ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Notices

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 23rd April 2012, 11:46 PM   #1
ieathedead
Student

Developing Your Own Psychic Powers - By John Edward

G'day,

I recently had a birthday and for one of the joke presents, I was lucky enough to receive "Developing Your Own Psychic Powers" by John Edward, a 6CD boxed set which will apparently help me develop my very own psychic powers*. I've also been promised that under 2 dollars was spent on the CD's but I still feel that is too much, but I digress.

Has anyone listened to it, or ones like it before? I don't think it's going to be a guide to cold reading or anything like that so I'm curious as to what he actually says in it.

I'm going to give it a listen and if I can make it through all 6CD's, MDC here I come

* - Due to my low post count I'd just like to confirm that I'm not, in any way into woo or believe this will give me psychic powers.
ieathedead is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd April 2012, 11:51 PM   #2
ieathedead
Student

As I sit here copying CD1 onto my computer, I feel dirty and like I'm doing something wrong. The John Edward effect is already happening haha
ieathedead is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th April 2012, 04:14 AM   #3
NoZed Avenger
Bitter Whiner

It's working. I sense . . . I sense you are ALREADY as gifted as John Edward.
Old 24th April 2012, 04:39 AM   #4
ieathedead
Student

I strongly suspect that too but since I have nothing better to do with my time, I'm going to make some predictions before I listen to the cd's and compare them to my predictions after I listen to the CD's... when I'm psychic.

The horse in barrier 9 will win the 2012 Melbourne Cup
No world records will be broken at the 2012 Olympics
A big announcement about life on other planets will be made in September
Michael Jordan will either pass away or be involved in a scandal this year.

I just made those predictions using no psychic ability and just made them up. Ask me some questions so I can predict them now, before I've become properly psychic after listening to the cd's.
Old 24th April 2012, 06:33 AM   #5
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

I wonder if he talks as fast on the CDs as he does in his shows. Somehow, I doubt it.
Old 24th April 2012, 06:41 AM   #6
Marduk
Banned

Originally Posted by ieathedead View Post
I just made those predictions using no psychic ability and just made them up. .
G'day mate
ha you think, how do you know the development doesn't start when you open the cd case. The power works on me too, since you mentioned John Edwards I have come to the conclusion that you live in Melbourne and are a student of some type, I'm getting a subject that sounds like it starts with an "S", no wait, could it be "P"
I'd say you love animals, but that just sounds odd

Last edited by Marduk; 24th April 2012 at 08:19 AM.
Marduk is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th April 2012, 07:05 AM   #7
Eddie Dane
Philosopher

Should it be possible to file a lawsuit against authors like this?

Judge, I spend 70 hours practising these techniques.
Further inquiry showed me that developing or having psychic powers are impossible under the laws of this universe.

My witnesses are Neil deGrasseTyson and James Randi

I'd like to see some goddamn money.
Eddie Dane is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th April 2012, 07:22 AM   #8
Marduk
Banned

Originally Posted by Eddie Dane View Post
Should it be possible to file a lawsuit against authors like this?

Judge, I spend 70 hours practising these techniques.
Further inquiry showed me that developing or having psychic powers are impossible under the laws of this universe.

My witnesses are Neil deGrasseTyson and James Randi

I'd like to see some goddamn money.
you'd win, and they'd have to reimburse your losses
under 2 dollars .
then out of that you'd have to cover Neil deGrasseTyson and James Randi expenses and air fare

personally I have a whole list of people that I'll be sueing, the second I win the lottery

Last edited by Marduk; 24th April 2012 at 07:26 AM.
Marduk is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th April 2012, 07:51 AM   #9
Staffsknot
Student

Not sure if this is the same John Edwards, be a think that James Randi has already addressed this particular psychic.
Staffsknot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th April 2012, 10:34 AM   #10
wheunis
Thinker

This one time, after watching an Edwards tv show episode thinger, I had this weird feeling that someone was about to sneeze.

I'm not even kidding though, coz like 3 seconds later... I SNEEZED! ZOMG GIMME A TV SHOW!!!
wheunis is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th April 2012, 02:51 PM   #11
xtifr
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by NoZed Avenger View Post
It's working. I sense . . . I sense you are ALREADY as gifted as John Edward.
Not sure that's true--JE seems to have some decent skills in cold reading, which can actually be a useful talent. I sometimes wish I could do a cold reading that well. He's also gifted at deception and at extracting money from suckers, which are skills I don't envy or desire.

If you're explicitly referring to his psychic gifts, though, then yeah. My coffee cup regularly demonstrates pyschic powers equal to Edward's.
xtifr is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th April 2012, 03:27 PM   #12
Saule
Scholar

Originally Posted by xtifr View Post

If you're explicitly referring to his psychic gifts, though, then yeah. My coffee cup regularly demonstrates pyschic powers equal to Edward's.
My bear beats them. Always.
Saule is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th April 2012, 04:12 PM   #13
steve s
Illuminator

If you don't know what to do with the CDs, you might consider donating them to the JREF's library, assuming they don't already have them.

Steve S
Old 24th April 2012, 04:13 PM   #14
Marduk
Banned

Originally Posted by xtifr View Post
Not sure that's true--JE seems to have some decent skills in cold reading, .
your cold reading skills would also match his if you could manage to get all your readings edited by a TV company before anyone saw all the errors
Old 24th April 2012, 04:17 PM   #15
rickps
Thinker

I am distressed -- distressed, I tell you -- at this cavalier attitude towards psychic powers. Just the mention of John Edwards' CD gave me powers. Here's proof:

Last night, before I went to bed, I said to my wife, "tomorrow morning, at the break of dawn, there will be the sound of gunshots all over Australia. I see soldiers saluting a flag."

Now tell me that I didn't get this right.

Also, Ieathedead, your real name starts with a letter of the alphabet. Am I right?

rickps is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th April 2012, 07:11 PM   #16
Goshawk
Graduate Poster

Ask me some questions so I can predict them now, before I've become properly psychic after listening to the cd's.

1. Who will win as American president in November 2012?
2. Will Oprah Winfrey ever have another talk show?
3. Is Lindsay Lohan really going to star as Elizabeth Taylor in a biopic, or is that just hype?
4. Where is Amelia Earhart, really?
Goshawk is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th April 2012, 02:37 AM   #17
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger

Originally Posted by Goshawk View Post
3. Is Lindsay Lohan really going to star as Elizabeth Taylor in a biopic, or is that just hype?
No need for psychic powers for any of them. Here are the answers
1. The same man who won in 2008.
2. Yes, but not a popular one.
3. No.
4. Captured by aliens. This was documented in the documentary Star Trek Voyager.
rjh01 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th April 2012, 06:48 AM   #18
NoZed Avenger
Bitter Whiner

Originally Posted by Goshawk View Post
Oprah.

Quote:
She will be too busy as President. But she will have fireside chats that include Dr. Phil.

Quote:
She will be too busy as Vice President.

Quote:
Secretary of State.
Old 25th April 2012, 07:27 AM   #19
ExMinister
RSL Acolyte

I am a veteran at this. Never mind that I am still not psychic. I predict you will learn how to:

Balance your chakras and contact your spirit guide

Use your imagination to imagine balancing your chakras and contacting your spirt guide

Use your imagination to create a psychic room where you can balance your chakras, contact your spirit guide and dream up psychic answers

Learn how to make your life more conducive to having psychic things happen (drink more water, meditate, get rid of clutter, give your house a house blessing)

Hear lots of stories about how psychic John Edward is
Old 28th April 2012, 12:20 AM   #20
ieathedead
Student

OK, here is an update...

I'm not psychic yet.

Originally Posted by ExMinister View Post
I am a veteran at this. Never mind that I am still not psychic. I predict you will learn how to:

Balance your chakras and contact your spirit guide

Use your imagination to imagine balancing your chakras and contacting your spirt guide

Use your imagination to create a psychic room where you can balance your chakras, contact your spirit guide and dream up psychic answers

Learn how to make your life more conducive to having psychic things happen (drink more water, meditate, get rid of clutter, give your house a house blessing)

Hear lots of stories about how psychic John Edward is
All the above is contained in the CD's along with John Edward's hate of yoga and this dishonesty involved with it. A few interesting things I heard on the CD's were:
Don't ask for lotto numbers, it doesn't work that way, Mr Edwards has tried and it didn't work. I suppose he chose the more moral way of making money by giving psychic readings.
The CD's wont actually help you develop psychic powers (so I can't sue).
Don't do psychic readings based on this CD, it's immoral or something like that.
The messages you get are not specific and are open to interpretation.
...and God. He has a lot to do with ghosts and whatnot. That's probably why it didn't work for me... yet.

And yes, he speaks as fast on the CD's as he does in 'real life'. So much so I had to check if my iPod was on x2 speed. The whole friggen thing could have fit on 2-3CD's because most of it is repeated anyway. Even the quality of the production sucks. If you're going to read out of a book, make sure your audience can't hear you turn the pages.

For the couple of bucks it cost, I would have much rather got a cigarette lighter or a bag of cheap potting mix for the garden. I might be able to use the CD's to deter birds from my garden as I have enough coasters at the moment.

I know that Mr Edwards says not to make psychic readings or do predictions, but I guess I just don't have the high moral standards of Mr Edwards so while I'm posting this, why not answer these questions.

Obama.
Yes. With Gail prompting people to call the due, "The Real OG".
She is slated to star in the biopic, but her irrational behavior is a major worry.
She has passedover (way to use the lingo) is actually my spirit guide. This may explain a lot.

Also, if the Indiana Pacers are still a team, they will win the NBA title.

So that's that then. The CD's were much worse, boring and useless than I thought they'd be. I was expecting a good bit of woo to give me a laugh but all I got was relaxation exercises and instructions to imagine a house full of ghosts.

I have to listen to some skeptical podcasts to make my ears and brain stop hurting.
Old 28th April 2012, 11:01 AM   #21
ExMinister
RSL Acolyte

"Don't ask for lotto numbers." That would have come into existence after the 400th time someone asked the perfectly reasonable question, "If you're so psychic, how come you haven't won the lottery?"

Just like: "I can't be psychic for myself." That would be after it becomes obvious that the psychic didn't predict his own divorce/lost wallet/bankruptcy.

And: "I can't always see events that aren't meant to be stopped." After the thousandth time someone asked, "How could you miss something as huge as 9/11?"

Or: "Sometimes I get things wrong because human free will influences events to go a different way." This way I can still sound believable even when I am totally wrong.

"It's God's will."

"The messages are open to interpretation. It's not that I'm wrong, it's just that I misinterpreted what I was seeing."

Last edited by ExMinister; 28th April 2012 at 11:02 AM.
ExMinister is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th April 2012, 12:17 AM   #22
Minarvia
fading orb

Ex-Minister, you should write a book titled "Excuses for your bad psychic readings." You'd make so much money!

Ooh, I'm so glad to be back on this forum and read such great stuff!

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal