ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 21st October 2008, 09:14 AM   #1
rwguinn
Penultimate Amazing

Welcome to "The Crazy Years"?

I agree with Jim Campbell

Quote:
...the journalist launched personal attacks against Brazil's President, air traffic controllers and other notorious individuals and, repeatedly and piercingly, started offending Brazilians indiscriminately, as explained by Oscar Fleischfresser, one of the lawyers responsible for the lawsuit."
Now, publishing things on your blog that use "language which was, according to Rosane, offensive against all victims' families and Brazilians", is grounds so that you can be sued in a foreign court over things said in the US.

Considering that in the US, and most other counttries, the ATC's would be fired, and filing criminal charges against the surviving pilots unheard of, they (the Brazilians) have absolutely no leg to stand on.
BTW, they guy publishing these things was a survivor of the mid-air between the Embraer Legacy 600 and the Brazilian 737. He actually witnessed it happen.
I pointed out that his argument was wrong in every particular, but he rightfully took me to task for attacking only the weak points." Myriad http://forums.randi.org/showthread.php?postid=6853275#post6853275

Last edited by rwguinn; 21st October 2008 at 09:15 AM. Reason: language...
rwguinn is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st October 2008, 10:16 AM   #2
WildCat
NWO Master Conspirator

Quote:
To Gutjhar's lawyer, that fact, in itself, would not be reproachable, but the journalist launched personal attacks against Brazil's President, air traffic controllers and other notorious individuals and, repeatedly and piercingly, started offending Brazilians indiscriminately, as explained by Oscar Fleischfresser, one of the lawyers responsible for the lawsuit.
The lawyer should be sued for assaulting the English language with run-on sentences.
Old 21st October 2008, 10:24 AM   #3
mrbaracuda
Banned

Oscar Fleischfresser? That's funny.
It means carnivore.
mrbaracuda is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st October 2008, 12:14 PM   #4
rwguinn
Penultimate Amazing

More evidence of Heinlein's history..
http://startelegram.typepad.com/crim...-get-real.html

Sheesh. I though the US was the crazy people.
Wake Up, Yurp!
I pointed out that his argument was wrong in every particular, but he rightfully took me to task for attacking only the weak points." Myriad http://forums.randi.org/showthread.php?postid=6853275#post6853275
rwguinn is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st October 2008, 02:29 PM   #5
leonAzul
Illuminator

Originally Posted by rwguinn View Post
http://startelegram.typepad.com/crim...-get-real.html

Sheesh. I though the US was the crazy people.
Wake Up, Yurp!
Here's a link to the AP summary: Link

Quote:
"These virtual goods are goods (under Dutch law), so this is theft," the court said Tuesday in a summary of its ruling.
:-/

@mrbaracuda Beat me to it! It's like a character from a Molière play. How did he find the time to take this on between chasing ambulances?

"No man should have to clean up after another man's dog."
- Gerald Ford
leonAzul is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st October 2008, 02:41 PM   #6
rwguinn
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by leonAzul View Post
Here's a link to the AP summary: Link
It's a GAME fer ed's sake! We gonna file criminal charges for peeking at "Hide and Seek" next?
Sheesshh
Quote:

:-/

@mrbaracuda Beat me to it! It's like a character from a Molière play. How did he find the time to take this on between chasing ambulances?
Old 21st October 2008, 04:43 PM   #7
leonAzul
Illuminator

It's a GAME fer ed's sake! We gonna file criminal charges for peeking at "Hide and Seek" next?
Sheesshh
I certainly find it odd that the judge convicted on the crime of theft. Without knowing more about the Dutch legal system and this case in particular, I can only speculate.

Perhaps it was because it involved computers and the judge wished to make an example, while not establishing a possible loophole for more serious crimes.

Or perhaps the prosecuting attorney was frustrated that a better case for harassment or assault couldn't be made so he went with the evidence he could present.

- Gerald Ford
leonAzul is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st October 2008, 05:24 PM   #8
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

At times I wonder if Heinlein was not on to something with his opinion that it was a grave mistake to allow somebody the right of franchise simply because he or she managed to avoid getting killed before reaching a certain age.
dudalb is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st October 2008, 05:26 PM   #9
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

One thing is sure, if he were still alive Heinlein would manage to piss off both the left and right in this country.
dudalb is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st October 2008, 06:31 PM   #10
shadron
Philosopher

I believe this is called the legal frontier, where no man has gone....

(that, and he old standby, "go for the deep pockets". She'll no doubt be suing the country's president, air traffic controllers, et al. as soon as she recovers from this suit.)

Monopoly gamers the world over need to keep an eye out for he cops.
shadron is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st October 2008, 08:49 PM   #11
leonAzul
Illuminator

Originally Posted by shadron View Post
(that, and he old standby, "go for the deep pockets". She'll no doubt be suing the country's president, air traffic controllers, et al. as soon as she recovers from this suit.)
No worries: Fleischfresser, Esq., is on the case.

You might want to be aware that this is only the tip of the iceberg, as it were. There is also The Association of Relatives and Friends of Gol's Flight 1907, aka
Associação Familiares e Amigos Vôo 1907. Ligação (em português)

- Gerald Ford

Last edited by leonAzul; 21st October 2008 at 09:27 PM. Reason: an emoticon clarifies my intent
Old 21st October 2008, 09:45 PM   #12
Kittyclaws
Muse

Wait wait! Spider's been writing about the craziness for years!

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/The...2100358/?itm=8

And still does: http://spiderrobinson.com/writings.html

Heinlein was Robinson's hero and mentor and collaborator on "Variable Star," expanding and finishing a partial RAH manuscript discovered a few years ago.

Drinking Skeptically in Bellingham, WA
Kittyclaws is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd October 2008, 07:22 AM   #13
Beerina
Sarcastic Conqueror of Notions

I agree with Jim Campbell
I am unable to find said blog or column there.

The government should nationalize it! Socialized, single-payer video game development and sales now! More, cheaper, better games, right? Right?
Beerina is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd October 2008, 07:46 AM   #14
WildCat
NWO Master Conspirator

Originally Posted by Beerina View Post
It moved to here: http://www.aero-news.net/index.cfm?C...2-f43a2992c4f9&
Old 22nd October 2008, 09:27 AM   #15
leonAzul
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Beerina View Post
Joe Sharkey's blog is currently located here:
http://sharkeyonbrazil.blogspot.com/

Most of the older blogs have been taken down by Mr. Sharkey himself because, as he alleges, of the massive abuse by commentators. A Google search for the archived blogs is possible, but tedious.

Several of the more salient entries are recorded in a Wikipedia entry, yet that is also being challenged:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_Sharkey

- Gerald Ford
Old 22nd October 2008, 10:14 AM   #16
slingblade

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
One thing is sure, if he were still alive Heinlein would manage to piss off both the left and right in this country.
His thoughts still live in his books, however, so there's still a chance!

Go, RAH, go!
slingblade is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd October 2008, 06:14 AM   #17
Beerina
Sarcastic Conqueror of Notions

Originally Posted by WildCat View Post
Pathetic.

To be fair, though, the lawsuit is being brought in one of those backward-ass countries (read: essentially every country but the US) that allows the silencing of free speech due to hurt feelings.

The government should nationalize it! Socialized, single-payer video game development and sales now! More, cheaper, better games, right? Right?
Beerina is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd October 2008, 07:37 AM   #18
Phaedrus74
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by leonAzul View Post
I certainly find it odd that the judge convicted on the crime of theft. Without knowing more about the Dutch legal system and this case in particular, I can only speculate.

Perhaps it was because it involved computers and the judge wished to make an example, while not establishing a possible loophole for more serious crimes.

Or perhaps the prosecuting attorney was frustrated that a better case for harassment or assault couldn't be made so he went with the evidence he could present.
The case in point involved two kids aged 13 and 14 who threatened another kid at knife-point and forced him to transfer his digital assets to their account. They were found guilty and sentenced to 360 hrs. community service.

Just desserts IMHO

[/Derail]
Phaedrus74 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd October 2008, 07:57 AM   #19
rwguinn
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Phaedrus74 View Post
The case in point involved two kids aged 13 and 14 who threatened another kid at knife-point and forced him to transfer his digital assets to their account. They were found guilty and sentenced to 360 hrs. community service.

Just desserts IMHO

[/Derail]
If that is the case, then good deal. But the conviction should be for Battery or intimidation, or some other act of violence, rather than mere "Theft"
Old 23rd October 2008, 08:04 AM   #20
Phaedrus74
Critical Thinker

If that is the case, then good deal. But the conviction should be for Battery or intimidation, or some other act of violence, rather than mere "Theft"
I am not entirely sure what exactly they were convicted of, but if I remember correctly this would qualify as "diefstal met geweld" under the Dutch legal system which is somewhere in between armed robbery and extortion.
Phaedrus74 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd October 2008, 11:36 AM   #21
leonAzul
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Phaedrus74 View Post

Just desserts IMHO

[/Derail]
That is not a "Derail" at all. Thanks for the info.

- Gerald Ford
Old 23rd October 2008, 11:38 AM   #22
leonAzul
Illuminator

And now this:

Woman jailed after 'killing' virtual husband

Quote:
The woman, who has been jailed on suspicion of illegally accessing a computer and manipulating electronic data, used his ID and password to log onto the popular interactive game "Maple Story" to carry out the virtual murder in May, a police official in the northern city of Sapporo said. He spoke on condition of anonymity because of department policy.

- Gerald Ford

Last edited by leonAzul; 23rd October 2008 at 11:42 AM. Reason: elaboration
Old 23rd October 2008, 11:57 AM   #23
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Kittyclaws View Post
Wait wait! Spider's been writing about the craziness for years!

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/The...2100358/?itm=8

And still does: http://spiderrobinson.com/writings.html

Heinlein was Robinson's hero and mentor and collaborator on "Variable Star," expanding and finishing a partial RAH manuscript discovered a few years ago.

I am not a big Spider Robinson fan. He is a mediocre at best Sci Fi writer who frankly, is living off his friendship with Heinlein. It is panifully obvious in "Variable Star" when Heinlein leaves off and Robinson begins.
I think Heinlein is one of the great Sci Fi Writers but I do not like the "Cult" that has formed around him. Heinlein was a great writer, but not a infallible source of truth. His accpetence of Social Darwinism is an example of where he was fallible.
Old 24th October 2008, 06:21 PM   #24
slingblade

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
I am not a big Spider Robinson fan. He is a mediocre at best Sci Fi writer who frankly, is living off his friendship with Heinlein. It is panifully obvious in "Variable Star" when Heinlein leaves off and Robinson begins.
Yeah, Spider's not all that.

Quote:
I think Heinlein is one of the great Sci Fi Writers but I do not like the "Cult" that has formed around him. Heinlein was a great writer, but not a infallible source of truth. His accpetence of Social Darwinism is an example of where he was fallible.
I belong to no cults. I don't find anyone on the planet (alive or formerly alive), an infallible source of truth. So, in future, when I quote RAH--because I will quote him--it isn't as his lich groupie.

By the way, Heinlein actually wasn't all that great a writer. I simply find a lot in his works that makes sense, specifically his social commentary. But that doesn't mean there haven't been times I looked twice at what I was reading and suddenly hurled the book across the room, scaring the cat right through the dimensional walls of time and space.

Yeah, I have that power.
slingblade is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th October 2008, 08:25 PM   #25
bigred
Penultimate Amazing

aw someone beat me to the Heinlein ref.

These truly are the crazy years.

PS and oh btw: Heinlein WAS a great sci fi writer, but I enjoyed his social commentary as well (and in fact the 2 were very much intertwined...).

PS 2 and however: I abhor ANY kind of groupie. barf.
bigred is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events