ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal
 


Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags david koenig

Reply
Old 22nd July 2009, 07:53 AM   #1
Chris H
Magician Among Spirits
 
Chris H's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 846
The Professor - Still At It...

Fortunately Dave Koenig has been permenantly banned from the JREF forum, and we are no longer subjected to his mindless dribble. However this certainly hasn't put an end to his Randi/JREF smear campaign. Obviously this hack magician (and that is all he is) is still suffering from the bizarre delusion that he was mistreated by the JREF, and has chosen to push his posts that little bit further on other forums.

http://www.debunkingskeptics.com/for...wforum.php?f=7

Of particular interest are the threads initiated by him with the titles 'Randi refuses to test me !!!!' (wow, didn't see that one coming) and 'JREF Blackmail Tapes'. Your thoughts?

Cheers,

Chris
__________________
MELBOURNE SKEPTICS
Promoting critical thinking and skeptical activism in Melbourne, across Australia and around the globe.
http://www.melbourneskeptics.com.au | http://www.facebook.com/melbourneskeptics | http://www.twitter.com/melbskeptics
Chris H is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd July 2009, 11:30 AM   #2
Azrael 5
Philosopher
 
Azrael 5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 5,886
My thoughts are that he is a sad attention seeking idiot. A bit like a lot of the members on there.
Astounds me so many magicians believe in psychics. Bill Ligon believes any old urban legend,as his posts about "Hadad" testify.
Chris I wouldn't worry, just refer in every post he makes to the numerous threads here. He's inasane nothing gonna change that. Randi got the better of him, for that we should be grateful!
__________________
"I achieve these results through a mixture of magic,misdirection,suggestion and showmanship"-Derren Brown
Azrael 5 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd July 2009, 11:40 AM   #3
Cleon
King of the Pod People
 
Cleon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 25,662
On this forum, Koenig claimed that he and Callahan will show up at DragonCon.

I kinda hope he does. It'll be amusing, if nothing else.
__________________
"People like me are what stand between us and Auschwitz." - Newt Gingrich
Cleon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd July 2009, 11:46 AM   #4
Olowkow
Philosopher
 
Olowkow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 8,230
I just had a look at their forum. I feel like I need a shower. Seems like basically two guys ranting and raving about anything and everything.
Olowkow is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd July 2009, 11:47 AM   #5
Azrael 5
Philosopher
 
Azrael 5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 5,886
Originally Posted by Olowkow View Post
I just had a look at their forum. I feel like I need a shower. Seems like basically two guys ranting and raving about anything and everything.
Make it 3! I registered

Oh was it Dragoncon,here's me wondering why no-one mentioned him appearing at TAM.
__________________
"I achieve these results through a mixture of magic,misdirection,suggestion and showmanship"-Derren Brown
Azrael 5 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd July 2009, 11:54 AM   #6
ravdin
Illuminator
 
ravdin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 4,985
The DragonCon video with the audience member "challenging" the JREF is priceless. The audience is cheering for Randi and Jeff Wagg while they patiently and politely answer his stupid questions- and they're actually proud enough of his thickheadedness to post it on YouTube!

I'm not posting the video here on purpose. Trust me, it would be a complete waste of your time.
__________________
Take the risk of thinking for yourself. Much more happiness, truth, beauty, and wisdom will come to you that way. -Christopher Hitchens

Believe what you're told. There would be chaos if everyone thought for themselves. -Top Dog slogan
ravdin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd July 2009, 12:07 PM   #7
Olowkow
Philosopher
 
Olowkow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 8,230
Originally Posted by Azrael 5 View Post
Make it 3! I registered

Oh was it Dragoncon,here's me wondering why no-one mentioned him appearing at TAM.
Just saw the post. Well done. Let's see if anyone there has the temerity to be see through him.
Olowkow is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd July 2009, 12:09 PM   #8
Cleon
King of the Pod People
 
Cleon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 25,662
Originally Posted by ravdin View Post
The DragonCon video with the audience member "challenging" the JREF is priceless. The audience is cheering for Randi and Jeff Wagg while they patiently and politely answer his stupid questions- and they're actually proud enough of his thickheadedness to post it on YouTube!

I'm not posting the video here on purpose. Trust me, it would be a complete waste of your time.
Heh. I was there. The funny part is that he was so committed to asking loaded questions that his point was completely lost to anyone who wasn't already familiar with the Koenig/Callahan saga.
__________________
"People like me are what stand between us and Auschwitz." - Newt Gingrich
Cleon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd July 2009, 12:26 PM   #9
Olowkow
Philosopher
 
Olowkow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 8,230
I just love the response to Azrael's post.

Quote:
I know nothing about them, nor of their alleged paranormal claims
But he nevertheless firmly sides with the questioner.
Olowkow is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd July 2009, 02:39 PM   #10
Azrael 5
Philosopher
 
Azrael 5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 5,886
Ive seen some ill informed illogical people on boards but those over there are stupid beyond anything.
Backing up claims Uri is real by citing his website!!
__________________
"I achieve these results through a mixture of magic,misdirection,suggestion and showmanship"-Derren Brown
Azrael 5 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd July 2009, 02:53 PM   #11
Olowkow
Philosopher
 
Olowkow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 8,230
Originally Posted by Azrael 5 View Post
Ive seen some ill informed illogical people on boards but those over there are stupid beyond anything.
Backing up claims Uri is real by citing his website!!
Wow, I must agree. I just got really weirded out by their lack of judgment. Then I noticed, that I was the only one on the site (one visitor, no members) at the time. All those threads by the head honcho, with 0 replies. That was encouraging, but kind of sad actually. I was going to register, but then decided there was no point in my arguing with those folks. Props to you though. A little like RSL on the SB site.
Olowkow is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd July 2009, 02:59 PM   #12
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger
 
rjh01's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Flying around in the sky
Posts: 24,502
I have been watching that forum for a few weeks. There were only about 6 members contributing to the discussion. They could not work out why we did not join the forum. Then The Professor turned up. Pity you could not have left him to it. The Professor may have destroyed the forum. With your help he still may destroy the forum.
rjh01 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd July 2009, 03:04 PM   #13
Wowbagger
The Infinitely Prolonged
 
Wowbagger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Westchester County, NY (when not in space)
Posts: 15,082
I find it sad, and perhaps a bit disturbing, that the whole site seems to want to take down Randi. They don't seem to be concerned with building up a case for supernatural powers, nor improving their own lives or abilities, nor even exploring what little work they've achieved so far. It's all about taking down Randi. That is all they seem to live for. It reeks of runious waste.
__________________
WARNING: Phrases in this post may sound meaner than they were intended to be.

SkeptiCamp NYC: http://www.skepticampnyc.org/
An open conference on science and skepticism, where you could be a presenter!

By the way, my first name is NOT Bowerick!!!!
Wowbagger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd July 2009, 03:05 PM   #14
Steelmage
Muse
 
Steelmage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 656
Just curious, why was Dave Koenig banned anyway?
__________________
Anything makes sense as long as you do not think about it. -Steelmage

It is better to want what you can't have then to have what you don't want. -Denny Crane, Boston Legal
Steelmage is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd July 2009, 03:08 PM   #15
kookbreaker
Evil Fokker
 
kookbreaker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Posts: 12,019
Originally Posted by Azrael 5 View Post
Ive seen some ill informed illogical people on boards but those over there are stupid beyond anything.
Backing up claims Uri is real by citing his website!!
They even bring up John Benneth as an example of 'Randi running away'. For those of us who know the whole story that's not even a good joke. Benneth was so disingenuous and psychotic that even the homeopaths trying to negotiate protocols between Benneth and JREF called him a nutcase and wanted nothing more to do with him.

How bad do you have to be when your fellow woos are walking away shaking their heads?
__________________
www.spectrum-scientifics.com <- My store of science toys, instruments and general fun!

Thanks for helping me win Best Toys in Philly Voter in 2011,2012, and 2014! We won' be discussing the disappointment that was 2013.
kookbreaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd July 2009, 03:13 PM   #16
Azrael 5
Philosopher
 
Azrael 5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 5,886
Its like a woo site, no way are they anywhere near skeptical.
__________________
"I achieve these results through a mixture of magic,misdirection,suggestion and showmanship"-Derren Brown
Azrael 5 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd July 2009, 03:14 PM   #17
kookbreaker
Evil Fokker
 
kookbreaker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Posts: 12,019
I suspect this site may be little more than a combination of Winston Wu, Victor Zammit, and Lucianarchy, all of whom are in the same psycho boat as Koenig.
__________________
www.spectrum-scientifics.com <- My store of science toys, instruments and general fun!

Thanks for helping me win Best Toys in Philly Voter in 2011,2012, and 2014! We won' be discussing the disappointment that was 2013.
kookbreaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd July 2009, 03:22 PM   #18
Azrael 5
Philosopher
 
Azrael 5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 5,886
Who is George Vitalhoukous? Did a search but got nothing.
__________________
"I achieve these results through a mixture of magic,misdirection,suggestion and showmanship"-Derren Brown
Azrael 5 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd July 2009, 03:44 PM   #19
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger
 
rjh01's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Flying around in the sky
Posts: 24,502
As for the blackmail tapes see this. I think this deals with the issue http://www.randi.org/site/index.php/...peaks-out.html. If Randi had committed any crime he would be charged and locked up. The fact that he is a free man indicates he is innocent.

Edit. And the thread that goes with it Pro Uri Gellar article with crazy innuendos regarding James Randi
The Professor knows about this thread as he has some posts in the thread.

Last edited by rjh01; 22nd July 2009 at 03:55 PM.
rjh01 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd July 2009, 04:00 PM   #20
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger
 
rjh01's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Flying around in the sky
Posts: 24,502
Originally Posted by Steelmage View Post
Just curious, why was Dave Koenig banned anyway?
1. Having too many posts in AAH.
2. See this thread I Protest the Banning of the Professor and this Ban Notice: The Professor
Quote:
The Professor has been banned for extremely cruel or hateful content aimed at another user.
rjh01 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd July 2009, 04:09 PM   #21
jimtron
Illuminator
 
jimtron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Los Angeles, California
Posts: 3,104
Originally Posted by rjh01 View Post
As for the blackmail tapes see this. I think this deals with the issue http://www.randi.org/site/index.php/...peaks-out.html. If Randi had committed any crime he would be charged and locked up. The fact that he is a free man indicates he is innocent.

Edit. And the thread that goes with it Pro Uri Gellar article with crazy innuendos regarding James Randi
The Professor knows about this thread as he has some posts in the thread.
The fact that he is a free man does not indicate that Randi's innocent. I believe he's innocent because the accusations appear to be baseless, but I take issue with the logic that not being charged and sentenced means one is innocent (ie, a person could be guilty but not charged because of lack of evidence).

By the way, for you masochists out there, you can also catch The Prof at the "Stand The Test" forum (and others) at The Magic Café.
jimtron is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd July 2009, 04:16 PM   #22
Azrael 5
Philosopher
 
Azrael 5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 5,886
I'm gonna chase The Prof around the net for a while*,let as many forum members see what a jerk he is. When he fails to back up any of his claims the cracks will show.

*Aside from magic Cafe -I just couldn't stand being on there again!
__________________
"I achieve these results through a mixture of magic,misdirection,suggestion and showmanship"-Derren Brown
Azrael 5 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd July 2009, 04:35 PM   #23
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger
 
rjh01's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Flying around in the sky
Posts: 24,502
If there is a lack of evidence that Randi is guilty then we must assume he is innocent and the tapes are worthless.
rjh01 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd July 2009, 04:38 PM   #24
shadron
Philosopher
 
shadron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 5,918
Originally Posted by jimtron View Post
The fact that he is a free man does not indicate that Randi's innocent. I believe he's innocent because the accusations appear to be baseless, but I take issue with the logic that not being charged and sentenced means one is innocent (ie, a person could be guilty but not charged because of lack of evidence).

By the way, for you masochists out there, you can also catch The Prof at the "Stand The Test" forum (and others) at The Magic Café.
Depends, of course, on your context. If you're talking moral guilt, your response is fine. If you want legal, you're wrong. Legally, after the decision is made, you have only guilty and not guilty, one of which is true and the other false.
shadron is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd July 2009, 04:42 PM   #25
jimtron
Illuminator
 
jimtron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Los Angeles, California
Posts: 3,104
Originally Posted by rjh01 View Post
If there is a lack of evidence that Randi is guilty then we must assume he is innocent and the tapes are worthless.
I agree.

Woos need a bogeyman. With Scientologists, it's psychiatry. With Homeopaths, it's the AMA and "big pharma." With MDC applicants and others who claim paranormal abilities, it's Randi. In the case of Randi as bogeyman, they're shooting the messenger. The magicians and mentalists at the Magic Café are obsessed with Randi--try searching his name over there. I wish they would spend more time demonstrating the authenticity of their claims instead of making ad hom attacks on Randi.
jimtron is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd July 2009, 04:47 PM   #26
jimtron
Illuminator
 
jimtron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Los Angeles, California
Posts: 3,104
Originally Posted by shadron View Post
Depends, of course, on your context. If you're talking moral guilt, your response is fine. If you want legal, you're wrong. Legally, after the decision is made, you have only guilty and not guilty, one of which is true and the other false.
Right. My point was that a person could commit a crime and be found innocent of that crime by a court of law. The innocent verdict doesn't mean they didn't do it, it means they weren't proven guilty. But I do think "innocent until proven guilty" is a good policy.

And once again, I believe Randi is a victim of a smear campaign, being accused of heinous stuff without evidence.

Last edited by jimtron; 22nd July 2009 at 04:48 PM.
jimtron is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd July 2009, 05:24 PM   #27
shadron
Philosopher
 
shadron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 5,918
Originally Posted by jimtron View Post
The fact that he is a free man does not indicate that Randi's innocent. I believe he's innocent because the accusations appear to be baseless, but I take issue with the logic that not being charged and sentenced means one is innocent (ie, a person could be guilty but not charged because of lack of evidence).

By the way, for you masochists out there, you can also catch The Prof at the "Stand The Test" forum (and others) at The Magic Café.
Depends, of course, on your context. If you're talking moral guilt, your response is fine. If you want legal, you're wrong. Legally, after the decision is made, you have only guilty and not guilty, one of which is true and the other false.

Pedants arise.
shadron is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd July 2009, 10:27 PM   #28
critterrice
Scholar
 
critterrice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 72
Originally Posted by Steelmage View Post
Just curious, why was Dave Koenig banned anyway?

Antisocial Personality Disorder.
(Opinion, not diagnosis.)
critterrice is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd July 2009, 10:46 PM   #29
Steelmage
Muse
 
Steelmage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 656
Thanks for the info rjh01 and critterrice.
__________________
Anything makes sense as long as you do not think about it. -Steelmage

It is better to want what you can't have then to have what you don't want. -Denny Crane, Boston Legal
Steelmage is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd July 2009, 01:26 AM   #30
Azrael 5
Philosopher
 
Azrael 5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 5,886
People can't see past Randi. If they have paranormal abilities and can't get a test or fail atest with Randi,then go elsewhere. Find a scientific body somewhere(or whatever)and prove it to them. The old "it's a publicity stunt its never going to be paid,tehy cant afford tolose the money" doesn't hold water either. How much money would Randi/JREF make from someone winning(therefore genuine paranormal abilities).?
__________________
"I achieve these results through a mixture of magic,misdirection,suggestion and showmanship"-Derren Brown
Azrael 5 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd July 2009, 04:19 AM   #31
desertgal
Illuminator
 
desertgal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 4,198
Proffy's mindless ranting aside, I'm always bothered by statements like these:

Originally Posted by Etaponge[/url
]Anyone? Anyone? There is much to be clarified here. How these tapes came to be released to the public, what Randi's official position is on the tapes, etc. One skeptic said something to the effect that Randi admitted that he did these, but on the cops behalf, which doesn't make any sense. Any further information?
Jesus, Mary, and Joseph, who freaking cares? That tape is what...almost 30 years old? The fact that it seems to titillate people like this says a lot more about them than it does about James Randi.

Originally Posted by Skepcop
I've always wondered why Randi never got married. For some reason, this is like a taboo subject that's not even discussed on skeptic forums.
Why should it be discussed? Not taboo, but Randi's orientation and his reasons for never marrying are his own business. What happened almost 30 years ago was between him, the youth(s) involved, and the cops.

If they have nothing better to talk about, they need to turn off the computer and read a book. Go outside. Take up hang gliding. Do something else.

Koenig and Callahan aren't worth discussing. Flat idiots, both of them.
__________________
"It's obvious that you seem to be threatened by me for some reason and I find that extremely amusing." - Jodie

Last edited by desertgal; 23rd July 2009 at 04:43 AM.
desertgal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd July 2009, 04:33 AM   #32
NoZed Avenger
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 11,286
Originally Posted by kookbreaker View Post
I suspect this site may be little more than a combination of Winston Wu, Victor Zammit, and Lucianarchy, all of whom are in the same psycho boat as Koenig.

Whoa. That's a combination of folding-in-on-itself-from-density and forming a black hole of suck level of woo there.
NoZed Avenger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd July 2009, 04:43 AM   #33
RoboTimbo
Hostile Nanobacon
 
RoboTimbo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Springwood, NJ
Posts: 29,699
Originally Posted by Azrael 5 View Post
I'm gonna chase The Prof around the net for a while*,let as many forum members see what a jerk he is. When he fails to back up any of his claims the cracks will show.

*Aside from magic Cafe -I just couldn't stand being on there again!
I've tried posting there but if anyone seems to be skeptical or post on JREF, then it's a dogpile on that person. I've never seen such a collection of loonies in my life, and their moderators are as wacko as any. I've seen Tom delete posts and entire threads for no other reason than they are going against him or Dave. I always feel like I need a shower after visiting The Magic Cafe.
RoboTimbo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd July 2009, 04:45 AM   #34
desertgal
Illuminator
 
desertgal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 4,198
Originally Posted by Steelmage View Post
Just curious, why was Dave Koenig banned anyway?
Jackasstics.
__________________
"It's obvious that you seem to be threatened by me for some reason and I find that extremely amusing." - Jodie
desertgal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd July 2009, 06:01 AM   #35
Mojo
Mostly harmless
 
Mojo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 30,921
Originally Posted by Azrael 5 View Post
Who is George Vitalhoukous? Did a search but got nothing.

Try "George Vithoulkas".

Apparently a bunch of Greek homoeopaths were unable to carry out a double-blind trial because Randi was ill, or something.
__________________
"You got to use your brain." - McKinley Morganfield

"The poor mystic homeopaths feel like petted house-cats thrown at high flood on the breaking ice." - Leon Trotsky
Mojo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd July 2009, 08:43 AM   #36
kookbreaker
Evil Fokker
 
kookbreaker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Posts: 12,019
Originally Posted by RoboTimbo View Post
I've tried posting there but if anyone seems to be skeptical or post on JREF, then it's a dogpile on that person. I've never seen such a collection of loonies in my life, and their moderators are as wacko as any. I've seen Tom delete posts and entire threads for no other reason than they are going against him or Dave. I always feel like I need a shower after visiting The Magic Cafe.
You essentially have a combination of

a) Magicians who are woo.
b) Magicians who think they are unrecognized geniuses and consider all successful or famous magicians are hacks compared to them
c) Magicians who think all famous & successful magicians are hacks.

and anyone coming in from JREF already has strikes against them since Randi is famous and hangs out with that successful Penn & Teller. Add in the woo factor and the MC crowd would support a child raping homeopath as a way to snub JREF.
__________________
www.spectrum-scientifics.com <- My store of science toys, instruments and general fun!

Thanks for helping me win Best Toys in Philly Voter in 2011,2012, and 2014! We won' be discussing the disappointment that was 2013.
kookbreaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd July 2009, 11:42 AM   #37
Azrael 5
Philosopher
 
Azrael 5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 5,886
Originally Posted by kookbreaker View Post
You essentially have a combination of

a) Magicians who are woo.
b) Magicians who think they are unrecognized geniuses and consider all successful or famous magicians are hacks compared to them
c) Magicians who think all famous & successful magicians are hacks.

and anyone coming in from JREF already has strikes against them since Randi is famous and hangs out with that successful Penn & Teller. Add in the woo factor and the MC crowd would support a child raping homeopath as a way to snub JREF.
Plus Penn and Teller "expose" magic just like magician Ian Rowland because he wrote a book about cold reading!
__________________
"I achieve these results through a mixture of magic,misdirection,suggestion and showmanship"-Derren Brown
Azrael 5 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd July 2009, 12:33 PM   #38
critterrice
Scholar
 
critterrice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 72
Actually, the vast majority on the cafe know what Koenig really is. He was banned for a month but for some reason they let him come back.
As for the claim that all of us 'hacks' hate Penn & Teller, that is also unfounded:
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/v...74&forum=62&23
They got the vast majority of votes in my poll. Teller happens to be my favorite magician. Ever.
I'm also a huge Randi fan and have read two of his books. One several times. Once last week.
I realize that this doesn't represent the entire population of the cafe, but it shows why it isn't right to make presumptions about an entire group based on the poor actions of a select few.
I can see why you would think the things you do about the cafe, the 'bad types' are particularly vocal. Just know that we aren't all the same.

Last edited by critterrice; 23rd July 2009 at 12:37 PM.
critterrice is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd July 2009, 12:45 PM   #39
RoboTimbo
Hostile Nanobacon
 
RoboTimbo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Springwood, NJ
Posts: 29,699
Originally Posted by critterrice View Post
Actually, the vast majority on the cafe know what Koenig really is. He was banned for a month but for some reason they let him come back.

I realize that this doesn't represent the entire population of the cafe, but it shows why it isn't right to make presumptions about an entire group based on the poor actions of a select few.
I do enjoy reading some of the more moderate posters. It's when that idiot of a moderator Tom jumps in that raises my hackles. I can't imagine what redeeming qualities he has that makes them keep him.
RoboTimbo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd July 2009, 02:03 PM   #40
critterrice
Scholar
 
critterrice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 72
I understand.
I had a really bad experience with the moderators once because I had an opinion. I managed to find humor in it and move on. I like talking to my friends on there enough to ignore the politics. For now.
critterrice is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Reply

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:59 PM.
Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

This forum began as part of the James Randi Education Foundation (JREF). However, the forum now exists as
an independent entity with no affiliation with or endorsement by the JREF, including the section in reference to "JREF" topics.

Disclaimer: Messages posted in the Forum are solely the opinion of their authors.