ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Notices

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags john derbyshire , national review , racism charges

Old 7th April 2012, 04:02 PM   #41
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

Here's another piece of advice from his article. If you were black, would you want to be friends with this man?

Quote:
(13) In that pool of forty million, there are nonetheless many intelligent and well-socialized blacks. (I’ll use IWSB as an ad hoc abbreviation.) You should consciously seek opportunities to make friends with IWSBs. In addition to the ordinary pleasures of friendship, you will gain an amulet against potentially career-destroying accusations of prejudice.
Old 7th April 2012, 04:19 PM   #42
daenku32
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Clayton Moore View Post
I'm sure black parents give pretty much the same talk as the highlighted.

It's really boring how people like yourself make it seem that blacks are just tickled pink with whites.

A social experiment is in order.

Select a black and white muscle bound guy.

Send the black guy into a bar in a white neighborhood with a gorgeous white woman hanging all over him for three hours.

Send the white guy into a bar in a black neighborhood with a gorgeous black woman hanging all over him for 3 hours.

Send the black guy into a bar in a white neighborhood with a gorgeous black woman hanging all over him for 3 hours.

Send the white guy into a bar in a black neighborhood with a gorgeous white woman hanging all over him for 3 hours.
Is it safe to assume you have already performed this "experiment" in your head and used the "results" to write up a paper that confirms your assumptions of race?
daenku32 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th April 2012, 04:27 PM   #43
SonOfLaertes
Muse

Originally Posted by Puppycow View Post
Here's another piece of advice from his article. If you were black, would you want to be friends with this man?
"you will gain an amulet against potentially career-destroying accusations of prejudice"

Mr. Derbyshire better have himself a mighty big number of IWSB's then.
Best concise summary of Intelligent Design's never-changing key argument: “ the improbability of assembly of functional sequence all at once from scratch by brute chance” (Nick Matske, Panda's Thumb).
SonOfLaertes is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th April 2012, 05:41 PM   #44
Juniversal
CIA + FBI + NWO Employee

Is the following article by National Review columnist John Derbyshire racist?

Several of his colleagues think it is, and are distancing themselves from it.

The Talk: Nonblack Version

He goes on to talk a lot about statistics and gives links to a lot of articles and studies about race and crime rates. Finally he arrives at this practical advice based on all of this statistical analysis:
This could've been summed up in a simple statement like "avoid threatening looking people and avoid bad neighborhoods". Race not withstanding.

ETA: Also I was never given a talk about "how to cope with white America" nor do I think it's common amongst blacks as Derbyshire seems to believe.

Last edited by Juniversal; 7th April 2012 at 06:31 PM.
Juniversal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th April 2012, 06:02 PM   #45
balrog666
Eigenmode: Cynic

Originally Posted by SonOfLaertes View Post
"you will gain an amulet against potentially career-destroying accusations of prejudice"

Mr. Derbyshire better have himself a mighty big number of IWSB's then.

He does.

Political language… is designed to make lies sound truthful and murder respectable, and to give an appearance of solidity to pure wind. – George Orwell
balrog666 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th April 2012, 06:12 PM   #46
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

National Review fires John Derbyshire

Quote:
The National Review has fired longtime columnist John Derbyshire following an article he wrote for an online magazine that was widely viewed as racist in nature.

"[Derbyshire's] latest provocation, in a webzine, lurches from the politically incorrect to the nasty and indefensible," National Review editor Rich Lowry wrote in a statement posted late Saturday night. "We never would have published it, but the main reason that people noticed it is that it is by a National Review writer. Derb is effectively using our name to get more oxygen for views with which we’d never associate ourselves otherwise. So there has to be a parting of the ways."

In the highly controversial column, written for Taki's Magazine on Thursday, Derbyshire suggests white and Asian parents talk to their children about what makes black people different and the threats posed to their safety by black people. Five percent of black people are "ferociously hostile" to whites, according to Derbyshire, and most are willing to be hostile. Derbyshire advises parents to tell their children not to live or stay long in predominantly black communities.

"You don’t have to follow my version of the talk point for point; but if you are white or Asian and have kids, you owe it to them to give them some version of the talk," Derbyshire concludes. "It will save them a lot of time and trouble spent figuring things out for themselves. It may save their lives."
Old 7th April 2012, 06:13 PM   #47
Juniversal
CIA + FBI + NWO Employee

I'm black. This talk doesn't happen. This would be filed in the "don't talk to strangers" folder. I think a group of thugs of any race give off a "don't talk or approach me" aura.

Originally Posted by Redtail View Post
Really? I'm a son... & black. Never got that talk from my parents, nor do I see any reason to give it to my son.
Based on your avatar pic and your description of yourself I had an image of Benjamin Jealous pop into my head (ironically the Naacp President) lol.
Old 7th April 2012, 06:18 PM   #48
Juniversal
CIA + FBI + NWO Employee

Surprise surprise. Was a dumb article. Good riddance. And fyi Puppycow, the link in your OP doesn't work.
Old 7th April 2012, 06:28 PM   #49
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Juniversal View Post
Surprise surprise. Was a dumb article. Good riddance. And fyi Puppycow, the link in your OP doesn't work.
I don't think it's the link. I think their server is having trouble.
Old 7th April 2012, 06:54 PM   #50
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

I don't think it's the link. I think their server is having trouble.
If anyone wants to read the article, here is a google cache of the article.
Old 7th April 2012, 09:21 PM   #51
Juniversal
CIA + FBI + NWO Employee

If anyone wants to read the article, here is a google cache of the article.
Thanks for the link. In regards to the article, I find it maddening that anytime a story regarding black over (or under) representation in a given field or statistic there is always a mention of IQ. Whether it's a matter of religiosity, violence or the like, eventually "IQ" enters the discussion.

I don't buy the notion that intelligence and aggressiveness are strongly linked (bonobo apes are far less intelligent then humans but are docile creatures) nor do I buy the idea that most blacks have some in-born cognitive deficiency (of course i'm biased lol). More important is that many blacks (especially urban) don't grow up in intellectually stimulating environments nor do many go to schools that adequately nurtures it.

Given the history of racism in this country is no surprise the idea of black intellectual inferiority is entertained by some whites (hence most IQ research doesn't extend beyond talks of "whites vs. blacks" even though there are plenty non-black groups with comparable mean IQ to black Americans). Despite what the likes of J. Philippe Rushton believe, I conjecture that intelligence is extremely pliable and elastic, to a degree not accounted for in IQ test.
Old 8th April 2012, 03:00 AM   #52
UnrepentantSinner
A post by Alan Smithee

There's been a lot of echo chamber talk in Conservisphere about how it's the liberals who are the true racists... and then this bruhaha happened and the wingnuts at Free Republic didn't let me down.

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/2869225/posts
http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/2869410/posts

Post #3 in the second link
Quote:
I read the Derbyshire article. It was honest.

The Kenyan lizard’s pimp pimp Holder would be impressed.

NR is worthless and weak.
Stay classy Freepers.

Based on your avatar pic and your description of yourself I had an image of Benjamin Jealous pop into my head (ironically the Naacp President) lol.
I'm thinking Skip Gates' father.
I am an American citizen who is part of American society and briefly served in the American armed forces. I use American dollars and pay taxes that support the American government. And yes, despite the editorial decison to change American politics to the nonsensical "USA politics" subforum, I follow and comment on American politics.
UnrepentantSinner is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th April 2012, 04:47 AM   #53
Seismosaurus
Illuminator

But... how can they possibly fire him for racism? Surely he can point to a couple of token black friends to defeat such criticism?!
Old 8th April 2012, 07:05 AM   #54
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by leftysergeant View Post
Maybe people thought I was an Arab. I had just returned from a year and a half in Libya and looked a lot darker than the typical white guy in Seattle, and I had taken to wearing a Berber vest that I picked up in Tripoli.
I'm listening...

Quote:
A lot of it could also have been that I generally try not to look too out of place anywhere I go.
... You lost me.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th April 2012, 12:18 PM   #55
Clayton Moore
Banned

Originally Posted by Lamuella View Post
so wait... you think black people are afraid of black people?
I'd say that they are more wary of black people than white people. Believe it or not real people PROFILE all the time.
Clayton Moore is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th April 2012, 12:51 PM   #56
leftysergeant
Penultimate Amazing

I'd say that they are more wary of black people than white people.
Well, everybody should be afraid of the gangs, but that has more to do with a reaction to pvoerety than anything inherent in their race. We have white gangs, too, and they are trouble on the hoof.

Gangs like the outlaw militias and the KKKrap scare the bejeebus out of me. That's why I own firearms. When I am threatened, I don't care whether I am facing an enemy with a swarthy, black or shiny pink face. I'll smoke either if I think I have to.
Old 8th April 2012, 12:52 PM   #57
leftysergeant
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
... You lost me.
When you step outside your own millieu, leave your attitude at home.
Old 8th April 2012, 02:43 PM   #58
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Wow. I was totally wrong. Stupidly wrong, even. I withdraw any and all support or defense of this article, and of John Derbyshire in general.

I was operating on the principle that it couldn't possibly be as stupid as it appeared at first glance. It's a principle that usually serves me well, but it failed me miserably this time. I should have taken a second glance--a good hard look, actually--but I didn't. I'm very sorry.

Last edited by theprestige; 8th April 2012 at 02:45 PM.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th April 2012, 02:50 PM   #59
Moss

I'd say that they are more wary of black people than white people. Believe it or not real people PROFILE all the time.
Which does make it appropriate or justified.
Moss is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th April 2012, 03:12 PM   #60
Clayton Moore
Banned

Originally Posted by Moss View Post
Which does make it appropriate or justified.
It makes it necessary. Only fools don't cross the street.
Clayton Moore is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th April 2012, 03:24 PM   #61
Gazpacho
Master Poster

Editor Rich Lowry was seen on a street corner shaking his head and muttering "shocked, shocked!"
Old 8th April 2012, 04:01 PM   #62
MattusMaximus
Intellectual Gladiator

I never got this "talk" from my parents, nor did any of my friends.

I think John Derbyshire needs to go livein a deep hole, deeper than the one in which he apparently has been living in since the 1950s.
Old 8th April 2012, 04:23 PM   #63
Cain
Straussian

Wake up, white man.
Cain is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th April 2012, 05:57 PM   #64
Juniversal
CIA + FBI + NWO Employee

Originally Posted by UnrepentantSinner
I'm thinking Skip Gates' father.
Maybe. He certainly could've passed as completely white lol.

It makes it necessary. Only fools don't cross the street.
You're clearly missing the point. Are there some intimidating black people? Of course. But to make the statement that you must actively avoid black men because they could pounce at any second is comical.

If I saw Wayne Brady, Bryant Gumble and Al Roker strolling down the street would I feel compelled to cross? Of course not. Why not? Because they're not thugs/thugish. To conflate the entire black population with thugs is completely patronizing and idiotic.
Not to mention its common sense to avoid crime ridden ghettos of any ilk but black middle class neighborhoods can be perfectly friendly. He's casting a very, very wide net.
Old 8th April 2012, 06:16 PM   #65
Clayton Moore
Banned

Maybe. He certainly could've passed as completely white lol.

You're clearly missing the point. Are there some intimidating black people? Of course. But to make the statement that you must actively avoid black men because they could pounce at any second is comical.

If I saw Wayne Brady, Bryant Gumble and Al Roker strolling down the street would I feel compelled to cross? Of course not. Why not? Because they're not thugs/thugish. To conflate the entire black population with thugs is completely patronizing and idiotic.
Not to mention its common sense to avoid crime ridden ghettos of any ilk but black middle class neighborhoods can be perfectly friendly. He's casting a very, very wide net.
The rich neocon types are forever moralizing from their ivory gated environments

Only fools don't cross the street.

Quote:
But to make the statement that you must actively avoid black men because they could pounce at any second is comical.
Wow. That's certainly an unwarranted and ridiculous stretch.
Old 8th April 2012, 06:24 PM   #66
Juniversal
CIA + FBI + NWO Employee

The rich neocon types are forever moralizing from their ivory gated environments
Not sure how this relates to anything I said.

Quote:
Only fools don't cross the street.
Umm okay.

Quote:
Wow. That's certainly an unwarranted and ridiculous stretch.
Really? Isn't that the essence of his diatribe?

Last edited by Juniversal; 8th April 2012 at 06:25 PM.
Juniversal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th April 2012, 06:50 PM   #67
BrainRotMenacer
New Blood

It's really boring how people like yourself make it seem that blacks are just tickled pink with whites.

Send the black guy into a bar in a white neighborhood with a gorgeous white woman hanging all over him for three hours.

Send the white guy into a bar in a black neighborhood with a gorgeous black woman hanging all over him for 3 hours.

Send the black guy into a bar in a white neighborhood with a gorgeous black woman hanging all over him for 3 hours.

Send the white guy into a bar in a black neighborhood with a gorgeous white woman hanging all over him for 3 hours.
I must be naïve; I don't understand what to make of this. I guess I am supposed to expect a different response from each scenario?
BrainRotMenacer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th April 2012, 07:19 PM   #68
332nd
Penultimate Amazing

Nope.don't do that either. I'm more wary of crazy/stupid people, race isn't in the equation...

You really know nothing about black people do you?

Last edited by 332nd; 8th April 2012 at 07:22 PM.
332nd is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th April 2012, 07:36 PM   #69
Clayton Moore
Banned

Originally Posted by Redtail View Post
Nope.don't do that either. I'm more wary of crazy/stupid people, race isn't in the equation...

You really know nothing about black people do you?
I graduated from Shoemaker Junior High in Philadelphia. Black people looked out for me all the time.
Old 8th April 2012, 08:02 PM   #70
332nd
Penultimate Amazing

I graduated from Shoemaker Junior High in Philadelphia. Black people looked out for me all the time.
Irrelevant, even if its true.

In this thread you've shown a distinct lack of knowledge.
Old 8th April 2012, 08:24 PM   #71
Clayton Moore
Banned

Originally Posted by BrainRotMenacer View Post
I must be naïve; I don't understand what to make of this. I guess I am supposed to expect a different response from each scenario?
The point is that after three hours the white guys are very likely to get their ass in a sling. And that the black guys definitely won't.
Old 8th April 2012, 08:30 PM   #72
UnrepentantSinner
A post by Alan Smithee

If I saw Wayne Brady, Bryant Gumble and Al Roker strolling down the street would I feel compelled to cross?
I would.

Al Roker is such a sweet, adorable guy I'd feel compelled to solicit a hug or something and since I try not to fawn over celebs I'd want to avoid him.
I am an American citizen who is part of American society and briefly served in the American armed forces. I use American dollars and pay taxes that support the American government. And yes, despite the editorial decison to change American politics to the nonsensical "USA politics" subforum, I follow and comment on American politics.
UnrepentantSinner is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th April 2012, 08:50 PM   #73
Juniversal
CIA + FBI + NWO Employee

Your experiment needs added context. Whether the white bar is a redneck biker bar in the south or a hipster college crowd makes a world of difference. Same goes for the black bar.

Quote:
I would.

Al Roker is such a sweet, adorable guy I'd feel compelled to solicit a hug or something and since I try not to fawn over celebs I'd want to avoid him.
I may have to cross the street to avoid the gravitational pull of their "cornyness".
Old 8th April 2012, 09:45 PM   #74
leftysergeant
Penultimate Amazing

Your experiment needs added context. Whether the white bar is a redneck biker bar in the south or a hipster college crowd makes a world of difference. Same goes for the black bar.
No ****. I'm white and I would not take a white woman into a biker bar. Maybe into a place with live country-western music. (They tend to be a little bit classier than juke-joints.) I hit a couple places in Nashville back in 1979 with a black Peace Corps trainee just before both of us shipped out to distant places. Didn't much matter to anybody regardless the racial mix. Music brings all sorts of people together.
Old 8th April 2012, 10:00 PM   #75
Clayton Moore
Banned

Was mich nicht umbringt veraergert mich dennoch.

Old 9th April 2012, 12:43 AM   #76
Roger Ramjets
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by AlBell View Post
Judging from the stats of black on black violence perhaps they should be.
I myself am afraid of Americans. The US homicide rate is 4.8/100k, whereas it's only 1.4/100k in my country. Judging by those stats, I should be 3.4 times more scared of Americans than my own countrymen. I do note however that the vast majority of violence in the US is yank on yank, so perhaps I have less to fear than they do from themselves...

Another alarming statistic I just discovered is that 76% of Americans are Christians. This simple fact can only lead to one conclusion, that you are 3 times more likely to be assaulted by a Christian than anybody else! Shocking, but true...

The evidence is incontrovertible, but some statistically challenged apologists would have us believe that other factors may be to blame. For example, it has been suggested that blacks are more likely to be poor, and that there is a strong correlation between violence and poverty, so it's just a 'coincidence' that there's more black on black violence (didn't they ever stop to think why blacks are more likely to be poor? It's because they are black, duh!). Some have even suggested that individual traits have much more impact than a person's race, nationality or religion. Of course this is all nonsense, as the statistics prove otherwise.

So the next time you see some figures proving that blacks are more violent, you can be confident that those statistics cannot lie, there are never any confounding factors, and that collecting and analyzing statistical data based on race does not in any way perpetuate racist stereotypes.
Old 9th April 2012, 02:21 AM   #77
leftysergeant
Penultimate Amazing

Was mich nicht umbringt veraergert mich dennoch.

whoop

You caught that I have a problem editing mistakes. I'm old. This computer doesn't always act the way that i expect it to. Sooner or later, insh'allah, I will get in there and fix that. It might take some time. I still speak better German, Latin and Korean than I do Cybergeek.
Old 9th April 2012, 03:06 AM   #78
Juniversal
CIA + FBI + NWO Employee

Originally Posted by Roger Ramjets View Post
I myself am afraid of Americans. The US homicide rate is 4.8/100k, whereas it's only 1.4/100k in my country. Judging by those stats, I should be 3.4 times more scared of Americans than my own countrymen. I do note however that the vast majority of violence in the US is yank on yank, so perhaps I have less to fear than they do from themselves...
Not to mention the murder rate in certain Mexican border cities make our worst ghettos look like Disneyland in comparison. Many black on black murders in this country revolve around the same activity that spurs border city violence (drugs).
Old 9th April 2012, 08:46 AM   #79
Brainster
Penultimate Amazing

Some of the advice is sensible; some of it is clearly racist. Given that it's Derb and it's appearing in Taki's Mag, the latter is hardly surprising.
Brainster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th April 2012, 01:39 PM   #80
brenn
Muse

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
Given that John Derbyshire's wife of several decades is Chinese, I suspect that this is probably satire along the lines of A Modest Proposal... On the other hand, statistics don't lie--or do they? Maybe the problem is that we're tracking crimes by race in the first place?
Because if the statistics show that various races correlate with various types of crime, the easiest solution is to stop collecting the statistics so we don't know.

I haven't looked at JREF for many months, but it sure doesn't change.
brenn is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events