IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 16th July 2010, 12:19 AM   #1
RSLancastr

StopJVP - RSL in JVPLand - Miscellaneous

A couple of stories from my time there which I neglected to shoehorn into the "chapters":

Quote:
Once, when I was inVan Praagh's chat room, he was there telling us all about a small dog he had just gotten. He talked of walking the dog, etcetera. I couldn't resist, and finally said "JVP, I have to ask: Do you use a Dog Whisperer?" After a pause, he said "Robert, I AM the Dog Whisperer! No, wait - I'm the Ghost Whisperer - I keep forgetting!"
Quote:
Another time in the chat room, he was talking about what a rough day it had been, and said "I'm so tired I could just die!" Several people consoled him, then I said "But JVP, then who would you talk through - Sylvia?"
After a pause, he said "Robert, don't even go there!"

Curious about Sylvia Browne? Read about her at www.StopSylvia.com.

Ever wonder "What's the Harm?" with psychics, alternative medicine, etc?
RSLancastr is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th July 2010, 12:35 AM   #2
GrandMasterFox
Master Poster

What is the deal with him and browne?
Any particular reason why he is that "smitten" with her?
GrandMasterFox is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th July 2010, 12:41 AM   #3
RSLancastr

I have read (and he confirmed this to me) that he said some "rude" things to her on the Howard Stern Show. It may be, as has been discussed here, that she has been so thoroughly debunked that he feels the need to distance himself from her. Beyond that, your guess is as good as mine.

RSLancastr is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th July 2010, 12:53 AM   #4
GrandMasterFox
Master Poster

Originally Posted by RSLancastr View Post
I have read (and he confirmed this to me) that he said some "rude" things to her on the Howard Stern Show. It may be, as has been discussed here, that she has been so thoroughly debunked that he feels the need to distance himself from her. Beyond that, your guess is as good as mine.
Ummm... When it comes to browne no one's guess is as good as yours
GrandMasterFox is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th July 2010, 12:57 AM   #5
RSLancastr

Thanks... I think.

Old 16th July 2010, 07:51 AM   #6
ExMinister
RSL Acolyte

They can be catty about each other, especially when competing with others who are very successful.

For example, Sylvia Browne refers to Jane Robert's channeled spirit entity Seth as a product of Jane's subconscious mind, and Francine claims not to have been able to find such an entity on the Other Side doing this work, "and Francine knows all of the communicating spirit guides working this planet" (per the Novus Spiritus catechism). I could swear she also said the same thing about Ramtha and J.Z. Knight.

As I recall, she also refused to share a stage with John Edward once.
Old 18th July 2010, 12:57 PM   #7
RSLancastr

Sylvia's imaginary friend dissed Jane's imaginary friend?

Old 18th July 2010, 11:22 PM   #8
Kopji

Random Sunday night...

JVP seems to have a good sense of humor about what he does and does it intelligently. There is certainly some level that he thinks about what he does as a business with clients. Just saying that I think a humorous and capable businessperson is a more complex and difficult, humm... target. Weaker skeptical points can be actively ridiculed (instead of simply ignored) or responded to in a humorous way that gives the 'smaller skeptical arguments' less power.

JVP does not seem as likely to overreact to 'lesser' criticism, and when you brought out the heavy artillery that gave him a nice platform to call foul. At some point, what he does is not very funny but that may need to be something that people discover more gently.

Yeah, I'm just thinking out loud, this is already known...

I'd be interested in seeing if a comparison of his and Sylvia's spiritual viewpoints hold up. What is the framework in which their 'messengers' are supposed to work? Do they agree or disagree with each other? What if the same person were read by each one? Why is it that a spirit would know more of the future, or give better advice than the living would? Especially if the actual spirit communication seems so poor. "I'm getting an H that's close to you."

I've noticed that people who go to psychics tend to 'shop' around with psychics till they find one that seems to be in 'tune' with them. So there is often a pretty high emotional investment with a psychic - they did not just walk in off the street. There is a certain brand loyalty.

Does JVP ever admit to being 'wrong'? I'd be interested in how he works through that. My own experience is that there is a sense that psychics think they are always right. "they get what they get". I find that in the worst instances this is like blaming someone's "failure" for their lack of faith or trust in the message.
Kopji is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th July 2010, 07:11 PM   #9
RSLancastr

Kopji, JVP does a fair amount of "take it home and think about it" when someone says he is wrong, but he is not as harsh about it as John Edward, who seems to try hard to make peoplefeel badly for daring to say he is wrong about something.

Old 19th July 2010, 07:19 PM   #10
Lisa Simpson

My imaginary friend can beat up your imaginary friend!
Lisa Simpson is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th July 2010, 07:26 PM   #11
RSLancastr

Is Trouble imaginary?

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal