ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Skeptical Podcasts » SETI

Notices

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 28th March 2012, 10:36 AM   #1
rcfieldz
Banned

From Where Out There...

So from what direction er...area of the cosmos will they come from? Will they be like this...http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0734684/ or http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0078748/ or am I way off? What about the satelitte (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pioneer_plaque ) will this be our undoing?

Last edited by rcfieldz; 28th March 2012 at 10:42 AM.
rcfieldz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th March 2012, 10:41 AM   #2
rcfieldz
Banned

unable to fix?

third link should be...http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pioneer_plaque couldn't get it corrected after repeated tries to. Got it finally...

Last edited by rcfieldz; 28th March 2012 at 10:42 AM.
rcfieldz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th March 2012, 10:50 AM   #3
Twiler
Master Poster

I don't know.
Twiler is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th March 2012, 10:52 AM   #4
Baloney
Muse

For anyone that feels they can answer this question accurately, may I recommed a particular challenge for you? http://www.randi.org/site/index.php/1m-challenge.html
Old 28th March 2012, 10:56 AM   #5
Weak Kitten
Graduate Poster

How about this?

Without any evidence we can imagine just about anything we want to.
A quick reminder to all participants that although incomprehensibility is not against the Membership Agreement, incivility is. Please try and remember this, and keep your exchanges polite and respectful. -arthwollipot
Weak Kitten is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th April 2012, 07:18 AM   #6
LarianLeQuella
Elf Wino

Huh? I think you need to gather your thoughts a bit more coherently before posting. Your posts don't make a whit of sense in relation to SETI.
LarianLeQuella is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th April 2012, 11:00 AM   #7
rcfieldz
Banned

OP or who..?

Originally Posted by LarianLeQuella View Post
Huh? I think you need to gather your thoughts a bit more coherently before posting. Your posts don't make a whit of sense in relation to SETI.
Search For Extraterrestrial Intelligence...And they are doing the same...ya think?
Old 5th April 2012, 01:45 PM   #8
LarianLeQuella
Elf Wino

Cool

Originally Posted by rcfieldz View Post
Search For Extraterrestrial Intelligence...And they are doing the same...ya think?
That's not at all what your original post said. Far from it. Heck, this post is not puch better.

As to answer, it would be nothing but idle speculation. If they turn out to have any characteristics like us, then perhaps they are. Only answer is that we have absolutely no idea, and thus all we can say on the subject is:

"I don't know."

and then shut our pieholes.

Mods, please close thread as we are done here.
LarianLeQuella is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th April 2012, 11:18 AM   #9
rcfieldz
Banned

Aliens

Originally Posted by LarianLeQuella View Post
That's not at all what your original post said. Far from it. Heck, this post is not puch better.

As to answer, it would be nothing but idle speculation. If they turn out to have any characteristics like us, then perhaps they are. Only answer is that we have absolutely no idea, and thus all we can say on the subject is:

"I don't know."

and then shut our pieholes.

Mods, please close thread as we are done here.
Well if they just read your post you can be sure they'll pass us by...No sign of intelligence there...
Old 10th April 2012, 01:20 PM   #10
LarianLeQuella
Elf Wino

Are you sure English is your first language? Your profile lists you as "Location: U.S.A." but your ability to comprehend what is being told to you (by more than just myself) seems to be very limited. Do you normally need to take medications for a psychological condition? Have you changed meds if the answer to the previous question is yes?

Look, "I don't know" is a much more intellectually honest answer than idle speculation. We suffer from a severe lack of data. And as a species, we also suffer from a lot of popular culture delusions and contaminations.

For instance:
- Is the desire to explore innate to intelligence and civlization? It was in our particular case, but is that universal?
- Do civilizations survive long enough to develop the unfathomable technology to conquer interstellar distances? Indications of our own civilization are that the chances are poor, but again, that's a datapoint of one.
- Does a civilization become more noisy in the EM spectrum as they advance? Again, our civilization is actually quiteing our EM broadcasts...

You see, those are intelligent type questions to ask, not attempting to really compare them to ourselves, or what the popular media has made up for entertainment purposes.

If I were to make something up, I'd say they are observing us via a system-wide quarantine, and will finally make themselves known by coming here once a critical mass of skeptics populate the planet, and turn all the woos, cons, fundamentalists, and people who can't seem to express themselves coherently into some sort of fertilizer for their bacon farms... See, very silly!
Old 10th April 2012, 01:44 PM   #11
rcfieldz
Banned

intelligence

Well if human behavior is any sign of the way the universe works. Or in examinations of other interspecies (animals or insects) relations go, I'd say we could probably be wiped out in the blink of an eye by whatever encountered our planet if that was/is their intention.
Old 10th April 2012, 02:05 PM   #12
LarianLeQuella
Elf Wino

And I am saying that human behaviour shouldn't be the basis for anything considering our lack of data... A datapoint of one is a datum. It means nothing all by itself.
Old 10th April 2012, 02:30 PM   #13
Beerina
Sarcastic Conqueror of Notions

Not true. It shows that one possibility is an actuality.

And from that, we can hypothesize that it is more likely we are closer to normal than an exception. An item pulled qt random could have been the only one in the bag, or the rare one among many otherwise similar ones, but is most likely to be an average one from among many.

The government should nationalize it! Socialized, single-payer video game development and sales now! More, cheaper, better games, right? Right?

Last edited by Beerina; 10th April 2012 at 02:33 PM.
Beerina is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th April 2012, 05:09 AM   #14
LarianLeQuella
Elf Wino

Cool

Originally Posted by Beerina View Post
Not true. It shows that one possibility is an actuality.

And from that, we can hypothesize that it is more likely we are closer to normal than an exception. An item pulled qt random could have been the only one in the bag, or the rare one among many otherwise similar ones, but is most likely to be an average one from among many.

I see what you are saying. I guess I just wanted to urge extreme caution when dealing with nutters like the OP...
Old 11th April 2012, 01:46 PM   #15
rcfieldz
Banned

Kepler mission

I guess Nasa's Kepler mission is on the right track if life as we know it could exist at any distance from Earth. That said...I am not all sure life, creation, or mankind for that matter is the only type of a lifeform or being might exist. Now I opened a can of worms I know but who knows what molecule, gene split could possibly occur in another atmoshere on another planet. http://www.seti.org/node/993

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Skeptical Podcasts » SETI