ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags barack obama

Old 4th July 2008, 02:29 AM   #1
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

Photo of Obama Smoking is Photoshopped

You know, I just realized that a certain picture of Obama that I've seen floating around the internets (including the avatar of a poster in this forum) is apparantly photoshopped to show Obama smoking a cigarette.

I had heard he smokes, so I assumed the picture was legit, but then (weeks later) I saw the version without the cigarette.
Old 4th July 2008, 02:36 AM   #2
MRC_Hans
Penultimate Amazing

Mmm, my immidiate thought was that the one without the cigarette might just as well be the photoshopped one, but looking at the pictures, I agree with you. The cigarette is pretty obviously an edit-in. No shadow, no forming of lips, no smoke.

Hans
Old 4th July 2008, 07:46 AM   #3
boloboffin

Next comes the explanation that while the photo is forged, it shows the truth of the situation, right?
boloboffin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th July 2008, 07:55 AM   #4
NoZed Avenger
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by boloboffin View Post
Next comes the explanation that while the photo is forged, it shows the truth of the situation, right?
You mean the truth that "there are idiots on the internet" ?

Well, to the extent more proof was needed, etc. etc.
NoZed Avenger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th July 2008, 11:36 AM   #5
Brainster
Penultimate Amazing

Mrs Obama asks us to remember that this isn't going to feed her kids.

Brainster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th July 2008, 12:38 PM   #6
Jimbo07
Illuminator

Originally Posted by NoZed Avenger View Post
You mean the truth that "there are idiots on the internet" ?
I'm here! What did I miss?

Oh... wait...

Atoms in supernova explosion get huge business -- Pixie of key
Jimbo07 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th July 2008, 02:21 PM   #7
Tricky
Briefly immortal

Originally Posted by Brainster View Post
Mrs Obama asks us to remember that this isn't going to feed her kids.

Mrs McCain asks us to remember that smearing Obama with photoshopped pictures isn't going to win her husband the election.
Tricky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th July 2008, 02:23 PM   #8
quixotecoyote
Howling to glory I go

.3% below the average smear tactic effectiveness!
Old 4th July 2008, 05:24 PM   #9
corplinx
JREF Kid

All the cigarette does is make him look cool.
Old 4th July 2008, 05:31 PM   #10
JEROME DA GNOME
Banned

Originally Posted by Tricky View Post
Mrs McCain asks us to remember that smearing Obama with photoshopped pictures isn't going to win her husband the election.
How is this a smear?

He does smoke, yes?

JEROME DA GNOME is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th July 2008, 05:41 PM   #11
chipmunk stew
Philosopher

Originally Posted by JEROME DA GNOME View Post
How is this a smear?

He does smoke, yes?

Nope. He promised Michelle and his kids he'd quit before he ran for president. I think he still chews nicotine gum.
chipmunk stew is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th July 2008, 05:44 PM   #12
JEROME DA GNOME
Banned

Originally Posted by chipmunk stew View Post
Nope. He promised Michelle and his kids he'd quit before he ran for president. I think he still chews nicotine gum.
Nicotine gum, is that like taking methadone?

JEROME DA GNOME is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th July 2008, 07:23 PM   #13
Cleon
King of the Pod People

Originally Posted by JEROME DA GNOME View Post
Nicotine gum, is that like taking methadone?
No.
Old 5th July 2008, 12:24 AM   #14
Klimax
NWO Cyborg 5960x (subversion VPUNPCKHQDQ)

Is not out there better photo than this?It is of small quality,so it can be taken both ways.AT least to me.
Klimax is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th July 2008, 12:45 AM   #15
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Klimax View Post
Is not out there better photo than this?It is of small quality,so it can be taken both ways.AT least to me.
I think it was made slightly off-focus on purpose, so that the manipulation would be less obvious. The original is clearly in focus. It's obvious to me that the one with the cigarette is the fake.
Old 5th July 2008, 02:11 AM   #16
Klimax

Originally Posted by Puppycow View Post
I think it was made slightly off-focus on purpose, so that the manipulation would be less obvious. The original is clearly in focus. It's obvious to me that the one with the cigarette is the fake.
I've got similar effect with cheap videocamera,that is why I ask.(JAQing )
Klimax is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th July 2008, 12:32 PM   #17
LawnOven
robot

Originally Posted by Klimax View Post
I've got similar effect with cheap videocamera,that is why I ask.(JAQing )
It definately looks like a photograph, taken with a flash, and not a video still, if thats what you mean.

There's the blown highlights and strong shadows.
Old 6th July 2008, 02:16 AM   #18
Klimax

Originally Posted by LawnOven View Post
It definately looks like a photograph, taken with a flash, and not a video still, if thats what you mean.

There's the blown highlights and strong shadows.
Not neccesary video.For reference I had Panasonic: NV-GS 18;180 and 320 in this order and the last one is still serving.

NV-GS 18 was taking "photographs" as a still picture on DV tape.And all three have bit cheaper CCD senzors wich are producing sometimes visible noise.When filtering out it,similar effect is sure to happen.(Just filtering like FFT-like is good "producer" with bad parameters)

If I take a look to archive I might be able to find good example of nonfiltred picture where this happened as well.(And no flash-have not bought it and applies only to latter two models)

P.S.:I could make mistake as most of archive was lost.
Old 6th July 2008, 09:39 AM   #19
Rob Lister

Originally Posted by Cleon View Post
No.
yes. That's exactly what it is like.
Rob Lister is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th July 2008, 01:16 PM   #20
joobz
Tergiversator

Originally Posted by Rob Lister View Post
No, from a pharmacological stand point it isn't.

1.) methadone and heroin are completely different chemicals. Nicotine IS the chemical in cigarettes.

2.) Methadone's longer halflife is used to reduce the severity of withdrawal and also block (via receptor competition) the rush of injected heroin. Nicotine gum directly feeds the nicotine withdrawal. Nicotine gum does not block the effects of inhaled nicotine and can add to them. Nicotine gum's sole function is to break the actual habit of smoking by seperating nicotine addiction from the smoking habit.
"Perhaps one reason per capita GDP is lower in UHC countries is because they've tried to prevent this important function [bankrupting the sick] and thus carry forward considerable economic dead wood?"-BeAChooser
joobz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th July 2008, 07:27 PM   #21
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing

The pathetic thing here is that someone would bother to fake the photo.
Old 6th July 2008, 07:48 PM   #22
Cleon
King of the Pod People

Originally Posted by Rob Lister View Post
I repeat: No.
Old 6th July 2008, 08:00 PM   #23
David Wong
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Meadmaker View Post

Unless a supporter did it because it makes him look cool as hell.
David Wong is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th July 2008, 03:28 AM   #24
aerosolben
Evil Genius

CLEARLY unqualified to be President. Do you want your children to start putting cigarettes in their ears?

Last edited by aerosolben; 7th July 2008 at 03:30 AM.
aerosolben is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th July 2008, 05:00 AM   #25
Klimax

After one easy experiment,it is clear that it is manipulated picture.
(I just forgot to check for horizontal flip!!!

ETA:

Last edited by Klimax; 7th July 2008 at 05:06 AM.
Old 7th July 2008, 05:48 AM   #26
chipmunk stew
Philosopher

Originally Posted by aerosolben View Post

CLEARLY unqualified to be President. Do you want your children to start putting cigarettes in their ears?
Funniest parody of the week award.
chipmunk stew is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th July 2008, 02:44 PM   #27
The Painter
Banned

Originally Posted by Meadmaker View Post

Yeah!!! Who would do such a thing?????

The Painter is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th July 2008, 03:04 PM   #28
aerosolben
Evil Genius

Photoshop is an important component of all political discussion on the Internet.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics