ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » Welcome to ISF » Welcome!

Notices

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags welcome

Closed Thread
Old 9th March 2008, 05:24 PM   #7561
Erhard Schmits
New Blood

mediums

Originally Posted by Aliscyn View Post
Hi,
I am a new member my name is Aliscyn and I am from Pitsburgh,Pa, I am married with 3 children. I have been with my husband since I was 15 and he was 17 are children are 18,17 and 14 I know teens !! I AM VERY VERY INTERESTED IN READING ABOUT MEDIUMS ARE THEY REAL OR NOT?
I would say real but have to be picked with great caution. I would say many of them are frauds without even realizing it. A lot of them have the ability of tuning in on you and reading your mind. That of course is a feat in itself. If you do not already have, study the Edgar Cayce phenomena
Erhard Schmits is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 10th March 2008, 01:06 PM   #7562
Red McWilliams
Student

Greetings forum.

I learned of Skepticism (i.e. what it really is) about three years ago when I deconverted from christianity. I read whatever I can get my hands on, and am fairly well versed in the various woo that abounds, and the science that tends to refute it.

My favorite author is Michael Shermer (which is ironic because I loathed him when I was a christian) and I even made it a point to visit Skeptic Society HQ when I visited Los Angeles last year.

I live in Texas, not far from Urepentant Sinner apparently and am a member of a few atheist oriented forums. I decided to join this forum because I'm planning on attending TAM6 and wanted to get to know some of the folks I'll be meeting in June!

I've been told that I use parenthetical notation too frequently (but I disagree).

Anyhow, I'm glad to be here.
Red McWilliams is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 10th March 2008, 03:00 PM   #7563
Mr. Skinny
Alien Cryogenic Engineer

Welcome, Red.

I won't be meeting you at TAM6, but good to know you.

I haven't yet been told that I use parenthetical notation too frequently (but I've done a self analysis, and know that I do).

Skinny
"Deities do not organize, they command." - Hokulele
Mr. Skinny is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 10th March 2008, 05:11 PM   #7564
articulett
Banned

I'm prone to ellipses abuse myself...

but so what?

Welcome...

Michael Shermer was once an evangelical Christian...

I probably wouldn't have liked him when he was. I like him a lot now. He's very friendly, and I always find him easy to talk to at TAM. We had a great discussion about Mormon underwear last time wondering how we could obtain some and what sort of testing we could do on it to see if it exhibited the properties purported.
articulett is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 10th March 2008, 06:41 PM   #7565
HghrSymmetry
View clearer from above.

Exactly what are those properties?
Old 10th March 2008, 09:23 PM   #7566
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Originally Posted by captain koolaid View Post
Arthwollipot. "Ancient Arts Fellowship". Saw them at HA07, I think. Did you attend that one?
Hmm. I'm not familiar with HA07. We were at a couple of events in Sydney last year, but none of them were called HA07 as far as I am aware.
Old 11th March 2008, 12:15 AM   #7567
Dr. Nancy Malik
Banned

My introduction

Hi

I am Dr. Nancy Malik
Dr. Nancy Malik is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 11th March 2008, 12:31 AM   #7568
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Hi Dr Malik. May I ask what you're a doctor of?
Old 11th March 2008, 02:27 AM   #7569
Professor Yaffle
Butterbeans and Breadcrumbs

Just in case Dr Malik doesn't respond, I suspect from her other posts so far that she is a homeopath.

Last edited by Professor Yaffle; 11th March 2008 at 02:34 AM.
Professor Yaffle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 11th March 2008, 03:58 AM   #7570
KansasCityShuffle
New Blood

Originally Posted by HghrSymmetry View Post
I'm curious about that, too
KansasCityShuffle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 11th March 2008, 05:24 AM   #7571
amb

Originally Posted by Erhard Schmits View Post
I would say real but have to be picked with great caution. I would say many of them are frauds without even realizing it. A lot of them have the ability of tuning in on you and reading your mind. That of course is a feat in itself. If you do not already have, study the Edgar Cayce phenomena
Real? Since when? Since time began, there has never been a true medium.
If their not downright frauds, they are self deluded. Not one has ever stood the test of science. That's why Randi still has his million dollars.
amb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 11th March 2008, 05:30 AM   #7572
amb

I think this underwear is made of rubber. It's supposed to stop lightning in case 'god' loses his temper and sends out a bolt or two.
amb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 11th March 2008, 05:46 AM   #7573
amb

[quote=UnrepentantSinner;3511672]I'm with you there brother. I can't see spending $1.25 (.96 Euro or what is it, like 30 pence to the dollar these days ) for water that's not any cleaner or healthier than what I can get out of any tap, spigot or radiator filling kiosk at any gas station. And that's not even counting the waste of the bottle production, transportation and filling and then the cost of transporting one of the densest consumable products on the planet to consumers who will, inevitably, fail to recycle the plastic container, etc. etc.

Glad to have another like me here.

Quote:
ambnp and C.B., there are a number of threads discussing the woo of high end audio equipment, especially cables. I'm sure if you guys check the "tags" and "search" functions at the top of the page you can find one you might want to weigh in on.
There is no woo involved in high end audio. You get what you pay for. I understand that to get a 25% improvement over a $1000 dollar system would cost in the vicinity of ten times that amount. As for cables, all that's needed is a fair quality double flex min. 20 gauge wire for speakers and anyone who claims to be able to hear the difference between that and a pair of cables costing hundreds of dollars are like christians, deluding themselves.
Old 11th March 2008, 02:13 PM   #7574
Nihilus
Thinker

Old, old JREF Forum member returning after roughly 5 years. I think the old databases may have been purged because my old account/username doesn't seem to exist anymore. Back then I went by: Paradox.

Either way...it's nice to be around a message board where I can again expect a propensity towards critical thinking.

Last edited by Nihilus; 11th March 2008 at 02:13 PM.
Nihilus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 11th March 2008, 03:10 PM   #7575
Prometheus
Acolyte of Víđarr

Originally Posted by Professor Yaffle View Post
Just in case Dr Malik doesn't respond, I suspect from her other posts so far that she is a homeopath.
Says so in her profile.
Don't be offended. I'm not calling you a serial killer. -- Ron Tomkins.
Prometheus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 11th March 2008, 08:48 PM   #7576
Mr. Skinny
Alien Cryogenic Engineer

Originally Posted by Nihilus View Post
Old, old JREF Forum member returning after roughly 5 years. I think the old databases may have been purged because my old account/username doesn't seem to exist anymore. Back then I went by: Paradox.

Either way...it's nice to be around a message board where I can again expect a propensity towards critical thinking.
I remember you, Paradox. Welcome back.

Didn't you use to use Mr. Spock as your avatar, or am I thinking of someone else?

Whatever, glad to see you've returned.

Skinny
Mr. Skinny is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 11th March 2008, 09:52 PM   #7577
UnrepentantSinner
A post by Alan Smithee

Is a reminder, this thread is for introductions and greetings. If you wish to debate issues, please take them to the proper subforums.

Originally Posted by Nihilus View Post

I remember you and your avatar that Skinny mentioned. Welcome back.
I am an American citizen who is part of American society and briefly served in the American armed forces. I use American dollars and pay taxes that support the American government. And yes, despite the editorial decison to change American politics to the nonsensical "USA politics" subforum, I follow and comment on American politics.
UnrepentantSinner is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 11th March 2008, 10:03 PM   #7578
BenHad
Scholar

Smile

Welcome to all the new and returning members. Pick a forum topic and join the fun

BenHad
BenHad is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 11th March 2008, 10:28 PM   #7579
Nihilus
Thinker

Smile

Originally Posted by Mr. Skinny View Post
I remember you, Paradox. Welcome back.

Didn't you use to use Mr. Spock as your avatar, or am I thinking of someone else?

Whatever, glad to see you've returned.

Skinny
Yes!

I found that picture hidden away on an old folder on one of my hard drives. It's already queued up to pop back up as soon as I hit 50 posts (again!).

Speaking of which...your avatar has stood the test of time as well.

It's great still seeing some familiar faces. I actually have some old saved excerpts from posts from back in the day (such as the JREF 'Chicken' thread).

Ah, nostalgia!
Nihilus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 11th March 2008, 10:29 PM   #7580
Nihilus
Thinker

Originally Posted by UnrepentantSinner View Post
Is a reminder, this thread is for introductions and greetings. If you wish to debate issues, please take them to the proper subforums.

I remember you and your avatar that Skinny mentioned. Welcome back.
I remember you as well. Thanks for the warm (re)welcome!
Old 11th March 2008, 10:34 PM   #7581
EyeOn
Scholar

hello...

New here...saying hi I'd like any comments on my first post about sleep paralysis. It's something I've been working on for a very long time. Presently in college as a biological sciences major to make it formal and do something good with it. I'm open to constructive criticism. I'm here to learn the questions I still have to answer for. Pick my brain.
EyeOn is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 12th March 2008, 03:43 AM   #7582
amb

EyeOn. I heard somewhere that a good wallop with a rubber mallet to the head at bedtime works wonders.
Jokes aside, welcome to the forum.
Old 12th March 2008, 06:48 AM   #7583
EyeOn
Scholar

Originally Posted by ambnp View Post
EyeOn. I heard somewhere that a good wallop with a rubber mallet to the head at bedtime works wonders.
Jokes aside, welcome to the forum.
Jokes aside, I could use a wallop with a rubber mallet to the head. I've been up since 10 am yesterday...LOL.

Thanks
EyeOn is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 12th March 2008, 08:47 AM   #7584
ptarmigan
New Blood

Hello,

I am a stay-at-home mom living with my family in Alaska. I have a math degree and worked in IT for a few years, but I gave it up to open a small home business (child-care). I was happy to avoid the 110 mile round-trip commute and see my family more. My husband commutes 1000 miles to and from the oil fields every 2 weeks to work as a cook at a camp on the arctic tundra. Our ten year old daughter is intensely interested in birds. We live in a semi-rural community and have access to almost all modern services. We home-school, which is a rather controversial topic in some circles. I'm a flat-out atheist, which makes the home-schooling experience even more controversial (most local home-schoolers do so for reasons of religion).

Right now, I'm part of a skeptical community of 1. Even my husband falls prone to bigfoot and UFO claims. I debate my mom occasionally regarding alternative medicine. Some of my friends think that I'm off my rocker, especially those that make use of aromatherapy products and chiropractic services.. A forum like this gives me a chance to find like-minded people.

Some day, I'd like to explore some of the ghost stories and lake monsters of Alaska. I am also interested in education and how to teach critical thinking skills to young people. Right now, I just make due with online forums and reading as much as I can.

Thanks,

->Teresa
ptarmigan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 12th March 2008, 09:51 AM   #7585
Prometheus
Acolyte of Víđarr

:
Don't be offended. I'm not calling you a serial killer. -- Ron Tomkins.
Prometheus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 12th March 2008, 03:33 PM   #7586
katjsha
Scholar

Hi to erxview welcome to the forum.
Old 12th March 2008, 07:50 PM   #7587
articulett
Banned

They have all these anecdotes about how the special "garments" spared people in fires and saved people through assorted calamities. They have little special symbolic stitching over the nipples and assorted other oddities.

http://www.i4m.com/think/temples/mormon-garments.htm

Oh, and they're crotchless.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg romney_mormon_underwear.jpg (47.0 KB, 6 views)

Last edited by articulett; 12th March 2008 at 07:54 PM.
articulett is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 12th March 2008, 09:42 PM   #7588
UnrepentantSinner
A post by Alan Smithee

Originally Posted by ptarmigan View Post
Hello,
Howdy Teresa and welcome to the forum. A number of us who were on The Amaz!ng Adventure 2 had a wonderful time visiting Alaska. We also have a few other members who live in your state, though probably not in your neck of the woods.

And you no longer are in a skeptical community of 1, you now are in one with thousands of members. It's a pleasure to have you join us.
I am an American citizen who is part of American society and briefly served in the American armed forces. I use American dollars and pay taxes that support the American government. And yes, despite the editorial decison to change American politics to the nonsensical "USA politics" subforum, I follow and comment on American politics.
UnrepentantSinner is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 13th March 2008, 12:01 AM   #7589
HghrSymmetry
View clearer from above.

Originally Posted by articulett View Post
They have all these anecdotes about how the special "garments" spared people in fires and saved people through assorted calamities. They have little special symbolic stitching over the nipples and assorted other oddities.

Interesting link and entertaining cartoon.
Thank you.

Hmm, since I've increased the power output in my "acceleration sport vehicle"
I've contemplated beefing up the differential to avoid failure.
However, perhaps I could use one of these garments to encase the center housing.
I wouldn't even have to cut the unmentionables due to them being crotchless, the drive shaft can pass through the opening.

My hunch being that the mystic properties will remain intact if the fabric isn't modified for access.

Last edited by HghrSymmetry; 13th March 2008 at 12:02 AM.
HghrSymmetry is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 13th March 2008, 12:09 AM   #7590
amb

Originally Posted by articulett View Post

My next door neighbor is a Mormon, and he recently visited Salt lake City and of course his main purpose was to visit the 'Temple'. He did say that it was obligatory to wear these ridiculous outfits before you can go in to the temple. I didn't realize they wear them continuously. Can't wait till he sticks his head over the fence to chat. Boy I'm going to have some fun.
Old 13th March 2008, 01:33 AM   #7591
Rik666
New Blood

G'Day to all from Southern Australia. I came upon this after i spent some reading and posting on the 911 Truth Movement Forums. Being a skeptic i found them interesting, that quickly changed to simply idiotic. Lesson to all Truthers don't like the obvious being stated to them... So here i am on a site with real intelligent people that has scientific answers to life's questions instead of aliens, government conspiracies, faked moonlandings, and even gunmen hiding on grassy knolls. Oh and trust me when i say a month on the truth forums will do your head in, those people are nuts.
Rik666 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 13th March 2008, 05:03 AM   #7592
zeusbheld
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by Rik666 View Post
G'Day to all from Southern Australia. I came upon this after i spent some reading and posting on the 911 Truth Movement Forums. Being a skeptic i found them interesting, that quickly changed to simply idiotic. Lesson to all Truthers don't like the obvious being stated to them... So here i am on a site with real intelligent people that has scientific answers to life's questions instead of aliens, government conspiracies, faked moonlandings, and even gunmen hiding on grassy knolls. Oh and trust me when i say a month on the truth forums will do your head in, those people are nuts.
welcome aboard!

i was in New York on 9/11, and rebutting some of the more shocking claims made by 'troofers' on other (non-troofer-related) fora indirectly led me here... a (sort of) similar path

as fora go it's a beacon of light for those lost in darkness without lamps, but quite a few show up with sunglasses or even blindfolds on, attempting to 'prove' something. keeps it entertaining...
zeusbheld is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 13th March 2008, 07:57 AM   #7593
Red McWilliams
Student

I know I've already introduced myself, but I just had to comment on how impressed I am with this forum. From the technical features to the extremely high quality of the posters, this place is top notch.

I have to admit, I'ma bit intimidated. While I'm not a moron, I do tend to keep my posts simple and somtimes just plain silly. The in-depth responses I see frequently make me want to turn the intensity dial to 11, but I'm afraid I don't have that kind of time.

Anyway, I'm still glad to be here.
Red McWilliams is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 13th March 2008, 09:27 PM   #7594
JEROME DA GNOME
Banned

Originally Posted by Red McWilliams View Post
I know I've already introduced myself, but I just had to comment on how impressed I am with this forum. From the technical features to the extremely high quality of the posters, this place is top notch.

I have to admit, I'ma bit intimidated. While I'm not a moron, I do tend to keep my posts simple and somtimes just plain silly. The in-depth responses I see frequently make me want to turn the intensity dial to 11, but I'm afraid I don't have that kind of time.

Anyway, I'm still glad to be here.
Welcome! Expel the thoughts you have with literary expression!

Shhh...remember you are anonymous, and this is a great proving ground for thoughts.
JEROME DA GNOME is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 14th March 2008, 05:07 PM   #7595
Third Eye Open
Graduate Poster

Hello, I'm new! This forum is awesome!
I'm surprised I haven't found it before. I am also impressed with the caliber of posters here, I was initially drawn here by the 'null physics' thread. I spent hours reading the whole thing and learned a lot about physics from all the posters there. (Schneibster especially, he has a degree I'm sure!)

Anyway, I'm glad there is a place like this around to keep all the crazies (or "woo's" as you call them) in line, and am happy to be part of it!
Third Eye Open is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 14th March 2008, 06:19 PM   #7596
articulett
Banned

Originally Posted by ambnp View Post
My next door neighbor is a Mormon, and he recently visited Salt lake City and of course his main purpose was to visit the 'Temple'. He did say that it was obligatory to wear these ridiculous outfits before you can go in to the temple. I didn't realize they wear them continuously. Can't wait till he sticks his head over the fence to chat. Boy I'm going to have some fun.
Yep... young ladies look for the tell-tale signs of a "return missionary"-- (ripe for marrying and super horny to boot)-- "panty lines"... just above the knee.

Really.

Last edited by articulett; 14th March 2008 at 06:20 PM.
Old 14th March 2008, 07:08 PM   #7597
HghrSymmetry
View clearer from above.

Hmm, I wonder if they outperform the old iron spiked chastity belts...you know, being endowed with mystical properties and all.
Old 14th March 2008, 07:38 PM   #7598
Mr. Skinny
Alien Cryogenic Engineer

Originally Posted by Third Eye Open View Post
Hello, I'm new! This forum is awesome!
I'm surprised I haven't found it before. I am also impressed with the caliber of posters here, I was initially drawn here by the 'null physics' thread. I spent hours reading the whole thing and learned a lot about physics from all the posters there. (Schneibster especially, he has a degree I'm sure!)

Anyway, I'm glad there is a place like this around to keep all the crazies (or "woo's" as you call them) in line, and am happy to be part of it!
Welcome to the forum, TEO.

Yeah, the intellect here is attractive. It's what drew me here in the first place.

I don't have the education of most here, but I am Forum God, which is a sorta special title that members here have let me keep out of the goodness of their kind hearts. I think I only keep the title because I'm member #295 or something like that. That, and they're afraid I'll smite them.

Anyhow, the people here are great. Lovely folks. There are poets, paupers, pirates, pawns, and kings here. Enjoy them all.
Old 14th March 2008, 08:49 PM   #7599
The skepTick
Student

Hi all from just outside the Washington, DC beltway. Although I've always been a skeptic, Randi was my first introduction to the organized skeptic world. I had a chance several years ago to give him a tour of parts of NASA at Johnson Space Center in Houston, TX. This was back when the web was crawling out of the BBS muck, when there were no such things as blogs or podcasts or youtube. Google was still in the hands of a couple of college students and dark energy was just making its way onto the scene.

Randi's was my first foray into experiencing "push" technology...that is, I signed up for his email newsletters before any others. Lately, I've become a little more active via blogging and posting in other forums, and I plan to visit here regularly.

So, nice meeting everyone. See you in the forums!
The skepTick is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 14th March 2008, 10:26 PM   #7600
UnrepentantSinner
A post by Alan Smithee

Welcome The skepTick. Some of us prefer to abbreviate user IDs, do you have a preference or would TsT work for you?
Closed Thread

International Skeptics Forum » Welcome to ISF » Welcome!