ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags david schirmer , law of attraction , meditation , positive thinking , Rhonda Byrne

Old 15th June 2007, 11:19 AM   #1
Rasmus55
Scholar

The Secret to You - Trouble in Utopia?

Interesting news connected to, "The Secret to You" nonsense that is currently the rage in new age idiot groups. Search youtube and the name "David Schirmer" to find an Australian news show running an expose on Schirmer and his activities. In case you don't know, Schirmer is titled a "teacher" on "The Secret to You" website; appearing prominently in their literature and as someone who has had incredible success in life with the secret's special teachings. They bill him as an "investment coach".

In summary, it appears that David Schirmer has a multitude of problems heading his way over investments he makes on other people's behalf; or more accurately, fails to make on other people's behalf. It seems he either just steals their money outright or completely fails in his investment strategy if these news stories are to be believed. He then refuses to pay people back, doesn't return phone calls to investing clients, and generally acts like your average, low-level con-man.

How can this be? I thought the "Secret to You" ensured success through just concentration, meditation, and quantum physics? How could he have failed, such a vaunted member of so prodigious a group? Oh, wait a minute, I think I understand. The secret is that only the principals and producers of the secret make the promised money when the cattle lovingly hand it to them for copies of this BS dvd and the host of other marketing gimicks used in the scam. Schirmer's activities are a wonderful parallel for how the secret actually works; convince credulous peasants and new age believers to pony up the cash, then take it for yourself and buy homes, cars, pools, etc.

The wonderful expose this news channel conducted on Schirmer should serve as a powerful blow to the secret's credibilty. It should cause the credulous and gullable to question whether their money is well spent. I fear, however, that this will be rationalized in some way. I can see it now:

"David was projecting negative energy, so it interfered with the law of attraction."

"David contravened the natural pattern of quantum flux, thus creating a fissure in the space-time continium and forcing him to misinterpret the signs."

"JZKnight was warned for Shermer's dalliances by Ramantha yet was silenced by agents of organized governments and big oil who seek to discredit over-unity and the brilliant truth of the secret."

"His cat ate his special meditation underwear, which in turn forced him to lose his intimate connection with universal magnetic and quantum force fields. He could only counter this horrible effect (which threatened to destroy the entire universe and several parallel dimensions) by using client money to buy a house, pool, BMW, tennis court, etc."

What excuses can you come up with?
Rasmus55 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th June 2007, 11:32 AM   #2
latent aaaack
Muse

A mysterious cult leader accused of improper conduct, fraud, and abusing peoples' trust for personal gain? What planet did I just land on? If he's anything like disgraced religious leaders he'll some years later make a comeback of some kind and claim it was 'the secret' that gave him the strength to finally pull his fortunes around and overcome his personal failings, which would never include something as profitable as 'the secret'.
latent aaaack is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th June 2007, 11:38 AM   #3
Rasmus55
Scholar

You make an excellent point. How silly of me to think this might actually force others to re-examine this absurd scam. Unfortunately, I think you are right. In the end it will only serve to reinforce the power of the secret. Pathetic in all respects.
Rasmus55 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal