ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Notices

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Japan earthquake , Japan incidents , nuclear power issues

Old 15th March 2011, 04:44 PM   #641
Eddie Dane
Philosopher

This was a terrible evening of tv watching.

My wife eats that crap up, and she is really emotional about it too becuase she is from Bavaria which experienced a major nuke scare during Chernobyl.

The whole evening was jam packed with deformed children, Chernobyl, failing reactors, lists of security failures etc etc
And not one counter voice.

I am not surprised people are scared witless.

If it wasn't for this forum I'd think that a massive radioactive cloud was on its way to Tokyo.

We can scold the general public for being uninformed, but what can they do?
State tv is misinforming them on their own tax money.

If yxou had watched the program, you'd think that the only pro nuclear people are greedy , lying politicians.

They even had a medical segment with a radiation dermatologist explaining the devestating effects of radiation on the skin.
He analised photos of - you guessed it- victims of the Chernobyl disaster.
Eddie Dane is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th March 2011, 04:52 PM   #642
quixotecoyote
Howling to glory I go

Originally Posted by Buckaroo View Post
I'm usually a champion of NPR as a news source but their reporting on this story (at least on Morning Edition and All Things Considered) has been appallingly bad, spreading all kinds of misinformation, though I don't necessarily think its deliberate. It's just sloppy. I'm considering sending a nastygram to Richard Harris in particular, for his sky-is-falling reporting on M.E.

I think you can safely ignore what they say on the subject.
Their constant reference to it as a "nuclear disaster" was fairly grating as well.
Old 15th March 2011, 05:07 PM   #643
OMGturt1es
Muse

I'm usually a champion of NPR as a news source but their reporting on this story (at least on Morning Edition and All Things Considered) has been appallingly bad, spreading all kinds of misinformation, though I don't necessarily think its deliberate. It's just sloppy. I'm considering sending a nastygram to Richard Harris in particular, for his sky-is-falling reporting on M.E.

I've been sick and working from home, so I haven't been listening to NPR during my commute. What does the story to which I linked get wrong? What does it get right? What are the best and worst case scenarios? What is the most likely scenario?

From my non-expert perspective, things seem to have gotten worse in the last 24 hours or so. Prior to this, some obviously knowledgeable folk were often commenting here and elsewhere. With their input, my overall assessment was that most damage would be financial and brand related. From my non-expert perspective, things now appear different, so I should update my assessment.

What do the fires mean? About what should we be reasonably worried? About what should we not worry? I'd do more research on my own, but this is well beyond my field, I'm sick, and I'm trying to stay productive working from home so I don't have to burn my precious PTO.
Old 15th March 2011, 05:11 PM   #644
Ranb
Philosopher

Originally Posted by bobdroege7 View Post
It says 400 mS beside Unit 3. Without additional information, this data is nearly useless. Given only this information and your training (I was class 8401 in Orlando) how would you make a decision whether or not to work in the vicinity of Unit 3 and what precautions you would take?

While these levels are high, the precautions that most people would take to reduce exposure are simple. Stay away from it, far away, like outside of the fence.

Ranb

Last edited by Ranb; 15th March 2011 at 05:12 PM.
Ranb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th March 2011, 05:30 PM   #645
Christian Klippel
Master Poster

Wow, it seems that we, and especially MattusMaximus, stepped massively onto Greg Laden's toes.

He's doing quite a bit of complaining here.

Greetings,

Chris
Christian Klippel is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th March 2011, 05:40 PM   #646
pipelineaudio
Illuminator

whats greg laden's handle on here? Or where was it they stepped on his toes?
Old 15th March 2011, 05:50 PM   #647
BenBurch
Gatekeeper of The Left

Originally Posted by Christian Klippel View Post
Wow, it seems that we, and especially MattusMaximus, stepped massively onto Greg Laden's toes.

Greetings,

Chris
He can feel put upon all he wants, but if he wants to complain about us, doing it behind our backs isn't nice. He needs to come here and have his say.
Old 15th March 2011, 05:54 PM   #648
Hindmost
Illuminator

Greetings,

Chris
Dunning--Kruger....Greg didn't even attempt to correct any errors and just launched the typical--holier than the FSM--ad hom. There is a big difference between opinion and facts on this issue. He is just sooooooooo predictable.

Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence

Carl Sagan
Hindmost is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th March 2011, 06:07 PM   #649
Christian Klippel
Master Poster

Originally Posted by pipelineaudio View Post
whats greg laden's handle on here? Or where was it they stepped on his toes?
Well, that's what he fails to explain, of course. However, JREF is mentioned twice in his blog posting:

Quote:
The funny thing is, as these comments have come in on my blog (and at JREF and other fora) specifically explaining how Greg Laden Haz It Rong!!!
Quote:
Once again, the JREF forum has produced something other than thoughtful deliberation. Once again I and others are being told to shut up or worse, to say specific things and not say other things, or risk being labeled as pariah in the skeptical community.
So, there clearly must have been something that we did that upsets him. But he won't tell, just complain about it.

On the bright side, comments #13 and #16 bring some perspective into the overall situation regarding risks and pollution from nuclear vs. coal plants.

Greetings,

Chris
Christian Klippel is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th March 2011, 06:08 PM   #650
Travis
Misanthrope of the Mountains

Originally Posted by Skwinty View Post
Nonsense, once the fuel has spent sufficient time in the spent fuel pool, it can be boxed up and kept in dry storage with very little radiation emanating from the box.

It can then be loaded onto trucks, trains or planes and shipped anywhere.
You are apparently unaware of the huge protest movement against moving nuclear stuff that erupted in the USA back in the 90's. They wanted to move spent fuel in special reinforced train cars which the activists dubbed "Death Trains" and then proceeded to march on the tracks preventing them from moving. Eventually they agreed to just keep the stuff in storage on site.
Old 15th March 2011, 06:12 PM   #651
bobdroege7
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Ranb View Post
It says 400 mS beside Unit 3. Without additional information, this data is nearly useless. Given only this information and your training (I was class 8401 in Orlando) how would you make a decision whether or not to work in the vicinity of Unit 3 and what precautions you would take?

While these levels are high, the precautions that most people would take to reduce exposure are simple. Stay away from it, far away, like outside of the fence.

Ranb

It would be worth working for an hour there if it would result in restoring MW levels of electrical power.

It seems to me that using fire pump to pump borated water into the reactor vessel is only doing something to be doing something. They need thousands of gallons per minute flowing into the reactor, not the measly output of the pumps they are using.

Graduate of a liberal arts college!

Faster play faster faster play faster
bobdroege7 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th March 2011, 06:14 PM   #652
BenBurch
Gatekeeper of The Left

Originally Posted by Travis View Post
You are apparently unaware of the huge protest movement against moving nuclear stuff that erupted in the USA back in the 90's. They wanted to move spent fuel in special reinforced train cars which the activists dubbed "Death Trains" and then proceeded to march on the tracks preventing them from moving. Eventually they agreed to just keep the stuff in storage on site.
In spite of;

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
Old 15th March 2011, 06:23 PM   #653
Christian Klippel
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Travis View Post
What? They marched on the tracks? How cute!

Look what they do over here. These and these images are from February this year. And we have that every time the Castor trains roll.

Klick through the image galleries there.

Yes, they tied themselves to the tracks in a way that they actually had to cut the tracks to get these people away.

Marching on the tracks ... Pff ... What a bunch of beginners

Greetings,

Chris

Edit: And yeah, thanks to such people the spent fuel has to be stored on-site, usually on or above ground level, instead of being burried in a mountain or somewhere. Makes it sooooo much safer. Not.

Last edited by Christian Klippel; 15th March 2011 at 06:26 PM.
Old 15th March 2011, 06:56 PM   #654
qarnos
Cold-hearted skeptic

Greetings,

Chris
Who is Greg Laden and why should anyone care?
Old 15th March 2011, 06:57 PM   #655
Sunstealer
Master Poster

Those hydrogen explosions that have been on the news and TEPCO admitting that the core water level in the three reactors are half full, recovering from dried and half full, indicate to me that this is a full on complete meltdown in all three reactors.

In two of those they are admitting that there is fuel damage and they are venting the containment, which means that we have a continuing uncontrolled release of fission products to the atmosphere.
There are very brief moments in my life when I wish that the internet was just turned off - reading your post was one of them.
Sunstealer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th March 2011, 07:08 PM   #656
JihadJane
Penultimate Satisfaction

Edit: And yeah, thanks to such people the spent fuel has to be stored on-site, usually on or above ground level, instead of being burried in a mountain or somewhere. Makes it sooooo much safer. Not.
Who's spinning rubbish now? "Such people" have got absolutely nothing to do with why the Japanese keep spent fuel on-site.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

Last edited by JihadJane; 15th March 2011 at 07:10 PM.
JihadJane is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th March 2011, 07:10 PM   #657
bobdroege7
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Sunstealer View Post
There are very brief moments in my life when I wish that the internet was just turned off - reading your post was one of them.
Well turn off your computer and turn on the tv, can we agree it's a 6 now?

Graduate of a liberal arts college!

Faster play faster faster play faster
bobdroege7 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th March 2011, 07:36 PM   #658
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by armageddonman View Post
I'm ashamed of being German these days.

German politians are claiming that this will bring the end of nuclear power worldwide.

Yeah, it is pretty scary to see so many German buying into hysteric woo. Bad historicall precedent. Very Bad.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th March 2011, 07:37 PM   #659
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Anderson Cooper on CNN tonight was just as bad.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th March 2011, 07:39 PM   #660
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Also, this is how anti-nuclear people work here in Germany:

1) Complain about nuke power being somewhat subsidized, but never mention that renewable energy is highly subsidized

2) Complain that the operation of nukes costs so much money, but then go ahead making massive protests & demonstrations at, and tie themselves to, the train tracks of the Castor transports. This causes extreme delays in the transport, requires way more police personnel then normally required for that longer time. And last time, the managed to tie them to the tracks in such a way that workers had to actually cut these tracks apart and repair them afterwards.

3) Complain about the fact that there is no suitable terminal storage facility, but actively work against getting one built.

4) Complain about old, unsafe reactors, but force the government to ban companies from building new and safer ones. At the same time this also causes the companies to keep the old ones running even longer, prolonging the risk.

For example,here in Germany, if you have a photo-voltaic system running (solar cells), the energy companies are forced to buy that electricity, and the PV owner gets about 43 Euro-Cent per kilowatt-hour. Regular electricity costs "only" about 13 or 14 Euro-Cent per kW/h. And in that price there is the added premium of 3 or 4 Cents per kW/h included that results from the "Erneuerbare Energien Gesetz (EEG)", which means "renewable energies law".

This means that _everyone_ has to pay a premium to keep that system alive. I'm absolutely sure that if those people who have contracts for getting only renewable energy instead of the regular energy mix, would have to pay the _full_ price, they surely would be the first ones to scream "we want nukes!". After all, that price would be at least 50 to 60 Cent per kW/h, if the PV owners already get 43 Cent....

And they have the balls to complain that nuclear energy is partially subsidized. Hypocrisy at it's finest, i tell you.

Let's not forget that they also want to have electric cars everywhere instead of combustion engines. But somehow they don't spend a minute thinking about where that amount of electricity should come from. Let alone the problems of manufacturing and disposing suitable batteries.

I simply fail to see how all that is supposed to work, and to be achieved, in the long run. Without exception they all completely ignore the energy, material, production, build and space needed to switch to renewable energy completely. For them, wind-parks and solar-panels seem to grow on trees, install themselves, hook themselves up to the grid, and need no space at all. And of course these technologies are obviously able to produce electricity 24/7, regardless of the fact that most of the day there isn't enough sun or wind.

But hey, i'm happy to switch to renewable energy. Bring me a bunch of anti-nuke people and a bunch of stationary bicycles with fat dynamos, and i'm sure i can manage to hook them to my distribution box. Presto, renewable energy!

Greetings,

Chris
Why is the Anti Nuke movement so much more powerful in Germany then it is in other European countries? Just curious.
Old 15th March 2011, 07:45 PM   #661
Christian Klippel
Master Poster

Originally Posted by JihadJane View Post
Who's spinning rubbish now? "Such people" have got absolutely nothing to do with why the Japanese keep spent fuel on-site.

Correct me if I'm wrong.
Since my comment was in reply to another comment referring to people blocking (or trying to block) the transports in the US, i replied that they do the same here as well, just way more "militant".

I then added the general remark that since as a result of those people's actions nuclear power plants now store the used up fuel on-site (either by reaching that agreement, or because of those protesters actively lobbying to get no terminal storage facility built as is the case in Germany), it makes the whole situation even worse, since on-site, ground-level storage simply isn't as safe as burrying the waste.

So yes, it has nothing to do with why they store the used fuel on-site in Fukushima. But then, neither had the post i replied to.

Context matters, you know

Greetings,

Chris

Last edited by Christian Klippel; 15th March 2011 at 07:50 PM.
Old 15th March 2011, 07:50 PM   #662
Christian Klippel
Master Poster

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
Why is the Anti Nuke movement so much more powerful in Germany then it is in other European countries? Just curious.
Frankly, i have no idea.It might be because the anti-nuke movement employs _really_ nasty methods. It might be because our politicians suck big time anyways. It might be because the average Joe over here has no clue about much of the realities involved, and thus prefer to make much noise instead of turning on their brains. It might be because we have some really nasty boulevard media/newspapers here that are known to purposefully spread lies and smear campaigns.

Really, i have no clue. My guess is a combination of all of the above. Sometimes i think we are on the way of making a laughing stock of our selves.

Greetings,

Chris

Edit: BTW, it's not just the anti nuke movement. The whole "green" movement is pretty strong over here, quite often causing a lot of fuzz and useless/crappy laws and regulations.

For example, let's assume you buy a big chunk of land here. Now you want to build homes, a shopping mall, a school or hospital or whatever on that land. All that one needs to do to stop that is to find one instance of an endangered (and may the endangerment ever so slight) animal on that land, and you are out of luck. And no, moving that or those animals to another, nearby place isn't working either, since you are not allowed to do that.

Protecting the environment is all fine and dandy with me. But it seriously starts to get ridiculous.

Edit 2: It even goes so far that people already making fun sites out of that, check this. Feel free to use Google-Translate or Babelfish to get it translated.

Last edited by Christian Klippel; 15th March 2011 at 07:57 PM.
Old 15th March 2011, 08:15 PM   #663
Sword_Of_Truth
Penultimate Amazing

Investors Business Daily: A Meltdown of Fearmongers
One can argue that the location chosen for these plants in earthquake-prone areas was faulty. One cannot argue that the world would be cleaner and safer without nuclear power. Between 1995 and 2005, U.S. nuclear generation avoided the emission of 41 million tons of sulfur dioxide, 16.9 million tons of nitrogen oxide and 7.3 billion tons of carbon dioxide, according to the Nuclear Energy Institute.

According to the Energy Information Administration of the U.S. Department of Energy, nuclear power plants were responsible for 36% of the total voluntary reductions in greenhouse gas emissions reported by U.S. companies in 2005. If we had built all the nuclear power plants planned in 1979 when the non-event at Three Mile Island occurred, it's likely we'd be both energy independent and Kyoto-compliant today.
Sword_Of_Truth is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th March 2011, 08:18 PM   #664
r-j
Banned

CNN is reporting the workers have abandoned the plant. Why does this fill me with unease?
r-j is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th March 2011, 08:53 PM   #665
MattusMaximus
Intellectual Gladiator

Originally Posted by Hindmost View Post
0.6 milliseiverts would be 60 mrem per hour...that would be enough to make a person quite ill with a long exposure...possibly microseiverts.
glenn
No, the numbers are sound. Last I checked (via World Nuclear News) it is 0.6 milliseiverts/hour = 60 mrem/hour, which is equivalent to about 2-3 chest x-rays per hour.

However, those are the readings on site at Fukushima, not 30+ km away where civilians are located. And you must remember that the people on site are likely wearing protective gear, and they probably are not remaining on site for an extended period of time. It's serious, which is why they're dealing with it, but the sky is not falling.

Here's an analogy: think of firefighters battling a nasty blaze. The firefighters in the hottest part of the fire have to wear protective clothing, and they don't stay there for too long because it is too hot. Thus, they rotate out teams on a regular basis for both safety and to keep battling the blaze. Now, while it is probably really nasty to be the firefighter, the rest of us can safely watch what is going on via TV without fear of suddenly bursting into flames
Old 15th March 2011, 08:53 PM   #666
Bluespaceoddity
Critical Thinker

Check out the chart
March 16 - 11:00 (JST)
http://www.jaif.or.jp/english/news_i...300245068P.pdf
Bluespaceoddity is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th March 2011, 09:00 PM   #667
OMGturt1es
Muse

Originally Posted by r-j View Post
CNN is reporting the workers have abandoned the plant. Why does this fill me with unease?
NPR is reporting the same (http://www.npr.org/2011/03/15/134552...se-power-plant).

To a non-expert like me, all the confidence indicated by posts in this thread is little reassurance without argument and evidence concerning current updates. I can easily imagine temporary evacuations not indicating very bad things, but imagination isn't evidence. I've found very little evidence regarding recent updates outside media reports. That's what's filling me with unease.
Old 15th March 2011, 09:06 PM   #668
MattusMaximus
Intellectual Gladiator

Greetings,

Chris
Yeah, Greg made a couple of blog posts within the last few days (here and here), mostly referencing the various mainstream media outlets who have been over-hyping this thing, and ranting on and on about how much the nuclear industry in general sucks. I find it particularly interesting that he's now back-peddling, going on and on about how he "never offered his opinion" and that "he never referenced the media" and (my favorite) that "nobody was mentioning Chernobyl" a couple of days ago. I think he's doing quite a bit of whining for being criticized; it's almost as if he's taking such criticism personally.

So, because I didn't like the manner in which he was approaching the subject, I posted a comment about how I was disappointed that he wasn't being more rational on the subject, and that I thought he should be referencing more reliable sources. I also directed him to my blog post on the subject, and he responded with this...

Quote:
... A closely integrated subtext is the "It's not Chernobyl stop saying that it is!!!!11!!" rant. I actually have not seen a single individual or press outlet compare the current situation to Chernobyl. But I've seen and heard Chernobyl mentioned dozens of times, and every time as part of some missive telling us all to stop talking about Chernobyl. Like this blog post: Know Nukes: The Japanese Earthquake & Anti-Nuclear Hysteria. While I appreciate the efforts of this pseudonymous blogger who I will presume, but can not know, is not a shill for the Nuclear Power Industry to dispel myths about what may be happening in Japan, I do not appreciate labeling people's concern over the health and well being of those at the site, and the potential environmental effects of a half dozen nuclear accidents of varying degrees of severity happening all at once, as hysteria, and describing it as a series of absurd statements that no one has actually made. That site starts off with dispelling the idea that this is "another Chernobyl disaster" without giving a single reference to anyone saying that it might be. This and other claims are stated complete with exclamation-pointed Glenbeckesque language and breathlessness, and then summarily, even snarkily, dispelled. Not one bit of related hyperbole can be found on my blog regarding these ongoing and very serious problems yet that blogger chose to come on over and tell me to stop it. ...
Nice, I like the thinly veiled reference to me being a possible shill for Big Nuke

Imagine how much fun this is all going to be when I run into Greg Laden at Convergence in Minneapolis this summer? What he doesn't know is that he and I served on a panel or two with each other at last year's conference. Hell, I even got drunk with him at the Skepchick suite that night. Weird...

Anyhow, he's a big boy, and he'll get over a little criticism. If not, then he'd better hang up his blogging habit right now.

Last edited by MattusMaximus; 15th March 2011 at 09:14 PM.
MattusMaximus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th March 2011, 09:11 PM   #669
timhau
NWO Litter Technician

Originally Posted by Aepervius View Post
ETA I see MattusMaximus confirmed at 11.9 and now 0.6 millisivert per hour. 0.6 millisivert per hour is less than the background radiation at my old home.
Are you sure it wasn't microsieverts? Living in 0.6 mSv per hour for a while would either make you very sick or turn you into Spiderman.
Old 15th March 2011, 09:14 PM   #670
BenBurch
Gatekeeper of The Left

Originally Posted by timhau View Post
Are you sure it wasn't microsieverts? Living in 0.6 mSv per hour for a while would either make you very sick or turn you into Spiderman.
It's certainly not good for you. Way too high.
Old 15th March 2011, 09:16 PM   #671
MattusMaximus
Intellectual Gladiator

Originally Posted by BenBurch View Post
He can feel put upon all he wants, but if he wants to complain about us, doing it behind our backs isn't nice. He needs to come here and have his say.
You know what? You're right.

I'm taking him on, right now, blogger to blogger - mano e mano.

It'll be fun to see where this leads. Look for my next blog post, it'll be a good one
Old 15th March 2011, 09:19 PM   #672
MattusMaximus
Intellectual Gladiator

Originally Posted by timhau View Post
I'm pretty sure it was milli- not micro-seiverts.

And yes, if you are standing out in the middle of it (on the Fukushima site) for extended periods (many, many hours) and if you are not wearing protective clothing, then it is extremely bad for you.

But if you're sitting back many kilometers away watching it all on TV, you're pretty much okay.
Old 15th March 2011, 09:26 PM   #673
pipelineaudio
Illuminator

I'd like to know more about why they pulled the guys out

The posts I see dont talk about being pulled out, they're using the term "abandoned"
Old 15th March 2011, 09:32 PM   #674
MattusMaximus
Intellectual Gladiator

Well turn off your computer and turn on the tv, can we agree it's a 6 now?
A 6 on the INES? The only source I can find for that is the Wikipedia page on the Fukushima plant, which references this German article.

And when I went to that article, the only thing it said in reference to the INES is this...
Quote:
ATOMIC ACCIDENT (INES SCALE): An international scale, in order to evaluate the weight of nuclear accidents. It is enough from zero (event without or with small meaning in terms of safety) to seven (catastrophic accident). Starting from stage two one speaks of incident, starting from stage four of accident. The explosion of the nuclear reactor in Tschernobyl before scarcely 25 years was so far the only event of the stage seven. The partial core melt-through in the reactor Three Mile Island in the USA 1979 was arranged on stage five. With the misfortune in Japan stage six is to be expected at least after today's conditions, if there is and in its entirety disaster control measures is introduced a substantial release of radioactive material. Of Japan atomic energy authority in the nuclear power plant Fukushima classifies the incident so far however less badly than the incidents in the US nuclear power station Three Mile Island 1979 and in Tschernobyl 1986. The classification of an event takes over the operator of the power station, it however by the national atomic supervision and the international atomic energy authority in Vienna is examined and possibly corrected.
And that page doesn't reference anyone for where they got those estimates. So this is yet another example of sloppy reporting, because it basically says "if the absolute worst case scenario happens, it will be a 6 on the INES, but right how it ranks as a 4 according to the nuclear experts on site."

Somebody contact Wikipedia about correcting their article, please
Old 15th March 2011, 09:34 PM   #675
MattusMaximus
Intellectual Gladiator

Originally Posted by pipelineaudio View Post
I'd like to know more about why they pulled the guys out

The posts I see dont talk about being pulled out, they're using the term "abandoned"
Source?
Old 15th March 2011, 09:37 PM   #676
BenBurch
Gatekeeper of The Left

Originally Posted by MattusMaximus View Post
Source?
http://www.kansascity.com/2011/03/15...lled-amid.html
Old 15th March 2011, 09:41 PM   #677
Christian Klippel
Master Poster

While i don't know if and why they pulled out the remaining 50 people (the last status chart still said there are 50 people there. And it also said that the water in the pools is cooling down again), i can imagine at least two reason:

1) Since the area is exposed to higher-than-normal radiation levels, they pull them out to replace them with another team. The people will surely need some sleep/rest as well.

2) There is nothing more left to do directly at that site, either because the situation is in a state that can be controlled remotely, or because nothing else can be done anymore right now.

In any case, this is of course pure speculation since, again, the available information isn't sufficient to make any definite statements.

Greetings,

Chris

Edit: Made mistake because i misread the chart.

Last edited by Christian Klippel; 15th March 2011 at 09:45 PM.
Old 15th March 2011, 09:42 PM   #678
Ranb
Philosopher

Here is a new article; I have no idea how accurate it is though. http://www.cnn.com/2011/WORLD/asiapc...t=T1&iref=BN1#

Quote:
Between Units 3 and 4, Japanese authorities said they had measured radiation dose rates of up to 400 millisieverts-per-hour, ....."This is a high dose-level value, but it is a local value at a single location and at a certain point in time," it added.
Quote:
Radiation levels in Tokyo, about 225 kilometers (140 miles) southwest of the plant, were twice the usual level on Tuesday. But the concentration -- 0.809 microsieverts per hour -- posed no health threat, the Tokyo Metropolitan Government said.
The Tokyo radiation level is certainly no threat. An exposure rate like this for a year would put me at about 15% of the federal government's occupational exposure limit (5 rem/yr). It is not satisfactory that the exposure rates are elevated at all though.

Ranb

Last edited by Ranb; 15th March 2011 at 09:44 PM.
Ranb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th March 2011, 09:52 PM   #679
MattusMaximus
Intellectual Gladiator

Originally Posted by BenBurch View Post
Wow, if that's accurate it is going to be a real mess to clean up that site. Yuck.
Old 15th March 2011, 09:53 PM   #680
gumboot
lorcutus.tolere

Originally Posted by JihadJane View Post
Safe, maybe, but blowing the walls and roof off with explosive force is an unusual safety mechanism and difficult for the unscientific public to accept as nothing to worry about!

It's all relative, isn't it? I'd say a nuclear plant blowing its own building up is preferrable to, say, a hydro dam failing and washing 2,000 homes out to sea...

O xein', angellein Lakedaimoniois hoti têde
keimetha tois keinon rhémasi peithomenoi.

A fan of fantasy? Check out Project Dreamforge.
gumboot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events