IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags brian haw , cancer , david icke

Old 20th June 2011, 04:13 PM   #1
summand
Scholar

English pacifist Brian Haw died by quackery

This weekend the English peace activist Brian Haw died. He was quite well known in UK for his protest against the war in Iraq and was basically living the last 10 years in a camp before the parliament.

He was diagnosed with lung cancer (5 year survival rate: maybe ~10%) but was coaxed to try a "revolutionary" treatment by his friend David Icke.

http://gimpyblog.wordpress.com/2011/...s-of-quackery/
http://blog.esowatch.com/?p=3432

Why do major newspapers don't cover this? They just write "Haw was in Germany for treatment", but nothing about the quackery that was involved...
summand is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th June 2011, 11:56 PM   #2
Soapy Sam
Penultimate Amazing

I'd think camping by a road in central London for a decade might have contributed to his demise.
I'm sorry to see him go. If he was obsessive, he was honestly so- and there are worse things to be obsessive about.
Soapy Sam is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st June 2011, 12:08 AM   #3
Greedo
Too weird to live, too rare to die

Originally Posted by summand View Post
He was diagnosed with lung cancer (5 year survival rate: maybe ~10%) but was coaxed to try a "revolutionary" treatment by his friend David Icke.
Says it all.
Old 21st June 2011, 12:30 AM   #4
RationalVetMed
Graduate Poster

This weekend the English peace activist Brian Haw died. He was quite well known in UK for his protest against the war in Iraq and was basically living the last 10 years in a camp before the parliament.

http://gimpyblog.wordpress.com/2011/...s-of-quackery/
http://blog.esowatch.com/?p=3432

Why do major newspapers don't cover this? They just write "Haw was in Germany for treatment", but nothing about the quackery that was involved...
He was a classic British eccentric, whatever anyone thought of his views and methods and David Icke is an idiot; this is a great shame and I wonder how Icke will rationalise it (I don't have the stomach to visit his web site - too early in the morning).

In some ways though it's a blessing - can you imagine the conspiracy theories that would have sprung up if he'd died in a UK hospital! What are they going to say now, perhaps Icke is a secret reptilloid spy, sent to assassinate dissentors?

Yuri

'No Way to Treat a Friend: Lifting the Lid on Complementary and Alternative Veterinary Medicine' book now available to order.
RationalVetMed is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st June 2011, 05:27 AM   #5
Emet
Illuminator

It's simply not newsworthy. It's an obituary, not an investigative report on alt/med.

Look, I deplore quackery as much as you do, but when someone noteworthy in the US dies, very little is mentioned about the death. The news stories/obituaries may mention someone had cancer (if it had been disclosed), and died of it. It's usually up to the family to disclose the information about the illness, or anything else related.

A story may say he died of cancer, or complications from cancer. They may mention he was undergoing treatment. Some folks with terminal cancers decline any treatment at all--it very often isn't even mentioned. Again, family statements tend to be all that is reported.

From the BBC:

Quote:
Peace campaigner Brian Haw has died after "a long hard fight" against lung cancer, his family has announced.
(...)
In a statement posted on Mr Haw's website, his family said he had died on 18 June in Germany, where he had been receiving medical treatment.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-13828800

Just sayin'.
Emet is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st June 2011, 02:31 PM   #6
summand
Scholar

Originally Posted by Emet View Post
It's simply not newsworthy. It's an obituary, not an investigative report on alt/med.
I was just wondering, but you are right. It wouldn't have been prudent to bring it up. They guy is dead and that's the story.

But I think the other story is important too, that Simoncini guy is a quack as written in the book...
summand is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd June 2011, 12:52 PM   #7
jli
Critical Thinker

But I think the other story is important too, that Simoncini guy is a quack as written in the book...
I agree. And thank you for bringing it up. I added it to the (short) list of victims on my site too. Hopefully it will make a difference some day.
jli is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology