ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 30th July 2011, 04:53 PM   #1
Marduk
Banned

Black Triangle UFO faked

Quote:
The mystery of the iconic Petit-Rechain black triangle UFO photo has finally been solved. The photographer, a man named only as Patrick, has admitted making the UFO out of polystyrene in an interview with mainstream Belgian TV channel RTL-TVI.

The photograph was taken 21 years ago in 1990 at the height of the Belgian UFO flap and was an instant hit around the world, with many publications using the photo as a kind of banner for the UFO phenomenon.

It was known as the Petit-Rechain photo after the Belgian town where it was photographed, but Patrick revealed he and some friends made the model in a short space of time before photographing it some hours later that evening.

Patrick said “You can do a lot with a little, we managed to trick everyone with a piece of polystyrene” and he is right. The photograph has kept “experts” busy for years, with many of a ufological persuasion using this as proof of alien visitation.

“We made the model with polystyrene,
http://www.realityuncovered.net/blog...le-ufo-a-fake/
you heard it here first
Marduk is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th July 2011, 05:02 PM   #2
Kopji

Quote:
It is a good fake because it looks very similar to the Black Triangle UFO I saw in 1997, the lights are too bright in comparison with the translucent craft I witnessed flying over the Pennines.
From one of the reader comments on the site. -sigh-
That said, I'm all for Patrick, I love hoaxes. It's a bad character flaw, I know, but it's so funny...
Kopji is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th July 2011, 05:12 PM   #3
Marduk
Banned

yup, the original flap was believed to be caused by stealth aircraft until this photo "proved" that wasn't the case, (one of the most often cited reasons is that the lights are too bright or in the wrong position) so you'll still hear people claiming that seeing a craft shaped like a craft known to exist in the USAF is a UFO, these are the same type of people that can't identify a blimp or a weather balloon
I'm sure you know the type

no doubt one or two of them will be along shortly with evidence that this is a false flag (aka Black triangle Flag) op or similar

Last edited by Marduk; 30th July 2011 at 05:20 PM.
Marduk is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st August 2011, 05:04 AM   #4
Fishstick
Graduate Poster

Clearly this is a psi-op / false flag.
Fishstick is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st August 2011, 08:00 AM   #5
Crossbow
Seeking Honesty and Sanity

I am not sure, but I think that there were at least one or two people here at JREF who were using this photo as proof of ETs. But I cannot remember their names.

Does anyone else recall that?
A man's best friend is his dogma.
Crossbow is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st August 2011, 08:18 AM   #6
Marduk
Banned

Originally Posted by Crossbow View Post
I am not sure, but I think that there were at least one or two people here at JREF who were using this photo as proof of ETs. But I cannot remember their names.

Does anyone else recall that?
http://www.internationalskeptics.com...22#post4940100
Old 1st August 2011, 09:55 AM   #7
Bigfooter
Student

But unfortunately, like most of this stuff, that image and story will continue to be circulated in print and online as "proof" of UFOs.
Bigfooter is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st August 2011, 10:01 AM   #8
Crossbow

Originally Posted by Marduk View Post
Thanks much for the thought, but it was not really what I thinking about.

To expalin, in the thread that you referred to, one sees several people discussing what the triangle picture may be; but that is not really the same thing as flat out saying that the triangle picture is proof of ETs.

And what I was thinking of was several years ago (shortly after the triangle picture was released if I recall correctly) that at least one or two JREF posters were flat-out saying that the triangle picture is proof of ETs.

And, of course, there were several other posters who disagreed with that conclusion; but I doubt that there wise words were actually heeded by these one or two posters in question.
Crossbow is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st August 2011, 10:27 AM   #9
Marduk
Banned

Originally Posted by Crossbow View Post
And what I was thinking of was several years ago (shortly after the triangle picture was released if I recall correctly) that at least one or two JREF posters were flat-out saying that the triangle picture is proof of ETs.
it was released 21 years ago, 11 years before the JREF website existed
Old 1st August 2011, 10:48 AM   #10
Crossbow

Ugh! You are quite right!

My mistake! Sorry about that.

However, I was thinking of one ot two posters about ten years ago (about 2000 or 2001) who were all a twitter about that photograph. But in this case, I expect that at that time, they had only recently discovered it and then promptly went a bit nutty about it.

Anyway, if I can uncover any futher details, then I will post them.

Thanks much!
Old 1st August 2011, 02:16 PM   #11
Marduk
Banned

well thats the thing, the mass sightings of black triangle shaped craft were caused by the then super secret stealth bomber which was based nearby and the existence of which didn't become public until the first gulf war in 1991

since then black triangle UFO's are everywhere
in the same way that you can't find a description of an alien grey until after the Barney and Betty Hill incident

Almost as if...............
Old 1st August 2011, 09:41 PM   #12
Access Denied
Critical Thinker

since then black triangle UFO's are everywhere
Of course no thread about the "black triangles" can be considered complete without a link to Astrophotographer's article...

BELGIUM 1990: A CASE FOR RADAR-VISUAL UFOS?
http://home.comcast.net/~tprinty/UFO/Belg.htm

My favorite line...

Quote:
In some of the instances of lock-ons, the radar tapes showed the contacts at a NEGATIVE ALTITUDE. Meessen wrote, "It was evidently impossible that an object could penetrate the ground, but it was possible that the ground could act as a mirror."
Old 2nd August 2011, 11:27 PM   #13
Greedo
Too weird to live, too rare to die

LOL!

Finally, after all those years, the triangle debunked
Epic!

This used to be one of my favourite UFO cases when I was a UFO-nut.

Too bad this won't bother the nuts, they'll just say They™ told him to say it's fake!

Last edited by Greedo; 2nd August 2011 at 11:28 PM.
Greedo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd August 2011, 04:48 AM   #14
Rincewind
Philosopher

So - there's proof that time travel is real, then?

Rincewind is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd August 2011, 03:00 PM   #15
jayh
Muse

My problem is that, as proper skeptics, we should not be gullibly accepting of this explanation either. Should we simply accept some unidentified person 'Patrick' comes out of the woodwork and claims he made this years ago.

Likely this is a fake, but Patrick may be a fake too.
jayh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd August 2011, 03:15 PM   #16
Turgor
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by jayh View Post
My problem is that, as proper skeptics, we should not be gullibly accepting of this explanation either. Should we simply accept some unidentified person 'Patrick' comes out of the woodwork and claims he made this years ago.

But as proper skeptics we can also see that accepting that it was indeed Patrick that faked the photograph makes much less assumptions than accepting it is a photograph of a genuine alien spacecraft.

That isn't proof that Patrick faked the photograph, but he didn't make an extraordinary claim imo and I am willing to take him on his word on this.
Turgor is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd August 2011, 10:21 PM   #17
Access Denied
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by jayh View Post

Actually, we got confirmation from one of our French correspondents, Nablator, who originally brought this to our attention and fortunately, can translate for us, before we went to press with the article linked to in the OP…

[linky]

To make a long story short, evidently the person at COBEPS who received (paid for if I’m not mistaken) the original confirmed it was Patrick he got it from.

One wonders why all the secrecy all this time but, as usual, I digress…
Old 6th August 2011, 10:26 AM   #18
jayh
Muse

Originally Posted by Turgor View Post
But as proper skeptics we can also see that accepting that it was indeed Patrick that faked the photograph makes much less assumptions than accepting it is a photograph of a genuine alien spacecraft.

Well accepting that someone faked it probably requires less assumptions. Accepting Patrick's claim that he faked it, particularly when a claim that it was faked would have to be justifiable to true believers is not such an open and shut case. People claim credit for notorious activities all the time.
jayh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th August 2011, 01:59 PM   #19
WiseMonkey
Student

Even if it's fake, who cares?.. there's millions of photos and also video footage out there, not to mention just endless witness accounts from very credible people... it's so, so insignificant. Who puts their trust in one photo?
WiseMonkey is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th August 2011, 02:10 PM   #20
Stray Cat
Philosopher

Originally Posted by WiseMonkey View Post
Even if it's fake, who cares?.. there's millions of photos and also video footage out there, not to mention just endless witness accounts from very credible people... it's so, so insignificant. Who puts their trust in one photo?
Define credible.
And then explain exactly who is immune from fallibility.

PS: Millions of poor quality photos and videos don't magically make a good case. All they make is a bigger pile of ****.
Old 8th August 2011, 02:19 PM   #21
Marduk
Banned

UFO, does not equal Alien spaceship

show me a few alien metal nuts and bolts or a ray gun, then you have something empirical

Last edited by Marduk; 8th August 2011 at 02:20 PM.
Old 8th August 2011, 02:26 PM   #22
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

Who puts their trust in one photo?
No one should. One would need corroborating physical evidence of which . . . whatta ya got?
Resume is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th August 2011, 02:28 PM   #23
Marduk
Banned

Originally Posted by Resume View Post
No one should. One would need corroborating physical evidence of which . . . whatta ya got?
I got a lot of eyewitness reports of a black triangle UFO, made during the period when the American airforce was testing out the stealth bomber in the area.

what has anyone else got
Old 8th August 2011, 03:19 PM   #24
WiseMonkey
Student

Well there is the disclosure project in which they have 400-500 U.S. high ranking officers of government that have all blown the whistle on black gov ops projects, started up by Dr. Grere (sp?).. It has a lot of weight to it. Also I saw a U.F.O. when i was younger and it was definitely not an official craft that was known to us, it had the stereotypical red lights around the side and everything and it was just hovering above a tree.. my brother saw it with me. whether it was government controlled or authentic alien, I don't know and don't really care.. but it was a flying saucer.
WiseMonkey is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th August 2011, 03:29 PM   #25
Audible Click
The gap in the plot

Well there is the disclosure project in which they have 400-500 U.S. high ranking officers of government that have all blown the whistle on black gov ops projects, started up by Dr. Grere (sp?).. It has a lot of weight to it. Also I saw a U.F.O. when i was younger and it was definitely not an official craft that was known to us, it had the stereotypical red lights around the side and everything and it was just hovering above a tree.. my brother saw it with me. whether it was government controlled or authentic alien, I don't know and don't really care.. but it was a flying saucer.
I'm glad that's settled...moving on.
Audible Click is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th August 2011, 03:35 PM   #26
Stray Cat
Philosopher

Well there is the disclosure project in which they have 400-500 U.S. high ranking officers of government that have all blown the whistle on black gov ops projects,
And yet not a single one of them had been able to provide a shred of physical evidence to support their flying saucer stories. Don't you find that odd?
What makes these people any more credible than anyone else?

started up by Dr. Grere (sp?)
Stephen Greer ('doctor' part in dispute as his medical licence apparently expired years ago) is a master manipulator, however not everyone stays under his control. Edgar Mitchel for instance left the DP and had to battle to get his name removed from the list of "credible witnesses" because he didn't want to be associated with the project.

.. It has a lot of weight to it.
No it doesn't.
It has not managed to achieve a single disclosure of evidence about aliens and flying saucers from any government. Preferring instead to hold vast conferences where people tell stories.

Also I saw a U.F.O. when i was younger and it was definitely not an official craft that was known to us, it had the stereotypical red lights around the side and everything and it was just hovering above a tree.. my brother saw it with me. whether it was government controlled or authentic alien, I don't know and don't really care.. but it was a flying saucer.
I believe the standard response is: "cool story bro"
Old 8th August 2011, 03:52 PM   #27
I Ratant
Penultimate Amazing

yup, the original flap was believed to be caused by stealth aircraft until this photo "proved" that wasn't the case, (one of the most often cited reasons is that the lights are too bright or in the wrong position) so you'll still hear people claiming that seeing a craft shaped like a craft known to exist in the USAF is a UFO, these are the same type of people that can't identify a blimp or a weather balloon
I'm sure you know the type

no doubt one or two of them will be along shortly with evidence that this is a false flag (aka Black triangle Flag) op or similar
At the time of the photo, no stealth airplanes had left the top secret desert base, much less flown to Yurp!
I Ratant is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th August 2011, 04:14 PM   #28
WiseMonkey
Student

Originally Posted by Stray Cat View Post
And yet not a single one of them had been able to provide a shred of physical evidence to support their flying saucer stories. Don't you find that odd?
What makes these people any more credible than anyone else?

Stephen Greer ('doctor' part in dispute as his medical licence apparently expired years ago) is a master manipulator, however not everyone stays under his control. Edgar Mitchel for instance left the DP and had to battle to get his name removed from the list of "credible witnesses" because he didn't want to be associated with the project.

No it doesn't.
It has not managed to achieve a single disclosure of evidence about aliens and flying saucers from any government. Preferring instead to hold vast conferences where people tell stories.

I believe the standard response is: "cool story bro"
umm, that's simply not true. There are documents and such that have been brought forward, but who wants to see documents right?.. we all want fireworks and movies.

About Grere having his license expired, well yeah because he's not a doctor anymore.. oh well? I guess Mr. Grere then if it suits you better.
Old 8th August 2011, 04:16 PM   #29
Sledge
Grammaton Cleric

What are your credentials to decide that something is "definitely not an official craft," WiseMonkey?

"Science knows it doesn't know everything, otherwise it would stop" ~ Dara O'Briain.
Sledge is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th August 2011, 04:32 PM   #30
Marduk
Banned

Originally Posted by I Ratant View Post
At the time of the photo, no stealth airplanes had left the top secret desert base, much less flown to Yurp!
think again, they were used operationally as early as 1989
Old 8th August 2011, 04:33 PM   #31
Stray Cat
Philosopher

umm, that's simply not true. There are documents and such that have been brought forward, but who wants to see documents right?.. we all want fireworks and movies.
Show me a single document that talks about aliens.

The only one's you'll find are the ones that talk about it not being aliens. So exactly how much has Greer's flying saucer social club managed to achieve within it's objective to get the government to disclose what they know about aliens visiting our planet?
Old 8th August 2011, 04:39 PM   #32
WiseMonkey
Student

Originally Posted by Sledge View Post
What are your credentials to decide that something is "definitely not an official craft," WiseMonkey?
I have none.. the government has never admitted to flying flying saucers around, unless you present different data.
Old 8th August 2011, 04:46 PM   #33
Marduk
Banned

I have none.. the government has never admitted to flying flying saucers around, unless you present different data.
the US Air Force did, back in 1947, but they changed their minds the next day

Old 8th August 2011, 04:49 PM   #34
WiseMonkey
Student

the US Air Force did, back in 1947, but they changed their minds the next day

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a1...ing-saucer.jpg

Yes.. Haha. The answers are never clear when your governments are lying.
Old 8th August 2011, 04:54 PM   #35
Marduk
Banned

Yes.. Haha. The answers are never clear when your governments are lying.
I don't think anyone here would deny that governments are famous liars, but if theyre doing it for national security, then its a requirement of good government.
Old 8th August 2011, 04:57 PM   #36
WiseMonkey
Student

I don't think anyone here would deny that governments are famous liars, but if theyre doing it for national security, then its a requirement of good government.
You don't actually buy that national security garbage? The first sign of fascim is..? obsession with national security. I don't want to debate the corruption of governments.. But I believe they are absolutely corrupt, therefore how can I believe that their good intentions are good enough.. a government should follow the people not direct.. when thou follows wisdom, thou leads from the heart.

Yet, I know that the darkness is essential to human evolution.. we create the corruption ourselves, everyone.. because we allow ourselves to be bribed and greased in turn for slaveship.. it has been our own choice to be governed, yet that doesn't mean our governments are a 'good' thing. That is one solitary judgement.

Last edited by WiseMonkey; 8th August 2011 at 05:00 PM.
Old 8th August 2011, 05:11 PM   #37
I Ratant
Penultimate Amazing

think again, they were used operationally as early as 1989
Panama is not Belgium!
I Ratant is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th August 2011, 05:31 PM   #38
Marduk
Banned

You don't actually buy that national security garbage? The first sign of fascim is..? obsession with national security. I don't want to debate the corruption of governments.. But I believe they are absolutely corrupt, therefore how can I believe that their good intentions are good enough.. a government should follow the people not direct.. when thou follows wisdom, thou leads from the heart.

Yet, I know that the darkness is essential to human evolution.. we create the corruption ourselves, everyone.. because we allow ourselves to be bribed and greased in turn for slaveship.. it has been our own choice to be governed, yet that doesn't mean our governments are a 'good' thing. That is one solitary judgement.
ok, what do you think would happen if the government suddenly announced "Aliens are real, Aliens are here, Aliens are invading our airspace at will and we can do nothing about it"
you're a little naive if you don't think that this would cause widespread death and panic. Americans have guns you know
Old 8th August 2011, 05:40 PM   #39
WiseMonkey
Student

ok, what do you think would happen if the government suddenly announced "Aliens are real, Aliens are here, Aliens are invading our airspace at will and we can do nothing about it"
you're a little naive if you don't think that this would cause widespread death and panic. Americans have guns you know
I'm merely naive to the point of knowing the right path, and the right path is LOVE, and love is truth.. sorry, but love is pain.. love is humility. Love is sacrifice. I know the fears. I am not ignorant to them. many would agree with you. But let God decide what needs to be done, and trust in Love. I hate to say sacrifice a few to liberate the coming generations, but it's as simple as that. The key to the future is enlightening the next generation, but instead we allow them to be re-conditioned, and the cycle just never ends until we make a sacrifice.. NOT war, but sacrifice.. choose Love and truth, that is all.

Although, allowing humans to know possibly EVERYthing that is happening would be so overwhelming for many.. especially the ones who had placed their trust in governments.. ironically, it would be them to react violently, because no one likes to be tricked like that. And those of us who already know would be trying to console them if it were even possible.

Last edited by WiseMonkey; 8th August 2011 at 05:44 PM.
Old 8th August 2011, 05:58 PM   #40
Marduk
Banned

Originally Posted by I Ratant View Post
Panama is not Belgium!
you said they didn't leave their top secret desert base ?
now youre saying ok they were on missions in panama,
small steps eh,

what was reported were black triangle shape aircraft at a time when the US were testing their black triangle shape aircraft. The Aircraft were reported in the southeast of Belgium, on its border that it shares with west germany. West germany is where every USAF base is located west of the Rhine River.

Hypothetically we can say that if the USAF wanted to test the stealth capabilities of its black triangle shaped aircraft from a European base, this is the exact location you would expect to see them, the witnesses were policemen, civilians, military radar operators who tracked them and scrambled F16 pilots who achieved radar lock, and then lost radar lock when the black triangle shaped aircraft manoeuvered close to the flight capabilities of an F117 or a B2 to break the contact. They didn't make visual contact, but ground witnesses did and they reported two black triangular aircraft, one large and one small

Now youre right, I can't prove this because I don't have access to top secret test flight reports, but you got to admit, everything else is well attested, this is not your usual UFO report,
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_...rce_in_Germany
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Belgian_UFO_wave
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northro...2A_Block_30.29
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lockheed_F-117_Nighthawk

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal