ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » Welcome to ISF » Other Skeptical Organizations » JREF » Million Dollar Challenge

Notices

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags carl brauhart , dowsers , dowsing

Old 22nd October 2004, 09:34 AM   #41
Ashles
Pith Artist

I realise and understand what you are saying about magnetic induction.

I am just asking if there is any evidence anywhere that this is in any reasonable detectable way possible in humans.

I haven't seen any or read anyone describing any way, so I am (for the moment - until any other information comes to light) assuming that this doesn't work as a method either.
Old 22nd October 2004, 09:46 AM   #42
IXP
Graduate Poster

Quote:
Originally posted by Ashles
I realise and understand what you are saying about magnetic induction.

I am just asking if there is any evidence anywhere that this is in any reasonable detectable way possible in humans.

I haven't seen any or read anyone describing any way, so I am (for the moment - until any other information comes to light) assuming that this doesn't work as a method either.
If you ask certain people, they would tell you that there is a way that the human body can detect current in an electrical transmission line. Just stand under it for about 50 years, if you develop a brain tumor, the wire is carrying current.

However, this is another topic which I am sure must be covered somewhere here in the forum.
IXP is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd October 2004, 10:01 AM   #43
Hellbound
Merchant of Doom

I don't know if it would work either, and I was not trying to argue it would.

I was just trying to explain that I thought this was what Hans was getting at, and it seems that it could be a plausible method, although I also have not seen it tested.

So, it seems we agree, but there was some confusion about my purpose in providing the information. Probably my fault, I was unclear.
Science is like safety testing cars. You don't coddle a new theory; you slam it head-on into other theories. You sideswipe it, rear-end it, and roll it over at 60 mph. If it survives better than the old theory, it's good. And the way it fails, and under what conditions, gives you the information to make the next theory even better.

I reserve the right to be wrong.
Hellbound is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd October 2004, 10:54 AM   #44
Ashles
Pith Artist

Cool for cats.

It's one of those things that just sounds like it should work somehow.

I was going to propose standing people next to generators in hydroelectric power stations, but I suspect they might have difficulty preventing their teeth falling out of their head, let alone detecting some small sensation of electrical potential in their cells.

Anyway cheers for the info.

International Skeptics Forum » Welcome to ISF » Other Skeptical Organizations » JREF » Million Dollar Challenge