ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags astronomy , science humor

Old 22nd January 2008, 10:24 AM   #1
Tirdun
Muse

Rover finds figure on Mars.... sort of.

The Register has an article up about a "figure" discovered on Mars by the rovers. Very tongue in cheek writeup. I'm putting it here (at risk of getting offed to humor) because there is some serious debate as to what the figure is.

I think it looks like bigfoot from the PG film. Or a pattern in the sand.
Tirdun is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd January 2008, 11:34 AM   #2
sinclairmcevoy
Philosopher

Yup. Bigfoot. Now we know where he really lives.
Old 22nd January 2008, 11:41 AM   #3
madurobob
Philosopher

Nope, my immediate thought was echoed by the second comment left on the site. The Copenhagen Mermaid. Obviously built by an ancient civilization that later departed mars and settled Denmark.
Old 22nd January 2008, 11:51 AM   #4
kosai
Recently Audited Thetan Cluster

uhhhhhh guys??

By travisjd at 2008-01-22

Last edited by kosai; 22nd January 2008 at 11:59 AM.
kosai is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd January 2008, 12:05 PM   #5
Tirdun
Muse

And here's the original source . I'm having trouble making anything out, but I'm sure the spotters out there will have no difficulty.

I still think it looks like bigfoot. Bigfoot doing Tai Chi.
Tirdun is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd January 2008, 12:24 PM   #6
Steve H
Thinker

Well if anyone wondered why we never come across Bigfoot carcasses, now we know...Bigfoot goes to Mars to die.
Steve H is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd January 2008, 12:52 PM   #7
krelnik
Graduate Poster

Phil already has a debunk of this up here:
http://www.badastronomy.com/bablog/2...b-mars-claims/
krelnik is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd January 2008, 12:59 PM   #8
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

There can be no doubt the picture is Our Lady of the Sacred Heart, The Lamb of God's own Mother, the Blessed Virgin Herself.

Blessed be the Name of Our Lord Jesus the Christ.
Old 22nd January 2008, 01:02 PM   #9
RSLancastr

I think it's the Little Mermaid.

Curious about Sylvia Browne? Read about her at www.StopSylvia.com.

Ever wonder "What's the Harm?" with psychics, alternative medicine, etc?
RSLancastr is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd January 2008, 01:26 PM   #10
theMark
Critical Thinker

Talking And another one! Must be this Parey Doleya guy sculpting away like mad...

OK, sorry for the bad pun

Just couldn't resist...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg another_face.jpg (17.1 KB, 25 views)
theMark is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd January 2008, 06:23 PM   #11
-Fran-
Master Poster

Originally Posted by madurobob View Post
The Copenhagen Mermaid. Obviously built by an ancient civilization that later departed mars and settled Denmark.
That would explain some things...
Old 22nd January 2008, 06:54 PM   #12
kosai
Recently Audited Thetan Cluster

Wow, maybe I spent too long away from the woo websites.. But there's an alien skull found already...

http://intertet.org/index.php?post_i...&view=volgende
kosai is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd January 2008, 06:59 PM   #13
petra10
Graduate Poster

It definitly looks like the Denmark mermaid to me.

Does any one know if this figure is anywhere near "the face"
Old 22nd January 2008, 07:14 PM   #14
eir_de_scania
Thinker

It's the diminutive mermaid, four inches tall. Or short, if you prefer. The Copenhagen mermaid is small, but not this small.

Granny Weatherwax
eir_de_scania is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd January 2008, 08:56 PM   #15
athon

Originally Posted by kosai View Post
Wow, maybe I spent too long away from the woo websites.. But there's an alien skull found already...

I had to laugh at this:

Quote:
ccording to Mars expert, J. P. Skipper, this particular Mars scene is evidence of image tampering by NASA, "For me, what makes this even more reportable as anomalous evidence even more than its general look is the fluffy image tampering applications clustered around the base of the object. This darker bulky obscuring area isn't rocks and/or shadow as one might at first presume, it is image tampering giving it this false bulky look in those spots." Skipper continued, "Note the diffuse fluffy fuzzy quality that are these darker tampering areas. This is typical of false artificially added information as compared to real solid particulate surfaces like the real ground level bone (skull) or artificially worked statue head material that are of course as hard surfaces much more solar light reflective. For me, it is these image tampering applications partially obscuring this object that gives much more credence to this being something someone did not want us to be able to adequately recognize."
Sure. NASA covers up the bottom part of the 'skull' to hide it. WTF? Are people THAT bored with their lives that they have to invent this stuff, or are they just seriously so lacking in judgement. Worse still, they're given air time (er, text time) by other morons who have no ability to think.

As for the Martian Sasquatch, I wonder what he's pointing at.

Athon
athon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd January 2008, 11:11 PM   #16
YouBelieveWHAT?
Muse

Originally Posted by The Atheist View Post
There can be no doubt the picture is Our Lady of the Sacred Heart, The Lamb of God's own Mother, the Blessed Virgin Herself.

Blessed be the Name of Our Lord Jesus the Christ.
I agree.

These things are always the Virgin Mary, aren't they?

Sheesh!

And thanks to SkepticJ:
We'd outgrown the fables, I knew. The sun isn't Apollo's chariot, of course, it's a star that began burning when a god said "Let there be light". Man was not created from clay by Zeus, he was created from clay by Yahweh. Hades didn't restore Euridice to life, please. That would be absurd. Jesus did, of course, restore Lazarus to life.... What morons we were before. How wise we are now. - Dale McGowan
YouBelieveWHAT? is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd January 2008, 11:35 PM   #17
Timothy
Muse

Originally Posted by petra10 View Post
It definitly looks like the Denmark mermaid to me.

Does any one know if this figure is anywhere near "the face"
Cydonia Mensae is on the opposite side of the planet from Spirit's Gusev Crater landing site.
Timothy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd January 2008, 11:39 PM   #18
YouBelieveWHAT?
Muse

Originally Posted by Timothy View Post
Cydonia Mensae is on the opposite side of the planet from Spirit's Gusev Crater landing site.
Presumably Hoagland's already measuring up to find some sort of connection.....

And thanks to SkepticJ:
We'd outgrown the fables, I knew. The sun isn't Apollo's chariot, of course, it's a star that began burning when a god said "Let there be light". Man was not created from clay by Zeus, he was created from clay by Yahweh. Hades didn't restore Euridice to life, please. That would be absurd. Jesus did, of course, restore Lazarus to life.... What morons we were before. How wise we are now. - Dale McGowan
YouBelieveWHAT? is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd January 2008, 01:13 AM   #19
UnrepentantSinner
A post by Alan Smithee

Originally Posted by YouBelieveWHAT? View Post
Presumably Hoagland's already measuring up to find some sort of connection.....
Bah, I hoped I'd be the first to make a Hoagland reference...

Looks like a garden gnome flipping the bird to me.
I am an American citizen who is part of American society and briefly served in the American armed forces. I use American dollars and pay taxes that support the American government. And yes, despite the editorial decison to change American politics to the nonsensical "USA politics" subforum, I follow and comment on American politics.
UnrepentantSinner is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd January 2008, 03:18 AM   #20
YouBelieveWHAT?
Muse

Originally Posted by UnrepentantSinner View Post
Bah, I hoped I'd be the first to make a Hoagland reference...

Looks like a garden gnome flipping the bird to me.
For once I think the time zones were in my favour

Perhaps it's a tiny Hoagland - now wouldn't that be something

And thanks to SkepticJ:

Last edited by YouBelieveWHAT?; 23rd January 2008 at 03:19 AM.
Old 23rd January 2008, 05:28 AM   #21
UnrepentantSinner
A post by Alan Smithee

For once I think the time zones were in my favour

I'm not going to check Enterprise Mission until I get off work. Have you, and if so, has he commented?
I am an American citizen who is part of American society and briefly served in the American armed forces. I use American dollars and pay taxes that support the American government. And yes, despite the editorial decison to change American politics to the nonsensical "USA politics" subforum, I follow and comment on American politics.
UnrepentantSinner is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd January 2008, 05:51 AM   #22
YouBelieveWHAT?
Muse

I've just had a quick look, and didn't see anything.

Mind you, scrolling down through all of the stuff on his front page makes my eyes go funny.

And thanks to SkepticJ:
Old 23rd January 2008, 06:14 AM   #23
Tirdun
Muse

The man certainly needs something else on Mars to obsess over.
Old 23rd January 2008, 09:25 AM   #24
UnrepentantSinner
A post by Alan Smithee

I've just had a quick look, and didn't see anything.

Mind you, scrolling down through all of the stuff on his front page makes my eyes go funny.
Ach, I watched to much TV this morning and my time on line is limited. Perhaps I'll risk chastizement at work and check it out tonight (CST).

Hey, and are you familiar with Grafenwoehr? I used to visit Nuremburg to get my braces tightened since we didn't have an orthodontist at my dad's base.
Old 23rd January 2008, 10:24 AM   #25
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by Tirdun View Post
And here's the original source . I'm having trouble making anything out, but I'm sure the spotters out there will have no difficulty.

I still think it looks like bigfoot. Bigfoot doing Tai Chi.
That's disgusting, man. Why would T'ai Chi even touch the...

Uh oh. You're not talking about the POSTER T'ai Chi, right ?

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd January 2008, 10:28 AM   #26
Kilgore Trout
Wuse

I vote that it's Moses.
Old 23rd January 2008, 11:35 AM   #27
St.Michael
Scholar

Originally Posted by Kilgore Trout View Post
I vote that it's Moses.
No, it's definitely Muhammad.
St.Michael is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd January 2008, 11:53 AM   #28
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by kosai View Post

Human skull? No way! That most definitely looks like a Predator skull.

Privatize the profits and socialize the losses. It's the American way. That's how Mnuchin got rich. Worse, he did it on the backs of elderly people who had been conned into reverse mortgages. Mnuchin paid zero, took on the debt then taxpayers bailed him out.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd January 2008, 12:27 PM   #29
leadcork
New Blood

Not T'ai Chi.... It's the macarena, clearly.
leadcork is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd January 2008, 04:09 PM   #30
cj.23
Master Poster

I'm with the BBC on this
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/7205004.stm

Proof us Danes are clearly Martian!
BTW, nice to see badastronomy get a mention on there.

cj x

My dull life blogged http://jerome23.wordpress.com
cj.23 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd January 2008, 05:17 PM   #31
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

It's John Carter,Fools.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd January 2008, 06:06 PM   #32
Notrump
Muse

Wink

Immediately below is a wider view of the photo in true colors that may put things in better perspective. It includes a part of the rover’s solar panel. NASA says the hill that is dotted with rocks and is seen just above the center is about 30 meters away. Across the bottom third or quarter of the photo is the edge of the plateau on which the rover is sitting. Near the left end of the photo on the plateau edge is the object of interest. It appears to be a couple of meters away and a couple of centimeters in height.

The bottom image gives a closeup view. NASA should instruct the rover to give the poor little man a few drops of water. He’s probably dehydrated from wandering the planet for millions of years in search of a mate.

Last edited by Notrump; 23rd January 2008 at 06:59 PM.
Notrump is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd January 2008, 06:43 PM   #33
PastBrowneFan
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by RSLancastr View Post
I think it's the Little Mermaid.

Robert, I'm surprised that you didn't recognize it as Sylvia's Spirit Guide Francine.

Looks like she's waiting for Syliva's other Guide Raheim to show up for their meeting concerning SB's 80% accuracy rate.
PastBrowneFan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd January 2008, 10:23 PM   #34
UnrepentantSinner
A post by Alan Smithee

It's a Leprechaun.
Old 24th January 2008, 04:19 AM   #35
I less than three logic
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by madurobob View Post
Nope, my immediate thought was echoed by the second comment left on the site. The Copenhagen Mermaid. Obviously built by an ancient civilization that later departed mars and settled Denmark.
You made the news, and it seems your explanation is winning.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/7205004.stm
“The fact that we live at the bottom of a deep gravity well, on the surface of a gas covered planet going around a nuclear fireball ninety million miles away and think this to be normal is obviously some indication of how skewed our perspective tends to be.” – Douglas Adams
I less than three logic is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th January 2008, 02:33 PM   #36
Glite
sexiest man alive

I must be tired, I saw the title of the post and thought "it really is the go anywhere vehicle, I hope they have tow trucks on mars."
Old 24th January 2008, 03:54 PM   #37
Miss Whiplash
Graduate Poster

This was just on my local evening news a few seconds ago. The news anchors broke into gales of laughter. Whoever was closed captioning the segment typed in "[Laughter] hooty hoot hoot!" That about sums it up.
Miss Whiplash is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th January 2008, 05:09 PM   #38
Elizabeth I
Philosopher

Originally Posted by athon View Post
As for the Martian Sasquatch, I wonder what he's pointing at.

Athon

DUH...the skull!
Elizabeth I is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th January 2008, 05:28 PM   #39
WildCat
NWO Master Conspirator

Clearly, what we have here is a 5 inch tall Martian that eats rocks.
Old 24th January 2008, 06:58 PM   #40
Apathia
Philosopher

There are people who don't want you messing with their pet mermaid!
http://h1.ripway.com/Apathia/18944554adb75a428.jpg

"Humans aren't rational creatures but rationalizing creatures."
Author Unknown
Apathia is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal