ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » Welcome to ISF » Skeptical Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 6th April 2008, 03:36 AM   #41
tim
Lasiorhinus latifrons
Combat Division

Originally Posted by sadluxation View Post
I'll be at the venue with Teek sorting out stuff too. I think we have about 200 booked already. Be swift my padawans.

I am not your padawan. I'm too old.

Hubbard's Law: Don't take life too seriously; you won't get out of it alive.
tim is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th April 2008, 03:54 AM   #42
Mojo
Mostly harmless

Booked by 'phone on Friday afternoon.

"The poor mystic homeopaths feel like petted house-cats thrown at high flood on the breaking ice." - Leon Trotsky
Mojo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th April 2008, 05:05 AM   #43
sadluxation
Critical Thinker

We should be all done by 9.30 as we get kicked out of Conway Hall at 10pm.

If you are thinking of staying over, I had a look at a few flea-pits. I mean, hotels.
The cheapest I've found in Bloomsbury is £42 for a single.
County Hotel, Upper Woburn Place London WC1H 0JW

If you're happy with a short trip on the tube to Earls Court, you can find yourselves a hotel for £55.
Lord Jim, 23-25 Penywern Road, Earls Court, Kensington & Chelsea, SW5 9TT

If you want a short walk to Holborn, the Wellington Pub opposite Waterloo station has rooms for £75.

There's a list of budget hotels here, but I haven't checked availabilty of rooms for the 19th.

Nothing is better than homoeopathy!
sadluxation is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th April 2008, 08:17 AM   #44
volatile
Scholar and a Gentleman

Weird question - how are we to distinguish we sceptics from regular pub-goers? In other words - what the Dickens do you all look like?
Old 6th April 2008, 08:44 AM   #45
brodski
Tea-Time toad

Originally Posted by volatile View Post
Weird question - how are we to distinguish we sceptics from regular pub-goers? In other words - what the Dickens do you all look like?
I look a lot like you, except I have a dove for a face.

(I'll post a pictuer nearer the time)
brodski is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th April 2008, 09:12 AM   #46
BillC
Bazooka Joe

We'll all be wearing false white Randi beards. Be sure to bring yours.
BillC is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th April 2008, 10:39 AM   #47
Mojo
Mostly harmless

Brodski will be the one wearing balloons.

"The poor mystic homeopaths feel like petted house-cats thrown at high flood on the breaking ice." - Leon Trotsky
Mojo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th April 2008, 10:47 AM   #48
brodski
Tea-Time toad

Originally Posted by Mojo View Post
Brodski will be the one wearing balloons.
The dove burst them
brodski is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th April 2008, 12:04 PM   #49
Rat
Not bored. Never bored.

I look like this
<-----
Rat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th April 2008, 12:35 PM   #50
Lothian
should be banned

I'll be there.
Lothian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th April 2008, 12:43 PM   #51
brodski
Tea-Time toad

Originally Posted by Lothian View Post
I'll be there.
fantastic! Will you be bringing the duck?
Old 6th April 2008, 01:00 PM   #52
Jamie Walton
New Blood

Is this a joke??? Is this for real???

I just bought a ticket. I can't believe it.

What a line-up!!! I'm stunned!!! I never thought I'd ever get the oppertunity to see him.
Jamie Walton is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th April 2008, 02:40 PM   #53
Civilized Worm
Graduate Poster

Booked my ticket, now I just need to figure out how I'm getting there and where I'm staying.
Civilized Worm is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th April 2008, 02:53 PM   #54
Rat
Not bored. Never bored.

Hmm, I normally stay in the County Hall when in London, but it's full. Looks like I'll be in Euston, which should be easily walkable. Cheaper, too, in fact.
Rat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th April 2008, 03:04 PM   #55
Lothian
should be banned

Originally Posted by brodski View Post
fantastic! Will you be bringing the duck?
Duck ? I think you are confusing me with someone else.
Lothian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th April 2008, 03:38 PM   #56
Lothian
should be banned

Originally Posted by Rat View Post
Hmm, I normally stay in the County Hall when in London, but it's full. Looks like I'll be in Euston, which should be easily walkable. Cheaper, too, in fact.
I am stopping at Kings Cross. The hotel sounds really nice and intimate. The receptionist was very helpful; she bent the rules and charged me for the night. Apparently it is normally an hourly charge.
Old 6th April 2008, 04:07 PM   #57
BillC
Bazooka Joe

Originally Posted by Jamie Walton View Post
Is this a joke??? Is this for real???

I just bought a ticket. I can't believe it.

What a line-up!!! I'm stunned!!! I never thought I'd ever get the oppertunity to see him.
Glad you're coming. Oh, and welcome to the forum!
BillC is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th April 2008, 03:36 AM   #58
Lothian
should be banned

Originally Posted by brodski View Post
So, who's up making an afternoon/ evening of it? We haven't had a UK forumite social since tim and Lynn's xmas do.
Does anyone fancy meeting in a local pub mid-afternoon? Make it a micro-tam

The Penderels Oak, home of the Skeptics in the Pub is pretty near the venue and none too shabby.

Thoughts?
Sounds like a plan. I'll be the tattooed one in the hat.
Originally Posted by Mojo View Post
Slightly further away, but the Lamb is a triffic pub.
Originally Posted by Gib View Post
Yep, I'll probably be able to meet up at the Penderel's Oak before the event. See you there.
Ok so it looks like the Penderel's Oak (although I might have to stop at the Lamb on route. It is a long way from Kings Cross to Holburn without a drink).

So all we need now is a time and I can sort my train ticket out.
Old 7th April 2008, 03:49 AM   #59
volatile
Scholar and a Gentleman

Thing's at 6, so how about a loose mingle from 1?
Old 7th April 2008, 04:07 AM   #60
Rasmus
Philosopher

I just bought a ticket!

... now I have to figure out how I can actually get to London ... *sighs*
Old 7th April 2008, 05:37 AM   #61
Gib
Scholar

volatile, that's 5 hours of drinking..
Not that you have to drink steadily for all that time, but, well, it's always tempting in a pub...
I'm not sure when I'll get there, but I could be co-erced into a late lunch.
Gib is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th April 2008, 05:48 AM   #62
Lothian
should be banned

Not that you have to drink steadily for all that time, but, well, it's always tempting in a pub...
It is a Weatherspoons so they will do food, tea & coffee as well as soft drinks.

Last edited by Lothian; 7th April 2008 at 05:50 AM.
Old 7th April 2008, 05:50 AM   #63
volatile
Scholar and a Gentleman

The time period was to permit some time out before the event to nip off for food...
Old 7th April 2008, 07:26 AM   #64
sleepy_lioness
Muse

Me me me! I've booked my ticket.

Will see you in Penderel's Oak, if it isn't too late to put in a vote for the Lamb ... come on, PO is a sixties-style concrete building on a main road, housing a soulless Wetherspoons, while the Lamb is a gorgeous Victorian pub complete with original decorations and serving a mean real ale to a clientele of Bloomsbury intellectuals from the nearby universities (and didn't Dickens used to drink there, or something)? :
sleepy_lioness is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th April 2008, 07:43 AM   #65
Gib
Scholar

I change my vote to the Lamb....

How could I not ?
Gib is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th April 2008, 07:45 AM   #66
brettDbass
Kurious

Yay for me, I haz tikketz!

Is anyone coming from the Leicester area and not wanting to stop in London overnight? I have spare seats in my car.
Old 7th April 2008, 07:56 AM   #67
Lothian
should be banned

I have no problem with the Lamb except I recall there isn't a great amount of room. If a largish group turns up it could be tricky getting enough seats together.
Old 7th April 2008, 08:43 AM   #68
sleepy_lioness
Muse

That's a good point. I s'pose Penderel's Oak is nearer the venue too.
sleepy_lioness is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th April 2008, 08:43 AM   #69
sadluxation
Critical Thinker

You could always book the upstairs function room at the Lamb for £30, if you're really feeling flush?

sadluxation is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th April 2008, 04:54 PM   #70
sadluxation
Critical Thinker

I've just been told that Richard Wiseman will be on BBC London to give this event a big plug - and talk about mediums. You can see the story here when it comes online tomorrow?: http://www.bbc.co.uk/london/tv/telev...es/index.shtml

Old 8th April 2008, 02:18 AM   #71
glosrob
New Blood

My partner and I will be there too.
It will be an interesting dash back to Waterloo to try to get the train back to Plymouth
glosrob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th April 2008, 03:38 AM   #72
Gib
Scholar

I'm sure if anyone misses their train due to a too-interesting evening, that London skeptics' couches will be available. I've got one for anyone caught short.
Old 8th April 2008, 04:36 AM   #73
Rasmus
Philosopher

I'm sure if anyone misses their train due to a too-interesting evening, that London skeptics' couches will be available. I've got one for anyone caught short.
Gib, I would love to take you up on that. It looks like I'll have no chance of getting a flight back home after the event and I'd much rather buy you beer or dinner or both or something than invest in a hotel.
Old 8th April 2008, 04:47 AM   #74
Gib
Scholar

Rasmus, I sent you a PM with my details. Truffles, caviar and imported beer will be fine.
Old 8th April 2008, 07:10 AM   #75
Rasmus
Philosopher

Rasmus, I sent you a PM with my details. Truffles, caviar and imported beer will be fine.
I've just booked my flight so I have a good couple of days to find a store carrying all that
Old 8th April 2008, 07:45 AM   #76
Blue Bubble
Sharper than a thorn

Unhappy

Bummer, bummer, bummer

I can't make it.

Enjoy the day, all of you lot.
Blue Bubble is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th April 2008, 08:54 AM   #77
Gib
Scholar

The security mob at the airport these days don't let you on with liquids, so I'll let you off from the beer.
Old 8th April 2008, 09:09 AM   #78
Jamie Walton
New Blood

Originally Posted by glosrob View Post
My partner and I will be there too.
It will be an interesting dash back to Waterloo to try to get the train back to Plymouth

No way, I'm travelling from Plymouth too but am staying in London till the next day (don't know where yet though)
Jamie Walton is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th April 2008, 09:21 AM   #79
Rasmus
Philosopher

The security mob at the airport these days don't let you on with liquids, so I'll let you off from the beer.
I can always buy some beer after passing security, and if not I am sure there are places in London (well hidden, though, I'm sure) where preferred customers might be served a pint or two
Old 8th April 2008, 11:29 AM   #80
sleepy_lioness
Muse

Originally Posted by Rasmus View Post
I can always buy some beer after passing security, and if not I am sure there are places in London (well hidden, though, I'm sure) where preferred customers might be served a pint or two
Given the recent tax rises on alcohol, you might want to consider taking out a second mortgage ...

International Skeptics Forum » Welcome to ISF » Skeptical Events