ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy

Notices

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 15th March 2012, 01:17 PM   #881
nowornever

I painted legs for the snake. Sorry for my mistake. Spoons are in the kitchen.
Thank you for your teachings.
nowornever is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th March 2012, 02:34 AM   #882
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Originally Posted by nowornever View Post
I don't believe in anything else.
Okay, so you don't believe in things. That's something. Well done.

If you don't believe in things, what do you know? Is the sun warm? Is water cold? If you jump from a third-storey window, will it hurt?
Old 17th March 2012, 03:15 AM   #883
Nasty Neil
Banned

While I very seriously doubt any "enlightened" person can tell me any thing they consider to be "enlightened" which I do not aleady know, it would be interesting for them to try.
Nasty Neil is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th March 2012, 03:23 AM   #884
Nasty Neil
Banned

FYI There is a considerable difference between "BELIEVE" annd "KNOW"

I KNOW the Sun is Hot, Water is Wet and some things hurt.

As I KNOW there is NO way for me to KNOW IF there a God or Not, I'm an Agnostic. And as I find there is
NO viable evidece to BELIEVE any god exists, I am also an Athiest.

Thus, I KNOW that I AM an Agnostic Atheist.
Nasty Neil is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th March 2012, 03:25 AM   #885
Nasty Neil
Banned

And, I know I make TYPOS!
Old 19th March 2012, 08:18 AM   #886
deaman
Philosopher

It's so obvious.....

Those who know, don't speak
Those who speak, don't know

So, anybody who is writing in this forum obviously doesn't.......OH, DAMN!!
deaman is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th March 2012, 09:05 AM   #887
badnewsBH
Thinker

I'm told my brother has a Jesus nightlight. Maybe he can help.
badnewsBH is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th March 2012, 01:01 PM   #888
nowornever

The Sun is hot.
Water is wet.
Nasty Neil - you can enter youtube and watch an enlightened human. If u feel something, u may go to him/her and ask for teachings.
deaman - I don't know but I write here to get to know, will you help me?

Last edited by nowornever; 19th March 2012 at 01:06 PM.
nowornever is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th March 2012, 04:09 PM   #889
dafydd
Banned

The Sun is hot.
Water is wet.
Nasty Neil - you can enter youtube and watch an enlightened human. If u feel something, u may go to him/her and ask for teachings.
Get to know what?
dafydd is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th March 2012, 06:54 PM   #890
nowornever

I want to get to know what life is? what love is? what death is?
Old 19th March 2012, 07:31 PM   #891
Craig4
Philosopher

That won't happen in your apartment. Well, actually the love bit might end up in your apartment if things go well but it will have to start outside your apartment. In other words, get out more.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th March 2012, 07:39 PM   #892
abaddon
Philosopher

In answer to your questions.

Worth living.
The best you can be.
The end.
Old 19th March 2012, 08:00 PM   #893
tsig
a carbon based life-form

You expect to find these here?
tsig is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th March 2012, 08:11 PM   #894
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Let's try something different.

Nowornever, can you please explain exactly what it is you mean when you use the word "enlightenment"?
Old 20th March 2012, 03:29 AM   #895
dafydd
Banned

Life is what you make it
Love is when you marry a lovely woman. I did that.
Death is the cessation of life.
dafydd is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th March 2012, 08:09 AM   #896
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

At least we can guarantee a final score of 1 out of 3.

I love this world, but not for its answers. (Mary Oliver)
bruto is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th March 2012, 07:10 PM   #897
Foster Zygote
Dental Floss Tycoon

Originally Posted by deaman View Post

And those who can't teach, teach gym.
Counterbalance in the little town of Ridgeview, Ohio. Two people permanently enslaved by the tyranny of fear and superstitution, facing the future with a kind of helpless dread. Two others facing the future with confidence - having escaped one of the darker places of the Twilight Zone.
Foster Zygote is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th March 2012, 07:15 PM   #898
Kid Eager
Illuminator

Except of course, for those who don't know they don't speak, but don't want to not speak about what they don't know. Which is really unspeakable, except if you didn't know that in which case you'd probably be speaking about it but not knowing it on account of being about as aware as a root vegetable. Ummm... as I was saying... I don't know, but I'm not saying what... or something.
Old 21st March 2012, 11:46 AM   #899
rcfieldz
Banned

King James Bible

Read It !!!
rcfieldz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st March 2012, 11:52 AM   #900
Jim_MDP
Illuminator

Originally Posted by rcfieldz View Post
Read It !!!
No thanks.

Been there...

Done that...

Got the T-Shirt.

(and the cassock... and the cotta)
Jim_MDP is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st March 2012, 12:51 PM   #901
Hokulele
Official Nemesis

Read It !!!

Already did. The language is a bit dense and vague at times, but the horrendous misogyny evident in large portions of the Old Testament, and the introduction of the notion of thought crimes in the New Testament was enough to convince me that Christianity, as defined by their bible, is definitely not a religion I could be interested in.

Ever.

- Tragic Monkey
Hokulele is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st March 2012, 01:54 PM   #902
Mashuna
Ovis ex Machina

Originally Posted by Hokulele View Post
Already did. The language is a bit dense and vague at times <snip>.
I agree, it was like trying to read as if through a glass, darkly.

Last edited by Mashuna; 21st March 2012 at 01:55 PM.
Mashuna is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st March 2012, 03:30 PM   #903
dlorde
Philosopher

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans" - John Lennon.

"Love is a smoke and is made with the fume of sighs" - Shakespeare (Romeo & Juliet)

"After your death you will be what you were before your birth" - Arthur Schopenhauer
Old 21st March 2012, 09:38 PM   #904
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

Read It !!!
Like many here, I did. The whole thing, and large parts of it more than once. I found it a useful antidote to unthinking faith.

I love this world, but not for its answers. (Mary Oliver)
bruto is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd March 2012, 12:21 AM   #905
tsig
a carbon based life-form

Read It !!!
Did you???
tsig is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th March 2012, 08:20 AM   #906
deaman
Philosopher

Sure, if I can. I am enlightened, you know.

The first thing I know is that I do not know everything. Also, I am a bit dubious about the things I think I know. Mostly, all of the thoughts in my head, which i think I know, are ********.

Life, Love and Death are exactly what YOU "think" they are to you. They will be something different when you think differently about them.

They "are" and will always "be", exactly what they are. Until one experiences them, they are just "words".
deaman is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th March 2012, 09:46 AM   #907
Dancing David
Penultimate Amazing

Harry Potter Read It

Read It !!!
Have you?
Never underestimate the power of the Random Number God. More of evolutionary history is His doing than people think. - Dinwar
Dancing David is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th March 2012, 12:43 PM   #908
Craig4
Philosopher

Read It !!!
I have. I've also read a great deal about how it came about, for whom and who translated it. You would find that reading disturbing I'm afraid.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th March 2012, 12:48 PM   #909
Twiler
Master Poster

Life: Physical stuff.
Love: Emotional stuff.
Death: Absence of stuff.
Twiler is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th March 2012, 06:57 PM   #910
Ali
Muse

Who doesn't?

Old 30th March 2012, 08:29 PM   #911
Ignosticist
Critical Thinker

anybody who is writing in this forum obviously know, because they are writing, not speaking.
All authority of any kind, especially in the field of thought and understanding, is the most destructive, evil thing. Leaders destroy the followers and followers destroy the leaders. You have to be your own teacher and your own disciple. You have to question everything that man has accepted as valuable, as necessary.
Ignosticist is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st April 2012, 02:02 AM   #912
Nasty Neil
Banned

I believe trying to post ligitimate answers in these forums is a waste of time as they disappear!

Oh well, I shall try again and include a very short answer to what love is.

LIFE IS WHAT YOU MAKE IT

BEING DEAD IS LIKE HOW IT WAS FOR YOU BEFORE YOU WERE BORN

RATIONAL LOVE IS A SET OF REQUIRMENTS MET
Old 1st April 2012, 04:33 AM   #913
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Oddly enough, I can't argue with that.
Old 1st April 2012, 05:04 AM   #914
Tatyana
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Nasty Neil View Post
While I very seriously doubt any "enlightened" person can tell me any thing they consider to be "enlightened" which I do not aleady know, it would be interesting for them to try.

Enlightenment isn't about knowing.
Tatyana is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st April 2012, 05:14 AM   #915
Nasty Neil
Banned

who says? YOU?
Old 1st April 2012, 05:27 AM   #916
Tatyana
Illuminator

who says? YOU?

Yes, I invented enlightenment.

The Buddha silly pants.
Tatyana is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st April 2012, 05:37 AM   #917
Nasty Neil
Banned

"to give intellectual or spiritual light to; instruct; impart knowledge to: We hope the results of our research will enlighten our colleagues."

So just how can someone IMPART knowledge IF they do NOT KNOW?

Last edited by Nasty Neil; 1st April 2012 at 05:39 AM.
Old 1st April 2012, 05:50 AM   #918
Tatyana
Illuminator

"to give intellectual or spiritual light to; instruct; impart knowledge to: We hope the results of our research will enlighten our colleagues."

Buddhist enlightenment is ontological/being, not epistemological/knowing.

The focus on meditation in Buddhism indicates the focus on being and the whole attainment of stopping the internal dialogue, clearing your mind, existing in the now.

However, if you are referring to the period in history that is called 'the enlightenment', then yes, that does focus on knowledge.

Then again, maybe I shouldn't bother telling you any of this, as you have already mentioned in this thread and in your introduction, you are here to teach people, not to learn anything.
Old 1st April 2012, 05:50 AM   #919
TheGoldcountry
Master Poster

It hasn't stopped you yet.

I have no idea what you're trying to say, but I'm still pretty sure that you're wrong. -Akhenaten
TheGoldcountry is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st April 2012, 07:19 AM   #920
Femke
Goddess of the Glowing Sunsets

Upon reading this thread and more importantly, nowornever's posts, I am starting to get worried.

nowornever, most of your posts are quite incoherent, have you ever considered to consult a mental health professional? Please don't take this as an insult, it is intended to express concern for your mental state.

I have not read all of this thread, if this was brought up before, my apologies.
Epiphanette (a very small epiphany): that kind of tingly, excited feeling of realizing that you were wrong, and that you have to adjust your world view accordingly. - With thanks to Weak Kitten and Blue Sock Monkey.

I am 100% confident all professional psychics and mediums are frauds. The rest might be sincere but are still deluded.

Last edited by Femke; 1st April 2012 at 07:19 AM. Reason: tyop
Femke is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy