ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Notices

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Marsha Blackburn , political speculation , vice presidential choices

Old 8th April 2012, 06:00 AM   #1
MaGZ
Philosopher

Marsha Blackburn should be Romney’s VP pick.

She is the logical choice if he hopes to win the election. Being a woman, a conservative, a southerner, an evangelical and opposed to Obamacare she is exactly what is needed to compliment the ticket.
Comments please.
MaGZ is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th April 2012, 06:18 AM   #2
Tricky
Briefly immortal

Plus she's anti-choice, anti-gay, anti-immigrant and she's somewhat attractive. That worked out so well last time, why not try it again?

ETA:
Two statements rated by Politifact. One false, one mostly false.

Last edited by Tricky; 8th April 2012 at 06:23 AM.
Tricky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th April 2012, 06:32 AM   #3
hgc
Penultimate Amazing

Yes, I also encourage Romney to pick this very special plum from the whole orchard of religious whackos he has to choose from.

But somehow, I think he's got just enough sense to pick from another variety of fruit -- the Ayn Rand-lovin' type, for instance (Paul Ryan).
Old 8th April 2012, 06:51 AM   #4
MaGZ
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Tricky View Post
Plus she's anti-choice, anti-gay, anti-immigrant and she's somewhat attractive. That worked out so well last time, why not try it again?

ETA:
Two statements rated by Politifact. One false, one mostly false.
Actually the McCain/Palin ticket was ahead in the polls before the economic collapse.
However I never thought Palin was qualified to be VP.
MaGZ is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th April 2012, 06:55 AM   #5
MaGZ
Philosopher

I think the Dems and liberals are afraid Romney will pick a woman. They want the first female VP or president to be a Democrat.
Old 8th April 2012, 07:24 AM   #6
fishbob
Seasonally Disaffected

Originally Posted by MaGZ View Post
She is the logical choice if he hopes to win the election. Being a woman, a conservative, a southerner, an evangelical and opposed to Obamacare she is exactly what is needed to compliment the ticket.
Comments please.
And almost as flexible with the truth as Romney. Yep, perfect choice.
Completely unsuited to hold office, but perfect to run against Obama.
fishbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th April 2012, 07:56 AM   #7
Regnad Kcin
Philosopher

Ms. Blackburn is going to praise the ticket? Well, she belongs to the same party; I would expect so.
Old 8th April 2012, 08:18 AM   #8
Tricky
Briefly immortal

Actually the McCain/Palin ticket was ahead in the polls before the economic collapse.
No. They were briefly and marginally ahead right after the "post-convention bump". It lasted until she started speaking without a script, if that long.
Tricky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th April 2012, 08:46 AM   #9
Beerina
Sarcastic Conqueror of Notions

YES YES YES!

I love Mischa Barton!

The government should nationalize it! Socialized, single-payer video game development and sales now! More, cheaper, better games, right? Right?
Beerina is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th April 2012, 10:25 AM   #10
BenBurch
Gatekeeper of The Left

Guys, you have to pretend that you are afraid of her if you want to help Romney make that choice...
Old 8th April 2012, 10:28 AM   #11
GrouchoMarxist
Cowardly insulter of Buddhism

Well, all day long I hear how great Marsha is at this or how wonderful Marsha did that! Marsha, Marsha, Marsha!
Old 8th April 2012, 10:44 AM   #12
hgc
Penultimate Amazing

I think the Dems and liberals are afraid Romney will pick a woman. They want the first female VP or president to be a Democrat.
Oh please Mr. Brer Nazi -- Whatever you do, please don't throw me in the briar patch!
Old 8th April 2012, 11:22 AM   #13
daredelvis
Master Poster

Originally Posted by GrouchoMarxist View Post
Well, all day long I hear how great Marsha is at this or how wonderful Marsha did that! Marsha, Marsha, Marsha!
Jan quit your whining.

Daredelvis
Old 8th April 2012, 12:33 PM   #14
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy

Originally Posted by Beerina View Post
YES YES YES!

I love Mischa Barton!
You loved Sarah Palin, too. If at first a formula doesn't work, try it again to make sure?
Upchurch is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th April 2012, 01:12 PM   #15
ravdin
Illuminator

She seems like a perfect choice to me. I have every confidence the GOP will get the presidential and VP nominee it deserves.

Believe what you're told. There would be chaos if everyone thought for themselves. -Top Dog slogan
ravdin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th April 2012, 10:23 PM   #16
TimCallahan
Philosopher

Originally Posted by ravdin View Post
She seems like a perfect choice to me. I have every confidence the GOP will get the presidential and VP nominee it deserves.
Agreed. Go here to see her positions on the issues. She strikes me as Palin light.
TimCallahan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th April 2012, 01:29 AM   #17
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by hgc View Post
Yes, I also encourage Romney to pick this very special plum from the whole orchard of religious whackos he has to choose from.

But somehow, I think he's got just enough sense to pick from another variety of fruit -- the Ayn Rand-lovin' type, for instance (Paul Ryan).
As an aside, I wonder how many on the Christian Right know how much Ayn Rand hated Jesus's teachings. It seems that support for Ayn Rand is a lot less controversial among Republicans than say support for Richard Dawkins would be. Even though Rand is arguably more hostile to the alleged teachings of Jesus than Dawkins.
Old 11th April 2012, 01:31 AM   #18
uk_dave
Philosopher

Yeah, but religion is the opiate of the masses

uk_dave is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th April 2012, 01:59 AM   #19
BravesFan
Banned

i also think most on the left make the assumption that all republicans are jesus freaks when it simply isn't true. Nor even close to being true. (just as all democrats aren't tree hugging bark eaters).

I would reckon that Romney will pick either someone likable (Huckabee or similar) or someone who can deliver some indy votes (Rand Paul) or someone who can deliver a big state (Rubio of florida)
BravesFan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th April 2012, 03:16 AM   #20
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy

Originally Posted by LogicFail View Post
i also think most on the left make the assumption that all republicans are jesus freaks when it simply isn't true. Nor even close to being true. (just as all democrats aren't tree hugging bark eaters).
Is it safe to assume that all Republicans will portray themselves as Jesus freaks?
Upchurch is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th April 2012, 03:29 AM   #21
Tricky
Briefly immortal

Originally Posted by uk_dave View Post
Yeah, but religion is the opiate of the masses

What do velocities worship?
Old 11th April 2012, 03:58 AM   #22
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy

Originally Posted by Tricky View Post
What do velocities worship?
I would say "acceleration", but that would be derivative.
Old 11th April 2012, 06:28 AM   #23
The Central Scrutinizer
Penultimate Amazing

Comments please.
What will she do about the Jewish problem?

Lupus is Lupus tor central scrutineezer
The Central Scrutinizer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th April 2012, 12:15 PM   #24
BravesFan
Banned

Originally Posted by Upchurch View Post
Is it safe to assume that all Republicans will portray themselves as Jesus freaks?
I am a republican and not a Jesus freak, most of my crazy friends down here are republicans and not jesus freaks.

Take any group as vast as the two major parties in the USA and I reckon that you will have a half bell curve of their belief systems , most in the middle, then those on the extreme.

If you have ten people called the Clubbers who want ice cream but only one of them throws a tantrum about it, would it be fair to say that all Clubbers throw a tantrum about ice cream? Just because that was the only Clubber making the TV News?
BravesFan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th April 2012, 11:43 PM   #25
Beerina
Sarcastic Conqueror of Notions

You loved Sarah Palin, too. If at first a formula doesn't work, try it again to make sure?
No, I didn't actually. There's just something unsexy about her, in spite of her physical beauty, though I could never put my finger on it. Maybe the stupidity.

BTW, are you sure you read my post closely enough?

The government should nationalize it! Socialized, single-payer video game development and sales now! More, cheaper, better games, right? Right?

Last edited by Beerina; 11th April 2012 at 11:46 PM.
Beerina is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th April 2012, 12:17 AM   #26
SezMe
post-pre-born

I don't think the Republican VP pick is going to make much difference, if any, this election. Romney now has months to vet his short list and he's a sufficiently careful politician that he won't pull a boner like McCain did. He'll pick a solid fiscal and social conservative (like Ryan, not like Blackburn) who won't hurt his campaign with his/her fat lip. But won't help much either.
SezMe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th April 2012, 12:23 AM   #27
SezMe
post-pre-born

Take any group as vast as the two major parties in the USA and I reckon that you will have a half bell curve of their belief systems , most in the middle, then those on the extreme.
I don't think a normal distribution is quite right. I'd probably guess a lognormal distribution with 1/2<sigma<1.

In other words, there's damn few atheists/nonbelievers compared to Christians compared to fundies. I think you and your friends help push the tail of the distribution.
SezMe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th April 2012, 01:46 AM   #28
leftysergeant
Penultimate Amazing

The problem is that the psychos make the most noise and have the more energetic following, thus set far more of the aggenda than their numbers should permit.

Quote:
I would reckon that Romney will pick either someone likable (Huckabee or similar)...
Say good-bye to the First Responders as a voting block. They are not likely to forgive him for the Clemmons pardon.
Quote:
...or someone who can deliver some indy votes (Rand Paul)...
The only independent voters he would appeal to are the wild-eyed anarchocapitalists.

Quote:
...or someone who can deliver a big state (Rubio of florida)
Well, maybe, if serious buyer's remose has not set in after some of the crazy stunts their punk governor has pulled. You have a whole bunch of people in Florida dependent on Social Security and Medicare who realize what will happen if a teatard like Rubio should become VP, thus positioned for a run at POTUS.
Old 12th April 2012, 02:50 AM   #29
SezMe
post-pre-born

Originally Posted by leftysergeant View Post
You have a whole bunch of people in Florida dependent on Social Security and Medicare who realize what will happen if a teatard like Rubio should become VP, thus positioned for a run at POTUS.
Who are completely compensated for by some of the most draconian voter registration laws in the country which have the effect of removing tens (hundreds?) of thousands of voters from the rolls.

Last edited by SezMe; 12th April 2012 at 02:56 AM.
Old 12th April 2012, 07:45 AM   #30
JoeTheJuggler
Penultimate Amazing

Comments please.
I'm pretty sure you mean complement.

I guess the GOP is going to stick with the idea that a VP candidate should "complement" (or be as opposite the presidential candidate as possible). I wonder if they'll also try to find someone from a battleground state with lots of electors.

But then again, they really thought they'd get some Hillary supporters to vote for McCain by naming Palin.
Old 12th April 2012, 03:19 PM   #31
BravesFan
Banned

Originally Posted by leftysergeant View Post
The problem is that the psychos make the most noise and have the more energetic following, thus set far more of the aggenda than their numbers should permit.

Say good-bye to the First Responders as a voting block. They are not likely to forgive him for the Clemmons pardon. The only independent voters he would appeal to are the wild-eyed anarchocapitalists.

Well, maybe, if serious buyer's remose has not set in after some of the crazy stunts their punk governor has pulled. You have a whole bunch of people in Florida dependent on Social Security and Medicare who realize what will happen if a teatard like Rubio should become VP, thus positioned for a run at POTUS.
Pardon me if I don't value your obviously biased opinion, you are pretty much a communist
Old 12th April 2012, 06:02 PM   #32
hgc
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by JoeTheJuggler View Post
I'm pretty sure you mean complement.

I guess the GOP is going to stick with the idea that a VP candidate should "complement" (or be as opposite the presidential candidate as possible). I wonder if they'll also try to find someone from a battleground state with lots of electors.

But then again, they really thought they'd get some Hillary supporters to vote for McCain by naming Palin.
When you think about it, the VP candidate only matters on the negative side. If they're harmless or better, then the focus is on the top of the ticket. If they're Palin, then there is negative impact. I don't think Romney is going to pick a Palin. His VP pick will probably have a neutral impact.
Old 13th April 2012, 05:37 PM   #33
jj
grumpy old skeptic

Wow, she's a new Palin if those quotes are any indication.
Old 14th April 2012, 05:22 PM   #34
MaGZ
Philosopher

Representative Marsha Blackburn of Tennessee
While she’s never been elected to statewide office, Mrs Blackburn’s prominent positions within the Republican Conference, as the Deputy Whip and the Communications Chair of the National Republican Congressional Committee, probably help the fifth-term Congresswoman pass the qualifications threshold. With Congressional approval ratings in the single digits, a member of the House leadership is probably less likely to go from the long-list to the short list. Still, she’s not a white guy. As a Southern protestant legislator, she’ll bring some diversity to a ticket with Mitt Romney. In 2007, she went from being a Romney supporter to a Fred Thompson supporter, which probably makes her more appealing as Romney’s #2 to southern conservatives.

http://whatwouldspideydo.wordpress.c...everyone-else/
Old 14th April 2012, 05:54 PM   #35
fuelair
Cythraul Enfys

Look carefully! Mischa Barton is NOT Marsha Blackburn.

Wash this space!

We fight for the Lady Babylon!!!
fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th April 2012, 05:55 PM   #36
fuelair
Cythraul Enfys

Originally Posted by Beerina View Post
No, I didn't actually. There's just something unsexy about her, in spite of her physical beauty, though I could never put my finger on it. Maybe the stupidity.

BTW, are you sure you read my post closely enough?
They didn't, I did. Way to go!!

Wash this space!

We fight for the Lady Babylon!!!
fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th April 2012, 11:28 PM   #37
dc1971
Banned

Comments please.
There always has to be a Robin to the Batman with the Republicans, so that makes sense!
dc1971 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics