ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Notices

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags bigfoot , Bob Gimlin , Bob Heironimus , Patterson-Gimlin film , Roger Patterson

Old 27th August 2010, 11:39 PM   #2041
Manzer
Student

Yes subjective. My daughter-in-law is part native and she never looks me in the eye. It is how you are taught. I don't know what other indicators there are, but eye contact is pretty weak (as is body space as I learned when trying to buy a used car this week).
Manzer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th August 2010, 02:00 AM   #2042
tube
Muse

I attended a Sasquatch seminar in 2005 here in Seattle where Bob Gimlin was in attendance. His description of the events at Bluff Creek was remarkably short, especially considering that if he really saw a Sasquatch, it would surely be a life-changing experience.

Then again, I've had mind-blowing, life-changing experiences that were short, and that I don't remember well.

The bottom line is that it's simply IMPOSSIBLE to determine from "body language" or polygraph exams whether a person is telling the truth or not, at least with any kind of scientific rigor.

BTW, I've encountered Gimlin on two occasions, and I will chime in that he's a very charming man.

(Bigfoot) evidence doesn't look better on deeper analysis, it looks worse. David Daegling

The Bigfoot hypothesis is tested daily.
tube is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th August 2010, 02:15 AM   #2043
bozman
Muse

Seeing Gimlin on TV always makes me think of what John Wayne would have been like had he starred in a movie about hunting Bigfoots or something. He's got a great voice too.

Last edited by bozman; 28th August 2010 at 02:20 AM.
bozman is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th August 2010, 05:27 AM   #2044
MD 20/20
Student

Originally Posted by kitakaze View Post
Well, when I see Gimlin talk, he keeps doing the things that the deception experts talk about. He keeps averting his gaze and looking at the floor or in the air while he tells his story, and relies quite a bit on that used car salesman technique buttering the crowd. Bob H just looks dead at you and tells it with total confidence. I guess we are in the very subjective realm here.
That could very well be the case. One way you break through this is to pin each one down to their version of events (a transcribed or hand written statement by each of their account) and then review their stories with them and change the order of events during questioning. Start in the middle and go backwards or start at the end-jump to the beginninig, etc. Generally, a person who is describing a real event would be able to fill in all the blanks (on an incident that he himself reported) with very little effort. Conversely, if they're being untruthful then the story will crumble pretty quickly. Keep in mind, that generally someone who is being truthful will add more details upon questioning (re-approach) and a deceptive person will usually become confused fairly quickly once the questioning (on their story) starts.
Gauging truth or deception from a well told (or rehearsed) monologue, not so much. If you are looking at this level of detail for your documentary, I highly recommend that you record your preliminary interviews with the involved folks, for later review and follow-up questioning. JMO.

Last edited by MD 20/20; 28th August 2010 at 05:39 AM. Reason: content
MD 20/20 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th August 2010, 06:23 AM   #2045
SweatyYeti
Illuminator

kitakaze wrote:
Quote:
Bob H just looks dead at you and tells it with total confidence.

Yup....and that's about the size of it.....Bob's 'insider confession'....Bob 'spilling his guts'........a solid 2, maybe 3, "compelling"... ...insider details.

Remember....according to the insider, Bob....Roger said...."That was perfect".

It's easy to look straight into the camera, and say next-to-nothing....when you know that almost everybody is buying what you're selling.

tyr13: "There is no proof of bigfoot so there is no proof that bigfoot isn't a bear."

Last edited by SweatyYeti; 28th August 2010 at 06:25 AM.
SweatyYeti is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th August 2010, 11:28 AM   #2046
kitakaze
Resident DJ/NSA Supermole

Sweaty, why did Al DeAtley say he had known Bob Heironimus through Roger? Why did he say talking to Bob at the Saddle Tree sounded like something he did?

2 prints, 1 trackway, same 'dermals'? 'Unfortunately no' says Meldrum.

I want to see bigfoot throw a pig... Is that wrong? -LTC8K6
kitakaze is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th August 2010, 11:42 AM   #2047
WGBH
Graduate Poster

Well, when I see Gimlin talk, he keeps doing the things that the deception experts talk about. He keeps averting his gaze and looking at the floor or in the air while he tells his story, and relies quite a bit on that used car salesman technique buttering the crowd.

Comparing Bob Gimlin to a used car salesman is complete rubbish. Maybe he is uncomfortable speaking in public? I have had two personal conversations with Bob and been to a dinner with him and he sat right across from me and he looks you right in the eye when he talks to you.
Old 28th August 2010, 12:01 PM   #2048
GT/CS
Illuminator

The world's greatest con artists are the ones who don't look like, talk like, or act like con artists.
Old 28th August 2010, 12:01 PM   #2049
SweatyYeti
Illuminator

Sweaty, why did Al DeAtley say he had known Bob Heironimus through Roger? Why did he say talking to Bob at the Saddle Tree sounded like something he did?

I have no idea. I don't have enough free time to follow all the details of this story, very closely.

I'm just reading, looking to see if something really significant is discovered/revealed. So far, I've just seen a lot of..."He says....He says....He says...He says....etc...etc."

I do have a request, though. For the sake of clarity...and easy reference...could you possibly put together a graphic which shows the details...(times and distances)....of Heironimus' (alleged) trip up to the camp, and the actual filmsite....as described by him?

tyr13: "There is no proof of bigfoot so there is no proof that bigfoot isn't a bear."
SweatyYeti is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th August 2010, 01:22 PM   #2050
kitakaze

Originally Posted by SweatyYeti View Post
I have no idea. I don't have enough free time to follow all the details of this story, very closely.

I'm just reading, looking to see if something really significant is discovered/revealed. So far, I've just seen a lot of..."He says....He says....He says...He says....etc...etc."
I fill the details in for you because it's very, very important in establishing the validity of Bob's story. Why is it so extremely important? Because you have people, including Al, who has no reason whatsoever to lie for Bob, confirming his story. What these people say is very important whether you think the film is real or a hoax because the film is an actual hostorical event and there are numerous people involved in its history. Al DeAtley was at the very center of that history. Here you go...

Al DeAtley to Greg Long in September 2001 on being approached by Bob Heironimus asking to be paid for his in 1970 at the Saddle Tree club:

"It sounds like something I might have done. I've been there (at the Saddle Tree) and I knew Bob through Roger."

Bob Heironimus told me this was his first meeting with DeAtley. He told me he had his friend Gary with him at the time, but couldn't recall Gary's last name.

Long checks to make sure DeAtely has the right Bob. DeAtley answers...

"He had one bad eye."

Long asks why Bob would have approached him.

"I would have assumed that that meant he and Roger had a deal, and he and Roger had to work it through. I would have told him, '*F-bomb* you. Go see Roger.'"

Long tells DeAtley that Bob says he wore the suit and that after the film was shot, the film was put in a box, and Roger and Bob told him to mail it to DeAtley, which he did. DeAtely replies...

"I don't doubt that at all."

(MoB, p. 426)

Bob Heironimus to Greg Long on January 21st, 2001 on his approaching DeAtley at the Saddle Tree:

"I may have asked Bob, 'Am I ever going to be paid?' But then I saw DeAtley at the Saddle tree about six months or maybe a year later (1968), and I asked him, 'Hey, you guys owe me a a thousand dollars. Am I ever going to get paid?' He said, 'That's between you and Roger.'"

1) On Bob's side, there was him and five others at the Waylon Jennings show that were with him. Gary Record and his wife, Bob and Diane Clift (Glenda's sister), and Glenda (Bob's wife). I have personally spoken with Bob, Glenda, and Gary separately. They both tell details of Bob talking to Al that were only possible if they had either actually been there and it did happen, or they nefariously colluded with each other to concoct this story to support Bob. This is insane because no one ever interviewed Gary about this before me and they would have to remember minute details for many years without talking to anyone about it.

So were Gary and Glenda nefariously colluding and lying to me, Sweaty?

2) How did Al know Bob through Roger? How did he know him well enough to know he had a bad eye? That would take meeting him and seeing him closely and long enough to spot that he had a bad eye. It was a detail that stuck in Al's memory. See, Al can't meet Bob after the film. Roger had dumped him at that point. But how can he meet Al before that? Al said he had no involvement whatsoever in Roger's Bigfoot stuff before the film except lending Roger money for his book printing. How is it possible then that Roger is walking in the door where Al is and he has Bob with him?

If Bob is this gifted liar you make him out to be, how is this possible?

3) Al is confirming Bob's story. he says he was at the Saddle Tree and that the event sounded like something he had done. Bob said to Greg Long that Al told him to go see Roger. Greg did not tell that to Al, yet when asked about the meeting of Bob at the Saddle Tree, Al confirms what Bob says he said.

How is that possible if Bob, Glenda, and Gary made up the event and are nefariously colluding together?

Quote:
I do have a request, though. For the sake of clarity...and easy reference...could you possibly put together a graphic which shows the details...(times and distances)....of Heironimus' (alleged) trip up to the camp, and the actual filmsite....as described by him?
You have a request? That's great. I like playing tennis with people who don't mystifyingly keep serving after I've returned many of there serves and then say I'm cheating when I stop and ask for my turn to serve. You want me to put together a visual graphic for your understanding? I will glady facilitate better understanding with a person who regardless of whether they like me or not, will engage in sincere discussion where I am not called dishonest when I stop and try to have my input to the conversation.

You want me to go to the effort of composing a visual graphic for your clarity? Let's start with the concept of fair exchange. Try returning my serves. They are the things bolded with question marks at the end. "I don't know, I don't have time to think about it," is not a return. That's where you jump out of the way of the ball.

WTF? Please answer this question yes or no: Based on the same logic you are trying to finagle me into using, is it reasonable to think that invisible one-legged lobster hand aliens are abducting people from America?

1) When you said CC Bob had hand extensions inside the suit, how are we not supposed to understand the obvious reference to objects independent from the suit itself?

2) Were Bob, Glenda, and Gary lying to me about Al DeAtley and Bob at the Saddle Tree in 1970?

3) Were Bob, Gary, Howard, and Bernard lying about the suit at the Idle Hour?

4) When will you give us a physical demonstration with real arms and a body that nullifies the DAZ and Poser physics engines and show both can not handle simple rotation? What have you done so far in this effort?

5) Do you accept Aaron Wheeler's polygraph results that indicated him as being deceptive as a good reason to think he lied to you in Ohio about encountering Bigfoot?

6) Why are we talking about the hypothetical situation of Bob Gimlin passing a polygraph? Why won't you discuss the actual two polygraphs that Heironimus did pass? Why aren't we discussing the very problematic discrepancies and contradictions in Bob Gimlin's story?

7) Sweaty, do BH's contradictions indicate he is lying about being Patty? If so, why do you not equally take BG's contradictions and discrepancies to mean he is lying?

kitakaze is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th August 2010, 02:01 PM   #2051
SweatyYeti
Illuminator

kitakaze wrote:
Quote:
You want me to go to the effort of composing a visual graphic for your clarity?

Not just mine. Again, this is what I wrote...

Quote:
For the sake of clarity...and easy reference...could you possibly put together a graphic which shows the details...(times and distances)..

I didn't mention myself in that statement.

It was a suggestion, as well as a request.

The analysis I do, I'm doing for the sake of the analysis itself...and for people in general....not for any one particular person.
Regarding Bob's alleged trip up to the filmsite to meet Roger and Bob...there have been conflicting viewpoints on the accuracy of what Bob said.....and I think a graphic which shows the details of his trip, according to him, might be a great way for people to visualize exactly what the deal is...as far as the distances involved, the timeline, the mode of transportation, and type of terrain.

Along that same line....(literally)....a 'timeline chart', or two, might be helpful ....in putting some of the "facts" of the case into an easy format to see, and follow.

Last edited by SweatyYeti; 28th August 2010 at 02:03 PM.
Old 28th August 2010, 02:47 PM   #2052
kitakaze

I didn't mention myself in that statement.

It was a suggestion, as well as a request.
That's nice. I have a suggestion, as well as a request.

Return my serves to you and don't say I'm dishonest, cheating, or scared when I stop returning a long line of your serves to ask that you start returning some of mine. It's ludicrous, absurd, unfair, disingenous, and actually dishonest of you.

Please answer the questions in my previous post.

Old 28th August 2010, 05:04 PM   #2053
WGBH
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by GT/CS View Post
The world's greatest con artists are the ones who don't look like, talk like, or act like con artists.
But that was not the statement made. He was accused of being sheepish and not making eye contact AND being like a used car salesman which are two different things anyway and neither fits the Bob Gimlin I met.
Old 28th August 2010, 06:04 PM   #2054
GT/CS
Illuminator

Originally Posted by WGBH View Post
But that was not the statement made. He was accused of being sheepish and not making eye contact AND being like a used car salesman which are two different things anyway and neither fits the Bob Gimlin I met.
It was directed at you, and your comment that Gimlin looked you in the eye.

People who con poorly find something else to do or they learn to con well. It's been how many years since the PGF? Lots of time to practice.
Old 28th August 2010, 06:05 PM   #2055
DennyT
Master Poster

kit wrote:
Quote:
He says that Roger took Bob to Mt. St. Helens on Friday of the Labour Day weekend and they returned on Monday.
So, this is interesting. Hodgson called Patterson about the Bluff Creek tracks after Green and Dahinden left. Basically this would have been the weekend after Labor Day. Patterson was supposedly at Mt. St. Helens when Hodgson called. Memory failure? or did Patterson go to Mt. St. Helens every weekend? Why would they go to Mt. St. Helens?

I think P and G were at Bluff Creek on Labor Day, making three sets of prints. Why 3 tracks? That is extraordinary. Multiple tracks!! When did that ever happen? Why would one hoaxer or even two make 3 tracks?

imho, it's possible that Wallace arranged the trackmaking, or helped. Remember Wallace said he told them where to go. I have this vision of Wallace, Patterson and Gimlin walking down a road, each wearing stompers. BYO stompers. Certainly at least one track was a Wallace stomper.

Last edited by DennyT; 28th August 2010 at 06:31 PM.
DennyT is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th August 2010, 06:25 PM   #2056
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

Green said that Hodgson was already expecting Roger...that maybe Hodgson had already called Roger.

2 prints, same midtarsal crock..., I mean break?
LTC8K6 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th August 2010, 06:31 PM   #2057
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

Driving the hard logging roads at night, hoping to be able to spot tracks crossing the road, seems pretty dubious, come to think of it...

LTC8K6 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th August 2010, 06:44 PM   #2058
DennyT
Master Poster

speaking of stompers, I was reading some Green (Sasquatch: The Apes Among Us, p. 115); after camping out for several days near Mt. St. Helens, as he was leaving, Patterson stopped in at a nearby ranch, and low and behold, there were big footprints.....wonder how they got there.....
Quote:
In July, 1966, [Patterson] saw 18 inch tracks on Charlie Erion's ranch near Woodland, Washington. The tracks were much like those of "Bigfoot," but a little narrower and with a more elongated heel less than 4 inches wide.
That is a pretty large and distinctive track, even for bigfoot......
Now if you happen to have The Making of Bigfoot on your desk, turn to p. 390, and read about the size and proportion of the stompers/casts that Patterson showed Harvey Anderson around 1961. If you don't have MOB, take my word for it: the second cast/stomper that Patterson brought in for Anderson to look at was of similar dimensions to the Woodland tracks.

Last edited by DennyT; 28th August 2010 at 07:41 PM.
DennyT is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th August 2010, 06:45 PM   #2059
DennyT
Master Poster

Hodgson specifically said he waited to call Roger until after Green left. I can look it up but I am completely certain of this.
Old 28th August 2010, 07:01 PM   #2060
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

Quote:
Hodgson specifically said he waited to call Roger until after Green left. I can look it up but I am completely certain of this.
How would you determine who is remembering correctly?

Why would Hodgson need to wait for Green to leave to talk to Roger?

Old 28th August 2010, 07:55 PM   #2061
DennyT
Master Poster

I'll try to find the quote but its seems like he didn't want Patterson stepping on Green's toes; he definitely had a relationship with Green, and Green had the big rep, with all the scientists and the dog and all, while Patterson was just an unusual and threadbare guy who had stopped in once or twice. Yes, Patterson had published his little book, but who knew if Hodgson had seen it, and anyway most of the book was basically Green's stuff.

There is no necessity at this point to figure out whose memory failed, as there is really no conflict between the stories. P and G headed south for Labor Day, and they came back. Then they went south again. They said they went to Mt. St. Helens both times. While they were gone the second time, Hodgson called. I don't believe they were interested in Mt. St. Helens. They told everybody and their dogs that they were going to film bigfoot at Bluff Creek, and they did. Why would they be going somewhere else at that point?

I'm just not a trusting guy, I guess.

Last edited by DennyT; 28th August 2010 at 08:12 PM.
Old 28th August 2010, 07:56 PM   #2062
WGBH
Graduate Poster

It was directed at you, and your comment that Gimlin looked you in the eye.

People who con poorly find something else to do or they learn to con well. It's been how many years since the PGF? Lots of time to practice.
Lots of people look me in the eye. Are they all con men?
Old 28th August 2010, 08:10 PM   #2063
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by parnassus View Post
I'll try to find the quote but its seems like he didn't want Patterson stepping on Green's toes; he definitely had a relationship with Green, and Green had the big rep, with all the scientists and the dog and all, while Patterson was just a guy who had stopped in once or twice. Yes, Patterson had published his little book, but who knew if Hodgson had seen it, and anyway most of the book was basically Green's stuff.

Or Green might smell a rat if he were on scene.

Old 28th August 2010, 08:14 PM   #2064
GT/CS
Illuminator

kit wrote:

So, this is interesting. Hodgson called Patterson about the Bluff Creek tracks after Green and Dahinden left. Basically this would have been the weekend after Labor Day. Patterson was supposedly at Mt. St. Helens when Hodgson called. Memory failure? or did Patterson go to Mt. St. Helens every weekend? Why would they go to Mt. St. Helens?

I think P and G were at Bluff Creek on Labor Day, making three sets of prints. Why 3 tracks? That is extraordinary. Multiple tracks!! When did that ever happen? Why would one hoaxer or even two make 3 tracks?

imho, it's possible that Wallace arranged the trackmaking, or helped. Remember Wallace said he told them where to go. I have this vision of Wallace, Patterson and Gimlin walking down a road, each wearing stompers. BYO stompers. Certainly at least one track was a Wallace stomper.
Was Patterson somewhere that had a telephone? Was he camping out in the forest or was he near civilization?
Old 28th August 2010, 09:39 PM   #2065
DennyT
Master Poster

Hodgson at this point says he can't remember who he talked to, Patterson or Patterson's wife. The story has always been it was the wife, and she relayed it to him when he got home from Mt. St. Helens. They actually didn't have their own phone. So who knows. I think it is possible that Hodgson talked to the neighbor whose phone the Pattersons used, and she "relayed it to Patterson when he got home from", say, a pinball tournament.
Old 28th August 2010, 09:49 PM   #2066
DennyT
Master Poster

It is true, as others have pointed out, bigfoot tracks seemed to magically appear wherever Patterson happened to be. What I did not realize is that in several cases, the tracks seemed to match the proportions of the stomper he made around 1961 with guidance from Harvey Anderson. During his 1964 visit to Bluff Creek, giant tracks "appeared" on Leard Meadow Road:
Quote:
17 inches long and 5 inches across the heel.
(Green op cit p. 115, from Patterson)

Last edited by DennyT; 28th August 2010 at 09:52 PM.
Old 28th August 2010, 10:00 PM   #2067
DennyT
Master Poster

There was a phone somewhere near Hodgson's store in Willow Creek, that Patterson used to call Hodgson at 615 after the store closed at 6 pm. Certainly there was no phone in Louse Camp where they camped on the 20th.
Old 28th August 2010, 10:19 PM   #2068
GT/CS
Illuminator

Hodgson at this point says he can't remember who he talked to, Patterson or Patterson's wife. The story has always been it was the wife, and she relayed it to him when he got home from Mt. St. Helens. They actually didn't have their own phone. So who knows. I think it is possible that Hodgson talked to the neighbor whose phone the Pattersons used, and she "relayed it to Patterson when he got home from", say, a pinball tournament.
So Patterson wasn't at Mt St Helens when he got the message, he was at home?
The story has always made me think that he was at Mt St Helens when he heard about the footprints, he suddenly dropped everything and went to California.

Last edited by GT/CS; 28th August 2010 at 10:21 PM.
GT/CS is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th August 2010, 11:18 PM   #2069
DennyT
Master Poster

Dr. Donald Grieve, British anatomist/gait expert, describing PattyBob, unknowingly describing the effect of the shoulder pads on a normal man in a suit (as paraphrased by Green, in Sasquatch/Apes, p. 126):
Quote:
...the height of the fingertips above ground and of the hip joint are a similar proportion of the total height to what would be expected in a human, but that the shoulders are about six per cent higher and 30 per cent wider.
and the effect of this, would be, and is, to make the arms look longer:
Quote:
That means that the arms are only slightly longer than a human's but because of the wide shoulders the arm span would be considerably greater, as it obviously is in the picture. Arms outstretched it would span at least eight feet.

Last edited by DennyT; 28th August 2010 at 11:24 PM.
Old 29th August 2010, 10:38 AM   #2070
DennyT
Master Poster

Originally Posted by LTC8K6 View Post
Green said that Hodgson was already expecting Roger...that maybe Hodgson had already called Roger.
I believe that Hodgson was referring to October 20, when Patterson showed up with his big news. He was expecting him to show up sooner. It had been six weeks, roughly, since Hodgson had called him. Hodgson thought Patterson would come immediately....someone who is supposedly interested in filming tracks. Well, of course they actually were back and forth to Bluff Creek several times, but Patterson and Gimlin never told anyone at Willow Creek they were there, never asked for any help finding the tracks, never stopped to shoot the breeze or buy supplies at Willow Creek, until they had all their ducks in a row, on Oct. 20.
Old 29th August 2010, 10:46 AM   #2071
DennyT
Master Poster

It is interesting to consider whether Patterson expected Green and Dahinden to show up after he, Gimlin and/or Wallace made the tracks (in this scenario) over Labor Day weekend, or whether it came as a surprise. I'm sure that Patterson was just pleased that someone found the tracks before the roadgraders obliterated them. Either way, it worked out pretty well for Patterson, as the two experts and the scientists really endorsed the authenticity of the tracks, setting the stage for the film, and giving Patterson grounds for the line about calling Gimlin back because Patterson was afraid of "the other two." Ha ha. The "other two" who made the tracks were probably Gimlin and Wallace!!

The beauty of Green's and Dahinden's visit, of course, for us, is that they so beautifully filmed the Labor Day trackway made, we now know, by a Wallace stomper.

Last edited by DennyT; 29th August 2010 at 10:57 AM.
Old 29th August 2010, 11:20 AM   #2072
DennyT
Master Poster

So Patterson wasn't at Mt St Helens when he got the message, he was at home?
The story has always made me think that he was at Mt St Helens when he heard about the footprints, he suddenly dropped everything and went to California.
P and G have always said they were at Mt. St. H. But we don't really know where they were or even who answered the phone.

He certainly didn't drop everything and go to California. By the best story, it was three weeks before they got there. Gimlin says he had to arrange things, for his horses to be fed, etc, before he could leave. How many weeks would that have taken to arrange?? What were they doing during those three weeks? I imagine Patterson was altering the Morris suit, making the mask.

Last edited by DennyT; 29th August 2010 at 11:23 AM.
Old 29th August 2010, 11:47 AM   #2073
DennyT
Master Poster

Not knowing the terrain at Bluff Creek, it is interesting to me that Green says that when he came with McLarin the next summer, he discovered that the film site was only a few hundred yards from where they had found the tracks in September. I had assumed the tracks were quite a ways from the film site.
So this perhaps ties the trackmakers to the filmmakers a bit more closely.......
Old 29th August 2010, 01:39 PM   #2074
DennyT
Master Poster

Originally Posted by tube View Post
Things have progressed quite a bit since Napier's time. The best skeptical book on Bigfoot is David Daegling's:

http://www.amazon.com/Bigfoot-Expose.../dp/0759105391

Daegling is certainly qualified.
Napier (concerning the terrain of the Bluff Creek area, the epicenter of 'footery): ...a wooded mountainous region of forty square miles covered with dense coniferous vegetation with a heavy understorey of manzanita.... There is no a priori reason why quite a sizeable population of Sasquatch should not hide itself in these mountains and remain undiscovered; no reason, that is, if they were a species that could survive without eating...impoverished [in food supply], even in summer, let alone winter... Bigfoot, p. 83
Old 29th August 2010, 09:08 PM   #2075
DennyT
Master Poster

One of Patterson's compatriots was Prentis Beck, a talented man. Beck helped Patterson with the minature stagecoach project. Patterson listed Beck in the acknowledgment page of his Bigfoot book. Les Johnson, the man who bought land from Pat Patterson's grandfather in the Ahtanum Valley, and successfully resuscitated Roger Patterson four times when he was dying:
Quote:
....saw a Bigfoot cast that Prentis had. He kept it under the seat of his pickup. Prentis spun a pretty good story to go with the cast. ...I was told that the casts were made from big clown's feet. They were eighteen inches long. Someone who ran with that bunch set up something and made some footprints.
Making of Bigfoot, p. 45-6.

Last edited by DennyT; 29th August 2010 at 09:09 PM.
Old 30th August 2010, 04:03 AM   #2076
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

Napier is the fellow who apparently could not see Patty's feet when he was first shown the PGF, causing me to wonder what version they showed to him...

Old 30th August 2010, 04:18 AM   #2077
SweatyYeti
Illuminator

P and G have always said they were at Mt. St. H.

But we don't really know where they were or even who answered the phone.

And, in the same post....parnassus wrote:

Quote:
What were they doing during those three weeks?

I imagine Patterson was altering the Morris suit, making the mask.

parny....you're doing such a good job of "figuring it all out"...via your imagination.....why don't you just answer all of your questions, yourself??

Old 30th August 2010, 04:50 AM   #2078
kitakaze

Sweaty, you claimed I am not answering the questions you give me. You said I was being dishonest. You said I was ignoring questions. You said I was squirming. I have answered every single one of your many serves. I have addressed them sincerely and immediately. I have been trying ironically to get you to return my own serves. Can you please answer the bolded questions in post #2050? They are completely relevant and not in any way hypothetical.

Old 31st August 2010, 11:33 AM   #2079
DennyT
Master Poster

Here is the skinny: Al Hodgson did not call Green when the Labor Day tracks were found. Apparently Syl McCoy did. Apparently Hodgson did not know about the tracks, when out of the blue, Green, whom Al had never met, called, asking him to meet him at the Orleans airport, because McCoy had been called away on account of a fire. So boom there are Green, Dahinden, the tracking dog, trainer and the whole extravaganza sitting in Al's lap. Hodgson says that he didn't think it was right to call Roger in on top of Green, so he waited to call Roger until after Green left.

Last edited by DennyT; 31st August 2010 at 12:12 PM.
Old 31st August 2010, 12:11 PM   #2080
Drewbot
Illuminator

parny....you're doing such a good job of "figuring it all out"...via your imagination.....why don't you just answer all of your questions, yourself??
What my head does when Sweaty posts technicolor.
Drewbot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal