ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Notices

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 23rd April 2012, 11:13 PM   #1
Cylinder
Philosopher

US begins van der Sloot extadition

Peru approves first step toward extradition of Joran van der Sloot

Quote:
The process to extradite Joran van der Sloot from Peru to the United States to face criminal charges has begun, according to Maximo Altez, van der Sloot's Peruvian attorney.

Peruvian judges in January sentenced the Dutchman to 28 years in prison for the murder in 2010 of Stephany Flores. He is also the prime suspect in the disappearance of American Natalee Holloway. U.S. authorities want to try van der Sloot on charges of extortion and wire fraud in the Holloway case.

According to court documents obtained through Altez, a Peruvian judge has approved a U.S. request for provisional detention. This is the first step in the extradition process between Peru and the United States. The document says a formal extradition request has yet to be submitted, but will follow.

"I think he will be extradited within the next three months," said Altez. "He will go to trial in the United States. Once he is sentenced, he will return to Peru to finish serving his 28 years, and then go back to the States to serve whatever sentence he gets there."
If you will not fight for the right when you can easily win without bloodshed ; if you will not fight when your victory will be sure and not too costly; you may come to the moment when you will have to fight with all the odds against you and only a precarious chance of survival. There may even be a worse case. You may have to fight when there is no hope of victory, because it is better to perish than live as slaves. - Winston Churchill, The Gathering Storm
Cylinder is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th April 2012, 12:58 AM   #2
erwinl
Muse

Ooh! That is good.

I was afraid he would be removed to the USA and finish his sentence there.
This is much better. What will his prospect for jail sentence in years in the USA be?

Either way. He will be really old when (if) he ever gets out.
Old 24th April 2012, 02:40 AM   #3
Eddie Dane
Philosopher

Originally Posted by erwinl View Post
Ooh! That is good.

This is much better. What will his prospect for jail sentence in years in the USA be?

Agreed.
Eddie Dane is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th April 2012, 05:50 AM   #4
Skeptical Greg
Agave Wine Connoisseur

What a colossal waste of resources and money ..

But we are good at that ...

Prove your computer is not a wimp ! Join Team 13232 !
Skeptical Greg is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th April 2012, 11:36 AM   #5
Ladewig
Hipster alien

Originally Posted by Skeptical Greg View Post
What a colossal waste of resources and money ..

But we are good at that ...
Yes. I sadly agree. However there are statutes of limitation and for us to get a crack at him requires doing something sooner rather than later.

If I were serving time in a Peruvian prison, I would look at a trial in the U.S. as a vacation.
Is the JREF message board training wheels for people who hope to one day troll other message boards? It is not that hard to get us to believe you. We are not the major leagues or even the minor leagues. We are Pee-Wee baseball. If you love striking out 10-year-olds, then you'll love trolling our board.
Ladewig is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th April 2012, 11:40 AM   #6
superfreddy
Muse

I say, let him rot in Peru and save US taxpayers some money
superfreddy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th April 2012, 03:23 PM   #7
triforcharity
Banned

Originally Posted by erwinl View Post
Ooh! That is good.

He could face 25 years in prison here in the US.
triforcharity is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th April 2012, 03:25 PM   #8
triforcharity
Banned

Originally Posted by Ladewig View Post
Yes. I sadly agree. However there are statutes of limitation and for us to get a crack at him requires doing something sooner rather than later.

If I were serving time in a Peruvian prison, I would look at a trial in the U.S. as a vacation.
I think because he's been indicted here in the US, there isn't any statute of limitations AFAIK.
triforcharity is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th April 2012, 03:33 PM   #9
Stellafane
Village Idiot.

It may not be the best use of U.S. taxpayer money. But I would love to see that smirk wiped off van der Sloot's face.
Old 24th April 2012, 03:33 PM   #10
Montag451
Critical Thinker

Prisons here are foul. Do have jiggy visits though.

Everything you need you have to pay for, run by drug gangs, violent and nasty. So a US trial would probably be quite nice for him.

During one of the visits Dutch inmate killed his girlfriend and buried her under concrete in his cell. Nice
Montag451 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th April 2012, 03:35 PM   #11
Skeptical Greg
Agave Wine Connoisseur

Originally Posted by Stellafane View Post
It may not be the best use of U.S. taxpayer money. But I would love to see that smirk wiped off van der Sloot's face.
...And a vacation to the US would make that happen ?

Prove your computer is not a wimp ! Join Team 13232 !
Skeptical Greg is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th April 2012, 03:36 PM   #12
BravesFan
Banned

This is a great thing!

Being that the Holloway family was never going to get justice in Aruba, the fact that he will face charges here, THEN be sent back to Peru (doubtful a comforting penal system) to serve his 28 years and then have to come back to serve up to 25 more, not only gives the family piece of mind, it ensures that no other young women will fall victim to this predator.
BravesFan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th April 2012, 03:42 PM   #13
Stellafane
Village Idiot.

Originally Posted by Skeptical Greg View Post
...And a vacation to the US would make that happen ?
I think it might, if it's spent in a 'Bama penitentiary.
Old 25th April 2012, 01:20 AM   #14
Eddie Dane
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Montag451 View Post
Prisons here are foul. Do have jiggy visits though.

Everything you need you have to pay for, run by drug gangs, violent and nasty. So a US trial would probably be quite nice for him.

During one of the visits Dutch inmate killed his girlfriend and buried her under concrete in his cell. Nice
It's all part of a wider Dutch PR campaign.

We're trying to shake the whole clogs and windmill stigma.

How do you like it so far?
Eddie Dane is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th April 2012, 06:15 AM   #15
WildCat
NWO Master Conspirator

Originally Posted by triforcharity View Post
I think because he's been indicted here in the US, there isn't any statute of limitations AFAIK.
But you want to try as soon as possible, certainly not wait 25 years. In that time witnesses can die, rercords can get lost, etc etc.
WildCat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events