ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » Welcome to ISF » Other Skeptical Organizations » JREF » Million Dollar Challenge

Notices

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags dowsing

Old 31st March 2012, 12:18 AM   #41
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat

Originally Posted by jojonete View Post
I'm not sure why nobody has asked these questions directly yet
I can't answer for anyone else, but in my case it's because it's abundantly clear to me that flabio doesn't have the slightest clue what the answers are.

From the video he has posted it's clear he hasn't even grasped what the ideomotor effect is yet, and why a demonstration of it is not a demonstration that dowsing is capable of detecting underground water/pipes/cables whose position the dowser doesn't already know - which is what he would need to demonstrate to win the MDC.
Old 31st March 2012, 03:15 AM   #42
flabio

Nope, it's not the ideomotor effect at all. There's no time or room for make believe in my line of work.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ideomotor_effect
flabio is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st March 2012, 03:36 AM   #43
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat

Originally Posted by flabio View Post
Nope, it's not the ideomotor effect at all.
The only way you'd know that is if you'd done a double blind test. Please describe the protocol you used to do one, and how much better than chance the results you obtained were.

Quote:
There's no time or room for make believe in my line of work.
There is nothing make believe about the ideomotor effect. It's reality is well documented.

Quote:
Yep, that's the one. Here's another good article about it:

http://www.quackwatch.org/01Quackery...ideomotor.html
Old 31st March 2012, 04:23 AM   #44
EHocking
Philosopher

... I honestly thought there would have long since been a scientific explanation on how dowsing works by now.
There is.
Really, there's nothing to it.
"Science" came to the same conclusion as you.
"It's all god's handiwork, there's little quality control applied", Fox26 reporter on Texas granite
Forum Birdwatching Webpage
EHocking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st March 2012, 09:18 AM   #45
GzuzKryzt
Philosopher

Neat, my very own thread. Thanks guys!!!

Do you think I'd have gone through the trouble of making this YT video today if I were merely joking around?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GhSDe...ature=youtu.be
I will not just take your word that there are actual gas lines where you say they are. You may be right, you may be wrong. Without verification of the gas line being there, this video does not prove very much.

Have you thought about doing a self-test where the results can be verified, e.g. the one I proposed earlier?
GzuzKryzt is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st March 2012, 01:40 PM   #46
Lanzy
Muse

From that video you have GOT to be a troll. What was that supposed to prove??
I think I will wait behind a tree for you. Guess what I will yell.
Lanzy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st March 2012, 04:54 PM   #47
Matty1973
Critical Thinker

From the Wikipedia page for Troll

"In Old Norse sources, beings described as trolls dwell in isolated rocks, mountains, or caves, live together in small family units, and are rarely helpful to human beings."

An almost text book description of the second video!
Matty1973 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st March 2012, 07:10 PM   #48
Susan Gerbic
Graduate Poster

What worries me is that "he does this all the time at work" and that he "is going to redowse these lines and put the flags back in the earth".

So

Somewhere there are yellow flags stuck in a field showing where the gas lines are (or maybe not)

The San Bruno, CA gas line explosion is only a couple hours from where I live, many people were killed and a neighborhood burned to the ground. We take this kind of thing very seriously.

The idea that there is someone out there deciding where gas lines are by dowsing makes me uncomfortable. The idea that he said his co-workers also think this is okay makes me frightened.

Wonder if Tim Farley has any dowsing horror stories on his www.whatstheharm.net site?
Old 31st March 2012, 07:13 PM   #49
Susan Gerbic
Graduate Poster

Apparently Tim does have something on dowsing. No gas explosions.

http://whatstheharm.net/dowsing.html
Old 1st April 2012, 12:16 AM   #50
Southwind17
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Matty1973 View Post
I don't know if Flabio is a troll or not, but in his other video he explains how it is funny to hide behind a rock in the park and shout "RETARD" at tourists as they pass by.
Jeez - if Flabio moved in next to me I'd have my house on the market the very next day. Weird!

Nope, it's not the ideomotor effect at all. There's no time or room for make believe in my line of work.

Old 1st April 2012, 03:36 PM   #51
jojonete

Originally Posted by jojonete View Post
I'm not sure why nobody has asked these questions directly yet
Originally Posted by Pixel42 View Post
I can't answer for anyone else, but in my case it's because it's abundantly clear to me that flabio doesn't have the slightest clue what the answers are.
I thought posting the questions would be a good idea even if he had no idea about the answers.
In part, the goal of the questions was to find out if flabio is a troll. If he were, he'd just ignore the questions and go on with some random gibberish. If he's not, he'd do a very good effort to answer the questions.

If he did honestly try to answer the questions, that would (deservedly) greatly reduce trolling accusations on him. Furthermore, the answers could be used to design a protocol or, in the case the answer is "no idea", to tell flabio to go on testing until he got answers.

Flabio's answer was "Nope, it's not the ideomotor effect at all", which counts quite well as ignoring the questions and going on with random gibberish. Now I'll add myself to the "obvious troll" club and happily go to sleep (it's 12:36 AM here).

Last edited by jojonete; 1st April 2012 at 03:38 PM. Reason: join "my" with "self" so that it says "myself" instead of "my self". Easy, right?
jojonete is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st April 2012, 04:03 PM   #52
flabio

Being deemed a troll by a bunch of trolls is really quite laughable to say the least. If I wanted to troll or engage in a flame war I'd do that on an appropriate troll board.

Anyways...

I've found someone who is willing to put me through the blindfold test, and should have YT vids up in the next couple of days. The fella who's agreed to test me also has no faith in my ability to dowse what so ever, not unlike everyone here. This should be good, do stay tuned...
flabio is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st April 2012, 04:07 PM   #53
wardenclyffe
Graduate Poster

Good for you. I hope it inspires you to actually apply for a one of the challenges and earn yourself a big cash prize. Otherwise this thread should probably be moved out of the challenges subforum and to the general skepticism subforum.

Ward
Old 1st April 2012, 05:34 PM   #54
Montag451
Critical Thinker

Well that was compelling. Totally unequivocal proof of something or other.

I thought you were supposed to find something you didn't know where it was or have I missed the point?

Next time I put my car keys on the table I'll dowse for them there then.
Montag451 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st April 2012, 09:08 PM   #55
Southwind17
Illuminator

I've found someone who is willing to put me through the blindfold test, and should have YT vids up in the next couple of days. The fella who's agreed to test me also has no faith in my ability to dowse what so ever, not unlike everyone here. This should be good, do stay tuned...
Meantime here's a prediction ($1m prize if correct?!): somehow I think we're going to be disappointed.
Old 1st April 2012, 11:34 PM   #56
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat

I've found someone who is willing to put me through the blindfold test
If you mean a double blinded test, then good. As has been pointed out until you have successfully located something whose position you did not already know, under circumstances where all sources of information other than dowsing have been carefully and methodically eliminated, you yourself cannot know for sure whether or not dowsing works.

It might be a good idea to post the test protocol you intend to use here first. There wouldn't be much point in you going to the time and trouble of doing a test if there are fundamental flaws in it, would there?
Old 1st April 2012, 11:42 PM   #57
Mashuna
Ovis ex Machina

As Pixel42 notes, a blindfold test is not the same as a double blind test. Could you clarify what you're actually going to be doing in your test?
Mashuna is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st April 2012, 11:50 PM   #58
Southwind17
Illuminator

I've found someone who is willing to put me through the blindfold test ...
If Flabio is confusing 'blindfold' test with 'blind' test I think we could be here for the long haul!

Last edited by Southwind17; 1st April 2012 at 11:51 PM.
Southwind17 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st April 2012, 11:53 PM   #59
Southwind17
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Mashuna View Post
As Pixel42 notes, a blindfold test is not the same as a double blind test. Could you clarify what you're actually going to be doing in your test?
I'm not sure a double-blind test is necessary, or even practicable. A simple blind test (but definitely not 'blindfold' test) should suffice.
Old 2nd April 2012, 12:20 AM   #60
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat

Originally Posted by Southwind17 View Post
I'm not sure a double-blind test is necessary, or even practicable. A simple blind test (but definitely not 'blindfold' test) should suffice.
It's essential that no-one who knows where whatever it is flabio is dowsing for is buried is present during the test, as they can inadvertantly give him clues with their body language. So the test must be double blinded: neither the testee nor the observers can know where the targets are.

ETA: http://www.skepdic.com/control.html

Quote:
A double-blind test is a control group test where neither the evaluator nor the subject knows which items are controls

Last edited by Pixel42; 2nd April 2012 at 12:26 AM.
Pixel42 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd April 2012, 12:33 AM   #61
flabio

I was thinking a blindfold and a duct taped full face motorcycle helmet might be convincing. And like I've said before, I've only ever dowsed service lines before, so that's what I intend to stick with...
Old 2nd April 2012, 12:44 AM   #62
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat

I was thinking a blindfold and a duct taped full face motorcycle helmet might be convincing.
You need to demonstrate that you can tell the difference between ground which has a service line running under it from ground which does not, when there are no visual clues as to which is which, significantly more often than would be expected by chance.

Usually this is done by someone setting up an area with several marked spots, some of which have had whatever it is the dowser thinks he can detect buried in them and some of which have not, and then leaving whilst the dowser dowses each spot and identifies which is which. As long as there is no visual clue which is which, the dowser does not need to be blindfolded whilst he does this. As most dowsers need to see how their dowsing rods are reacting to determine whether they are getting a positive response, it's usually impractical to blindfold them.

Once the dowser has marked which spots he thinks are which, the guy who set it up returns and tells him if he is right.

The odds of getting the right spot by chance can be calculated beforehand. For example if there are 10 spots only one of which has the dowsing target buried in it, the chances of finding the right spot by chance is 1:10. For the JREF preliminary test, applicants are typically required to beat chance odds of 1:1000.
Old 2nd April 2012, 01:56 AM   #63
Mashuna
Ovis ex Machina

I was thinking a blindfold and a duct taped full face motorcycle helmet might be convincing. And like I've said before, I've only ever dowsed service lines before, so that's what I intend to stick with...
A double-blind test would be convincing, you being blindfolded would not.
Mashuna is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd April 2012, 05:21 AM   #64
Dumb All Over
A Little Ugly on the Side

flabio, it sounds like you have no clue what a double-blind test is. Here is a hint: it has nothing to do with a blindfold.

Double-blind Test
The Three Word Story Pledge of Allegiance-- "I Hereby swear upon Engelbert's grave that I will gallop, not stride run, not walk posting three words on Shemp's honor, honoring: bananas, dwarfs, clarinets, [the 7th naughty word], haggis, Batman, nuns, wombats until such time as I'm sober. Or dead."
"Some people have a way with words, other people...Um...Oh...Uh, not have way." --Steve Martin
Dumb All Over is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd April 2012, 11:31 AM   #65
Czarcasm
Muse

I am looking forward to flabio's next You Tube video, in which he points sticks at yellow flags while wearing two blindfolds.
Old 2nd April 2012, 12:57 PM   #66
Dumb All Over
A Little Ugly on the Side

Originally Posted by Czarcasm View Post
I am looking forward to flabio's next You Tube video, in which he points sticks at yellow flags while wearing two blindfolds.
Yeah. Wearing two blindfolds while dowsing gives a whole new meaning to double-blind testing.
The Three Word Story Pledge of Allegiance-- "I Hereby swear upon Engelbert's grave that I will gallop, not stride run, not walk posting three words on Shemp's honor, honoring: bananas, dwarfs, clarinets, [the 7th naughty word], haggis, Batman, nuns, wombats until such time as I'm sober. Or dead."
"Some people have a way with words, other people...Um...Oh...Uh, not have way." --Steve Martin
Dumb All Over is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd April 2012, 01:08 PM   #67
JohnnyG
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by Dumb All Over View Post
Yeah. Wearing two blindfolds while dowsing gives a whole new meaning to double-blind testing.
Yes, put one blindfold on each dowsing rod - that would prove the rods are not reacting because they see the flags.
JohnnyG is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd April 2012, 06:04 PM   #68
Southwind17
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Pixel42 View Post
It's essential that no-one who knows where whatever it is flabio is dowsing for is buried is present during the test, as they can inadvertantly give him clues with their body language. So the test must be double blinded: neither the testee nor the observers can know where the targets are.
I agree, but I don't consider that the test setters not being present is the essence of a double-blind test. A truly double-blind test would require that nobody knows where the burial site is/are, whether present at the testing or not. And that was my point - that's not practicable - hence a simple blind test, albeit with the test setters then vacating the test area.
Old 2nd April 2012, 06:08 PM   #69
Southwind17
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Dumb All Over View Post
Which is what Flabio means by wearing a blindfold and a duct-taped full-face crash helmet, I think!

As I wrote earlier, we could be here for the long haul!
Old 2nd April 2012, 10:13 PM   #70
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger

Which is what Flabio means by wearing a blindfold and a duct-taped full-face crash helmet, I think!

As I wrote earlier, we could be here for the long haul!
Very long haul as he has now been quietly suspended.
rjh01 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd April 2012, 12:01 AM   #71
wardenclyffe
Graduate Poster

Well, that wasn't fun while it lasted. But if Flabio is still reading this thread (and we know he is), and he's at all serious about applying for a cash prize; he's got all the info he needs.

Ward
Old 3rd April 2012, 02:35 PM   #72
Lanzy
Muse

Originally Posted by rjh01 View Post
He is now hanging from something?
Lanzy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd April 2012, 03:03 PM   #73
Saule
Scholar

Originally Posted by Lanzy View Post
Some rods.
Saule is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd April 2012, 10:55 PM   #74
realpaladin
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Saule

Some rods.
Blindfolded.
Doron Shadmi's errors (9feb14): http://forums.randi.org/showpost.php...postcount=3584
realpaladin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th April 2012, 04:04 AM   #75
Southwind17
Illuminator

Originally Posted by realpaladin View Post
Blindfolded.
Double layered.
Old 4th April 2012, 02:10 PM   #76
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger

Originally Posted by Lanzy View Post
We will never know as he probably will not come back. Not as Flabio anyway.
rjh01 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th April 2012, 09:35 PM   #77
johnnyawe
Student

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by rjh01 View Post
Why was he suspended? This was just starting to get fun.

I admit I was unable to tell if he was "trolling" or was serious.
johnnyawe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th April 2012, 10:04 PM   #78
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger

Originally Posted by johnnyawe View Post
Why was he suspended? This was just starting to get fun.

I admit I was unable to tell if he was "trolling" or was serious.
The answer is in this thread.
http://www.internationalskeptics.com...d.php?t=233532
Old 12th April 2012, 02:41 AM   #79
Lamuella
Master Poster

I could think of a few ways you could make a practical double blind test, depending on what Flabio claims he can dowse for.
Lamuella is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th April 2012, 06:01 AM   #80
Southwind17
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Lamuella View Post
I could think of a few ways you could make a practical double blind test, depending on what Flabio claims he can dowse for.
I'm sure most of us could. Still unnecessary, though.

International Skeptics Forum » Welcome to ISF » Other Skeptical Organizations » JREF » Million Dollar Challenge