ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 7th June 2008, 03:06 PM   #1
heavensblade23
New Blood

Ed And Lorraine Warren

Anyone have anything insightful to say about Ed And Lorraine Warren, the 'demonologists'?

Obviously some of their stories strain credulity. A demon-possessed Raggedy Ann doll seems unlikely to say the least, but it makes a great (fictional) story nonetheless.

Are there any stories about them being involved in hoaxes or fraud? I know they were involved in the Amityville case, and there seems be a lot of well-poisoning on the web concerning the involvement of Kaplan, who was one of the major players in exposing the Amityville phenomenon as a hoax. Related wikipedia articles largely seems to agree with Kaplan.

I find their devout Christian faith pretty perplexing. I'm reading a book on Ouija Boards right now and they pretty much said you should run away from one like it's on fire...but at the same time Lorraine Warren is supposedly a psychic and a medium herself. I'm not really sure what the great distinction is between using a ouija board to communicate with spirits and making use of psychic powers and mediumistic abilities to do the same. In fact, if you were inclined to believe in such things, it seems to me that using a board would be less dangerous because it's indirect contact. They also seem to hold some belief in 'earthbound' human spirits which is also at odds with their professed faith.

Anyway, thoughts?
heavensblade23 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th June 2008, 06:27 PM   #2
tiger
Banned

I'm not really sure what the great distinction is between using a ouija board to communicate with spirits and making use of psychic powers and mediumistic abilities to do the same

Welcome to the forum!
The ouija board, meduims and psychics all have the same distinction none are true and they can never produce the claimed effect!
tiger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th June 2008, 07:38 PM   #3
fuelair
Cythraul Enfys

Also, anyone who claims to be Christian but use Ouija Boards/Crystal Balls, reads palms, does psychic readings/tarot readings, etc. is clearly excessively ignorant or is lying. Bible expressly and/or explicitly forbids such with rather colorful and quite precise language.
fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th June 2008, 08:10 PM   #4
Jeff Corey
New York Skeptic

That's the old testament, the revised version allows a number of things, like BLTs, shtupping the missus at certain formerly forbidden times of the month and steamers.

Last edited by Jeff Corey; 7th June 2008 at 08:11 PM.
Jeff Corey is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th June 2008, 08:48 PM   #5
grayman
Happy-go-lucky Heretic

Originally Posted by Jeff Corey View Post
That's the old testament, the revised version allows a number of things, like BLTs, shtupping the missus at certain formerly forbidden times of the month and steamers.
MMMMM steamers...

All great truths begin as blasphemies. - George Bernard Shaw

God is evil. As soon as you accept that, it all makes sense. - Sledge
grayman is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th June 2008, 09:08 PM   #6
imjohn
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by heavensblade23 View Post
Obviously some of their stories strain credulity.
You, my friend, are a master of understatement.

The horror writer, Ray Garton, worked on a book for them. The things he had to say were not complimentary.

http://groups.google.com/group/alt.f...e9a0178e6c2330

http://www.amityvillemurders.com/int...s/rgarton.html
imjohn is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th June 2008, 07:50 AM   #7
heavensblade23
New Blood

Originally Posted by imjohn View Post
You, my friend, are a master of understatement.
I was trying to be charitable.

Quote:
The horror writer, Ray Garton, worked on a book for them. The things he had to say were not complimentary.
This is exactly what I was looking for, thanks.
heavensblade23 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th June 2008, 08:02 AM   #8
Miss Whiplash
Graduate Poster

I contacted Mr. Garton about this two years ago. He did indeed post that and stands by his statement. The thread is floating around here somewhere. Ed did have some form of mental illness. In any event, he spent the bulk of his adult life on disability. That's how he was able to live such a freewheeling life, painting pictures of haunted houses, until the ghost hunting thing took off.

BTW-Ed's nephew, John Zaffis has taken over the biz, since Ed died.

Last edited by Miss Whiplash; 8th June 2008 at 08:08 AM.
Miss Whiplash is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th June 2008, 08:27 AM   #9
Minarvia
fading orb

Originally Posted by Miss Whiplash View Post
It was a month or so ago that "The Paracast" had John Zaffis on for a 2 hour interview. It was interesting enough but during the first hour he said "keep an open mind" so much that I wanted to reach thru my iPod and slap him. Apparantly the hosts felt that way, too, as in the 2nd half of the show he didn't say that.

I didn't know he was the Warren's nephew until that show. Talk about riding on the coattails of famous people. Well, at least he comes off as a little more credible than his aunt and uncle.
Minarvia is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th June 2008, 11:38 AM   #10
Beerina
Sarcastic Conqueror of Notions

Originally Posted by grayman View Post
MMMMM steamers...
A Google search, but you prolly don't wanna go here. Check out the blue subtitle of the last entry.

Results 1 - 10 of about 300,000 for slang steamers. (0.46 seconds)

Cleveland steamer - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The Cleveland steamer is a form of coprophilia, where a man or a woman defecates on a partner's chest. .... Categories: Sexual acts | Sexual slang ...
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cleveland_steamer - 25k - Cached - Similar pages

Southern Maryland Slang - Page 2 - Southern Maryland Community Forums
Oct 1, 2007 ... and calling a Sloppy Joe a "Steamer" is Urban Slang usually reserved for something else, but somewhat the same in appearance. ...
forums.somd.com/life-southern-maryland/114214-southern-maryland-slang-2.html - 83k - Cached - Similar pages

Stanley Steamer: Information and Much More from Answers.com
Stanley Steamer has also become a slang-word for "fecal matter". In the movie Lost & Found, comedian David Spade says to another character, "Why do you have ...
www.answers.com/topic/stanley-steamer-2 - 59k - Cached - Similar pages

cleveland steamers - compare prices, research products, save money
...A Cleveland steamer is sexual slang for one partner defecating on the other partner's chest. It is rubbed onto the recipient using a steamroller . ...
www.become.com/shop?q=cleveland+steamers - 177k - Cached - Similar pages

The government should nationalize it! Socialized, single-payer video game development and sales now! More, cheaper, better games, right? Right?

Last edited by Beerina; 9th June 2008 at 11:41 AM.
Beerina is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th June 2008, 01:39 PM   #11
godless dave
Great Dalmuti

Are there any stories about them being involved in hoaxes or fraud? I know they were involved in the Amityville case
Looks like you answered your own question there.
Old 9th June 2008, 02:22 PM   #12
ExMinister
RSL Acolyte

Originally Posted by imjohn View Post

http://groups.google.com/group/alt.f...e9a0178e6c2330
You gotta love the internet - If nothing else, it's making it harder and harder for the con artists and frauds to keep such behavior secret. Though it's just one person's opinion, it strikes me as believable as far as it goes. And this couple sounds particularly miserable in their choice of who to exploit.
Old 9th June 2008, 03:10 PM   #13
Miss Whiplash
Graduate Poster

The Warren's scared quite a few people out of their houses and made a mint off the gullible. IIRC, Lorraine was sued last fall by those involved in a past case.

I don't have a whole lot for John Zaffis either. One "demon possessed" woman died after several exorcisms. The woman had terminal cancer and was at the end stage anyway. Still, I fail to see how indulging a terminal cancer patient's delusions comforted her or her family.
Miss Whiplash is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th June 2008, 03:43 PM   #14
Goshawk
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Jeff Corey View Post

True, many of the Levitical cultural proscriptions have been dropped by the Christian church, but the basic principle of being forbidden to consult a medium, witch, spiritist, etc. remains the same, and remains a part of Christian doctrine.

The principle being, from Isaiah 8:19, "When men tell you to consult mediums and spiritists, who whisper and mutter, should not a people inquire of their God? Why consult the dead on behalf of the living?"

Which I always thought was an excellent point.

So anybody who hangs out a shingle as a medium consulting the spirits, and claims to be a Christian, is either lying, or horribly deluded as to what being a Christian entails.
Goshawk is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th June 2008, 08:00 PM   #15
imjohn
Critical Thinker

I always thought the Warrens were the worst of the ghost hunters. I used to enjoy Hans Holzer's books, but the first Warren book I read was also the last Warren book I read. Holzer's escapapades with Sybil Leek seemed like hokey fun, but the Warrens just took it all very seriously and their Demonologist crap was straight out of the Exorcist.
imjohn is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th June 2008, 01:52 PM   #16
Monza
Alta Viro

Heavensblade23, you may want to contact the folks at the New England Skeptic Society. They are the one who put out the weekly podcast, The Skeptic's Guide to the Universe. They have interviewed the Warrens on more than one occaision, I believe.

In one of their podcasts from a couple years ago, they tell a story where Steven Novella, Perry Deangelis and (I think) Jay Novella visited the Warren's home. While in the basement viewing the assortment of demonic objects, Ed Warren warned them not to touch anything for fear of inviting evil. Jay claimed that as soon as Ed turned his back, "I started touching everything I could". Good times.
Monza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th June 2008, 07:13 AM   #17
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by Goshawk View Post
True, many of the Levitical cultural proscriptions have been dropped by the Christian church, but the basic principle of being forbidden to consult a medium, witch, spiritist, etc. remains the same, and remains a part of Christian doctrine.

The principle being, from Isaiah 8:19, "When men tell you to consult mediums and spiritists, who whisper and mutter, should not a people inquire of their God? Why consult the dead on behalf of the living?"
I don't know ask the catholics with the saints.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th August 2011, 10:41 AM   #18
Chris Haynes
Perfectly Poisonous Person

Originally Posted by Miss Whiplash View Post
I contacted Mr. Garton about this two years ago. He did indeed post that and stands by his statement. The thread is floating around here somewhere. Ed did have some form of mental illness. In any event, he spent the bulk of his adult life on disability. That's how he was able to live such a freewheeling life, painting pictures of haunted houses, until the ghost hunting thing took off.

I am bringing up this thread because Monster Talk interviewed Ray Garton this week. Enjoy: A Connecticut Haunting in a Keen Author’s Court

Also the thread referred to above is linked to on Ed and Lorrain Warren's wiki page.

"HCN, I hate you!"
( so sayeth Deetee at http://forums.randi.org/showthread.php?p=1077344 )...
What I get for linking to http://scienceblogs.com/insolence/
Chris Haynes is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th June 2016, 02:56 PM   #19
Ernie M
Muse

Enfield Poltergeist case

Anyone have anything insightful to say about Ed And Lorraine Warren, the 'demonologists'?

Obviously some of their stories strain credulity. A demon-possessed Raggedy Ann doll seems unlikely to say the least, but it makes a great (fictional) story nonetheless.

Are there any stories about them being involved in hoaxes or fraud? I know they were involved in the Amityville case, and there seems be a lot of well-poisoning on the web concerning the involvement of Kaplan, who was one of the major players in exposing the Amityville phenomenon as a hoax. Related wikipedia articles largely seems to agree with Kaplan.

<snip>

Anyway, thoughts?

The Conjuring 2 movie was recently released, and is presented as being based on a true story from the case files of Ed and Lorraine Warren. In 2012, paranormal investigator Joe Nickell wrote about the Enfield Poltergeist claims as being a hoax in his, "Enfield Poltergeist," article. And, writer, skeptic, and science-based paranormal investigator Ben Radford wrote about the Warrens, some of their other, based on the "true case files" stories, as well as The Conjuring 2, in his June 21, 2016 article, "A Skeptical Look at 'The Conjuring 2.'"

Summary of some of the purported Enfield Poltergeist activity and explanations as hoax:

'Levitation' photographs
Photos of Janet Hodgson 'levitating' above or around her bed was Janet jumping from her bed. Janet jumped during opportune times when the still camera was set-up in the room on self-timer at 15 second interval, motor-drive firing. I believe Joe Nickell was mentioned in Refugio Donahoo's book, The Esoteric Codex: Paranormal Hoaxes, about how the photos, and other hoaxes, were done.

Demonic voice
The spirit-voice of Bill Wilkins has been stated by different sources as being achieved by two methods:

1. Vestibular fold (false vocal cords). Guy Lyon Playfair of the Society for Psychical Research stated that the voice "was produced by the false vocal folds," in other words, manipulated speech. But in denial that it was of natural causation, Playfair went on to say, "You can’t keep it up for very long without getting a severely sore throat. And Janet could go on for hours. And not get a sore throat so, how do you account for that? "

Source: *******EXCLUSIVE ***** Enfield Poltergeist Janet Hodgson 2012 on this morning. 8:59.

2. Bed sheets in mouth. Another way of producing the spirit-voice, as mentioned in Michael Clarkson's book, Poltergeists: Examining Mysteries of the Paranormal is that "Anita Gregory, of the Society for Psychical Research, who had spent just a short time at the Hodgson home, said the mysterious men's voices were simply the result of Janet and Margaret putting bed sheets to their mouths."

Seems the girls weren't watched during times of the spirit-voice occurrences.

Bent spoons

Bent spoons were purported to be of paranormal causation. But also mentioned in the book, Poltergeists: Examining Mysteries of the Paranormal was "In addition, Gregory said that a video camera had caught Janet attempting to bend spoons and an iron bar by force and “practicing” levitation by bouncing up and down on her bed."

Ed and Lorraine Warren had no scientific proof of any paranormal phenomena about the Enfield Poltergeist case. Ed (deceased 2006) and Lorraine Warren are story tellers, and not science-based paranormal investigators.

Taking a close look at what you see and hear
on a "Real Life. Drama." TV series.
Ernie M is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th June 2016, 03:58 PM   #20
fuelair
Cythraul Enfys

I find their devout Christian faith pretty perplexing. I'm reading a book on Ouija Boards right now and they pretty much said you should run away from one like it's on fire...but at the same time Lorraine Warren is supposedly a psychic and a medium herself. I'm not really sure what the great distinction is between using a ouija board to communicate with spirits and making use of psychic powers and mediumistic abilities to do the same. In fact, if you were inclined to believe in such things, it seems to me that using a board would be less dangerous because it's indirect contact. They also seem to hold some belief in 'earthbound' human spirits which is also at odds with their professed faith.

Anyway, thoughts?
Also, both a touch cra-cra. A BIG TOUCH!!!!!!!!!

Wash this space!

We fight for the Lady Babylon!!!
fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th June 2016, 03:58 PM   #21
Tomtomkent
Philosopher

The film is enjoyable hokum, but it bares little semblance to the reported Enfield stories, even if they were true. The Timothy Spall starring miniseries of the Enfield story was more satisfying, as a psychological horror. At least skeptics in that are well meaning, rational (and apparently wrong). In the Conjouring 2 a sceptic is a nasty soul who upsets Ed for not believing him. Tsk.

Oh... And the CofE Anglicans contacted the Catholics for help, who called in the Warrens? Reaaaaally?

Out of interest which of the Warren's ghost writers was told that they can build what they want on the facts, as long as it was scary?

Never look up an E-book because this signature line told you. Especially not Dead Lament (ASIN: B00JEN1MWY). Or A Little Trouble (ASIN: B00GQFZZQW).
Tomtomkent is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th June 2016, 05:41 PM   #22
Ernie M
Muse

Ray Garton

Originally Posted by Tomtomkent View Post
<snip>

<snip>

Out of interest which of the Warren's ghost writers was told that they can build what they want on the facts, as long as it was scary?

I believe you are thinking of horror fiction author, Ray Garton, when interviewed on Monster Talk, "A Connecticut Haunting in a Keen Author's Court," with host Blake Smith, co-host Karen Stollznow, and guest Matthew Baxter from Rocky Mountain Paranormal Research Society of duo Bryan and Baxter. Due to adult language, may not be suitable for some people.

In a Dark Place was supposed to be about demonic possession, and formed the basis of the movie, The Haunting in Connecticut (2009).

At issue: Ray Garton was contracted to write a book for the Warrens, In a Dark Place: The Story of a True Haunting (1992) co-authored with Ed and Lorraine Warren, Al and Carmen Sneaker. As Garton was researching and interviewing for In a Dark Place, he noticed many inconsistencies.

From the Monster Talk podcast:

12:10 Garton: The Snedekers, their stories, the details of their stories weren’t meshing. They weren’t adding up. And, so I went to Ed Warren, and I explained to him this, this was happening. I said, “I’m not sure how to go about this.” I had never done any non-fiction before. So this was a new experience for me and I was trying, I wanted to have all the information laid out in chronological order in front of me, and it just wasn’t adding up.

12:36 Garton: So I told Ed and and he said, um, “Well, they’re crazy. All the people who come to us are crazy- that’s why they come to us.”

12:46 Garton: He said, “Use what you can, and make the rest up.” He said, “That’s why we hired you- you’re a horror writer, you write scary books. We want this to be a good story, and we want it to be scary.”

13:04 Garton: I was a little, I was pretty annoyed it was being published as non-fiction because I had been told to, you know, just to make up what I- what I didn’t have or couldn’t make, work.

19:00 Garton: I wasn’t given time to do any historical research. I took the job, signed the contract, went to Connecticut. I was there for a couple of days for a lot of intensive interviewing, and I was given this story that, this information, and told by Ed, you know, “What doesn’t work, just make it up.”

19:22 Garton: And I talked to other writers who worked with Ed and Lorraine Warren- and that’s what they do. And they always go after horror writers because they want somebody who can tell a story, and make it scary. Just like Ed told me to.

20:00 Garton: I made my feelings known to my publisher. And I didn’t like the fact that it was being published as non-fiction. And, they just kept telling me, “We have no problem with the story that we’ve been told.”

20:13 Garton: And, they got very chilly, and they, you know, just didn’t want to hear me complain about it. And I suppose that if I had the money, which I didn’t, I could’ve gotten lawyers and tried to get out of the contract. But I already signed the contract and there was no way I was getting out of it without a-a -a legal problem. Which I just couldn’t have afforded.

20:34 Garton: So I went ahead and did it. I, held my nose, and that’s why as soon as the book was published- I started bitching. And I’ve been bitching ever since.

Last edited by Ernie M; 27th June 2016 at 05:42 PM. Reason: Added a yellow highlight for emphasis.
Ernie M is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th June 2016, 06:19 PM   #23
Magrat
Mrs. Rincewind

Originally Posted by Goshawk View Post

Which I always thought was an excellent point.

So anybody who hangs out a shingle as a medium consulting the spirits, and claims to be a Christian, is either lying, or horribly deluded as to what being a Christian entails.
However, king Saul did consult a medium, and many "god fearing" biblical men had their fortunes told . Jesus spoke to the dead ad told the future.
Old 27th June 2016, 06:48 PM   #24
Ernie M
Muse

Ric Osuna interview with Ray Garton

Ric Osuna also interviewed Ray Garton about Garton's book, In a Dark Place, and self-proclaimed demonologists, Ed and Lorraine Warren.

The interview is a good read.

I suggest a visit to Ric Osuna's The Amityville Murders™ website if you haven't read his book, The Night the Defeos Died: Reinvestigating the Amityville Murders. There's good insight as to the inner dealings of master charlatans.

From Osuna's on-line interview with Garton:

Ric Osuna to Ray Garton: Looking back on it, how do you view your experience with In a Dark Place?

Ray Garton: ... But it was the contempt in which Ed Warren held the Snedekers that made me so angry, and the fact that I went in expecting a solid story to already exist, one that I could simply write down in book form. In other words, I didn't expect to have to "make up" a story.

Osuna: How has your opinion changed of Ed and Lorraine Warren since your involvement with them in In a Dark Place? And do you feel they are more of a detriment to families out there than a help?

Garton: Prior to working with them, I found them entertaining and thought them to be, if nothing else, harmless. Not anymore. I think the families who come to them are, to say the least, dysfunctional. I think they tend to be people who are in need of serious help, not in need of the services of ghostbusters. Ed Warren's contempt for them is despicable. If he were to approach them with any sensitivity whatsoever, he would see that their biggest problems are not supernatural, but are very real. The Warrens enable these families to sublimate those problems by nurturing their dark fantasies.

Old 27th June 2016, 10:30 PM   #25
Tomtomkent
Philosopher

Ouch. Those interviews put things in... A different light entirely.

Never look up an E-book because this signature line told you. Especially not Dead Lament (ASIN: B00JEN1MWY). Or A Little Trouble (ASIN: B00GQFZZQW).
Tomtomkent is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th June 2016, 05:43 AM   #26
Ernie M
Muse

One more post with Ray Garton quotes, followed by posts of original research

I will add quotes from another, third interview, with Ray Garton, later today. It will add new information not included in my previous two posts about author Ray Garton.

I will make subsequent posts with material from my own research:

Lorraine Warren and her appearances on some Paranormal State episodes

Some new posts will cover information about Lorraine Warren and her appearances on some episodes of the A&E TV series, Paranormal State. I will detail new information you can read here for the first time.

Lorraine Warren and a lawsuit that... went away

I'll write about a claim of demonic possession as basis of a denial of personal responsibility for a crime (of murder), some published books, and how this harmed a lot of people.

Do you think that Lorraine Warren helps people with her self-proclaimed demonology and "psychic" abilities?

Old 28th June 2016, 11:29 AM   #27
tinribmancer
NWO Templar Agent And Proud Of It!

Question How does that work?

Originally Posted by RogueKitten View Post
However, king Saul did consult a medium, and many "god fearing" biblical men had their fortunes told . Jesus spoke to the dead and told the future.
Isn't that a bit of an awkward situation?

Jesus: Fear not, my children. I have come to tell thee thine future. I see great fortune and...
Undead person: but, we're dead...
Jesus: Oh... I see...

JC Denton

tinribmancer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th June 2016, 02:13 PM   #28
Ernie M
Muse

Ray Garton interview by irreligiosophy.com

Interview with Ray Garton on irreligiosophy.com starts at about 23:00.

This podcast is not suitable for work or a non-private computer due to mature theme and adult language. Might not be suitable for young kids. Or people who find certain language/subject matter inappropriate or objectionable. Adult language(?!) and adult themes abound. Listen at your own risk! But don't worry about any demons coming to get you.

This is the third of three posts that features another on-line interview with horror fiction author, Ray Garton. I’ve chosen highlights that I feel give additional insight to some behind the scenes issues about what author Ray Garton faced, being hired to write a book (In a Dark Place: The Story of a True Haunting) for Ed and Lorraine Warren, about making up a story that involved an alleged demonic situation. Garton has repeatedly stated that Ed Warren told him that when things didn’t mesh, “make it up and make it scary.”

33:25 Garton stated: They (referring to Ed and Lorraine Warren) come off as very pleasant at first, they’re like, your favorite aunt and uncle. But there’s a big difference between the way they behave when they’re putting on their little show, and the way they behave when they don’t have an audience.

36:07 Garton: You couldn’t disagree with him. You couldn’t have a discussion about, in which (Ed Warren), in which the story was questioned the discussion always had to accept their story as, as a given, as truth, otherwise Ed would just get so angry. He was difficult.

37:20 Garton: And other writers have told the same story that I’m telling right now. That basically, you know all the same details, so I’m not the only one, I’m just the only one who's gone public with it. I was so annoyed by this whole thing, because it didn’t take me long to figure out that there was not sincerity here at all. This was concocted from the beginning as a way to, you know to get a book or movie deal.

38:49 Because I knew, that this story was going to be so easily debunked, that I didn’t want anyone pointing their name- and I had my name on the cover, I didn’t want anyone pointing their finger at me and shouting, “Fraud.” So I beat them to it, and came out and said this was all ********.

48:36 Garton: All the years that I’ve been telling this story there’s never been a peep out of them. They have never mentioned me, they’ve never denied anything that I’ve said. They never threatened to sue me- there hasn’t been a word- until the movie (The Haunting in Connecticut) came out. And somebody talked to Lorraine, and she of course called me a liar, said that her husband was a wonderful man and would never say that the people who came to them are crazy.

Last edited by Ernie M; 28th June 2016 at 02:41 PM. Reason: Added the title of the movie. Corrected a typo.
Old 29th June 2016, 08:21 PM   #29
Ernie M
Muse

Graymalkin Media is now publishing Ed and Lorraine's books

Lorraine Warren and her self-proclaimed demonology and "psychic" schtick is BIG business. A lot of people associated with film, television, and print media have a vested interest in Lorraine Warrens' social and financial success.

Graymalkin Media has taken over publishing some of Ed and Lorraine Warren books

Books that were 'written by' or feature Ed and Lorraine Warren apparently are now re-published by Graymalkin Media. I believe Graymalkin Media is a privately-owned company (sole proprietorship?) formed in 2010, by David Zindel. David is married to actress Rachel Style.

Seems all the books regarding Ed and Lorraine Warren have new, similar, cookie-cutter artwork, in which "ED & LORRAINE WARREN" is the most prominent feature on the book covers. The exception is The Demonologist, by author Gerald Brittle. The title of that book is the most prominent feature.

Graymalkin Media book versions play up the notoriety of either The Conjuring movie (featuring Ed and Lorraine Warren characters) and/or The Conjuring 2 movie (also featuring Ed and Lorraine Warren characters), by having a header, "THE TRUE ACCOUNTS OF THE DEMONOLOGISTS FEATURED IN THE FILM THE CONJURING," or, "TRUE ACCOUNTS OF THE PARANORMAL INVESTIGATORS FROM THE CONJURING FILMS," depending on what book, when it was re-published by Graymalkin Media, and the version- print or Kindle. Ghost Tracks Kindle version book has, THE DEMONOLOGISTS FEATURED IN THE CONJURING FILMS.

In a Dark Place, no longer has "THE STORY OF A TRUE HAUNTING" on it.
The Graymalkin Media version has a re-designed cover with text, "THE ACCOUNTS OF THE DEMONOLOGISTS FEATURED IN THE FILM THE CONJURING"

I wonder if author Ray Garton stipulated that Graymalkin Media had to remove all instances of the word "true" from In a Dark Place: The Story of a True Haunting, before Garton agreed to have it (re)published?

Books once published by other companies, now published by Graymalkin Media:

Deliver us from Evil: Taken from the Case Files of Ed and Lorraine Warren
By J.F. Sawyer. Phillips Publishing Company, 1974.
Republished by Graymalkin Media, Oct 7, 2014. According to amazon.com

Ghost Hunters: True Stories from the World's Most Famous Demonologists
Ed and Lorraine Warren with Robert Chase. St. Martin’s Press, 1989
Republished by Graymalkin Media, December 31, 2014. According to amazon.com

Ghost Tracks
Cheryl A. Wicks with Ed and Lorraine Warren. AuthorHouse, October 12, 2004.
Republished by Graymalkin Media, Kindle version, June 8, 2016. According to amazon.com

Graveyard: True Hauntings from an Old New England Cemetery
Ed and Lorraine Warren with Robert Chase. St Martin’s Press, 1992.

In a Dark Place: The Story of a True Haunting
Ed and Lorraine Warren and Al and Carmen Sneaker with Ray Garton. Villard Books, 1992.

Satan’s Harvest
Michael Lasalandra and Mark Merenda with Maurice and Nancy Theriault and Ed and Lorraine Warren. Dell Publishing, 1990.

The Haunted: One Family's Nightmare
Robert Curran with Jack and Janet Smurl, Ed and Lorraine Warren. St. Martin’s Press, 1988.

The Demonologist: The Extraordinary Career of Ed and Lorraine Warren
Gerald Brittle. Prentice Hall, 1980.
Republished by Graymalkin Media, August 31, 2013. According to amazon.com

Werewolf: A True Story of Demonic Possession
Ed and Lorraine Warren with William Ramsey and Robert Chase. St. Martin’s Press, hardcover 1991, paperback 1992.

Book not republished likely due to lawsuit agreement.

The Devil in Connecticut
Gerald Brittle. A Bantam Book, 1983.

The Devil in Connecticut
Gerald Brittle. iUniverse, Inc., 2006.
Note: This was a photo-copy-type re-print of author Gerald Brittle's 1983 book, The Devil in Connecticut. The re-print was done without permission from Carl Glatzel, Jr., and David Glatzel.

On 24 May 2013, I was at the State of Connecticut Superior Court building in Danbury, Connecticut, and paid $2.00 for a copy of a Certificate of Disposition. Originally, I was going to review the lawsuit files to see if there were any additional documents I didn't get copies of on a previous visit, but the files were destroyed since the case was disposed. The Court isn't required to keep the records longer than one year after resolution, so, they were destroyed at some point between 12 March 2013 and 24 May 2013. I called and asked if the files were still there and was told, "Yes." It took me over seven hours to drive to Danbury, CT. I was not happy to find the files had been destroyed.

State of Connecticut Superior Court
DBD CV 08-4008461 S

Carl Glatzel, Jr., David Glatzel (Plaintiffs)
v.
Gerald D. Brittle, IUNIVERSE Incorporated, James Malloy, Joshua Smith, Lorraine Warren, Seth Wimmer (Defendants)

Certificate of Disposition

"This is to certify that the above entitled case, being an action claiming damages was returned to the Court on the fourth Tuesday of February 2008 and that on the 12th day of March 2012 was disposed of by the filing of a Withdrawl of Action and the same is not now pending upon the docket of this Court."

Uploaded this post on the evening of Wednesday, 29 June 2016.
Raymond Ernest Marsh (my full legal name)
Ernie Marsh (what my friends and most people call me)

Last edited by Ernie M; 29th June 2016 at 09:16 PM. Reason: Changed a sentence, corrected a typo, added some sentences.
Old 5th July 2016, 08:42 AM   #30
Ernie M
Muse

Lorraine Warren in Paranormal State episode that had faked paranormal activity

Lorraine Warren appeared in various episodes of the A&E TV Network series, Paranormal State. She was credited as being either a “paranormal investigator,” “demonologist,” “psychic,” “medium,” or a combination of two items. If Lorraine Warren was “psychic,” then why would she want to be associated with a TV series that contains false, misleading, and inaccurate information- including instances of faked paranormal phenomena?

The Paranormal State episode, “The Name,” contains (1) a faked ‘haunted’ door, (2) misleading portrayal that murders happened in the client’s home when the murders happened elsewhere, and (3) contains footage shot for/from other “Paranormal State” episodes. This doesn't include the issue that Lorraine Warren stated that because of the law of attraction, Jodi, the client has attracted (paranormal) phenomena to her house- which is not supported by any scientific basis.

As it relates to "The Name" episode:

(1) FAKED ‘HAUNTED’ DOOR

A door is shown to open (about 12:39 in the DVD) and then close on its own during a “Dead Time” seance in which “Medium” Chip Coffey, Paranormal Research Society members, and the clients Jodi and her son Nate, try to connect with the supposed spirit of a dead girl. Note: Lorraine Warren isn’t present for “Dead Time,” she appears later in the episode.

But that door was from another Paranormal State episode. The “Dark Man” episode was shot about 10 months after “The Name.” So the door that appears in “The Name” was from footage shot on location from “Dark Man.” It is also likely that foley sound effects of a squeaky door hinge, and footsteps were added to the ‘haunted’ moving door scenes in “The Name.” Fake.

(2) misleading portrayal that murders happened in the client’s home when the murders happened elsewhere

Synopsis per aetv.com website from years ago:

"Ryan Buell and company set out on one of their most dangerous cases to date--to help a single mother who is experiencing paranormal activity in a home that was once the site of brutal murders. The team enlists the assistance of psychic Chip Coffey, but the case is turned upside down when it's discovered that Ryan himself is the target of a taunting demon whose name spells pure evil." Highlight was mine, for emphasis.

FALSE ADVERTISING? MISREPRESENTATION?
Murders and spirits and demons supposedly associated with the murders play in integral part of “The Name” storyline.

But the Kreider family murders didn't happen in the PRS’s client’s house in Elizabethtown, PA.- they happened in Cando, North Dakota- approximately 1,250 straight-distance miles away.

The family members were taken back to Pennsylvania, and buried in the Risser Mennonite Cemetery.

Link for website footage shown in "The Name"
Scroll down to section titled, "Albert Bomberger * Cando (Towner County) * January 1894" if you want to read a short story about the murders.

Note: Lorraine Warren never said anything about the murders taking place in the client, Jodi's, house. But if she was "psychic," and had any good morals, values, and ethics- than what was she doing in this (or any) Paranormal State episode?

(3) FOOTAGE SHOT FOR/FROM OTHER “Paranormal State” EPISODES:

A. Bridge with sun in sky
At about 9:00 in the DVD source for “The Name” there is a bridge with sun in the sky scene. It is the Marine Parkway–Gil Hodges Memorial Bridge

The same and/or similar bridge with sun scenes are used in six episodes. The true location of the bridge spans across Brooklyn and Queens, New York, and was likely shot for Paranormal State, “Paranormal Intervention,” episode. "Paranormal Intervention" was shot in Queens, New York.

Note: Times are approximate, from DVD footage.

B. Outside view of hotel

The hotel where PRS members are staying was falsely depicted. The footage of the outside of the hotel is not in Elizabethtown, but is the Lowe Hotel in Point Pleasant, West Virginia. Paranormal State, “Mothman” episode was shot in Point Pleasant, West Virginia.

The producers/editors apparently liked the Lowe Hotel footage so much they used it in three different episodes:
(1) “Mothman.” Paranormal State, 20:39. DVD.
(2) “Lady Vampire.” Paranormal State, 9:13. DVD.
(3) “The Name” Paranormal State, 7:36. DVD.

C. The 'haunted' door.

"Darkman" The door was footage shot on location in Blairsville, Pennsylvania, in the Paranormal Research Society 'client's' house (Helen Isenberg, now deceased) Paranormal State, "Dark Man." Door can be seen about 5:26, and again at about 5:32 in the DVD.

Paranormal State "The Name," used door footage at about 12:39 and 12:53 from the DVD. This is different door footage than what's seen in "Darkman."

MORE DETAILS ABOUT "PARANORMAL STATE," THE PENN STATE PARANORMAL RESEARCH SOCIETY, AND LORRAINE WARREN TO COME...

I'll be posting additional key issues and facts about the Paranormal Research Society (PRS), the A&E TV Network series, Paranormal State and why I find the show to be despicable. I'll add details from other Paranormal State episodes that had Lorraine Warren in them.

I'll stop here with the fact that Ryan Buell, the founder of the Penn State Paranormal Research Society, on which Paranormal State is based, wasn't even a registered student during the Spring 2007, and Fall 2007, Penn State University semesters- that's when Lorraine was in "Paranormal Intervention," "The Name," "The Haunted Piano," "Pet Cemetery," and "The Asylum." By the way, I also feel Ryan Buell was exploited by the producers of Paranormal State. Hopefully you'll find some forthcoming facts to be illuminating.

Last edited by Ernie M; 5th July 2016 at 09:51 AM. Reason: added italics to Paranormal State. Added more sentences.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal