ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy

Notices

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags shroud of turin , Thomas De Wesselow

Old 8th April 2012, 08:06 AM   #1
shemp
Pith Generator

Shroud of Turin is back in the news, here we go again.

Controversial new theories on the Shroud of Turin

Quote:
[Thomas] De Wesselow - an agnostic, originally a skeptic about the Shroud - has just published a provocative new book about in which he concludes it's genuine.
Basically, it's the usual thing: known facts combined with rampant speculation. I doubt there's anything "provocative" about it, unless you're already a devout believer.

For example, he brings up this:

Quote:
He compared it to artwork depicting the Crucifixion created since the Middle Ages, referring to the Station of the Cross at the Church of St. Ignatius Loyola in New York City: "If you look at the hands on the cross, the nails go through the center of the palms," he showed Teichner. "That part of the hand is not strong enough to bear the weight of the body."

Meanwhile, the image on the Shroud shows the nail wounds going through the wrists. "That's how they would have done it in Roman times," said De Wesselow, supporting the idea that the Shroud is much older than the middle ages.
Right, as we all know, nobody in the 13th or 14th century could have known this and faked it. Yeah, sure.

But here's the "controversial" part:

Quote:
But now here's the provocative part: De Wesselow's take on the resurrection - what he says happened on Easter Day when Mary Magdalene and two other women went to Jesus' tomb:

"They go to the body, they lift off the cloth, and they notice this strange shadowy form on the cloth itself," he said. "Immediately, they would have had this perception of it as a living presence in the tomb with Jesus."

"They didn't see Jesus come alive again?"

"No, I think what they saw was the Shroud," De Wesselow said. "Once they saw the Shroud they understood that he'd not been resurrected in the flesh, he'd been resurrected in the spirit."

According to de Wesselow, each supposed sighting of the risen Christ was actually a sighting of the Shroud. He's convinced it was what sparked the rapid spread of Christianity, as it was taken from Jerusalem to Galilee, then to Damascus, where he believes Paul saw it and became a Christian.
Wow! That's it! I'm convinced! Because people couldn't possibly tell the difference between someone risen from the dead and a piece of cloth!

Yeah, about as convincing as this theory:

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

Last edited by shemp; 8th April 2012 at 08:08 AM.
shemp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th April 2012, 08:40 AM   #2
Beerina
Sarcastic Conqueror of Notions

I thought the point of Easter was that Jesus was, in fact, resurrected in the flesh.

It was conquering of actual death by reversing the death process -- not just guaranteeing a blue ghosty of you popping up next to Yoda if you were good. Heck, IIRC, according to standard Christian faith, your loved ones aren't in Heaven, yet. They're still dead in the ground. Eventually, the End Times come, and the graves give up all their dead, and the seas give up all their dead, and you all go stand before The Big Book and get sorted.

I mean, Jesus rams this point home by making Doubting Thomas feel the wounds the Roman soldiers made. Everyone knows your blue ghosty is healed of mortal wounds, missing limbs, and so on. No, this was actual, physical resurrection.

The government should nationalize it! Socialized, single-payer video game development and sales now! More, cheaper, better games, right? Right?

Last edited by Beerina; 8th April 2012 at 08:42 AM.
Beerina is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th April 2012, 08:44 AM   #3
Weak Kitten
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Beerina View Post
Everyone knows your blue ghosty is healed of mortal wounds, missing limbs, and so on.
Unless the missing limbs and scars are really cool looking...or happened before the movie started.
A quick reminder to all participants that although incomprehensibility is not against the Membership Agreement, incivility is. Please try and remember this, and keep your exchanges polite and respectful. -arthwollipot
Weak Kitten is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th April 2012, 08:46 AM   #4
Biscuit
Philosopher

Jesus was a Lich.
Old 8th April 2012, 08:50 AM   #5
332nd
Penultimate Amazing

I thought the point of Easter was that Jesus was, in fact, resurrected in the flesh.

It was conquering of actual death by reversing the death process -- not just guaranteeing a blue ghosty of you popping up next to Yoda if you were good. Heck, IIRC, according to standard Christian faith, your loved ones aren't in Heaven, yet. They're still dead in the ground. Eventually, the End Times come, and the graves give up all their dead, and the seas give up all their dead, and you all go stand before The Big Book and get sorted.

I mean, Jesus rams this point home by making Doubting Thomas feel the wounds the Roman soldiers made. Everyone knows your blue ghosty is healed of mortal wounds, missing limbs, and so on. No, this was actual, physical resurrection.
I thought the point of Easter was ham... Which is odd since he was Jewish...
Old 8th April 2012, 08:56 AM   #6
Dinwar
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Biscuit
Jesus was a Lich.
Thanks for that--I needed to squirt coffee out my nose today! :P

Quote:
"They go to the body, they lift off the cloth, and they notice this strange shadowy form on the cloth itself," he said. "Immediately, they would have had this perception of it as a living presence in the tomb with Jesus."
We have a weird view of the ancient world, painted more by The Lord of the Rings and Dungeons and Dragons than by actual historic facts. It has to be remembered that Rome had amazing artists. They were quite capable of creating life-like statues--in fact, one of the weird things about Roman statues is how life-like they were (they obviously didn't use the ancient equivalent of air-brushing very much). Their paintings included amazingly life-like images. I'll grant you that Judea wasn't exactly going to be a center of the arts, what with the insurrectionist movements and all, but the people living there weren't unfamiliar with art. A simple image on a piece of cloth wouldn't be that impressive.

Of course, on the flip side of that, you have the whole "Mary in a cheese sandwich" thing. So it's six of one, a half-dozen of the other.

I swear, by my life and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine.
Dinwar is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th April 2012, 08:56 AM   #7
The Central Scrutinizer
Penultimate Amazing

Yep, one of my fundy friends has already posted about it on Facebook.

Lupus is Lupus tor central scrutineezer
The Central Scrutinizer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th April 2012, 08:57 AM   #8
Avery Dashwood
Scholar

This book will be scoffed at by anyone with a molecule of skepticism in them and it will be considered heresy by those gullible enough to swallow the shroud story.
Avery Dashwood is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th April 2012, 09:23 AM   #9
tsig
a carbon based life-form

Originally Posted by shemp View Post

Basically, it's the usual thing: known facts combined with rampant speculation. I doubt there's anything "provocative" about it, unless you're already a devout believer.

Right, as we all know, nobody in the 13th or 14th century could have known this and faked it. Yeah, sure.

Wow! That's it! I'm convinced! Because people couldn't possibly tell the difference between someone risen from the dead and a piece of cloth!

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
Jesus as bedsheet.
tsig is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th April 2012, 09:35 AM   #10
Kahalachan
Illuminator

Boring.

Let me know when someone finds Dracula's coffin.
Kahalachan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th April 2012, 10:03 AM   #11
catsmate1
Penultimate Amazing

I AGREE

I wonder will our resident shroudie bring up this book? It seems to contradict some of his beliefs.........
Anyway I assume, not having read the book, that it comprehensively answers the reasons why rational people accept the shroud is a medieval fake:
  • the lack of evidence it existed prior to ~1355
  • the incompatibility of the shroud with usual Jewish burial practices
  • the definitive radiocarbon dating
  • the textile analysis
  • the belief of contemporary church figures that it was a fake, even indicating a local bishop questioned the artist who created the shroud
  • the pigment analyses, microscopical and chemical
  • the iconographic similarity to other religious art of the period
  • the ease with which the shroud has been replicated using period methods
  • the lack of correspondence of the image on the cloth to that which would result from it being used as a shroud
De Wesselow should leave science to scientists.
catsmate1 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th April 2012, 10:05 AM   #12
Lucian
Master Poster

Originally Posted by The Central Scrutinizer View Post
Yep, one of my fundy friends has already posted about it on Facebook.
In a positive way? That surprises me a bit because, as Avery Dashwood said, this theory has something to annoy everyone. For Christians, it denies the physical resurrection, which is pretty crucial to Christian belief. In addition, it is contradicted by the gospels: not only did Thomas rummage about in the wounds, Mary spoke to but didn't immediately recognize Jesus. Finally it assumes that the Marys and the apostles were complete and utter idiots who couldn't tell the difference between a sheet and a person.
Lucian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th April 2012, 10:35 AM   #13
jond
Graduate Poster

Do we really need another thread about this silly sheet?
jond is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th April 2012, 10:44 AM   #14
BStrong
Philosopher

"Jesus had a tough life. I read about that guy. Jesus is the only guy that ever came back from the dead that didn't scare the **** out of everybody!"

-Sam Kinison
BStrong is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th April 2012, 10:55 AM   #15
Polaris
Philosopher

With the smell that line is going to put off I feel for the poor bastard at the end of it.
"There's vastly more truth to be found in rocks than in holy books. Rocks are far superior, in fact, because you can DEMONSTRATE the truth found in rocks. Plus, they're pretty. Holy books are just heavy." - Dinwar

"Let your ears hear this beautiful song that's hiding underneath the sound," Ed Kowalczyk.
Polaris is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th April 2012, 11:23 AM   #16
Aridas
Crazy Little Green Dragon

Originally Posted by Lucian View Post
In a positive way? That surprises me a bit because, as Avery Dashwood said, this theory has something to annoy everyone. For Christians, it denies the physical resurrection, which is pretty crucial to Christian belief. In addition, it is contradicted by the gospels: not only did Thomas rummage about in the wounds, Mary spoke to but didn't immediately recognize Jesus. Finally it assumes that the Marys and the apostles were complete and utter idiots who couldn't tell the difference between a sheet and a person.
You realize, of course, that actually thinking logically and cohesively about claims that seem to support their beliefs is not exactly one of the most prevalent traits in fundies? Any and all arguments for Creationism, especially the young earth varieties, for example, are clear and ever present examples. That an otherwise somewhat intelligent fundy would throw idiocy at me like the "NASA proved the Bible" claim as if it was fact... just demonstrates the bad side of confirmation bias and annoying tricks that are often ingrained in fundamentalism, all over again.
Old 8th April 2012, 12:04 PM   #17
TimCallahan
Philosopher

Originally Posted by catsmate1 View Post
http://www.internationalskeptics.com...244f3a45a2.jpg
I wonder will our resident shroudie bring up this book? It seems to contradict some of his beliefs.........
Anyway I assume, not having read the book, that it comprehensively answers the reasons why rational people accept the shroud is a medieval fake:
  • the lack of evidence it existed prior to ~1355
  • the incompatibility of the shroud with usual Jewish burial practices
  • the definitive radiocarbon dating
  • the textile analysis
  • the belief of contemporary church figures that it was a fake, even indicating a local bishop questioned the artist who created the shroud
  • the pigment analyses, microscopical and chemical
  • the iconographic similarity to other religious art of the period
  • the ease with which the shroud has been replicated using period methods
  • the lack of correspondence of the image on the cloth to that which would result from it being used as a shroud
De Wesselow should leave science to scientists.
Yeah, particularly the radiocarbon dating. Once it demonstrated the medieval time frame of the cloth itself, that should have been the end of it. While the shroudies immediately attacked the tests, once their findings were made public, you just know they would have hailed them as great science had the carbon dating showed a first century origin.
TimCallahan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th April 2012, 02:32 PM   #18
Brainache
Nasty Brutish and Tall

Originally Posted by TimCallahan View Post
Yeah, particularly the radiocarbon dating. Once it demonstrated the medieval time frame of the cloth itself, that should have been the end of it. While the shroudies immediately attacked the tests, once their findings were made public, you just know they would have hailed them as great science had the carbon dating showed a first century origin.
Saw this bloke interviewed on the Telly yesterday. He did sound a lot like our resident "Shroudie". He even mentioned Rogers and neglected to mention the carbon dating.

I found a clip of the interview:

http://au.tv.yahoo.com/sunrise/weekend-sunrise/

You might have to scroll down to find the relevant clip.

Invert the prominent diaphragm!!!

I have eaten breakfast and have not written an Epistle to any Church. - dejudge.
Brainache is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th April 2012, 02:47 PM   #19
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger

Read the article. Everything in it could be true yet the Shroud still be a fake. Yes the article is nothing but speculation.
rjh01 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th April 2012, 03:24 PM   #20
Marduk
Banned

I don't understand this part about faking wrist wounds, there was no need for fakery as the nails through wrists concept of crucifixion was textually documented and heavily publicised 200 years earlier, by the church, thats the same church that owns the shroud of Turin, not as shroudies would have you believe affiliated with any of the artists involved with wrists through palms depictions which were all based on the bibles description of the risen christ with wounded hands.

hey wait, the infallibible got it wrong.

Last edited by Marduk; 8th April 2012 at 03:58 PM.
Marduk is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th April 2012, 03:37 PM   #21
aleCcowaN
imperfecto del subjuntivo

Can I rent the shroud by the time of my death? Just three days.
Old 8th April 2012, 04:36 PM   #22
Ausmerican
Illuminator

How well do you think a big beach towel printed as the shroud would sell? I'd buy one.
Old 8th April 2012, 04:39 PM   #23
fuelair
Cythraul Enfys

Originally Posted by Redtail View Post
I thought the point of Easter was ham... Which is odd since he was Jewish...
Ham.......and Eggs.

and Bacon!!

Wash this space!

We fight for the Lady Babylon!!!
fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th April 2012, 04:44 PM   #24
Brainache
Nasty Brutish and Tall

Originally Posted by Ausmerican View Post
How well do you think a big beach towel printed as the shroud would sell? I'd buy one.
Simpsons did it:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homer_the_Vigilante
Quote:
Flanders tells Homer that his Shroud of Turin beach towels were stolen during one of the burglaries.

Invert the prominent diaphragm!!!

I have eaten breakfast and have not written an Epistle to any Church. - dejudge.
Brainache is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th April 2012, 05:14 PM   #25
Marduk
Banned

Simpsons did it Simpsons did it Simpsons did it
I AGREE
Marduk is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th April 2012, 07:04 PM   #26
shemp
Pith Generator

If the shroud is real, then Jesus dyed for our sins.
Old 9th April 2012, 08:34 PM   #27
Dinwar
Penultimate Amazing

"Blast it, Jeshua! How many times have I told you to use WATER when you wash up! Just look at this towel--it's ruined!"

I swear, by my life and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine.
Dinwar is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th April 2012, 08:45 PM   #28
JoeTheJuggler
Penultimate Amazing

On a bit of a tangent:

Quote:
But now here's the provocative part: De Wesselow's take on the resurrection - what he says happened on Easter Day when Mary Magdalene and two other women went to Jesus' tomb:

One of the biggest problems with Christian scriptures is that the several accounts of "Easter" morning don't match up. This is supposed to be the single most important event to all of Christianity (don't say it was the crucifixion, because that wasn't at all novel), and the actual Gospel accounts can't even agree on what exactly took place that morning (or what morning it was or even who was there).
Old 9th April 2012, 08:52 PM   #29
MattusMaximus
Intellectual Gladiator

Originally Posted by JoeTheJuggler View Post
On a bit of a tangent:

One of the biggest problems with Christian scriptures is that the several accounts of "Easter" morning don't match up. This is supposed to be the single most important event to all of Christianity (don't say it was the crucifixion, because that wasn't at all novel), and the actual Gospel accounts can't even agree on what exactly took place that morning (or what morning it was or even who was there).
This ^

A careful reading of the canonical Gospels shows this pretty clearly. And THIS is the event the supposed authenticity of the shroud is based upon?

Not very impressive. Barely yawn-worthy, in fact.
Old 9th April 2012, 11:02 PM   #30
pakeha
Penultimate Amazing

Quote:

Only if they'd eaten or smoked something really quite extraordinary for breakfast that morning, IMO.
Old 9th April 2012, 11:14 PM   #31
Craig B
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by pakeha View Post
Only if they'd eaten or smoked something really quite extraordinary for breakfast that morning, IMO.
This supplies some support - otherwise lacking - for Allegro's "Jesus was a magic mushroom" theory.
Craig B is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy