ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology
 


Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags evolution , reductionism , reincarnation

Reply
Old 16th February 2008, 11:57 AM   #1
wogoga
Critical Thinker
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 334
Reincarnation as a trivial scientific fact

In the thread Demography of Japan - Evidence of Reincarnation I showed that the demographic evolution of Japan constitutes strong evidence for demographic saturation and therefore also for reincarnation. Because of the poor quality of most posts in that thread I start here a new one.

Population of Japan in million and percentage of its current population (source):
2000 126.9 _99.3% | 2003 127.7 _99.9% | 2006 127.8 100.0%
2001 127.3 _99.7% | 2004 127.8 100.0% | 2007 127.8 100.0%
2002 127.5 _99.8% | 2005 127.8 100.0% | 2008 127.8 100.0%
Whereas the population of Japan e.g. increased from 1970 to 1975 by 8.2 million, the increase from 2003 to 2008 is only 0.1 million. Japan is the best example to test the saturation-thesis because migration is very low, and migration is the most important factor confounding demographic saturation. In a saturated population, the number of births is limited by the number of deaths, because all souls are alive and no child can be born without a soul.

Isn't it a pity that such a simple, fundamental and far-reaching insight as the empirical reality of souls is ignored, and this only because of the quasi-religious prejudices of the currently prevailing reductionist materialism? The effects of saturation will become even stronger in the coming years, and not only in the case of human population and fertility, but also in the food production. If for example the worldwide pig population is already saturated, then an increase in the number of pigs in the developing countries is only possible at the expense of bigs in the developed countries. Such a decrease in the developed countries has already become reality in the case of honey bees. No species can grow beyond a saturation of 100% (in the short term).

Also the spread of diseases such as diabetes can result from a shortage of corresponding psychons (enzyme-souls). There have never been so many humans living all at the same time. In addition to that, the average body size of our species has also been increasing in recent times (a body of 100 kg needs obviously more enzymes than a body of 50 kg). Never in human evolution so many enzymes have been needed in order to perform all the many biochemical tasks of the corresponding world population.

It is easy to ridicule the notion that enzymes can only efficiently work if they are animated by psychons (souls) having learned their tasks over millions of years of biological evolution. But from the point of view of pure reason (Kant) the hypothesis that dead particles are able to perform such complicated tasks as e.g. DNA wrapping and replication is simply untenable.

Cheers, Wolfgang
wogoga is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th February 2008, 12:02 PM   #2
~enigma~
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 7,923
Originally Posted by wogoga View Post
In the thread Demography of Japan - Evidence of Reincarnation I showed that the demographic evolution of Japan constitutes strong evidence for demographic saturation and therefore also for reincarnation. Because of the poor quality of most posts in that thread I start here a new one.

Population of Japan in million and percentage of its current population (source):
2000 126.9 _99.3% | 2003 127.7 _99.9% | 2006 127.8 100.0%
2001 127.3 _99.7% | 2004 127.8 100.0% | 2007 127.8 100.0%
2002 127.5 _99.8% | 2005 127.8 100.0% | 2008 127.8 100.0%
Whereas the population of Japan e.g. increased from 1970 to 1975 by 8.2 million, the increase from 2003 to 2008 is only 0.1 million. Japan is the best example to test the saturation-thesis because migration is very low, and migration is the most important factor confounding demographic saturation. In a saturated population, the number of births is limited by the number of deaths, because all souls are alive and no child can be born without a soul.

Isn't it a pity that such a simple, fundamental and far-reaching insight as the empirical reality of souls is ignored, and this only because of the quasi-religious prejudices of the currently prevailing reductionist materialism? The effects of saturation will become even stronger in the coming years, and not only in the case of human population and fertility, but also in the food production. If for example the worldwide pig population is already saturated, then an increase in the number of pigs in the developing countries is only possible at the expense of bigs in the developed countries. Such a decrease in the developed countries has already become reality in the case of honey bees. No species can grow beyond a saturation of 100% (in the short term).

Also the spread of diseases such as diabetes can result from a shortage of corresponding psychons (enzyme-souls). There have never been so many humans living all at the same time. In addition to that, the average body size of our species has also been increasing in recent times (a body of 100 kg needs obviously more enzymes than a body of 50 kg). Never in human evolution so many enzymes have been needed in order to perform all the many biochemical tasks of the corresponding world population.

It is easy to ridicule the notion that enzymes can only efficiently work if they are animated by psychons (souls) having learned their tasks over millions of years of biological evolution. But from the point of view of pure reason (Kant) the hypothesis that dead particles are able to perform such complicated tasks as e.g. DNA wrapping and replication is simply untenable.

Cheers, Wolfgang
~enigma~ is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th February 2008, 12:06 PM   #3
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing
 
Meadmaker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 18,488
Originally Posted by wogoga View Post
Also the spread of diseases such as diabetes can result from a shortage of corresponding psychons (enzyme-souls). There have never been so many humans living all at the same time.
I'm curious about something, if you don;t mind my asking. I seem to recall that life expectancy today is greater than in previous ages.

That would suggest to me that diseases killed people even faster back in those days than today.

So, when there were plenty of surplus psychons to go around, there was more disease, on a per capita basis.

How does that fit in with the theory of diseases being caused by psychon shortage?
Meadmaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th February 2008, 12:07 PM   #4
Lucifuge Rofocale
Muse
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 968
Originally Posted by wogoga View Post
In the thread Demography of Japan - Evidence of Reincarnation I showed that the demographic evolution of Japan constitutes strong evidence for demographic saturation and therefore also for reincarnation. Because of the poor quality of most posts in that thread I start here a new one.

Population of Japan in million and percentage of its current population (source):
2000 126.9 _99.3% | 2003 127.7 _99.9% | 2006 127.8 100.0%
2001 127.3 _99.7% | 2004 127.8 100.0% | 2007 127.8 100.0%
2002 127.5 _99.8% | 2005 127.8 100.0% | 2008 127.8 100.0%
Whereas the population of Japan e.g. increased from 1970 to 1975 by 8.2 million, the increase from 2003 to 2008 is only 0.1 million. Japan is the best example to test the saturation-thesis because migration is very low, and migration is the most important factor confounding demographic saturation. In a saturated population, the number of births is limited by the number of deaths, because all souls are alive and no child can be born without a soul.

Isn't it a pity that such a simple, fundamental and far-reaching insight as the empirical reality of souls is ignored, and this only because of the quasi-religious prejudices of the currently prevailing reductionist materialism? The effects of saturation will become even stronger in the coming years, and not only in the case of human population and fertility, but also in the food production. If for example the worldwide pig population is already saturated, then an increase in the number of pigs in the developing countries is only possible at the expense of bigs in the developed countries. Such a decrease in the developed countries has already become reality in the case of honey bees. No species can grow beyond a saturation of 100% (in the short term).

Also the spread of diseases such as diabetes can result from a shortage of corresponding psychons (enzyme-souls). There have never been so many humans living all at the same time. In addition to that, the average body size of our species has also been increasing in recent times (a body of 100 kg needs obviously more enzymes than a body of 50 kg). Never in human evolution so many enzymes have been needed in order to perform all the many biochemical tasks of the corresponding world population.

It is easy to ridicule the notion that enzymes can only efficiently work if they are animated by psychons (souls) having learned their tasks over millions of years of biological evolution. But from the point of view of pure reason (Kant) the hypothesis that dead particles are able to perform such complicated tasks as e.g. DNA wrapping and replication is simply untenable.

Cheers, Wolfgang
Lucifuge Rofocale is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th February 2008, 12:52 PM   #5
Olowkow
Philosopher
 
Olowkow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 8,230
Well, this is "wogoga".
http://groups.google.com/group/talk....51111710c31874

Really nifty video at the bottom.
Olowkow is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th February 2008, 01:31 PM   #6
ben m
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 6,387
Originally Posted by wogoga View Post
Because of the poor quality of most posts in that thread I start here a new one.
Yes, the old thread is trivial scientific evidence of forum-post-souls. The later posts all had diabetes because the Bigfoot thread didn't die fast enough.
ben m is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th February 2008, 12:11 AM   #7
Complexity
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 9,242
Originally Posted by wogoga View Post
In ... untenable.

Cheers, Wolfgang

What a silly bunch of drivel.

A bag of burning woo.
Complexity is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th February 2008, 06:27 AM   #8
This is The End
 
This is The End's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 10,571
This almost works......... as a simplified analogous fable about over-population, complete with animal protagonists.
__________________
________________________
This is The End is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th February 2008, 08:54 AM   #9
quarky
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 20,121
I'm curious to understand something:
Does the total bio-mass of the planet remain fairly stable? Or is it growing, as it must have from the early days of life on Earth?

Is there an upper-limit on the bio-mass?
Or is the entire planet gradually becoming more organic?

If there is a stasis, then the Hindu type reincarnation of souls makes a better case then the Bhuddist type reincarnation. More pigs means less squirrels, because the squirrel souls have evolved into pig-ville. Eventually, it will be all humans; eating other humans?
The fully evolved state of affairs?
quarky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th February 2008, 11:16 AM   #10
Gord_in_Toronto
Penultimate Amazing
 
Gord_in_Toronto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 18,647
So is the number of souls limited by "race", by geographic location, or globally? The OP claims all three. They can't all be correct.

How are the new born children of "mixed race" or who's parents move to another country or leave the planet assigned their souls?

Just asking questions.
__________________
"Reality is what's left when you cease to believe." Philip K. Dick
Gord_in_Toronto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th February 2008, 02:37 PM   #11
quarky
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 20,121
This might be the all-time worst web-site to be asking theological questions.

If it wasn't, I ask this one:

Why does God limp?
quarky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th February 2008, 03:12 PM   #12
Frozenwolf150
Formerly SilentKnight
 
Frozenwolf150's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 4,134
Originally Posted by wogoga View Post
In a saturated population, the number of births is limited by the number of deaths, because all souls are alive and no child can be born without a soul.
Wrong. It happens all the time. For example, I was born without a soul. It certainly has its advantages, the least of which is that it's far less baggage to carry around, and I get to live without the burden of original sin. Plus it helps me avoid detection whenever there's a dementor attack.
__________________
We'll meet again, Don't know where, Don't know when
But I know we'll meet again some sunny day
Keep smiling through, Just like you always do
Till the blue skies drive the dark clouds far away
Frozenwolf150 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th February 2008, 03:14 PM   #13
wogoga
Critical Thinker
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 334
Psychon-deficit diseases

Originally Posted by wogoga View Post
Also the spread of diseases such as diabetes can result from a shortage of corresponding psychons (enzyme-souls). There have never been so many humans living all at the same time.

Originally Posted by Meadmaker View Post
I seem to recall that life expectancy today is greater than in previous ages. That would suggest to me that diseases killed people even faster back in those days than today. So, when there were plenty of surplus psychons to go around, there was more disease, on a per capita basis. How does that fit in with the theory of diseases being caused by psychon shortage?

Psychon shortage is only a problem in what we can call psychon-deficit diseases. And only future research can show how widespread such diseases actually are. In many degenerative diseases such a psychon deficit could be involved. A sine-qua-non prerequisite for classifying a disease as a psychon-deficit disease is an increase in the relative incidence of the disease with increasing population figures.

If it is actually true that "the first historical account of muscular dystrophy appeared in 1830, when Sir Charles Bell wrote an essay about an illness that caused progressive weakness in boys", then it stands to reason to consider muscular dystrophy a psychon-deficit disease. The biochemistry of muscles resp. the work of the involved enzymes (proteins) is astonishingly complex.

The fact that the corresponding "conditions are inherited, and the different muscular dystrophies follow various inheritance patterns" is consistent with the psychon thesis, because to different alleles of a given gene locus can correspond different psychon variants (i.e. related psychon species). If e.g. allele-x psychons of a given enzyme (gene locus) are already saturated (i.e. they all are already incarnated resp. working somewhere), but the human population with two copies of this allele-x (homozygosity) is still increasing in number, then a shortage of working enzymes (for the corresponding gene locus) in this population is an unavoidable outcome, leading to health problems in at least some members of this population.

A person, having only one such allele-x copy and as the second copy an allele-y, does not risk such psychon-deficit problems, if the allele-y psychon-population is not yet saturated, because there are still free allele-y psychons around, being able to do the work.

Cheers, Wolfgang

Isn't it strange that people believing in all the many animals (epicycles) of the current particle zoo of orthodox physics (e.g. neutrinos, quarks, gravitons, gluons) invoke Occam's razor against the wonderfully simple and elegant psychon concept, having explicative power from biochemistry to one of the oldest philosophical problems, the body-mind problem?

Last edited by wogoga; 17th February 2008 at 04:07 PM.
wogoga is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th February 2008, 03:21 PM   #14
Gravy
Downsitting Citizen
 
Gravy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 17,072
I just won a side bet that wogoga's next post would include colored text.
__________________
"Please, keep your chops cool and don’t overblow.” –Freddie Hubbard

What's the Harm?........Stop Sylvia Browne........My 9/11 links
Gravy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th February 2008, 06:14 PM   #15
Gord_in_Toronto
Penultimate Amazing
 
Gord_in_Toronto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 18,647
Originally Posted by Gravy View Post
I just won a side bet that wogoga's next post would include colored text.
Sure. Sure. But he did not actually say the word "quantum".
__________________
"Reality is what's left when you cease to believe." Philip K. Dick
Gord_in_Toronto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th February 2008, 06:43 PM   #16
jsfisher
ETcorngods survivor
Moderator
 
jsfisher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 22,268
Originally Posted by wogoga View Post
Isn't it strange that people believing in all the many animals (epicycles) of the current particle zoo of orthodox physics (e.g. neutrinos, quarks, gravitons, gluons) invoke Occam's razor against the wonderfully simple and elegant psychon concept, having explicative power from biochemistry to one of the oldest philosophical problems, the body-mind problem?
If your hypothesis is all that elegant and wonderful, please make a falsifiable prediction based on it.
__________________
A proud member of the Simpson 15+7, named in the suit, Simpson v. Zwinge, et al., and founder of the ET Corn Gods Survivors Group.

"He's the greatest mod that never was!" -- Monketey Ghost
jsfisher is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th February 2008, 09:08 PM   #17
MattusMaximus
Intellectual Gladiator
 
MattusMaximus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 15,948
Wogoga, I can only respond with the following...

__________________
Visit my blog: The Skeptical Teacher
"We ****** up the air, the water, we ****** up each other. Why don't we just finish the job by flushing our brains down the toilet?" -- John Trent, In the Mouth of Madness

Last edited by MattusMaximus; 17th February 2008 at 09:13 PM.
MattusMaximus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th February 2008, 09:09 PM   #18
MattusMaximus
Intellectual Gladiator
 
MattusMaximus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 15,948
Originally Posted by jsfisher View Post
If your hypothesis is all that elegant and wonderful, please make a falsifiable prediction based on it.

I second this challenge. I cannot wait to see the response to this challenge. I'm on pins & needles...

Cheers - Mattus
__________________
Visit my blog: The Skeptical Teacher
"We ****** up the air, the water, we ****** up each other. Why don't we just finish the job by flushing our brains down the toilet?" -- John Trent, In the Mouth of Madness
MattusMaximus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th February 2008, 09:29 AM   #19
Cuddles
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 18,538
Originally Posted by wogoga View Post
Psychon shortage is only a problem in what we can call psychon-deficit diseases.
We? Got a mouse in your pocket?

Originally Posted by Gord_in_Toronto View Post
Sure. Sure. But he did not actually say the word "quantum".
Yeah, but he said "quarks". Surely that's close enough.
Cuddles is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th February 2008, 10:34 AM   #20
ben m
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 6,387
Wogoga, the Earth's population in 1820 was about 1,000,000,000 people, some of whom had MD. Today it's about 6,000,000,000 people. Why aren't there 1,000,000,000 healthy people today---sharing the original stockpile of anti-MS psychons---and 5,000,000,000 with muscular dystrophy?
ben m is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th February 2008, 01:56 PM   #21
wogoga
Critical Thinker
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 334
Originally Posted by quarky View Post
Does the total bio-mass of the planet remain fairly stable?

That could well be the case. Maybe the main reason of the spreading of deserts (e.g. Sahara) after the last ice age is primarily caused be a lack of enough bio-mass. If the vegetation spreads to regions near the poles, then a shortage of needed psychons can be the result in regions near the equator, where survival conditions have become more difficult. Only 18'000 years ago, the location I sit now (Vaduz, Liechtenstein, Europe) was covered by hundreds of meters of ice.

BTW, the always changing climate on Earth has been a main driving force of evolution in general, and the last glacial period of around 100,000 years a main driving force of our evolution in special.

"The last glacial period was the most recent glacial period within the current ice age, occurring in the Pleistocene epoch. It began about 110,000 years ago and ended between 10,000 and 15,000 BP. During this period there were several changes between glacier advance and retreat." (Wikipedia)

"Unlike the psychons of atoms and simple molecules, the more complex psychons of enzymes, cells and animals evolved over billions of years on earth. Because of the limits in space and other resources, only a limited number of every kind of psychons could evolve. This limitation is empirically relevant. Unlike the output of chemical production processes, the output of biotechnological production processes cannot always be increased just as one likes." (Empirical Relevance of Psychons)

"The saturation thesis is relevant not only to humans but to all organisms. It can hardly be denied that many animal populations remain rather constant in size without Malthusian struggles for survival. There are also limits on animal breeding and plant cultivation. There is even a saturation for pathogens like bacteria and viruses. A pathogen of a local epidemic cannot be a threat to mankind, nor can genetically engineered pathogens." (The Demographic Saturation Theory)


Originally Posted by Gord_in_Toronto View Post
So is the number of souls limited by "race", by geographic location, or globally? The OP claims all three. They can't all be correct. How are the new born children of "mixed race" or who's parents move to another country ...

Probability theory can easily resolve such questions.

"According to the saturation model, the endpoint of demographic transition is a fertility oscillating near direct-replacement fertility, resulting in a rather constant population. In reality, however, the effect of direct-replacement fertility after demographic transition can interfere with other effects. Despite being already saturated, populations of child-oriented countries or groups, having lower prevalence of contraception and abortion, can still increase at the expense of evolutionarily related less child-oriented countries or groups. The reason is simple: evolutionarily related countries or groups can be seen as subpopulations of a unit, having as a whole a maximum potential population. So if something hinders one subpopulation from replacing its deaths by births then another subpopulation can further grow at the expense of the first. The more evolutionarily-related subpopulations are, the easier they can grow at the expense of each other." (Classification in subpopulations and evolutionary relatedness)

"The most important long-ranging factor confounding the demographic saturation model is migration." (The effect of migration on direct-replacement fertility)

Cheers, Wolfgang
wogoga is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th February 2008, 08:08 PM   #22
MattusMaximus
Intellectual Gladiator
 
MattusMaximus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 15,948
Originally Posted by quarky View Post
This might be the all-time worst web-site to be asking theological questions.

If it wasn't, I ask this one:

Why does God limp?

My favorite: Did Adam & Eve have navels?

Think about it...
__________________
Visit my blog: The Skeptical Teacher
"We ****** up the air, the water, we ****** up each other. Why don't we just finish the job by flushing our brains down the toilet?" -- John Trent, In the Mouth of Madness
MattusMaximus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th February 2008, 08:10 PM   #23
MattusMaximus
Intellectual Gladiator
 
MattusMaximus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 15,948
Originally Posted by Cuddles View Post
Yeah, but he said "quarks". Surely that's close enough.

"Quarks"?! Hell, he's got me convinced.
__________________
Visit my blog: The Skeptical Teacher
"We ****** up the air, the water, we ****** up each other. Why don't we just finish the job by flushing our brains down the toilet?" -- John Trent, In the Mouth of Madness
MattusMaximus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th February 2008, 09:05 PM   #24
sol invictus
Philosopher
 
sol invictus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 8,613


I just read through this thread, and damn is it good stuff. I haven't laughed so hard in a long time.

I hope that's not a symptom of oncoming psychon deficiency...

Last edited by sol invictus; 18th February 2008 at 09:06 PM.
sol invictus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th February 2008, 10:23 PM   #25
bruto
Penultimate Amazing
 
bruto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Way way north of Diddy Wah Diddy
Posts: 23,424
Originally Posted by wogoga View Post

Isn't it strange that people believing in all the many animals (epicycles) of the current particle zoo of orthodox physics (e.g. neutrinos, quarks, gravitons, gluons) invoke Occam's razor....etc.
Better put that thing down. You'll cut yourself. Ooops. Too late.
__________________
I love this world, but not for its answers. (Mary Oliver)

Quand il dit "cuic" le moineau croit tout dire. (When he's tweeted the sparrow thinks he's said it all. (Jules Renard)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th February 2008, 10:33 PM   #26
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator
 
Foolmewunz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Pattaya, Thailand
Posts: 39,896
Mein Gott!

Where do they come from? Has every third poster here got some batguano crazy idea of an alternate universe, supported only by ridiculous hypotheses fabricated out of thin air?

Mods - yet another thread that belongs in Gen-Skep. There's no math, science, technology, or medicine in this theory. (The mere use of numbers does not a mathematics thread make.)

Wolfgang,
Are these your own creation or are they the creations of some guru/master/brahmin, somewhere. Certainly interesting, but purely as a work of fiction.

Theory: Some Creative Writing 101 teacher somewhere has assigned his/her students to come "pull off an hysterically ridiculous fantasy" on a skeptics site. How else do we account for this, Eddy-P, MartinV, ... all surfacing (or re-surfacing) in the same fortnight?
__________________
Ha! Foolmewunz has just been added to the list of people who aren't complete idiots. Hokulele

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.

Last edited by Foolmewunz; 18th February 2008 at 10:34 PM.
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th February 2008, 10:49 PM   #27
six7s
veretic
 
six7s's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 8,716
Hi Wolfgang,

Don't be disheartened by the laughing hyenas and dogs1, I'm with you all the way

Originally Posted by wogoga View Post
In the thread Demography of Japan - Evidence of Reincarnation I showed that the demographic evolution of Japan constitutes strong evidence for demographic saturation and therefore also for reincarnation
Up until the word 'therefore'

Wherefore 'therefore'?

__________________________________

1 Don't be disheartened by the laughing hyenas and dogs, they're only images. Be disheartened by the way that so many people, on a sceptics forum, have no qualms taking the piss out of your unsubstantiated woo
__________________
Evolution and the rest of reality fascinates the be-jeebus out of me!

Last edited by six7s; 18th February 2008 at 10:51 PM.
six7s is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th February 2008, 11:49 PM   #28
Gate2501
Graduate Poster
 
Gate2501's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 1,377
I joined these forums not long ago. I am beginning to see a pattern with the bat*poop* crazies that post here.

It seems to me that these folks seem to have insanely complicated arguments, that I think they themselves, must not fully comprehend.

You are seriously trying to relate population issues with some finite amount of "soul juice" somewhere? Where is it when there is a surplus? Why can we not detect it? Why is it required and how can you prove that it exists ( aside from postdictive population related theories )?

I would love to think that there is such a thing as a soul, but I think that my sentience will remain a mystery to me, and my "free will" is probably just an illusion brought on by a massive amount of variables obfuscating the deterministic nature of my actions. How dreadful...
Gate2501 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th February 2008, 11:54 AM   #29
wogoga
Critical Thinker
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 334
At first we must ask whether the premises of panpsychistic evolution are logically consistent. Apriori there is no reason to assume that panpsychism and reincarnation are worse as a foundation of a scientific theory than reductionist materialism, at least if we accept an epistemology similar to the one of Occam or Einstein. And some of the most influential thinkers of the past were panpsychists.

As long as we do not detect logical contradictions, we must take panpsychism as seriously as reductionist materialism. So we have these two alternatives:
  1. Darwinian evolution --> Malthusianism --> predictions of standard demography
  2. Panpsychistic evolution--> demographic saturation --> demographic predictions
And every halfway intelligent and honest person must admit that the predictions of demographic saturation agree much better with the facts than the predictions of standard demography do ("With respect to actual fertility, for decades population forecasters have assumed that it would not fall below replacement only to find that already more than half of the world's population today is below replacement (LUSKTE)". I predicted extremely low fertilty before the fact, because it is a simple logical consequence of a saturated population pyramid with many persons in fertile ages, few persons in the old ages and low mortality in general. Imagine, total fertilty rate fell to 0.41 children per woman in the Xiangyang district of Jiamusi city in China, which is only 20% of the generation-replacement fertilty of 2.1! However, I suppose that the number of births is not far away from the number of deaths and that the population in this district remains rather constant (without migration).

I wrote in 1999: "The psychon theory has very concrete consequences, for instance there must be a limit to the number of human souls, which according to the latest demographic data could be even less than 7 billion."

If the current world population actually is already around 6.7 billion, then the upper limit is rather 7.5 than 7 billion. Yet there is a big uncertainty in population figures. A good example is Bhutan:
"The Royal Government of Bhutan lists their country's population as 752,700 (2003). The CIA Factbook estimates the population at 2,327,849. What accounts for this discrepancy? One explanation given inside Bhutan is that the higher CIA numbers ultimately trace back to an inflated population number the Bhutanese government supplied to the United Nations in the early 1970s in order to gain entry into that body (the UN reportedly had a cutoff population of one million at that time -- see micronation for justifications in support of such a minimum). According to this theory the CIA population experts have retained this original inflated number year after year while adjusting it each year for normal population growth." (Wikipedia)
And what about 'demographic smoothing' transforming "Figure 1, Population of India, 2001 Census, Unsmoothed" into "Figure 2, Population of India, 2001 Census, Smoothed" in The Future Population of India?

In the light of
"An indicator of near saturation of a population is a decline in birth number despite an increase in women in reproductive age."
the difference between Figure 2 and Figure 1 is quite fundamental. Are there actually plausible facts making reasonable such a big transformation of 'unsmoothed' data?

Cheers, Wolfgang
wogoga is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th February 2008, 12:27 PM   #30
six7s
veretic
 
six7s's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 8,716
What is your aim in this thread?
  • To enlighten?

    If so, I'd suggest you dispense with the obfuscations, the obscurantarianisms and all the other big words and start using plain English AND answer simple questions BEFORE posting yet more complicated woo-speak

    You could start with mine

    Originally Posted by six7s View Post
    Wherefore 'therefore'?
  • To troll?

    If so, I'd suggest you retire gracefully rather than protracting an inevitable banning
__________________
Evolution and the rest of reality fascinates the be-jeebus out of me!
six7s is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th February 2008, 04:00 PM   #31
jsfisher
ETcorngods survivor
Moderator
 
jsfisher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 22,268
Originally Posted by wogoga View Post
At first we must ask whether the premises of panpsychistic evolution are logically consistent...<babble babble babble>

You seemed to have missed my prior post, so allow me to re-present it: If reincarnation is a trivial scientific fact, as you hypothesize, please provide a falsifiable prediction.
__________________
A proud member of the Simpson 15+7, named in the suit, Simpson v. Zwinge, et al., and founder of the ET Corn Gods Survivors Group.

"He's the greatest mod that never was!" -- Monketey Ghost
jsfisher is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th February 2008, 01:26 AM   #32
six7s
veretic
 
six7s's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 8,716
Originally Posted by six7s View Post
Hi Wolfgang,

Don't be disheartened by the laughing hyenas and dogs, I'm with you all the way
Originally Posted by wogoga View Post
In the thread Demography of Japan - Evidence of Reincarnation I showed that the demographic evolution of Japan constitutes strong evidence for demographic saturation and therefore also for reincarnation.
Up until the word 'therefore'

Wherefore 'therefore'?
Actually, having re-read the OP... I'd like to revise that...

I'm with you all the way up to the word 'thread'

Wherefore a 'thread'?
__________________
Evolution and the rest of reality fascinates the be-jeebus out of me!
six7s is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th February 2008, 05:46 AM   #33
wogoga
Critical Thinker
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 334
Originally Posted by jsfisher View Post
If reincarnation is a trivial scientific fact, as you hypothesize, please provide a falsifiable prediction.

If reductionist materialism is such a self-evident fact, as you assume, please provide a falsifiable prediction.

The predictive power of The Psychon Theory is much stronger than the predictive power of Darwinism. The reason is simple: the number of psychons having evolved on earth is limited. And isn't it obvious that the claim that only around 7 or 7.5 billion human souls have evolved is a falsifiable prediction? If the current demographic projections of UN come true, then my theory is simply wrong.

Cheers, Wolfgang
wogoga is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th February 2008, 07:02 AM   #34
jsfisher
ETcorngods survivor
Moderator
 
jsfisher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 22,268
Originally Posted by wogoga View Post
If reductionist materialism is such a self-evident fact, as you assume, please provide a falsifiable prediction.
Evasion attempt noted. Straw man noted.

Quote:
The predictive power of The Psychon Theory is much stronger than the predictive power of Darwinism. The reason is simple: the number of psychons having evolved on earth is limited. And isn't it obvious that the claim that only around 7 or 7.5 billion human souls have evolved is a falsifiable prediction? If the current demographic projections of UN come true, then my theory is simply wrong.
From where in your psychon hypothesis does the 7-7.5 billion number come from? It sure looks like you simply pulled a number out of the air that was a little bigger than the current world population. As such, that does not qualify as a falsifiable prediction of your psychon hypothesis.
__________________
A proud member of the Simpson 15+7, named in the suit, Simpson v. Zwinge, et al., and founder of the ET Corn Gods Survivors Group.

"He's the greatest mod that never was!" -- Monketey Ghost
jsfisher is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th February 2008, 07:20 AM   #35
Cuddles
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 18,538
Originally Posted by six7s View Post
If so, I'd suggest you dispense with the obfuscations, the obscurantarianisms and all the other big words and start using plain English AND answer simple questions BEFORE posting yet more complicated woo-speak
That's what I was going to say. Wogoga, you'd be doing yourself a big favour if you stopped all the waffle and long words. It doesn't make your ideas any more valid and it doesn't make you look clever, it just looks like you think you can fool people into taking you seriously by using long words. Everything you have said is nonsense, and will remain that way unless you provide actual evidence, rather than more waffle.

Last edited by Cuddles; 20th February 2008 at 07:21 AM.
Cuddles is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th February 2008, 07:22 AM   #36
Almo
Masterblazer
 
Almo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Montreal, Quebec
Posts: 6,839
Originally Posted by wogoga View Post
It is easy to ridicule the notion that enzymes can only efficiently work if they are animated by psychons (souls) having learned their tasks over millions of years of biological evolution.
Agreed.

Originally Posted by wogoga View Post
But from the point of view of pure reason (Kant) the hypothesis that dead particles are able to perform such complicated tasks as e.g. DNA wrapping and replication is simply untenable.

Cheers, Wolfgang
Not agreed.
__________________
Almo!
My Music Blog
"No society ever collapsed because the poor had too much." — LeftySergeant
"It may be that there is no body really at rest, to which the places and motions of others may be referred." –Issac Newton in the Principia
Almo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th February 2008, 08:09 AM   #37
bruto
Penultimate Amazing
 
bruto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Way way north of Diddy Wah Diddy
Posts: 23,424
Originally Posted by wogoga View Post
In the thread Demography of Japan - Evidence of Reincarnation
It is easy to ridicule the notion that enzymes can only efficiently work if they are animated by psychons (souls) having learned their tasks over millions of years of biological evolution. But from the point of view of pure reason ....the hypothesis that dead particles are able to perform such complicated tasks as DNA wrapping and replication is simply untenable.

Cheers, Wolfgang
Doesn't that kind of thing happen at the level of other living things, such as algae? Insects? You appear to be suggesting that all living things are ensouled, but is there a finite number of souls to go around there too? If so, what is that number? Is it even calculable, and if calculable is it useful? If not, then you need to explain the theory that humans alone have limited access to souls in some other way, because everything living has DNA, and if you redefine soul to mean life, then you have no theory; because if reincarnation exists across the boundaries of species (even if we exclude plants), how could the human population be limited in any practical way? There are probably more mosquitoes in my back yard on a summer day than there are people in Tokyo. A shift in the relative numbers that doubled the human population on earth would be trivial if all living things have souls.
__________________
I love this world, but not for its answers. (Mary Oliver)

Quand il dit "cuic" le moineau croit tout dire. (When he's tweeted the sparrow thinks he's said it all. (Jules Renard)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th February 2008, 08:16 AM   #38
JoeEllison
Cuddly Like a Koala Bear
 
JoeEllison's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 7,270
Huh?
JoeEllison is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th February 2008, 08:27 AM   #39
Stir
Anarchist In The System
 
Stir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 171
Originally Posted by quarky View Post
This might be the all-time worst web-site to be asking theological questions.

If it wasn't, I ask this one:

Why does God limp?
Because if he raised, everyone might fold
__________________
For every complex problem, there is a solution that is simple, neat, and wrong. -H.L.Mencken
... if I have been wrong in my agnosticism, when I die I'll walk up to God in a manly way and say, Sir, I made an honest mistake -H.L.Mencken
Stir is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th February 2008, 06:26 PM   #40
Gord_in_Toronto
Penultimate Amazing
 
Gord_in_Toronto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 18,647
Originally Posted by Cuddles View Post
We? Got a mouse in your pocket?



Yeah, but he said "quarks". Surely that's close enough.
OK. I'll give you 8 points out of the maximum 10.
__________________
"Reality is what's left when you cease to believe." Philip K. Dick
Gord_in_Toronto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Reply

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:39 AM.
Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

This forum began as part of the James Randi Education Foundation (JREF). However, the forum now exists as
an independent entity with no affiliation with or endorsement by the JREF, including the section in reference to "JREF" topics.

Disclaimer: Messages posted in the Forum are solely the opinion of their authors.