ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 15th September 2010, 07:41 AM   #1
cratorius
Student

Norwegian medium tricked by BBC

THis makes me embarrassed to be a norwegian.

A known medium visited a new corp circle i Britain, and she telle about "the energies" that she can feel there. Later it becomes clear that the crop circles are human made, comissioned by BBC as a commercial for the program QI.

Watch film with subtitles:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ocf5m...ayer_embedded#!

News stories i Norwegian (use google translate)

http://fritanke.no/NYHETER/2010/Nors..._rundt_av_BBC/

http://fritanke.no/NYHETER/2010/Toru...menneskeskapt/
cratorius is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th September 2010, 07:56 AM   #2
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

Originally Posted by cratorius View Post

A known medium visited a new corp circle i Britain, and she telle about "the energies" that she can feel there. Later it becomes clear that the crop circles are human made, comissioned by BBC as a commercial for the program QI.

Watch film with subtitles:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ocf5m...ayer_embedded#!

News stories i Norwegian (use google translate)

http://fritanke.no/NYHETER/2010/Nors..._rundt_av_BBC/

http://fritanke.no/NYHETER/2010/Toru...menneskeskapt/
Nonsense knows no borders.
Resume is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th September 2010, 08:13 AM   #3
Weak Kitten
Graduate Poster

Wonderful. I've always wanted to take a crop circle expert to a man made crop circle and see if they could tell the difference. Wonder if they would find those exploded nodule thingies they are always going on about.
Weak Kitten is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th September 2010, 08:39 AM   #4
Nursefoxfire
Graduate Poster

So even after the 3rd woman showed her the overall picture (the letter "i" inside a magnifying glass), she didn't get that it was man-made? I may have missed something. At any point, was it explained to her that it was an advertising gimmick?
Nursefoxfire is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th September 2010, 09:48 AM   #5
leon_heller
Graduate Poster

They don't get crop circles in Norway, presumably, otherwise she wouldn't have bothered to come all this way to see one. Perhaps they don't have the right sort of crops, being so far North.

Last edited by leon_heller; 15th September 2010 at 09:50 AM.
leon_heller is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th September 2010, 10:01 AM   #6
talkie toaster
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by leon_heller View Post
They don't get crop circles in Norway, presumably, otherwise she wouldn't have bothered to come all this way to see one. Perhaps they don't have the right sort of crops, being so far North.
It's a quality fail !!.

The bit about wrong sort of crops sounds like an old British Rail excuse:- "We apologise for the cancellation of the 8:35 to Runcorn, this was due to the wrong sort of crops in Norway,will passengers pleased be advised that Derek and Neville from TopsWheels Taxis will be running a shuttle service for up to 3 people from the front of the station concourse, providing you are not carrying luggage, in which case you will have to wait for Dave, Nevilles brother in law who has a Transit and will be available when he finishes his shift at the Fish Finger factory and has run Tracy to the hairdressers, she has got a Hen do tonight and is on the pull."
talkie toaster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th September 2010, 10:19 AM   #7
Safe-Keeper
Philosopher

Now she's saying it doesn't matter if it's man-made. Right, I suppose the energies rush into whatever happens to have a certain shape in a corn field.

[/appeal to ridicule]
Old 15th September 2010, 12:02 PM   #8
bjornart
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Nursefoxfire View Post
So even after the 3rd woman showed her the overall picture (the letter "i" inside a magnifying glass), she didn't get that it was man-made? I may have missed something. At any point, was it explained to her that it was an advertising gimmick?
She's a daft TV-psychic. Her livelihood is going where the production company sends her and telling the camera she's feeling "energies", or meeting the people they put next to her on a sofa and telling them how much "energy" is surrounding them. However I reckon she's oblivious enough not to really notice it was man made from a small picture.

The statement through the company spokesman about how her ravings were about the whole trip, that they also visited a different crop circle (no information about where), and that it doesn't really matter if it's man made or not, as there are powerful "energies" in either, is just ridiculous.
Old 15th September 2010, 10:44 PM   #9
tim
Lasiorhinus latifrons
Combat Division

Brilliant! Stephen Fry will be at TAM London...................

Hubbard's Law: Don't take life too seriously; you won't get out of it alive.
tim is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th September 2010, 10:58 PM   #10
mactonite
Critical Thinker

Perfect example of standard reaction to being exposed. All of the exposed seem to do the same thing and elude fraud admission and embarrassment by acting confused or even pretending that there is a plausible explanation to the actual gag. It is sort of hilarious in a sick way. If anybody has video of someone being exposed and coming right out with admission to being a fraud, please post it.

Last edited by mactonite; 16th September 2010 at 12:21 AM. Reason: spell correct
mactonite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th September 2010, 11:27 PM   #11
Zep
Banned

The proper title of this thread should be "Norwegian medium tricked by FAILING TO GRASP ACTUAL REALITY!"
Zep is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th September 2010, 03:33 AM   #12
Matty1973
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by mactonite View Post
... If anybody has video of someone being exposed and coming right out with admission to being a fraud, please post it.
I think there was a BBC show where they made up a fake history of a factory (possibly a chocolate factory) on Wikipedia/internet and then invited several psychics to come and do their stuff. Not surprisingly they all regurgitated the made up stories and to be fair to one of them (a woman I think) she held her hands up and said yes you have caught me when presented with the facts.

I'll have a look and see if I can find a clip online. I remember something about horses/coaches being part of the fictional story too.
Matty1973 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th September 2010, 03:54 AM   #13
Matty1973
Critical Thinker

Hmmn - I guess my memory is not 100% accurate but it is roughly right. The show is here with the woman exposed at 6 mins where she starts to admit she had researched the internet first then denies it saying a friend told her. Later at 8 mins when directly asked if she cheated she does say yes.

The other two exposed psychics did exactly as mactonite says "elude fraud admission and embarrassment by acting confused or even pretending that there is a plausible explanation to the actual gag"
Matty1973 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th September 2010, 05:45 AM   #14
Mojo
Mostly harmless

"...when you move into the crop circle one should ensure to let go of all control and everything that can restrain the experience." Like your brain, for example.

"The poor mystic homeopaths feel like petted house-cats thrown at high flood on the breaking ice." - Leon Trotsky
Mojo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th September 2010, 06:15 AM   #15
Paul C. Anagnostopoulos
Nap, interrupted.

Originally Posted by Weak Kitten
Wonderful. I've always wanted to take a crop circle expert to a man made crop circle and see if they could tell the difference.
Tell the difference between a man-made crop circle and one made by ... what?

~~ Paul

RIP Mr. Skinny, Tim
Paul C. Anagnostopoulos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th September 2010, 06:21 AM   #16
quarky
Banned

A few of the more famous circle makers began to get up-set by their joke going too far, so they would post the graph of their next circle, on-line, before doing it.
Still, there were believers who wouldn't accept the reality.

It would be very cool, if or when the aliens come, that they would make a few crop circles, just to show they had a sense of humor.
quarky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th September 2010, 06:29 AM   #17
Dr.Sid
Graduate Poster

There was small crop circle fever few years back here in Czech Republic. UFOlogists ALWAYS responded. And circle makers in several cases reported the circle before it was made (with only rough location and time of course). Still the circles was always 'classified' as genuine, not human made, bent straws were always found, and often 'geomagnetic anomalies', though who knows what was it, the guy detected it using dowsing rods.
Dr.Sid is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th September 2010, 06:30 AM   #18
Spindrift
Time Person of the Year, 2006

Originally Posted by quarky View Post
A few of the more famous circle makers began to get up-set by their joke going too far, so they would post the graph of their next circle, on-line, before doing it.
Still, there were believers who wouldn't accept the reality.

It would be very cool, if or when the aliens come, that they would make a few crop circles, just to show they had a sense of humor.
No, when they do show up they should go to "abductees" and say, "Let us show you how alien probing is really done."
Spindrift is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th September 2010, 07:02 AM   #19
Dave Rogers
Bandaged ice that stampedes inexpensively through a scribbled morning waving necessary ankles

On a more positive note, it makes me proud to be British!

Dave
Me: So what you're saying is that, if the load carrying ability of the lower structure is reduced to the point where it can no longer support the load above it, it will collapse without a jolt, right?

Tony Szamboti: That is right
Dave Rogers is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th September 2010, 07:16 AM   #20
grayman
Happy-go-lucky Heretic

Originally Posted by Dave Rogers View Post
On a more positive note, it makes me proud to be British!

Dave
Before you get too proud...

All great truths begin as blasphemies. - George Bernard Shaw

God is evil. As soon as you accept that, it all makes sense. - Sledge
grayman is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th September 2010, 10:59 AM   #21
quarky
Banned

Yeah, there is that.
quarky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th September 2010, 12:53 PM   #22
Yithmas
Scholar

Oh how absolutely delightful!
Yithmas is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th September 2010, 12:02 AM   #23
nathan
Zygoticly Phased

'when you move into a crop circle one should ensure to let go of all control'
you poop your pants?
Old 17th September 2010, 02:06 PM   #24
George 152
Philosopher

Originally Posted by nathan View Post
'when you move into a crop circle one should ensure to let go of all control'
you poop your pants?
Amid crop circle believers it would never be noticed
George 152 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th September 2010, 05:04 PM   #25
saraban

Originally Posted by grayman View Post
As crop circles go, that's one of the best.
saraban is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal