ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags stop sylvia browne

Old 21st April 2008, 09:17 AM   #1
RSLancastr

StopSylviaBrowne - Browne and 9/11

New article up:

http://www.stopsylvia.com/arti...neand911.shtml
Sylvia Browne and 9/11
Examining some of Browne's statements about a national tragedy.

Curious about Sylvia Browne? Read about her at www.StopSylvia.com.

Ever wonder "What's the Harm?" with psychics, alternative medicine, etc?
RSLancastr is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st April 2008, 09:32 AM   #2
JoeTheJuggler
Penultimate Amazing

Nice article.

As a juggler, I sometimes get booked at parties with various psychics, fortune-tellers, graphologists and palm-readers. I always assumed that these people were all strictly entertainers. That is, I had no idea that most of them--even booked as party entertainment--think they have some sort of gift. (I've known at least some that don't. I knew some drag queens where the fortune telling stuff was just an excuse for guests to sit down and talk with them while they acted extremely flamboyant.)

A year or so after 9/11, I was with one of these "psychics" and started teasing her with a line stolen from Mad TV: "You see the future, right? Where the hell were you on September 10, 2001!"

I expected a chuckle, but instead got an answer that began, "It's funny you ask, because I really felt something was going to happen. . . ."

Yeah, right.

Scoundrels.
Old 21st April 2008, 09:42 AM   #3
Empress
Piggish

Okay, much as I've hated Sylvia Browne in the past, this does it for me. I officially want to punch her lights out. She is a disgusting, repulsive slime who does nothing but take up space that could be utilized for good. If someone did something ugly to her, I wouldn't life a finger to stop them.

Okay, I'd better shut up before I get myself banned. Sick, sick woman. Good job, Robert. You maintained an excellent tone--much better than I could have done. Kudos.

Old 21st April 2008, 09:56 AM   #4
ravdin
Illuminator

Twisted, cynical, and sickening.

But the article doesn't lower SB in my estimation. I don't think that would be possible anymore.
ravdin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st April 2008, 09:58 AM   #5
EeneyMinnieMoe
Philosopher

Nice!

I think you wrote exactly the appropriate article here. Anyone who would take advantage of 9/11 in this manner deserves a good tongue-lashing. More than a tongue-lashing, as a matter of fact.

Hmm, I seem to have caught an inconsistency on her part:

November 1, 2006 Wednesday

MONTEL WILLIAMS, HOST

Roll with it. Yes, ma'am, you had a question for Sylvia.

FEMALE SEVEN, AUDIENCE MEMBER

My brother died on 9/11. I would just like to know...

SYLVIA BROWNE, BEST SELLING AUTHOR AND WORLD RENOWNED PSYCHIC

I'm sorry, darling?

My brother died on 9/11, so I just wanna know if there's anything--'cause we never heard anything about him.

No, honey, he--that's what I just said, he did make it. But he does come in dreams.

Thank you.

But let me tell you this. Some of them didn't, unfortunately, but he went real quick.

Thank you.

And here's an instance where she seems to wiggle out of the question of did she feel it at the time:

September 24, 2003 Wednesday

Unidentified Woman #14: Hi, Sylvia. I lost my husband 9/11, and because it was such a tragic passing...

Ms. BROWNE: Terrible.

Unidentified Woman #14: ...I never had the feeling that he would be able to reconnect with us...

Ms. BROWNE: Oh, sure he would.

Unidentified Woman #14: ...and my three children in any way.

Ms. BROWNE: Absolutely.

Unidentified Woman #14: Do you see him ma--giving us a sign...

Ms. BROWNE: Yeah, he moves things around.

Unidentified Woman #14: ...or seeing our lives at all?

Ms. BROWNE: He moves things around. He also, which is very characteristic, sends birds around. Honey, just because they have a trauma death doesn't mean they don't make it to the other side and they can't connect.

Unidentified Woman #14: Do you--do you see him seeing any part of our lives? My daughter just has a bat mitzvah. Do you see that he--he under...

Ms. BROWNE: Yeah, but he says that he--he talks to her and she's the one that actually sees him in dreams. So I'd listen to her...

Unidentified Woman #14: Thanks.

Ms. BROWNE: ...'cause she's the most psychic one, do you know what I mean? Yeah.

Unidentified Woman #14: Thank you.

WILLIAMS: You know, just--just another side, when it comes to 9/11--I mean, we've now had a little bit of time between this but...

Ms. BROWNE: Yeah, but it's still...

WILLIAMS: ...there were a lot of people--Sylvia, this is just a question I've had for people like yourself.

Ms. BROWNE: Right.

WILLIAMS: Was that as big a disturbance in the force, if you will, as...

Ms. BROWNE: In the atmosphere, in--in anything...

WILLIAMS: In the atmosphere? I mean, th--tw--that many people dying at the exact same time?

Ms. BROWNE: I know, and you know what's amazing about them? Like I said, I went down to ground zero because I was convinced that, you know, if there was any souls that were, you know, stuck--no one was stuck, Montel. And I've been to places where there were civil wars and there's ghosts, and you know, Revolutionary War, there's ghosts. There are no ghosts in that area, none. So it just shows you that the angels--talking about angels again--took them all. People even mention to me when th--I ask for--they said that they actually saw angels. People saw angels in the sky. I mean, people saw angels everywhere around that.

WILLIAMS: Yes, ma'am?

She couldn't predict 9/11, couldn't provide any information about it after the fact, all she could do was advertise her cruise, but here she is giving a family memeber information about it! Oneo f several times she did so, notabene.

November 17, 2004

WILLIAMS: Yes, ma'am, you had a question for Sylvia.
Unidentified Woman #2: Hi, Sylvia. My girlfriend, Lucy, died on 9/11. The last time some--somebody spoke to her was about 8:30 in the morning. Her family's trying to figure out where she was when those planes hit.
Ms. BROWNE: She was in the building. She was actually, strangely enough, entering the building.
Woman #2: OK.
Ms. BROWNE: Yeah. But let me tell you something, and I've said this before. No one--which is so unusual--got caught in between in 9/11. I mean, I can go to the Civil War, you know, places, like I've said, and find ghosts. There's no ghosts from 9/11.
Woman #2: OK, thank you.

Last edited by EeneyMinnieMoe; 21st April 2008 at 10:46 AM.
EeneyMinnieMoe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st April 2008, 09:59 AM   #6
Locknar
Sum of all evils tm
Administrator

RSL - You have one error that I can see....

Originally Posted by StopSylviaBrowne.com
...I have become less objective in this article than I should have been.
I see no place in the article where you were anything less then totally objective. Well done.

Speaking as someone who was "there" during the attacks that day, her willingness to use this event to her own advantage is simply despicable beyond words.

Of course, this does not come as a surprise as she has made a career (especially on Montel) of doing just that...taking other peoples tragedy and turning it into her advantage.

Last edited by Locknar; 21st April 2008 at 10:14 AM.
Locknar is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st April 2008, 10:05 AM   #7
Storm Warning
Graduate Poster

C'mon Robert, you don't expect her to be everywhere now, do you? I mean, she had important things to take care of in the days leading up to 9/11. Things like...ummm...celebrity breakups - ya know, if an A-list celebrity had been in the towers I'm sure she would have seen it. And another thing.........

........ahh, screw it. Someone should just kick her in the balls. And before you say anything, she's got bigger balls than anyone I know.

Last edited by Storm Warning; 21st April 2008 at 10:06 AM.
Storm Warning is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st April 2008, 10:58 AM   #8
Macoy
Graduate Poster

I imagine that when she talks of 'focusing of anger', that she was advised that there would be fallout, and that there would be anger and dismay directed at her and her ghastly cohorts when the dust had settled a little.

So, rather than showing any concern for those affected by the disaster, she was thinking only of covering her capacious backside.

This all shows the level of of arrogance and stupidity that permeates this appalling organisation of hypocrites.
Macoy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st April 2008, 11:22 AM   #9
Empress
Piggish

Originally Posted by Locknar View Post
I see no place in the article where you were anything less then totally objective. Well done.
I agree, Locknar. I could not have maintained such an objective air. Nor, I think could most of us. We as a country were so traumatized by the attacks that even this many years later we're still incredibly emotional about it.

Robert, you tone was perfect. I commend you; I could not have done the same.
Old 21st April 2008, 11:23 AM   #10
UncaStuart
Student

The whole "charting" thing boggles the mind. How does that work, exactly? Let's see, you get thousands of people born in different places at different times somehow getting on the same wave length before they were born to make sure they would either be in the towers or on the planes so that they might teach the rest of us a lesson. How old were the oldest victims? Were some of these "charts" put together in 1918? How young were the youngest? Some bodiless spirit in early 2001 makes a "chart" for being born in May 2001, and thinks, "Gee, these other guys have been charted to die with thousands others a few months after I want to be born. What the hell, sign me up!" Crazy.

How people can listen to Browne talk about this kind of stuff and still believe makes me want to weep for humanity.
UncaStuart is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st April 2008, 12:27 PM   #11
padego
Scholar

I've just discovered that Ms. Browne has a stop here on May 13th, tickets range from 100-165.00 Can. for 2.5 hours of nonsense.
Gag me with a spoon...
padego is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st April 2008, 12:52 PM   #12
Tamazon
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by padego View Post
I've just discovered that Ms. Browne has a stop here on May 13th, tickets range from 100-165.00 Can. for 2.5 hours of nonsense.
Gag me with a spoon...
Ah yes, I just found out that she is making a stop on her farewell tour here in Edmonton on May 11th. I only know because we sell TicketMaster at work and a couple of guys in their mid-twenties came in yesterday and asked for Sylvia Browne tickets. Before I could stop myself I blurted out "Oh tell me you're not!?"

Luckily they were for the sister of one of the guys. The other guy didn't even really know who she was so I patiently explained to him that she is someone who deserves to be thrown in a dungeon and eaten by rats. It actually pained me to print out the tickets and I hope I can hold my tongue if a real fan comes to buy tickets lest I get myself canned. The guy's jaw nearly hit the ground when I told him each ticket was $140.00 plus fees. Not even the most expensive at $165.00.

I did tell him though to get his sister to check out the SSB site. Hopefully he will. Oh Robert, I really wish I could go so I could secretly film it to give you more ammo but that is way to rich for my blood.

Please help to STOP Sylvia Browne!
Tamazon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st April 2008, 01:29 PM   #13
Monza
Alta Viro

Good job as usual, Robert. This is a difficult subject and I think you wrote the article in a very professional manner.

As for Sylvia, she just gets more disgusting with each tidbit of information I learn about her. Considering the courage and humanity that many people displayed on that day and the days after, it just makes her pathetic attempt at self-promotion even more vile.
Monza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st April 2008, 01:33 PM   #14
WhatWouldZeusDo
Student

I have no idea how you were able to remain calm in writing that. I don't think I'd be able to avoid using very bannable language when the shill for the cruise came up.
WhatWouldZeusDo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st April 2008, 01:40 PM   #15
Hawthorne
Scholar

She did the same thing with Steve Irwin - after his death hit the news, Sylvia claimed that she "knew" that morning that he was going to die and she either tried to call but couldn't get ahold of anyone or that there wasn't time to call and warn him...PATHETIC any way you slice it.

I can't even watch old footage of 9/11 without collapsing into tears, so to turn that event into some sort of self-promotional, self-indulgent, crap-fest is just sickening to me. There isn't one person in her organization that can say "Look, maybe you should pass on this one"?
Hawthorne is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st April 2008, 02:23 PM   #16
RSLancastr

Originally Posted by JoeTheJuggler View Post
Nice article.
Thanks, Joe.

Quote:
I expected a chuckle, but instead got an answer that began, "It's funny you ask, because I really felt something was going to happen. . . ."
Sickening.

Originally Posted by Empress View Post
Okay, much as I've hated Sylvia Browne in the past, this does it for me.
You say that so often it's lost all its meaning. But I know what you mean.

Quote:
Good job, Robert. You maintained an excellent tone--much better than I could have done. Kudos.
Thanks, Empress.

Originally Posted by ravdin View Post
Twisted, cynical, and sickening.

But the article doesn't lower SB in my estimation. I don't think that would be possible anymore.
Don't bet on it, ravdin.

Originally Posted by EeneyMinnieMoe View Post
I think you wrote exactly the appropriate article here. Anyone who would take advantage of 9/11 in this manner deserves a good tongue-lashing. More than a tongue-lashing, as a matter of fact.
Thanks, Eeney. I will look into the possibility of using the Montel quotes in a follow-up article.

Well, I did say "perhaps." Thanks, Locknar.

Quote:
Speaking as someone who was "there" during the attacks that day, her willingness to use this event to her own advantage is simply despicable beyond words.
Who does she think she is? Kaz?

Quote:
Of course, this does not come as a surprise as she has made a career (especially on Montel) of doing just that...taking other peoples tragedy and turning it into her advantage.
It's her stock in trade.

Originally Posted by Storm Warning View Post
I mean, she had important things to take care of in the days leading up to 9/11. Things like...ummm...celebrity breakups
Yes, the important things.

Originally Posted by Macoy View Post
This all shows the level of of arrogance and stupidity that permeates this appalling organisation of hypocrites.
No argument here, Macoy.

Robert, you tone was perfect. I commend you; I could not have done the same.
Thanks, Empress. There were several sections I rewrote multiple times to get some of the anger out of them.

Originally Posted by UncaStuart View Post
The whole "charting" thing boggles the mind.
Yup. There's a whole article in there.

Originally Posted by padego View Post
But hey, it's her "farewell tour"!

Originally Posted by Tamazon View Post
I only know because we sell TicketMaster at work and a couple of guys in their mid-twenties came in yesterday and asked for Sylvia Browne tickets. Before I could stop myself I blurted out "Oh tell me you're not!?"

Quote:
Oh Robert, I really wish I could go so I could secretly film it to give you more ammo but that is way to rich for my blood.
I appreciate the thought, Tamazon!

Originally Posted by Monza View Post
Good job as usual, Robert. This is a difficult subject and I think you wrote the article in a very professional manner.
Thanks, Monza.

Quote:
As for Sylvia, she just gets more disgusting with each tidbit of information I learn about her. Considering the courage and humanity that many people displayed on that day and the days after, it just makes her pathetic attempt at self-promotion even more vile.
Agreed.

[quote=WhatWouldZeusDo;3639596]I have no idea how you were able to remain calm in writing that. I don't think I'd be able to avoid using very bannable language when the shill for the cruise came up.[/QUOTEThanks, WWZD. You should have seen the first draft!

RSLancastr is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st April 2008, 02:24 PM   #17
ExMinister
RSL Acolyte

You were both objective and outraged - commendable and very well presented.

I think a secondary point you made was also excellent regarding Sylvia's excuse that she can't see things that are supposed to happen, while claiming that everything in our lives (except one area, considered the option line) is charted/supposed to happen, thus charging $750 to not see anything. She gets away with these outrageous contradictions. I sincerely hope this also will make people think.
Old 21st April 2008, 02:25 PM   #18
RSLancastr

Originally Posted by Hawthorne View Post
She did the same thing with Steve Irwin - after his death hit the news, Sylvia claimed that she "knew" that morning that he was going to die and she either tried to call but couldn't get ahold of anyone or that there wasn't time to call and warn him...PATHETIC any way you slice it.
I wasn't aware of that one, Hawthorne. When/where did she say this?

Old 21st April 2008, 02:37 PM   #19
Locknar
Sum of all evils tm
Administrator

Originally Posted by RSLancastr View Post
Who does she think she is? Kaz?
SB's not crossed that line; I think even she realizes she can't make that (ie. being there) up unlike Kaz of course.
Old 21st April 2008, 02:56 PM   #20
NobbyNobbs
Gazerbeam's Protege

Man, she disgusts me. It takes a lot for me to say this about someone, but SB qualifies: I really hate her.

/nitpick/ Robert, in the answer she gives to the question by BrusselSprouts, the word "tragedy" is misspelled.
NobbyNobbs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st April 2008, 03:11 PM   #21
TheRedWorm
I AM the Red Worm!

Words fail. They truly *********** fail.

As usual, he doesn't understand the relevant sciences, can't Google for the right thing, and appears to rely on the notion that a word salad liberally sprinkled with Google Croutons will make his argument seem coherent. -JayUtah
TheRedWorm is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st April 2008, 03:24 PM   #22
RSLancastr

SB's not crossed that line; I think even she realizes she can't make that (ie. being there) up unlike Kaz of course.
True.

Originally Posted by NobbyNobbs View Post
/nitpick/ Robert, in the answer she gives to the question by BrusselSprouts, the word "tragedy" is misspelled.
That is how it was spelled in the original. When I quote text, I try to quote it exactly as is, mistakes and all (you can see this in many of the email articles on the site).

I have also chosen, for better or worse, to avoid the use of "[sic]" to mark such typos and misspellings.

So, whoever was typing for Browne during the chat (I seriously doubt that it was her) spelled it "tradegy." But it was, after all, an online chat. I would hate to be judged on my typos during chat sessions.

There were other places in the chat where it seemed to be more than just typos, such as (emphasis mine):

Originally Posted by Sylvia_Browne_Live_says
Sylvia_Browne_Live says: I've addressed this at some of my lectures, as horrendous as it was, those people charted to come down at this time. They were to sacrifice to make us more cohesive and patriotic. We were getting too complacive and smug. God didn't take them, they charted to come at this time.
But again, it was a chat session.

Originally Posted by TheRedWorm View Post
Words fail. They truly *********** fail.
Understood, Worm.

Old 21st April 2008, 05:30 PM   #23
Minarvia
fading orb

Great article, Robert! I am probably about as angry as you about her callous exploitation of the 9/11 tragedy. But then that's how these sickos operate.

I, too, want to know where and when she said anything about Steve Irwin. Hawthorne, are you sure it was Sylvia and not John (first name synonomous with a toilet) Edward?
Minarvia is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd April 2008, 12:53 AM   #24
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger

This must be one of the few articles where you wrote most of the content. It clearly shows your superior writing skills. I just go green with envy.
Old 22nd April 2008, 04:49 AM   #25
Niobe
Sons of Dis

"the enormity of our growth in humanitarianism, decency, courage, integrity, kindness, compassion, and sense of unity"

Hahah oh Sylvia, you use the words, but you don't live them.

edit: Of course that should be: "Oh Sylvia, there's only one way your enormity has grown".

Last edited by Niobe; 22nd April 2008 at 04:50 AM.
Niobe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd April 2008, 05:25 AM   #26
Hawthorne
Scholar

Originally Posted by Minarvia View Post
I, too, want to know where and when she said anything about Steve Irwin. Hawthorne, are you sure it was Sylvia and not John (first name synonomous with a toilet) Edward?
No, I am fairly certain it was Sylvia - b/c she mentioned it was a conversation with her granddaughter. I can't remember where I read that - let me do some digging around - I do remember thinking "How would she have known which phone number to call if he was out in the field?" I also remember noting that this kind of thing - getting the information too late to do anything about it - seemed to happen fairly frequently with her. It might have been something she said in a lecture or on Montel.

If I find the reference, I'll be sure to post it...and email you RSL.

Last edited by Hawthorne; 22nd April 2008 at 05:54 AM. Reason: I forgot something
Hawthorne is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd April 2008, 05:46 AM   #27
Cueshark
Thinker

Nice article Robert.

There's no limit to how obscenely distasteful Sylvia Browne can get. This article proves that.

Couple of typos? - 'yet she charge' and 'but they day will come'
Cueshark is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd April 2008, 07:29 AM   #28
Kilgore Trout
Wuse

Great article, in part because I think it's about as level headed as the rest of your articles and surely couldn't have been easy. With that say, the subject matter is simply disgusting.

I had already thought the charting business was goofy, but this takes it to a whole new level.
Old 22nd April 2008, 10:33 AM   #29
Blackwell
Graduate Poster

Okay, much as I've hated Sylvia Browne in the past, this does it for me. I officially want to punch her lights out. She is a disgusting, repulsive slime who does nothing but take up space that could be utilized for good. If someone did something ugly to her, I wouldn't life a finger to stop them.

Okay, I'd better shut up before I get myself banned. Sick, sick woman. Good job, Robert. You maintained an excellent tone--much better than I could have done. Kudos.

Seconded.

Excellent article as always, Robert.
(I noticed one small typo -- ""Triad of Jordon")

And yea, the Lord did text unto the Philistines...
U guys have to stop s1nnig. I totaly <3 U guys 4ever but I will pwn U when I CUL8ER and U will be all OMG! and WTF! and I be LOL!!! - Psiload
Blackwell is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd April 2008, 10:37 AM   #30
FriedMahooga
New Blood

I'd just like to add my support to the other posters who say that you hit the right tone with this article, RSL. I really don't think you need to worry about not being objective enough. Although it's clear that this is a topic you feel very passionate about, you back up your statements with evidence every time. There is no way Sylvia Browne can get away with saying that none of the victims suffered when we all saw footage of desperate people jumping to their deaths.
FriedMahooga is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd April 2008, 10:39 AM   #31
Locknar
Sum of all evils tm
Administrator

I can't even watch old footage of 9/11 without collapsing into tears, so to turn that event into some sort of self-promotional, self-indulgent, crap-fest is just sickening to me.

BOLD added by Locknar
RSL - I don't suppose there is any objective way to work that (in BOLD) into a future story is there? I suppose not...but a great quote.
Old 22nd April 2008, 11:28 AM   #32
Hawthorne
Scholar

Hey, thanks Locknar!
I just call 'em like I see 'em.
Old 22nd April 2008, 12:38 PM   #33
kakariki
Student

Great article. More examples of how exploitive she is of tragedies and of how she can't even keep her nonsense straight from one moment to the next.

One small change/correction perhaps: In the section on predicting terrorism maybe use the word "locations" or "places", because Florida and London aren't both examples of "cities." Maybe her saying Florida was a reference to an incident in a specific city there, but it is not clear now and jumped out at me.
kakariki is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd April 2008, 01:07 PM   #34
CFLarsen
Penultimate Amazing

That is how it was spelled in the original. When I quote text, I try to quote it exactly as is, mistakes and all (you can see this in many of the email articles on the site).

I have also chosen, for better or worse, to avoid the use of "[sic]" to mark such typos and misspellings.

So, whoever was typing for Browne during the chat (I seriously doubt that it was her) spelled it "tradegy." But it was, after all, an online chat. I would hate to be judged on my typos during chat sessions.

There were other places in the chat where it seemed to be more than just typos, such as (emphasis mine):

But again, it was a chat session.
The way such chat sessions are usually handled is that while people can ask whatever questions they want - usually in advance - there is a screening process so only those questions suited for the guest will get through to him/her (and displayed for all to see). They are read to the guest, who then answers, verbally. Someone else types in the answer.

Typos are inevitable - the emphasis is on speed, to make it as "live" as possible.
CFLarsen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd April 2008, 01:17 PM   #35
EeneyMinnieMoe
Philosopher

I'm really glad that you wrote this article, Robert. I know that you usually only stick what's "yes" or "no" testable and don't appeal to emotion- but some things are just morally repulsive and you have to say so.

I respect Gnostic Christians and other New Agers, I do. I have no objection to their religion, even the whole chart thing. Allthough I don't agree with it, it doesn't bother me.

However, when people like Sylvia Browne touch upon or directly pick something like 9/11 as an example, you have to call them on it.
EeneyMinnieMoe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd April 2008, 01:20 PM   #36
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Just when you think that Sylvia Browne can't stoop any lower,she does.
BTW, I have not got a strong enough stomach to read her book on Secret Societies and Conspiracy Theories ,but I presume she dabbles in 9/11 theories in that book.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd April 2008, 04:42 PM   #37
RSLancastr

Originally Posted by Minarvia View Post
Great article, Robert!
Thanks, Minarvia!

Originally Posted by rjh01 View Post
This must be one of the few articles where you wrote most of the content. It clearly shows your superior writing skills. I just go green with envy.
Thanks rjh, but with the exception of quoted material (such as emails and transcripts, I've written every word on the site. Glad to know you liked this one in particular, though!

Originally Posted by Niobe View Post
Hahah oh Sylvia, you use the words, but you don't live them.
True.

No, I am fairly certain it was Sylvia - b/c she mentioned it was a conversation with her granddaughter. ... If I find the reference, I'll be sure to post it...and email you RSL.
Please do, thanks!

Originally Posted by Cueshark View Post
Nice article Robert.
Thanks, Cue.

Quote:
Couple of typos? - 'yet she charge' and 'but they day will come'
Yes, a gentleman had already emailed me about those, thanks for the reminder - fixed.

Originally Posted by Kilgore Trout View Post
Great article, in part because I think it's about as level headed as the rest of your articles and surely couldn't have been easy. With that say, the subject matter is simply disgusting.
Thanks, KT.

Quote:
I had already thought the charting business was goofy, but this takes it to a whole new level.
Yes, she says the same thing about the Holocaust. Everyone who died in the concentration camps did so of their own (pre-life) choosing, to teach us all a lesson about evil.

Originally Posted by Blackwell View Post
Excellent article as always, Robert.
Thanks, Blackwell.

Quote:
(I noticed one small typo -- ""Triad of Jordon")
Gaaah!! Thanks, I'll fix it tonight.

Originally Posted by FriedMahooga View Post
I'd just like to add my support to the other posters who say that you hit the right tone with this article, RSL.
Thanks, FM.

RSL - I don't suppose there is any objective way to work that (in BOLD) into a future story is there? I suppose not...but a great quote.
It's all I can do not to work "crap-fest" into most articles...

Originally Posted by kakariki View Post
Great article. More examples of how exploitive she is of tragedies and of how she can't even keep her nonsense straight from one moment to the next.
Thanks, kakariki.

Quote:
Maybe her saying Florida was a reference to an incident in a specific city there, but it is not clear now and jumped out at me.
Good point, thanks. I'll fix it tonight.

Originally Posted by CFLarsen View Post
They are read to the guest, who then answers, verbally. Someone else types in the answer.
That was my assumption, Claus. I couldn't exactly picture her typing away at a keyboard with those nails anyway. They would have been able to answer two or three questions that whole hour...

Originally Posted by EeneyMinnieMoe View Post
I'm really glad that you wrote this article, Robert.
Thanks, EMM.

Quote:
However, when people like Sylvia Browne touch upon or directly pick something like 9/11 as an example, you have to call them on it.
Well, logically, you can't argue with the "we choose how we die before we're born" part of charting, as it is totally untestable. All I can do is point out that yes, that's what she says, and let the readers judge it for themselves. But nonsense like "they didn't suffer" can be refuted, and should be.

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
Just when you think that Sylvia Browne can't stoop any lower,she does.
She has a knack, that's for certain.

Quote:
BTW, I have not got a strong enough stomach to read her book on Secret Societies and Conspiracy Theories ,but I presume she dabbles in 9/11 theories in that book.
Not that I've heard. I have yet to read it, though.

Old 23rd April 2008, 04:40 AM   #38
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger

Thanks rjh, but with the exception of quoted material (such as emails and transcripts, I've written every word on the site. Glad to know you liked this one in particular, though!
Quoted material, forms the majority or a significant minority of the words in many of your articles. This recent one is an exception to that. That was what I was trying to say.
Old 28th April 2008, 07:19 AM   #39
desertgal
Illuminator

Excellent article.

Must admit, the segment where SB claimed that the victims of 9/11 "charted" their deaths made me ill, and the "they didn't suffer" was even worse. And I had started off queasy, because SB just has that effect.

Where does one get chutzpah like that? Is it available at some secret store that only 'psychics' can buy from?
desertgal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th April 2008, 07:35 AM   #40
Reno
Inquisitor

She gets it from the store where the Nigerian 419 scammers get theirs.

"I am the danger." - Heisenberg
Reno is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal