ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories » 9/11 Conspiracy Theories

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Laclede primer , nanothermite , Niels Harrit , paint chips , tnemec , wtc

Old 5th January 2012, 08:20 AM   #1321
chrismohr
Master Poster

C'mon Ref: "In the wise words of the great Gravy aka Mark Roberts. Get a hobby, go out more, get out of this 911 crap for a while. It worked for him, and he was the best! Greets to Gravy if he still reads this subforum." I still climb mountains, cross country ski, compose music, meditate, volunteer at a prison program, attend dozens of operas and concerts every year, travel (40 countries so far), write concert previews for the Aspen Business Journal, host charity wine tastings for cancer research/food banks/soup kitchens, etc. I get out plenty. And now this English Major has jumped into the science world, learned boatloads about stuff I never dreamed I would learn before, successfully debated Richard Gage with twice as many people in the audience changing their minds towards the "Natural Collapse" side, and now organizing a peer-reviewed scientific study. Who'da thunk it? I agree tho that debating 9/11 CD people has finite interest. I don't know when I will feel like I have done everything I can do; maybe shepherding this dust study will do it for me. Then I'll join Gravy and Ryan Mackey and others on the sidelines.
WTC Dust study http://dl.dropbox.com/u/64959841/911...12webHiRes.pdf Hundreds more links and info both sides: http:www.chrismohr911.com
chrismohr is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th January 2012, 08:24 AM   #1322
carlitos
"ms divertido"

Well said, and this is a good "last" stop for the truthy hobby. Go out with a bang hush-a-boomTM.
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th January 2012, 08:28 AM   #1323
chrismohr
Master Poster

Just got this interesting email from France in response to my assertion that Jones/Harrit contacted Tillotson, the author of the original nanothermite study:

I have created a website ( www.bastison.net ) and wrote a book about the delusion of 911 conspiracy theories.

A friend has contacted Tillotson and Gash, the two first authors of the article cited by Jones and Harrit to confirm their results.
Jones and Harrit are liars: they never have contacted them and unlike their claims, Tillotson and Gash used ultra pure nitrogen and not air atmosphere for their DSC tests.

This person apparently asked Tillotson to release old emails to prove this and he refused. I don't know much about any of this but thought I'd put it out there. Not sure what's true here.
WTC Dust study http://dl.dropbox.com/u/64959841/911...12webHiRes.pdf Hundreds more links and info both sides: http:www.chrismohr911.com
chrismohr is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th January 2012, 08:33 AM   #1324
DGM
Skeptic not Atheist

Originally Posted by chrismohr View Post
This person apparently asked Tillotson to release old emails to prove this and he refused. I don't know much about any of this but thought I'd put it out there. Not sure what's true here.
Until it's backed up, it's hear-say. I'm not going down that path.

"How many leaves on the seventh branch of the fourth tree?" is meaningless when you are in the wrong forest: ozeco41
DGM is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th January 2012, 09:14 AM   #1325
moorea34
Thinker

I just read all the pages of this thread...

Excelent job guys!

Tnemec for columns, Laclede for truss floors. It seems now very clear.
Probably Chris and Jim will confirm soon all of that...

Congratulation for your researchs !
moorea34 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th January 2012, 09:31 AM   #1326
Oystein
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by carlitos View Post
Well said, and this is a good "last" stop for the truthy hobby. Go out with a bang hush-a-boomTM.
Unfortunately, this will probably the true effect out there in the world: Debunkers will yawn (they knew it all along), truthers will hand-wave (that will make the "hush" sound), and the other 99.99% of the world will not notice.

Then again, 99% of the world don't listen to gospel music, and yet I like to sing it
Oystein is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th January 2012, 10:15 AM   #1327
Oystein
Penultimate Amazing

Just got this interesting email from France in response to my assertion that Jones/Harrit contacted Tillotson, the author of the original nanothermite study:

I have created a website ( www.bastison.net ) and wrote a book about the delusion of 911 conspiracy theories.

A friend has contacted Tillotson and Gash, the two first authors of the article cited by Jones and Harrit to confirm their results.
Jones and Harrit are liars: they never have contacted them and unlike their claims, Tillotson and Gash used ultra pure nitrogen and not air atmosphere for their DSC tests.

On the bottom of that page:
Quote:
Joindre le webmaster : moorea34@bastison.net
I wonder who that might be...

Originally Posted by moorea34 View Post
I just read all the pages of this thread...

Excelent job guys!

Tnemec for columns, Laclede for truss floors. It seems now very clear.
Probably Chris and Jim will confirm soon all of that...

Congratulation for your researchs !
Thanks!

Oystein is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th January 2012, 10:22 AM   #1328
sheeplesnshills
Illuminator

Quote:
=Ivan Kminek;7905583]

sheeplesnshills Just denoting truthers as stupid and insane couldn't bring anything really useful, as is apparent from many threads on JREF.
With all due respect there has not been one intelligent or even sane twoofer post for years. They are what they are.

Quote:
I think that we have a quite unique chance to systematically and factually falsify one of the strongest truthers meme, which has been allegedly supported even with some science. And if we have this real chance (now thanks to the enthusiasm of Jim Millette), why not to grasp it? It is (at least to me) much more useful than endless disputations on other places.
No you don't. You won't get the same dust as Jones tested so twoofers will simply ignore the report on that basis. You will only inform educated and sane people and they wouldn't fall for the woo in the first place. Chris himself demolished most of twooferdom in his video series and to what result? They just hand waved it away.
sheeplesnshills is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th January 2012, 10:58 AM   #1329
Dog Town
Banned

Originally Posted by sheeplesnshills View Post
No you don't. You won't get the same dust as Jones tested so twoofers will simply ignore the report on that basis. You will only inform educated and sane people and they wouldn't fall for the woo in the first place. Chris himself demolished most of twooferdom in his video series and to what result? They just hand waved it away.
While all of this maybe true. I'm betting the chips they claimed to find, are easy to find. They are of course NOT thermi*te, sooper dooper, or otherwise. They are paint! A good study to prove that, goes a long way! Science done properly will be our ammo, for future entanglements with the maroon's!

GO SCIENCE!

Oh, and Chris, the check is REALLY in the mail!
Dog Town is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th January 2012, 11:12 AM   #1330
DGM
Skeptic not Atheist

Originally Posted by Dog Town View Post

Oh, and Chris, the check is REALLY in the mail!
This can't be true, Why again are you spending your money on this?

"How many leaves on the seventh branch of the fourth tree?" is meaningless when you are in the wrong forest: ozeco41
DGM is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th January 2012, 11:16 AM   #1331
Dog Town
Banned

Originally Posted by DGM View Post
This can't be true, Why again are you spending your money on this?

Because I can! Get over it!
Dog Town is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th January 2012, 11:28 AM   #1332
Ivan Kminek
Muse

Thanks, Morea
And thanks, Lefty, for this reminder.

sheeplesnshills Pls read once again Oystein's contribution No 1318.
We really do not expect any miraculous mass "enlightenment" in the truthers nation (considering that we are right with our hypotheses), just some more confusion and controversies in their rows.

With the full respect to the immense and admirable debunking effort of Chris, he is not a scientist and Jim Millette's planned study is a different league.
There is only one WTC dust and I am sure that Jim is able to prove the chain of custody of his samples (better than in the case of "Bentham samples").
But this is probably not so crucial as you perhaps think, since the authenticity of the samples should follow from their analyses and comparison with Bentham samples.

Please try to take in mind: Let me say that Jim (sorry to be so familiar) finds red-gray chips with provably and unambiguously the same XEDS, SEM and other characteristics (e.g. attached gray layers) as chips (a) to (a) chip in Bentham paper (I am not considering MEK chip here). And some other analyses (FTIR, PLM, better/different SEM, whatever) will lead to the conclusion that all these chips are identical and have the same origin in some abundant material in WTC (and their composition and other propertis are consistent with Laclede red primer).
There is NO WAY to seriously claim that some of these identical chips are primer paint and some others are nanorhermite. And, the occurence of the same chips in Harritt's and Millette's chips has to lead even some smarter truthers to the idea that they must have the same origin.

(Of course, I am now anticipating some ideal progresss in our paint matter and things could be more complex...)

Last edited by Ivan Kminek; 5th January 2012 at 12:20 PM.
Ivan Kminek is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th January 2012, 11:44 AM   #1333
DGM
Skeptic not Atheist

Because I can! Get over it!
Same here. Nothing to get over.

Old 5th January 2012, 11:46 AM   #1334
Ivan Kminek
Muse

Originally Posted by Oystein View Post
Unfortunately, this will probably the true effect out there in the world: Debunkers will yawn (they knew it all along), truthers will hand-wave (that will make the "hush" sound), and the other 99.99% of the world will not notice.

Then again, 99% of the world don't listen to gospel music, and yet I like to sing it
Ivan Kminek is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th January 2012, 11:52 AM   #1335
Dog Town
Banned

Originally Posted by DGM View Post
Same here. Nothing to get over.
Good. If I misunderstood your post, I apologize. Moving on...
Old 5th January 2012, 12:08 PM   #1336
DGM
Skeptic not Atheist

Good. If I misunderstood your post, I apologize. Moving on...
No problem. I'm only involved in this because I find it interesting. Besides this thread (on this sub-forum) I only post to ridicule (and at that tap dance down the MA line) for laughs. After this is done, I seriously doubt I'll have any interest in this CT.

They are already done.

Old 5th January 2012, 02:40 PM   #1337
shure
Thinker

All this testing will do is probably further expose Steven Jone's, etc... as frauds and maybe help misinformed believers of the thermetic pseudo-scientists.
shure is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th January 2012, 09:55 PM   #1338
chrismohr
Master Poster

Day One Report: One check for $30 arrived. Many more will arrive tomorrow I am sure.
Old 7th January 2012, 01:21 PM   #1339
chrismohr
Master Poster

Day One Report: One $30 check.
Day two report: Nothing
Day three report: $100 from the South
$200 from the upper midwest
$50 from overseas via PayPal intermediary
$25 from overseas PayPal
$25 from the Midwest
$50 from New England
$50 from overseas via PayPal

Total so far: $530

Hopefully you can recognize your donation by region and still keep anonymity. I know at least $200 more is in the mail from Europe and a southern US state, so with them we're closing in on $800. I'll report again on Monday. Thanks again everyone, I hope we can wrap this up next week!
Old 7th January 2012, 01:56 PM   #1340
RedIbis
Philosopher

$25 from overseas PayPal
$25 from the Midwest
$50 from New England

Hopefully you can recognize your donation by region and still keep anonymity. I know at least $200 more is in the mail from Europe and a southern US state, so with them we're closing in on $800. I'll report again on Monday. Thanks again everyone, I hope we can wrap this up next week!
You might have mentioned this earlier in the thread, but where are you getting the chips to test?
Old 7th January 2012, 02:03 PM   #1341
Miragememories
Banned

Originally Posted by RedIbis View Post
You might have mentioned this earlier in the thread, but where are you getting the chips to test?
Excellent question.

MM
Miragememories is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th January 2012, 02:13 PM   #1342
NoahFence
Psycho Kitty

Wherever they got it, you can rest assured it's legit, unlike the retarded theories you people spew.
Old 7th January 2012, 02:20 PM   #1343
BasqueArch
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Miragememories View Post
Excellent question.

MM

Excellent answer:
It was mentioned earlier in the thread.

ETA after two posts below:

Quote:
Comparisons of the dust/smoke particulate that settled inside the surrounding buildings and outside on the streets of southern New York City after the collapse of the World Trade Center, September 11, 2001.

Yiin LM, Millette JR, Vette A, Ilacqua V, Quan C, Gorczynski J, Kendall M, Chen LC, Weisel CP, Buckley B, Yang I, Lioy PJ.
Source

Division of Environmental and Occupational Health, School of Public Health, University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey, Piscataway, New Jersey, USA.

Abstract

The collapse of the World Trade Center (WTC) on September 11, 2001, generated large amounts of dust and smoke that settled in the surrounding indoor and outdoor environments in southern Manhattan. Sixteen dust samples were collected from undisturbed locations inside two uncleaned buildings that were adjacent to Ground Zero. These samples were analyzed for morphology, metals, and organic compounds, and the results were compared with the previously reported outdoor WTC dust/smoke results. We also analyzed seven additional dust samples provided by residents in the local neighborhoods......
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15149040

Quote:
Characterization of the dust/smoke aerosol that settled east of the World Trade Center (WTC) in lower Manhattan after the collapse of the WTC 11 September 2001.
Quote:

Lioy PJ, Weisel CP, Millette JR, Eisenreich S, Vallero D, Offenberg J, Buckley B, Turpin B, Zhong M, Cohen MD, Prophete C, Yang I, Stiles R, Chee G, Johnson W, Porcja R, Alimokhtari S, Hale RC, Weschler C, Chen LC.
Source

Environmental and Occupational Health Sciences Institute of New Jersey, UMDNJ-Robert Wood Johnson Medical School and Rutgers University, New Brunswick, New Jersey, USA. plioy@eohsi.rutgers.edu

Abstract

The explosion and collapse of the World Trade Center (WTC) was a catastrophic event that produced an aerosol plume impacting many workers, residents, and commuters during the first few days after 11 September 2001. Three bulk samples of the total settled dust and smoke were collected at weather-protected locations east of the WTC on 16 and 17 September 2001; these samples are representative of the generated material that settled immediately after the explosion and fire and the concurrent collapse of the two structures......
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12117648
In Your Guts You Know They're Nuts. "There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn't true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true." -Kierkegaard . "The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane. "- Marcus Aurelius
A Truther is a True Believer convinced by lies. You can't reason someone out of a thing they weren't reasoned into.

Last edited by BasqueArch; 7th January 2012 at 03:14 PM.
BasqueArch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th January 2012, 02:34 PM   #1344
Oystein
Penultimate Amazing

Jim and his lab have previously been involved in studies of WTC dust. I understand they have samples whose provenance is well documents and who have been sored with professional careever since they were retrieved. I expect Jim to provide details in the paper he'll eventually publish.

He is sorting out red-gray chips himself. I suspect in a similar fashion as Jones etc.

He said he'll preliminarily test them with Harrit e.al.'s methods, to ascertain that they are the same stuff as in the Bentham paper (XEDS spectra, SE- BSE-images in the 1m range...), particularly chips a-d, before doing more in-depth analysis.
Old 7th January 2012, 02:51 PM   #1345
DGM
Skeptic not Atheist

Excellent question.

MM
Proving one more time how well these guys pay attention.

Hey MM........................................... Squirrel.

Old 7th January 2012, 04:24 PM   #1346
Dog Town
Banned

Sadly,not from Kevin Ryan, he was a scared! Wonder why?
Old 7th January 2012, 04:37 PM   #1347
leftysergeant
Penultimate Amazing

$25 from overseas PayPal
$25 from the Midwest
$50 from New England

$20 US inbond as of today from Tacoma Washington.
Old 7th January 2012, 04:48 PM   #1348
chrismohr
Master Poster

It's OK with me RedIbis if you ask something that's already been answered. I'm lazy too and I admit it. I guess others have already answered your question. Sadly, Kevin Ryan is refusing to provide his samples, but some of these samples from Millette's collection are even closer to ground zero and some believe they have an even higher concentration of red-gray chips. What's frustrating about Kevin Ryan: for years he has complained that the establishment scientists never investigated the dust for thermitic material. Now Jim Millette comes along, and:

1.) He acknowledges they never looked specifically for thermitic material
2.) He plans to do a thorough study and has no pre-judgment about the outcome.
3.) He invites Kevin Ryan to a place at the table with the Big Boys and is willing to look at the red-gray chips KEVIN thinks have thermitic materials in them.
4.) He puts together the most thorough and careful protocol for this in history.

This would be a Halleluliah moment for someone who wants to have his research taken seriously, but Kevin adamantly refuses, saying Millette is "deceptive" in his past work and that I am "dishonest" for not revealing what I assumed he knew, that Millette has already studied WTC dust for the EPA in another context (not looking for thermitics, as Millette himself has acknowledged). RedIbis, I hope you will join what I call the Real Truthers who really want to know what's in that dust and support this (see post 1257).
Old 8th January 2012, 07:16 AM   #1349
Miragememories
Banned

?.. RedIbis, I hope you will join what I call the Real Truthers who really want to know what's in that dust and support this (see post 1257).
So are the "Real Truthers" different from your Nazi Truthers?

MM
Miragememories is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th January 2012, 08:56 AM   #1350
Dog Town
Banned

MM
Why are twoofers getting so scared?
Old 8th January 2012, 09:16 AM   #1351
LSSBB
Devilish Dictionarian

Why are twoofers getting so scared?
Because they can't handle the truth.
Old 8th January 2012, 09:22 AM   #1352
RedIbis
Philosopher

It's OK with me RedIbis if you ask something that's already been answered. I'm lazy too and I admit it. I guess others have already answered your question. Sadly, Kevin Ryan is refusing to provide his samples, but some of these samples from Millette's collection are even closer to ground zero and some believe they have an even higher concentration of red-gray chips. What's frustrating about Kevin Ryan: for years he has complained that the establishment scientists never investigated the dust for thermitic material. Now Jim Millette comes along, and:

1.) He acknowledges they never looked specifically for thermitic material
2.) He plans to do a thorough study and has no pre-judgment about the outcome.
3.) He invites Kevin Ryan to a place at the table with the Big Boys and is willing to look at the red-gray chips KEVIN thinks have thermitic materials in them.
4.) He puts together the most thorough and careful protocol for this in history.

This would be a Halleluliah moment for someone who wants to have his research taken seriously, but Kevin adamantly refuses, saying Millette is "deceptive" in his past work and that I am "dishonest" for not revealing what I assumed he knew, that Millette has already studied WTC dust for the EPA in another context (not looking for thermitics, as Millette himself has acknowledged). RedIbis, I hope you will join what I call the Real Truthers who really want to know what's in that dust and support this (see post 1257).
Thanks Chris, you've always been friendly and one of the few here that appears to be conducting research without rancor. My question was only specific, so if the study commences I would expect Jim to supply the provenance. A few quick points on your numbered items:

1) That's understandable. I wouldn't have expected them to at the time the study was done.

2) I don't understand this comments since a) I'm not sure that any scientist can research without any prejudgment.

3) I don't know enough about Ryan but the insinuation of your item suggests that what Ryan thinks isn't accurate, which would be a prejudgment. I hope that's your perspective and not Jim's.

4) That remains to be seen, doesn't it?

I don't know what a Truther is, let alone a Real Truther, so hopefully what commences are scientists who are interested in investigating the evidence with as little bias as possible, willing to follow the investigation whether it confirms their suspicions or takes them in an unexpected or even feared direction.
Old 8th January 2012, 09:28 AM   #1353
jhunter1163
beer-swilling semiliterate

Location: Connecticut, or King Arthur's Court. Hard to tell sometimes.
Mod Warning Please confine your remarks to the topic of the thread, which is the red-gray paint chips and their analysis. Thank you for your anticipated cooperation.
Posted By:jhunter1163
Old 8th January 2012, 09:49 AM   #1354
NoahFence
Psycho Kitty

edited because she's not worth it.

Last edited by NoahFence; 8th January 2012 at 09:58 AM.
NoahFence is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th January 2012, 12:22 PM   #1355
carlitos
"ms divertido"

Hi all,

I have at least one more contribution coming in to me as "Pay Pal broker guy." If anyone else wants to contribute this way, please hit me up with a PM in the next few days. I'll send you my PayPal details, and then consolidate the PayPal contributions into one more check, which I'll send to Chris later this week.

If you want a reference before sending $ to an anonymous internet poster, you can check with Chris, who seems to have gotten my first check.
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th January 2012, 12:51 PM   #1356
chrismohr
Master Poster

MM
yes MM, VERY different. I have met both and they are worlds apart. A Real Truther (my term, I admit) really wants to know the truth and would support an independent study of the dust. Your potential interest in this study speaks well for you in this regard.
Old 8th January 2012, 12:52 PM   #1357
chrismohr
Master Poster

Hi all,

I have at least one more contribution coming in to me as "Pay Pal broker guy." If anyone else wants to contribute this way, please hit me up with a PM in the next few days. I'll send you my PayPal details, and then consolidate the PayPal contributions into one more check, which I'll send to Chris later this week.

If you want a reference before sending $ to an anonymous internet poster, you can check with Chris, who seems to have gotten my first check.
I DID get the first check, and look at how many posts this guy has done over the years!
Old 8th January 2012, 07:35 PM   #1358
chrismohr
Master Poster

Thanks Chris, you've always been friendly and one of the few here that appears to be conducting research without rancor. My question was only specific, so if the study commences I would expect Jim to supply the provenance. A few quick points on your numbered items:

1) That's understandable. I wouldn't have expected them to at the time the study was done.

2) I don't understand this comments since a) I'm not sure that any scientist can research without any prejudgment.

3) I don't know enough about Ryan but the insinuation of your item suggests that what Ryan thinks isn't accurate, which would be a prejudgment. I hope that's your perspective and not Jim's.

4) That remains to be seen, doesn't it?

I don't know what a Truther is, let alone a Real Truther, so hopefully what commences are scientists who are interested in investigating the evidence with as little bias as possible, willing to follow the investigation whether it confirms their suspicions or takes them in an unexpected or even feared direction.
Hi RedIbis,
1) his statement that they didn't study thermitic material is a good place for him to start, and that's all he's looking for now.
2) True, but he can say honestly that he won't actually KNOW the outcome til;l he does the tests, which I was looking for in a researcher
3) Kevin et al DID the tests and published the results in the Bentham paper three years ago. I had asked Kevin to give us some red-gray chips from HIS supply which HE believed were thermitic. Kevin refused, so now Jim Millette will use chips he finds in his own WTC dust samples.
4) It is a very thorough protocol, with a laundry list of tests.
Hope this helps. Look at post 1257 now if you want to know more.
Chris
Old 9th January 2012, 12:08 AM   #1359
ref
Master Poster

Let me be a little more of a spoil sport. By the way, it's much more interesting discussing with you guys, than truthers. You guys give proper responses and the discussion actually moves forward! Here goes.

I agree that ni new tests are needed to show that Harrit e.al. did not find thermite. Their own data gives testimony to that.
Agreed.

Having this study published done by a real expert in this kind of physical-chemical analysis, published in a real science journal, and with the results we expect, should put a nail in the coffin of the thermite theory.
It doesn't, sorry to say that. I started following the TM in 2006, researching the history and origins of the TM claims. There hasn't been a nail in a coffin for any theory, not one. The closest thing to a nail in a coffin has been the abandoning of "Larry Silverstein said pull it". That doesn't pop up often anymore. So why would this be the first true nail in a coffin of a truther conspiracy theory? Sadly it will not be. David Ray Griffin still denies the phone calls, despite being so completely wrong it hurts. Griffin still has a following, and to this day some people doubt the phone calls.

You yourself admit, that the top TM figures will not suddenly admit that they were in error all this time. That's exactly correct, they won't. That alone explains, why this will not be a nail in a coffin for anything. These same guys will continue pushing this theory, and these same guys will still have a following.

For the past 2.5 years, Harrit's and Jones's thermite paper may have been the single most-referred piece of supposed evidence in all of the truth movement. Many of the TM leaders have invested their faith in it. If it turns out one and for all that they were all wrong, the inevitable conclusion is that these TM leaders have poor judgement when it comes to assessing the quality of evidence. With their major asset blown to pieces, one must ask if their judgement on all other evidence is not equally dubious.
You are making the basic error here, in assuming that being a truther is based on rationality and science. TM leaders have been shown to have poor judgement for years. Their judgement on all other evidence has been shown equally dubious for years. Has that been of any help, has the TM suddenly become rational and disappeared because of poor judgement on evidence? No. Their beliefs are not based on rationality and critical thinking. Yours are, that's why you are not a truther. Understanding this difference is key to all this debate.

This is in line with a challenge I have often tried on truthers, but none ever lived up to it: "If you believe there is a lot of good evidence for your inside job theory, then pick the one claim that you feel is your strongest such evidence, and we'll debate whether it a) is relevant b) is true c) logically implies what you think it implies. If what you feel is your strongest evidence turns out to not in fact be evidence for your overall theory at all, I submit you have no evidence at all". In this case, if a major portion of the TM regarded "ATM" as their best piece of evidence for CD, or close to it, despite us debunkers warning them of the shortcomings since days after it was published, then destroying "ATM" in one go should also reduce all other claims and supposed evidence of these truthers to a status of "highly suspicious". Because it's not as if Harrit e.al. defrauded them with falsified data or dubious material - all the reasons to doubt this supposedly "best evidence" have been before them for years!
None have lived up to your challenge, and the vision of the rest of your paragraph will not happen for the reasons I stated above.

It will surely create ripples and doubts among the top followers. I am thinking of maybe contacting some of AE911T's top "engineers", show them the study, and ask for commentary independent of AE911T editorials. For example: We have Marc Basile's "independent" confirmation of Harrit's results - we learn from Marc that at most 5% of the red layer could possibly be thermitic. Now we will learn that much closer to 0% is thermitic. I wonder what Marc has to say if a fellow chemist shows him data that probes all the Al is bound and none is elemental?
Sadly, it will not create much ripples nor doubt. No other work before this one has done it on any theory, and there has been plenty of work already.

Now, my personal motivation, and the topic of this thread, is to figure out what material these red-gray chips a-d really are. We have a theory that they are LaClede standard primer paint (i.e. pigments of iron oxide, aluminium silicate and strontium chromate in a matrix of cured amine epoxy) on oxidized and spalled-off structural steel, most usually A242 (iron oxide with traces of manganese). The only data we have to argue our case is the data from Harrit e.al. and from Basile, and maybe that of HenryCo. Some of that data is helpful, but it's not fully conclusive yet, in my opinion. I hope to get from Jim data of better quality, especially about chemical bonds and some more on the nature of the organic matrix.

Why? Well, it's a sport. A hobby.
Why is this particular topic your sport, why do you have such an interest in these chips? That is what interests me. The guys who introduced you to these chips have never had credibility to begin with, so why go to such lengths to dig more into their crazy theories? I don't see you guys putting such effort on Judy Wood or space beams, so why this? Is it because this particular paper is quoted more, and has more following? That still doesn't mean it makes any more sense. But that sure gives the paper more the attention they (Jones, Gage, Ryan) live by. Their only interest is to keep the topic alive. And that they have achieved very well.

I now donated a dollar amount whose order of magnitude is well in line with what I pay anually on other hobbies, such a playing guitar, singing in a choir, or swimming and inline skating, and a lot less than what I pay for photography.
I should clear one thing up. I didn't mean the hobby thing quite literally, as some of you have taken it. I know you guys have hobbies. It was just to show, that these people don't deserve the attention they get from you guys, your hobbies do. And photography can be damn expensive, but it sure is fun!

Thanks for being polite! I don't mean to diss you guys in any ways, just sharing my personal opinions.

Conspiracy theories abound and I believe firmly that all of them are without merit. - Chief Daniel Nigro

Last edited by ref; 9th January 2012 at 12:09 AM.
ref is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th January 2012, 12:25 AM   #1360
ref
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Ivan Kminek View Post
Hi, Ref) I think that investigating the ideas of a well-known frauds is a quite good hobby. Isn't it actually what JREF people are supposed to do here?
It's a good hobby yes, I agree. I do that too. But as I explained in my post to Oystein, the frauds live by your hobby of keeping the insane theory alive. There comes a point, when a certain theory has been beaten to death. To me this one already has. Keeping it further alive only benefits the frauds.

Originally Posted by Ivan Kminek View Post
Sorry, but I personally don't like your second paragraph. We have not been discussing here only "thermites", but many other issues of material science. And, thanks to this thread, I have been forced to learn many new things even in polymer chemistry, which is actually my job for more than 25 years. You may be not interested in those technical issues but let us to decide what we consider as "learning" in this matter.
If your job is polymer chemistry, then you do have a special interest in this topic, and my sentence wasn't pointed to you.

Conspiracy theories abound and I believe firmly that all of them are without merit. - Chief Daniel Nigro
ref is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories » 9/11 Conspiracy Theories