IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » Welcome to ISF » Other Skeptical Organizations » JREF

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 20th April 2010, 12:14 PM   #1
Bill Thompson
Banned

Clone Randi

Can we save Randi's DNA for later cloning?
I say this because no one else really measures up to him.
Bill Thompson is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th April 2010, 12:28 PM   #2
Mister Earl
Illuminator

I'd chip in five bucks.
Mister Earl is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th April 2010, 01:17 PM   #3
wogoga
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by Bill Thompson View Post
Can we save Randi's DNA for later cloning?

From the perspective of pure reason, the assumption that James Randi is essentially only the result of a ridiculously small quantity of DNA information in the order of 10 megabyte is completely absurd.

James Randi as a personality, as everyone else, is primarily the product of his previous lives.

And because it is impossible to become a good magician within one life, we can be quite sure that Randi also in at least some previous lives was a successful magician having left marks.

Does anybody know magicians (or maybe debunkers of magicians) having died before or around the time of Randi’s birth with similar characteristics?

Cheers, Wolfgang

Atmospheric carbon dioxide per square centimeter: on Venus 100 kg - on earth 0.6 gram
wogoga is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th April 2010, 01:34 PM   #4
Mister Earl
Illuminator

Originally Posted by wogoga View Post
[color="Navy"]...And because it is impossible to become a good magician within one life, we can be quite sure that Randi also in at least some previous lives was a successful magician having left marks...
Are you making the assertion that Randi has lived more than once?
Mister Earl is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th April 2010, 07:19 PM   #5
Doubt
Philosopher

We would just end up with a mini-Randi.
Old 21st April 2010, 11:30 AM   #6
TheDoLittle
Disco King Discombobulator

Originally Posted by wogoga View Post
Does anybody know magicians (or maybe debunkers of magicians) having died before or around the time of Randi’s birth with similar characteristics?
Yes... All of them... How do you think he got branded "Amazing"?
America believes in education: the average professor earns more money in a year than a professional athlete earns in a whole week. - Evan Esar / No one can earn a million dollars honestly. - William Jennings Bryan (1860 - 1925) / If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you; But if you really make them think, they'll hate you. - Don Marquis
TheDoLittle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd April 2010, 03:05 PM   #7
Colloden
Graduate Poster

If not cloning how about freezing?
‘Psychics’, frauds and the assorted masses of the self-deluded would have nightmares for years with the prospect that a deep-frozen James Randi may one day be resurrected to terrorize them again.

"Everything, and I mean everything, about him creeps me out. I don't know why." -- wasapi
Colloden is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd April 2010, 08:37 AM   #8
Ron_Tomkins
Satan's Helper

How about taking his brain and inserting it into a gigantic computer that spoke with one of those 60's Sci Fi Movies type of electronic voice. We would call it, The Randi 2000

Carl Sagan
Ron_Tomkins is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd April 2010, 11:06 AM   #9
Colloden
Graduate Poster

"Your a quack and a fraud," said Deep Randi, with infinite majesty and calm.

"Everything, and I mean everything, about him creeps me out. I don't know why." -- wasapi
Colloden is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd April 2010, 11:52 AM   #10
ynot
Philosopher

Would two Randi’s make a Bright?
ynot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th April 2010, 06:06 PM   #11
SkepticScott
TAM Volunteer Guy

Randi will live on in the ideas and memes he's planted in us, won't he?

It's unlikely that a clone will have the same environment as Randi did, so it won't be the same. Deep freezing is risky, so what we need is a transporter accident like the one in that ST:TNG episode that made people younger.

International Skeptics Forum » Welcome to ISF » Other Skeptical Organizations » JREF