rioux said yesterday, her arms draped over Roger Jr., her brother's 10-year-old son. DesVergnes was a divorced father of three.

As the boy looked down at the driveway, Rioux said that finally the families can grieve.
The approach to the pond has changed greatly since September. Disney is in the process of installing the curved concrete wall, with a stone block planter in front.
In sum, Browne was completely wrong. These three men died in a car accident, not a boat accident. Thus, the names she supplied were bogus and the police wasted their time searching her "leads" that were false.

Searching newspaper archives for this area shows there were plently of deaths on that same road. Also since this is near Disney World and warm tourist spot with swampland and beaches there are many boating accidents in that area. She had a 50/50 chance and missed it.

Last edited by Questioninggeller; 21st March 2007 at 09:13 PM.
Questioninggeller is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st March 2007, 07:39 PM   #2
Minarvia
fading orb

Thanks for finding these stories! They give people more to think on regarding Sylvia.
Minarvia is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st March 2007, 07:57 PM   #3
grayman
Happy-go-lucky Heretic

We need a new category in this forum devoted to Sylvia's mistakes.

All great truths begin as blasphemies. - George Bernard Shaw

God is evil. As soon as you accept that, it all makes sense. - Sledge
grayman is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st March 2007, 09:35 PM   #4
Zep
Banned

Originally Posted by grayman View Post
What other category could she ever belong to?
Zep is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st March 2007, 09:54 PM   #5
JLam
Proud Skepkid Parent

Originally Posted by Zep View Post
What other category could she ever belong to?
Human s**tstains?

"what's dicksing? my dicksionary have no word for that" - Pillory
JLam is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st March 2007, 10:56 PM   #6
Cleon
King of the Pod People

Hot damn, QG. You're going to keep poor RS busy for weeks.
Old 21st March 2007, 10:58 PM   #7
Cleon
King of the Pod People

Originally Posted by JLam View Post
Human s**tstains?
That, sir, is an affront to feces-sodden undergarments everywhere.
Old 21st March 2007, 11:39 PM   #8
JeffJ
Scholar

Originally Posted by grayman View Post
Better yet a whole forum devoted to all things Sylvia would be great. So many questions I have and just think of all the immature mocking that could take place... such as making fun of the fact that all that plastic surgery shes had still hasnt turned her into "the swan" (to put it mildly).

either way Im thrilled to see all these threads today as I cant get enough of discovering her debacles/having them publicly exposed.
JeffJ is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st March 2007, 11:45 PM   #9
Questioninggeller
Illuminator

Originally Posted by JeffJ View Post
Better yet a whole forum devoted to all things Sylvia would be great.
Check out the thread about it: http://www.internationalskeptics.com...ad.php?t=74335
Questioninggeller is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd March 2007, 04:28 AM   #10
JeffJ
Scholar

Originally Posted by Questioninggeller View Post
Check out the thread about it:

Oh, I see. Thanks.
JeffJ is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd March 2007, 11:37 PM   #11
Questioninggeller
Illuminator

Oh, I see. Thanks.
No problem, it was an older discussion I had to dig a little.
Old 27th April 2007, 08:59 AM   #12
Questioninggeller
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Minarvia View Post
Thanks for finding these stories! They give people more to think on regarding Sylvia.
Hopefully, I'll find some more too.
Old 27th April 2007, 09:35 AM   #13
kmortis
Biomechanoid
Director of IDIOCY (Region 13)
Deputy Admin

Better yet a whole forum devoted to all things Sylvia would be great. So many questions I have and just think of all the immature mocking that could take place... such as making fun of the fact that all that plastic surgery shes had still hasnt turned her into "the swan" (to put it mildly).

either way Im thrilled to see all these threads today as I cant get enough of discovering her debacles/having them publicly exposed.
Oh, I see. Thanks.
[shameless plug]OR better still, you could use the Tag system. Some really nice people work really hard to keep up the tag system here for your convenience[/shameless plug]
Here's one for Claws herself...
One for her (in)accuracy....
And one for her "predictions". Enjoy
- Aberhaten's Apothegm™ - An Internet law that states that optimism is indistinguishable from sarcasm
kmortis is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th April 2007, 04:58 PM   #14
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger

Good one kmortis. And if you want in depth analysis
Stop Sylvia Browne Or do a search using the tag system and put in sylvia browne and get
stop sylvia browne - sylvia browne - sylvia browne 911 - sylvia browne accuracy - sylvia browne books - sylvia browne clock - sylvia browne google - sylvia browne letter - sylvia browne miners - sylvia browne nonsense - sylvia browne plagiarizes - sylvia browne predictions - sylvia browne protocol - sylvia browne show - sylvia browne tour - sylvia browne transcript - sylvia browne tsunami - sylvia browne wikipedia
Old 27th April 2007, 05:43 PM   #15
PastBrowneFan
Critical Thinker

Questioninggeller, I must say that your ability to pull up these little known to unknown stories are impressive, and just add to the mountain of evidence that SB is not all that she claims to be.

Keep up the great research.
PastBrowneFan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th April 2007, 06:52 PM   #16
Minarvia
fading orb

Originally Posted by PastBrowneFan View Post
Questioninggeller, I must say that your ability to pull up these little known to unknown stories are impressive, and just add to the mountain of evidence that SB is not all that she claims to be.

Keep up the great research.
I second that. Nice work! I'm sure that every day Sylvia dreads the fact that more and more of her ************ readings are coming back to haunt her. And how Montel Williams can keep on blithely ignoring the mountain of evidence that is mounting against her is amazing. I wonder if he and she ever talk about it privately or if they have a tacit agreement to not mention it.
Minarvia is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th April 2007, 07:06 PM   #17
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger

Talking of Montal, are Sylvia's shows still on repeats? Have there been any new shows this year? I am not in the USA and so do not get the program.
Old 27th April 2007, 07:12 PM   #18
EeneyMinnieMoe
Philosopher

Originally Posted by rjh01 View Post
Talking of Montal, are Sylvia's shows still on repeats? Have there been any new shows this year? I am not in the USA and so do not get the program.
I can answer that- they just finished taping a new series of episodes. In about two weeks, those will air. I know- I was just on one!
EeneyMinnieMoe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th April 2007, 08:21 PM   #19
pspaddict
Scholar

Questioninggeller: Do you have links to both those articles? I would love to add this story to the Criticism of Sylvia Browne article on Wikipedia, but it'd need to have sources or else it'll get deleted in a second.
pspaddict is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th April 2007, 08:30 PM   #20
Questioninggeller
Illuminator

Originally Posted by pspaddict View Post
Questioninggeller: Do you have links to both those articles? I would love to add this story to the Criticism of Sylvia Browne article on Wikipedia, but it'd need to have sources or else it'll get deleted in a second.
I don't have links, but if anyone wants to follow up on it its pretty easy. If you have access to lexisnexis, search by date and the names to read the article. If you don't have access at your work, your local library will.

Or search lexisnexis for free and you can purchase the articles you want.

I just pulled up these articles by typing in the "Renquin, Nelson, and DesVergnes" at the free search.
Old 28th May 2007, 07:46 AM   #21
Questioninggeller
Illuminator

Originally Posted by EeneyMinnieMoe View Post
I can answer that- they just finished taping a new series of episodes. In about two weeks, those will air. I know- I was just on one!
The transcripts have already started to become available for 2007.
Old 28th May 2007, 07:55 AM   #22
SeekingTruth
Thinker

The transcripts have already started to become available for 2007.
QG - Thanks for all the articles you're finding that continue to point out her abilities - or rather her lack thereof. Speaking for many of us I'm sure, we're grateful for all your hard word.

It should be interesting now that the newer articles are available to see how the trend continues.

ST
SeekingTruth is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th May 2007, 10:03 AM   #23
CptColumbo
Just One More Question

Have you sent this to Anderson Cooper, he could do yet another follow-up story?
The tools of conquest do not necessarily come with bombs and explosions and fallout. There are weapons that are simply thoughts, attitudes, prejudices to be only found in the minds of men. Prejudices and suspicion can destroy, and a thoughtless frightened search for a scapegoat has a fallout all its own.--Rod Serling
CptColumbo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th May 2007, 10:08 AM   #24
Questioninggeller
Illuminator

Originally Posted by CptColumbo View Post
Have you sent this to Anderson Cooper, he could do yet another follow-up story?
Robert's watching these threads and keeping track. I'm sure if Cooper wants more information his people will contact Robert.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal