ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Simcha Jacobovici

Old 12th April 2011, 04:44 PM   #1
steve s
Philosopher

Naked Archaeologist finds a couple of old nails...

...so naturally they were the nails used to crucify Jesus.

Everybody's favorite cherry-picker is at it again.

Quote:
"I can't say 100 percent that these are THE nails used in the crucifixion, but I connected the dots, and it's certainly possible."
http://www.aolnews.com/2011/04/12/di...sed-to-crucif/

Of course, the nails couldn't possibly belong to any of the thousands of other people that the Romans crucified. Oy.

Steve S
Old 12th April 2011, 04:50 PM   #2
Gawdzilla Sama
121.92-meter mutant fire-breathing lizard-thingy

I can get you a gross of the nails used to crucify our savior for the low price of $12.95/dz.
Buying conspiracy books is a voluntary tax on stupid.
Gawdzilla Sama is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th April 2011, 04:52 PM   #3
Sledge
Grammaton Cleric

Did they actually nail people to crosses? I remember reading (many years ago) in one of those "everything you think you know is wrong" books that nails weren't used in crucifixtions in the holy land. Tying people to the cross works just as well, and doesn't ruin the timber which was scarce in the area.

At least that's the story.

"Science knows it doesn't know everything, otherwise it would stop" ~ Dara O'Briain.
Sledge is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th April 2011, 04:58 PM   #4
PAC
Critical Thinker

From Wikipedia

The Naked Archaeologist is a television show produced for VisionTV in Canada and History International in the US that is hosted and prepared by the Emmy Award–winning journalist Simcha Jacobovici. The show ultimately reviews Biblical stories, then tries to find proof for them by exploring the Holy Land looking for archaeological evidence, personal inferences, deductions, and interviews with scholars and experts.

Interesting description as it indicates the answer precedes the investigation.
Old 12th April 2011, 05:10 PM   #5
steve s
Philosopher

Originally Posted by PAC View Post

Interesting description as it indicates the answer precedes the investigation.

Hence the "Everybody's favorite cherry-picker" in my OP.

Steve S
Old 12th April 2011, 05:42 PM   #6
MG1962

Originally Posted by steve s View Post
...so naturally they were the nails used to crucify Jesus.

Everybody's favorite cherry-picker is at it again.

http://www.aolnews.com/2011/04/12/di...sed-to-crucif/

Of course, the nails couldn't possibly belong to any of the thousands of other people that the Romans crucified. Oy.

Steve S
The nail he is holding does not look big enough - but if he has found two nails that could be used to crucify people then that means we now have a total of three such examples. So forgetting the Jesus connection, they are a wonderful addition to our body of knowledge
MG1962 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th April 2011, 06:08 PM   #7
Mister Earl
Illuminator

Originally Posted by MG1962 View Post
The nail he is holding does not look big enough - but if he has found two nails that could be used to crucify people then that means we now have a total of three such examples. So forgetting the Jesus connection, they are a wonderful addition to our body of knowledge
Yes, we have evidence that old nails can be found and that they can corrode.

That's about it.
Mister Earl is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th April 2011, 09:32 PM   #8
Mel Odious
NWO Public Relations Dept.

Just did a bit of research on this. The only conclusion I can reach is that when they crucified Jesus they used a bucketful of nails:

Originally Posted by Catholic Encyclopedia
Very little reliance can be placed upon the authenticity of the thirty or more holy nails which are still venerated, or which have been venerated until recent times, in such treasuries as that of Santa Croce in Rome, or those of Venice, Aachen, the Escurial, Nuremberg, Prague, etc. Probably the majority began by professing to be facsimiles which had touched or contained filings from some other nail whose claim was more ancient. Without conscious fraud on the part of anyone, it is very easy for imitations in this way to come in a very brief space of time to be reputed originals.

http://en.wikisource.org/wiki/Cathol...13)/Holy_Nails

"Even if you're arguing with an ideological brick wall, you might be in listening range of someone who still has the ability to think. Give it a shot." - jasonpatterson
Mel Odious is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th April 2011, 01:46 AM   #9
HansMustermann
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Sledge View Post
Did they actually nail people to crosses? I remember reading (many years ago) in one of those "everything you think you know is wrong" books that nails weren't used in crucifixtions in the holy land. Tying people to the cross works just as well, and doesn't ruin the timber which was scarce in the area.

At least that's the story.
We have exactly one skeleton of someone who was clearly crucified, and yep, nails were used. Though that's a bit of chicken and egg problem: we probably wouldn't know that he was crucified if there wasn't a bent nail left in the bone. Ultimately probably some were crucified with nails and ropes, some with just ropes.
HansMustermann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th April 2011, 02:11 AM   #10
Aepervius
Non credunt, semper verificare

Quote:
The Israel Antiquities Authority, which oversaw the Jerusalem excavation, has its doubts. First of all, officials there said, it's never been proven beyond doubt that the tomb was the burial place of Caiaphas. It also said that nails are commonly found in tombs.

"There is no doubt that the talented director Simcha Jacobovici created an interesting film with a real archaeological find at its center, but the interpretation presented in it has no basis in archaeological findings or research," the authority said.
From the article.
Aepervius is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th April 2011, 02:48 AM   #11
Skeptic
Banned

This reminds me of the old joke about the archeologist who dug in an ancient Egyptian tomb and didn't find telegraph wires, thus concluding that the ancient Egyptians already knew about the wireless...
Skeptic is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th April 2011, 02:55 AM   #12
DC
Banned

oh

Last edited by DC; 13th April 2011 at 02:58 AM.
DC is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th April 2011, 03:42 AM   #13
GrandMasterFox
Master Poster

To me it reminds the joke of old mr goldschimt, who had paid thousands of dollars for his son's education that turned him into a major guru in advertising.

One day, he asked his son why doesn't he do a comercial for his father's company. The son thought hard and said he got a solution.

The following day, the father goes to work and sees a huge sign showing Jesus nailed to the cross and the title says: "They used Goldschimt Nails!"

The father rushed to the nearest phone and screamed at his son -
"What have you done? We're jews! They'll stone us to death because of this"

The son thinks and then tells the father he'll fix it.

The following day, the father goes to work and sees a huge sign showing Jesus on the floor next to an emptry cross and the title says:
"They didn't use Goldschmit Nails!"
GrandMasterFox is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th April 2011, 05:35 AM   #14
Sledge
Grammaton Cleric

Originally Posted by HansMustermann View Post
We have exactly one skeleton of someone who was clearly crucified, and yep, nails were used. Though that's a bit of chicken and egg problem: we probably wouldn't know that he was crucified if there wasn't a bent nail left in the bone. Ultimately probably some were crucified with nails and ropes, some with just ropes.
Yes, I see the problem. I might start a seperate thread on this at some point, because I think it could turn into a derail on this thread.

"Science knows it doesn't know everything, otherwise it would stop" ~ Dara O'Briain.
Sledge is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th April 2011, 06:33 AM   #15
Skeptic
Banned

Quote:
"There is no doubt that the talented director Simcha Jacobovici created an interesting film with a real archaeological find at its center, but the interpretation presented in it has no basis in archaeological findings or research," the authority said.
Translation from beurocratese: the beautiful and talented Mr. Jcobovici is a total loony.
Skeptic is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th April 2011, 08:33 AM   #16
I Ratant
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Skeptic View Post
This reminds me of the old joke about the archeologist who dug in an ancient Egyptian tomb and didn't find telegraph wires, thus concluding that the ancient Egyptians already knew about the wireless...
The more modern version has that archeologist a Texan.
I Ratant is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th April 2011, 09:17 AM   #17
poblob14
Muse

Tell me if I'm summarizing this correctly:

This guy finds two nails at Tel Aviv University. Those nails showed up there, apparently without labeling or other attribution, at about the same time as two nails from a tomb got lost.

The tomb where two nails (that might or might not be these nails) were found is the one with an ossuary marked Caiaphas, who might or might not have been that Caiaphas.

Therefore . . . Jesus? Did I miss a step in there someplace? Is he suggesting that Caiaphas kept the nails as a souvenir or something, and that when he died, somebody tossed the nails into the tomb (one in the ossuary, one on the ground), because . . . .

Was this argument constructed by the Underpants Gnomes?
poblob14 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th April 2011, 09:35 AM   #18
Philosaur
Muse

Originally Posted by I Ratant View Post
The more modern version has that archeologist a Texan.
Umm. What?
Philosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th April 2011, 09:48 AM   #19
TimCallahan
Philosopher

Every once in a while the History Channel and History International actually do history. However, whenever they are dealing with religion, it's strictly pandering to believers. They also pander to people who believe in Atlantis, etc. What is particularly galling about The Naked Archaeologist is that he isn't - an archaeologist, that is. Simcha Jacobovichi has no degrees in archaeology, ancient history or any related field. That doesn't mean, of course, that he's not entitled to speak on the subject, only that we amateurs must state that we aren't professionals and should, therefore, provide ample established evidence from the fields on which we speak upon which to base our conclusions.

As to finding the nails used to crucify Jesus, his tomb, the upper room where the Last Supper was held, the route of the Via Dolorosa or any other landmarks of the Jerusalem of Jesus' day, it should be remembered that, according to Josephus, the Romans so flattened Jerusalem in CE 70 that they had to leave three towers standing to show that there actually had once been a city on that site. Also, following the Bar Kochba revolt, the Romans not only flattened what had been built on those ruins but built a Greco-Roman style city, complete with a temple to Zeus, called, IIRC, Colonia Aelia Capitolina where Jerusalem had been. Even assuming the historicity of Jesus, the likelihood of finding any archaeological evidence pertaining to him is nil.
TimCallahan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th April 2011, 10:25 AM   #20
Trantor
Muse

Originally Posted by TimCallahan View Post
Every once in a while the History Channel and History International actually do history. However, whenever they are dealing with religion, it's strictly pandering to believers. They also pander to people who believe in Atlantis, etc.
I agree. I've seen a bunch of History Channel shows that deal with the Bible or anything related to Christianity, and the subject is never presented in a critical way. All the Bible stories are generally accepted as fact. I used to watch the shows and just shake my head that this channel calls itself, "The History Channel". Now, I just don't bother watching anything that is related to the Bible or Christianity. I know what to expect.
Trantor is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th April 2011, 10:49 AM   #21
Gawdzilla Sama

Another relic joke:

Told about a relic seller in the 14th century.

"Madame! Today I offer the skull of John the Baptist!"

"Sir, that skull is currently in the cathedral at Notre Dame!"

"But that is the skull of John as an adult. This is his skull as a child!"
Gawdzilla Sama is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th April 2011, 02:36 PM   #22
Skeptic
Banned

Originally Posted by TimCallahan View Post
it should be remembered that, according to Josephus, the Romans so flattened Jerusalem in CE 70 that they had to leave three towers standing to show that there actually had once been a city on that site. Also, following the Bar Kochba revolt, the Romans not only flattened what had been built on those ruins but built a Greco-Roman style city, complete with a temple to Zeus, called, IIRC, Colonia Aelia Capitolina where Jerusalem had been.
I built one Jerusalem, and it sank into the swamp.
I built a second Jerusalem, and it got flattened by the Romans, caught fire, and sank into the swamp.
I built a third Jerusalem, and it was flattened by the Romans, built over, had its name changed, and sank into the swamp...
Old 13th April 2011, 02:37 PM   #23
Skeptic
Banned

Originally Posted by Gawdzilla View Post
Another relic joke:

Told about a relic seller in the 14th century.

"Madame! Today I offer the skull of John the Baptist!"

"Sir, that skull is currently in the cathedral at Notre Dame!"

"But that is the skull of John as an adult. This is his skull as a child!"
There are at least three different heads of John the Baptist in various churches in Europe...
Old 13th April 2011, 02:44 PM   #24
I Ratant
Penultimate Amazing

Wink

Originally Posted by Philosaur View Post
Umm. What?

(DON'T TRY TO OUTDO TEXAS!)

After having dug to a depth of 10 feet last year, New York scientists found traces of copper wire dating back 100 years and came to the conclusion, that their ancestors already had a telephone network more than 100 years ago.

Not to be outdone by the New Yorkers, in the weeks that followed a California archaeologist dug to a depth of 20 feet, and shortly after, a Story in the LA Times read: " California archaeologists, finding of 200 year old copper wire, have concluded that their ancestors already had an advanced high-tech communications network a hundred years earlier than the New Yorkers"

One week later. A local newspaper in Texas reported the following: "After digging as deep as 30 feet in his pasture near Maypearl, Texas, Bubba, a self-taught archaeologist reported that he found absolutely nothing. Bubba has therefore concluded that 300 years ago, Texas had already gone wireless".

Just makes a person proud to be a Texan.
From my bud in Texas...
I Ratant is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th April 2011, 06:31 AM   #25
freedy
Thinker

Ancient nails that held Christ to the cross, and he holds them in his bare hands????
freedy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th April 2011, 06:34 AM   #26
Skeptic
Banned

A letter writer to the Jerusalem Post said, with heavy sarcasm, that while he is glad Jesus' nails have been found, they're waiting for the clawhammer that took them out, and the little stool Chaiphas climbed on to get to the nail. He is sure, however, that the naked archeologist will speedily supply us with those items as well.
Old 16th April 2011, 11:40 AM   #27
tsig
a carbon based life-form

There are at least three different heads of John the Baptist in various churches in Europe...
Ain't the power of god amazing?
tsig is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th April 2011, 11:52 AM   #28
The Norseman
Meandering fecklessly

Of course. You know the old saying, "three heads are better than one."
The Norseman is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th April 2011, 05:38 PM   #29
Gawdzilla Sama

Originally Posted by The Norseman View Post
Of course. You know the old saying, "three heads are better than one."
Fluffy had three.

"Fluffy!"

"Well, it's gotta have a name, now don't it?"

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy