ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Notices

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags cold reading , john edward

Old 4th April 2012, 09:29 PM   #1
firecoins
Illuminator

Jon Edward performance

I will be attending a John Edward performance in Queens NY on 5/12.

Has anyone actually gone to one of his performances?

I am both right wing nut and left wing lunatic. Deal with it.
firecoins is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th April 2012, 02:52 AM   #2
Brattus
Graduate Poster

No doubt someone at some point has or there would be no show.
Just stands to reason.
Brattus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th April 2012, 04:38 AM   #3
Jeff Corey
New York Skeptic

No, but I saw him at a book signing in Book Revue in Huntington about when his TV show "Crossing Over" first aired.
What I saw there was rapid-fire cold reading.
Jeff Corey is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th April 2012, 06:33 AM   #4
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by firecoins View Post
I will be attending a John Edward performance in Queens NY on 5/12.

Has anyone actually gone to one of his performances?
You mean, anyone living?
Old 5th April 2012, 06:46 AM   #5
LarianLeQuella
Elf Wino

Make sure to bring a "Cold Reading Bingo" card with you. Travis Roy (username is scooter or something here) from Granite State Skeptics can provide you with one I'm sure.
LarianLeQuella is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th April 2012, 07:15 AM   #6
Moon-Spinner
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by LarianLeQuella View Post
Make sure to bring a "Cold Reading Bingo" card with you. Travis Roy (username is scooter or something here) from Granite State Skeptics can provide you with one I'm sure.
Or you can print a copy from here...

Cold Reading Bingo
Moon-Spinner is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th April 2012, 12:35 PM   #7
cwalner
Philosopher

Originally Posted by LarianLeQuella View Post
That would be ****** hilarious to have a group doing this and have somebody actually stand up during his performance and shout 'Bingo!'
Old 5th April 2012, 12:58 PM   #8
Brown
Penultimate Amazing

A performance? Does he, like, sing or play an instrument or dance or tell jokes or anything like that? Or does he merely "coalesce the vapors of human experience into a viable and meaningful comprehension"? And while he's a-talking to the dead, ask him what the late Bea Arthur might say about THAT.

(Don't know what I'm talking about? Click here.)

"Don't you get me wrong. I only want to know." -- Judas in Jesus Christ Superstar, lyrics by Tim Rice
Brown is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th April 2012, 01:10 PM   #9
wardenclyffe
Graduate Poster

I would suggest printing out a number of bingo cards. Leave little stacks of them in the restrooms. Try a "take one and pass it on" strategy. Don't get yourself thrown out, though.

Ward
Old 5th April 2012, 01:31 PM   #10
Moon-Spinner
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by wardenclyffe View Post
I would suggest printing out a number of bingo cards. Leave little stacks of them in the restrooms. Try a "take one and pass it on" strategy. Don't get yourself thrown out, though.

Ward
Make sure to include the instructions on how to use the Bingo cards too. I'm guessing that most people going to see John Edward are not terribly hip to cold reading techniques.
Moon-Spinner is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th April 2012, 02:03 PM   #11
azzthom
Muse

If you have time, you might consider contacting the local press and giving them a Bingo Card. Might make for an interesting review...
azzthom is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th April 2012, 03:55 PM   #12
Azrael 5
Philosopher

He gives himself so many outs he cant fail.
Above you like brother cousin uncle father etc.(basically any male you can think of)Cant recall the other directions.
Old 5th April 2012, 05:32 PM   #13
Monza
Alta Viro

If you can, try keeping track of the number of questions he throws out. You can use one of those mechanical counters; they are small enough to put in your pocket. John Edward is notorious for shotgunning questions at a rapid-fire pace hoping to get a hit. He flys by the plethora of misses.

Be sure to post an update after the show.

...alternatively, you can just hand out souvenir douches. He once won a contest, you know.
Monza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th April 2012, 08:16 PM   #14
ExMinister
RSL Acolyte

I went years ago. Fairly big auditorium, sitting towards the middle. He did an introduction but from the point he started individual readings could not hear much of anything he said. Wondering if all of his non-televised shows are like that.
Old 6th April 2012, 08:13 AM   #15
kedo1981
Master Poster

Every time he starts his "i'm sensing" bs, exclaim "THATS ME, THATS MY DAD,MOM, GRANDPA, DOG" and everything he says after just say yes, make everything he says a hit, lead him down a path so to speak, that he can't back out from.

I readily admit I donít know enough to say for sure that there is no God.
But I do know enough so say that anyone who claims to know the mind and will of a being such as God is a liar.
kedo1981 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th April 2012, 02:37 AM   #16
Mooncalf
New Blood

Wow. You have way more expendable income than I do. Last I know, tickets for his **** were $200 or so.
Mooncalf is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th April 2012, 01:10 PM   #17
LarianLeQuella
Elf Wino

Cool

Originally Posted by Moon-Spinner View Post
Or you can print a copy from here...

Cold Reading Bingo
Thank you! Hard to get reliable hits frombehind a corporate firewall.
Originally Posted by cwalner View Post
That would be ****** hilarious to have a group doing this and have somebody actually stand up during his performance and shout 'Bingo!'
If I wanted to waste money on a public spectacle, I would have done it when he was in NH... Sadly (or fortunately depending on how you look at it), I was on travel that night.
LarianLeQuella is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th April 2012, 05:09 PM   #18
Moon-Spinner
Graduate Poster

And here is good example of how John Edward does his act (according to SLN)

Crossing Over Comedy

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal