ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Notices

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags breatharianism , Ellen Greve , michael werner , Prahlad Jani

Old 26th April 2012, 01:04 AM   #1
Kuko 4000
Graduate Poster

Swiss woman starved after 'eating' only light

http://www.thelocal.ch/3196/20120425/

Quote:
A woman living in the east of Switzerland who believed she could survive on light alone was found starved to death, it has emerged.

Anna Gut (not her real name) was in her early fifties when she saw the film, “In the beginning there was light,” a documentary in which two men claim to survive entirely on light, newspaper Tages Anzeiger reported.

The film, which ran in Swiss cinemas in 2010, portrayed two men, 62-year-old Swiss Michael Werner, an anthroposophist with a doctorate in chemistry, and 83-year-old Indian yogi Prahlad Jani. Both men claimed to derive sustenance from spiritual means rather than the intake of food.

Werner claims he has lived this way since 2001, while Jani says he has lived for 70 years not only without food but also without water.

Anna Gut started her long preparations for the process by reading a book by another proponent of "breatharianism", 54-year-old Australian Ellen Greve, who also goes by the name Jasmuheen, or eternal air.

So, the usual suspects, I wonder what's the harm?

Pixie of key: "HOW IS YOU NOT UNDERSTANDING WHAT I AM GIVING LECTURES ON A PROBLEM."

Last edited by Kuko 4000; 26th April 2012 at 02:14 AM.
Kuko 4000 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th April 2012, 02:30 AM   #2
sophia8
Master Poster

Sigh.
If this woman had all her intellectual faculties, then she was clearly acting out a subconscious suicide wish and rationalizing it to herself as a "spiritual cleansing" or somesuch.
Maybe she'd have killed herself some other way; who knows? But using some other method might have alerted others to her plight and got her treatment.

This film was shown in cinemas?? WTF????
It's like showing a film of a stuntman setting himself on fire and blowing himself up; then telling the audience that absolutely no stunt effects, safety precautions or CGI was used, the person filmed wasn't a stuntman and suffered no injuries at all and that everybody could go home and set themselves on fire and blow themselves up perfectly safely.
"Nature is floods and famines and earthquakes and viruses and little blue-footed booby babies getting their brains pecked out by their stronger siblings! ....Nature doesn't care about me, or about anybody in particular - nature can be terrifying! Why do they even put words like 'natural' on products like shampoo, like it's automatically a good thing? I mean, sulfuric acid is natural!" -Julia Sweeney
sophia8 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th April 2012, 02:31 AM   #3
Joey McGee
Transcendental Naturalist

Absolutely tragic.

Quote:
But proponents of light nourishment dismiss such deaths, sometimes accusing the deceased of acting negligently or otherwise saying the true cause of death had not been properly established. Others look for spiritual reasons.
If you die, you weren't doing it right, or you attracted it with your bad karma. Brutal.

People need to understand how bad spiritual fraudsters can be, how heartless and cruel. I think they believe in this stuff because the guru's just seem so nice.
Old 26th April 2012, 02:40 AM   #4
Howie Felterbush
Bow Tie Daddy

I remember the days when "light nourishment" meant a sandwich and a glass of milk.
Howie Felterbush is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th April 2012, 02:43 AM   #5
23_Tauri
Illuminator

Christ on a bike!

More from the same article:
Quote:
In 1997, 31-year-old Timo Degen from Munich died from circulatory collapse during an attempt to live on light alone. A 53-year-old New Zealander, Lani Morris, also died from a stroke caused by fluid loss in 1998, and in 1999, Verity Linn, an Australian was found emaciated in a lake in Scotland having tried to follow light nourishment practices, Tages Anzeiger reports.
So it's not the first time this has happened. The more we allow apparently harmless woo to permeate society, the more frequently will extreme events like this happen to people.

The solution is going to the root cause, which is peoples' ignorance, and that can only be tackled through better education in science and critical thinking from an early age. It starts in schools.

I used to be a woo, but the more I read stories like this the more I feel compelled to become - as another current thread in this sub-forum puts it - something of a fanatical skeptic.
Old 26th April 2012, 02:58 AM   #6
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by Kuko 4000 View Post
http://www.thelocal.ch/3196/20120425/

So, the usual suspects, I wonder what's the harm?
So when it obviously didn't work and she was getting weaker and weaker, she didn't think "damn ! I'd better start eating again !" ?

"When you vote, you are exercising political authority, you're using force. And force, my friends, is violence. The supreme authority from which all other authorities are derived." - Starship Troopers
Belz... is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th April 2012, 02:59 AM   #7
Lamuella
Master Poster

Verity Linn
Timo Degen
Lani Morris

and now this poor woman. This isn't just BS. This is BS with a bodycount.
Lamuella is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th April 2012, 03:10 AM   #8
Rasmus
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
So when it obviously didn't work and she was getting weaker and weaker, she didn't think "damn ! I'd better start eating again !" ?
Doesn't homeopathy teach that it has to get worse before it gets better?

Look at people praying - do you think that ever worked? And they still keep doing it ...

Also, if you deprive yourself of food and water, your brain will stop working right fairly quickly I guess...
Old 26th April 2012, 07:01 AM   #9
Marduk
Banned

Originally Posted by Lamuella View Post
and now this poor woman. This isn't just BS. This is BS with a bodycount.
I disagree
this is natural selection
Marduk is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th April 2012, 07:12 AM   #10
RecoveringYuppy
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Joey McGee View Post
Absolutely tragic.

If you die, you weren't doing it right, or you attracted it with your bad karma. Brutal.

People need to understand how bad spiritual fraudsters can be, how heartless and cruel. I think they believe in this stuff because the guru's just seem so nice.
Maybe Switzerland is just too far north.

Make a fire for a man and you keep him warm for a day. Set him on fire and you keep him warm for the rest of his life.
RecoveringYuppy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th April 2012, 07:22 AM   #11
wheunis
Thinker

Originally Posted by RecoveringYuppy View Post
Maybe Switzerland is just too far north.
I hypothesize that it MIGHT be possible to test for stupidity levels correlating to average climatic temperature.

Too far north and your brain "freezes" slowing your thought processes to that of a wet doornail.

But, its just a hypothesis.
Anyone know any Eskimo's I can lure into a test?! lol.
wheunis is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th April 2012, 07:51 AM   #12
Moon-Spinner
Graduate Poster

Out of the woo in this world, this one would seem like a no-brainer - If you don't eat, you die! What is so hard to understand about that? Didn't they learn how the human body works in grade school??

Sheeeeesh....
Moon-Spinner is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th April 2012, 09:29 AM   #13
Stray Cat
Philosopher

Originally Posted by wheunis View Post
I hypothesize that it MIGHT be possible to test for stupidity levels correlating to average climatic temperature.

Too far north and your brain "freezes" slowing your thought processes to that of a wet doornail.

But, its just a hypothesis.
Anyone know any Eskimo's I can lure into a test?! lol.
I believe George W Bush was from a warm climate region.
Your hypothesis is successfully refuted.
Old 26th April 2012, 09:32 AM   #14
wheunis
Thinker

Originally Posted by Stray Cat View Post
I believe George W Bush was from a warm climate region.
Your hypothesis is successfully refuted.
Or possible, just needs revision!
To the drawing board!

*doodles pictures of boobs*
wheunis is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th April 2012, 09:47 AM   #15
Lamuella
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Marduk View Post
I disagree
you can think that if you like. I try to be neither cheerful not smug when deluded people die.
Lamuella is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th April 2012, 09:48 AM   #16
Yuri Nalyssus
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Kuko 4000 View Post
"... another proponent of "breatharianism", 54-year-old Australian Ellen Greve, who also goes by the name Jasmuheen, or eternal air..."
I remember seeing a documentary on telly about "Jasmuheen" a few years back where a crew followed her around for a bit. She was extremely evasive about how much she actually ate and was actually filmed eating chips. I seem to remember she had also a suspicious amount of food in her fridge.

The words hypocritical, profiteering and murderer spring to mind for some reason.

Yuri
Old 26th April 2012, 09:59 AM   #17
Resume
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Yuri Nalyssus View Post
I remember seeing a documentary on telly about "Jasmuheen" a few years back where a crew followed her around for a bit. She was extremely evasive about how much she actually ate and was actually filmed eating chips. I seem to remember she had also a suspicious amount of food in her fridge.

The words hypocritical, profiteering and murderer spring to mind for some reason.

Yuri
I think it was the Australian 60 Minutes who observed her for 72 hours until a MD shut her little charade down for "Jasmuheen's" own welfare.
Resume is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th April 2012, 10:43 AM   #18
Baloney
Muse

Originally Posted by Moon-Spinner View Post
Out of the woo in this world, this one would seem like a no-brainer - If you don't eat, you die! What is so hard to understand about that? Didn't they learn how the human body works in grade school??

Sheeeeesh....
I think you answered your own question.
Old 26th April 2012, 11:06 AM   #19
Polaris
Philosopher

Sheeeeesh....
"Your body is magic, and if you think really, really happy thoughts you won't need to eat, so you won't get cavities or have to poo."

Something tells me that was the extent of that subject.
"There's vastly more truth to be found in rocks than in holy books. Rocks are far superior, in fact, because you can DEMONSTRATE the truth found in rocks. Plus, they're pretty. Holy books are just heavy." - Dinwar

"Let your ears hear this beautiful song that's hiding underneath the sound," Ed Kowalczyk.
Polaris is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th April 2012, 11:31 AM   #20
23_Tauri
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Rasmus View Post
Also, if you deprive yourself of food and water, your brain will stop working right fairly quickly I guess...
There is this, yes. As someone who suffered from anorexia as a teenager I can confirm that very weird things happen to your neurological functioning and resultant perception of how hungry/not hungry and thin/not thin you are when at very low body weight.

Still, this is no excuse for starving yourself to death because you think you can live on light.
Old 26th April 2012, 11:40 AM   #21
sophia8
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Yuri Nalyssus View Post
According to her, the food was all for her husband, who wasn't a "light-eater". She actually admitted to eating a little food from time to time, just for the enjoyment naturally:
Quote:
Maybe a few cups of tea and a glass of water, but now and then if I feel a bit bored and I want some flavour, then I will have a mouthful of whatever it is I'm wanting the flavour of. So it might be a piece of chocolate or it might be a mouthful of a cheesecake or something like that.
And the Wikipedia article on her says:
Quote:
Jasmuheen has stated that she has lived on approximately 300 calories per day for the last fourteen years, maintaining full health through supplementing a fluid intake with 'cosmic particles' or micro-food, which she describes as prana. Jasmuheen has also stated that she has not yet mastered the ability to be fluid-free for more than short periods.
So she doesn't even follow her own teachings! She's turned anorexia into a religion.
"Nature is floods and famines and earthquakes and viruses and little blue-footed booby babies getting their brains pecked out by their stronger siblings! ....Nature doesn't care about me, or about anybody in particular - nature can be terrifying! Why do they even put words like 'natural' on products like shampoo, like it's automatically a good thing? I mean, sulfuric acid is natural!" -Julia Sweeney
sophia8 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th April 2012, 11:49 AM   #22
Stray Cat
Philosopher

Originally Posted by sophia8 View Post
She actually admitted to eating a little food from time to time, just for the enjoyment naturally:
I'm the same with breathing air... I only do it from time to time for the enjoyment... Honest guv'ner.
Old 26th April 2012, 11:54 AM   #23
Live&Learn
Critical Thinker

Question

Quote:

The film, which ran in Swiss cinemas in 2010, portrayed two men, 62-year-old Swiss Michael Werner, an anthroposophist with a doctorate in chemistry, and 83-year-old Indian yogi Prahlad Jani. Both men claimed to derive sustenance from spiritual means rather than the intake of food.

Werner claims he has lived this way since 2001, while Jani says he has lived for 70 years not only without food but also without water.
Two obvious liars.

I don't get it. What's the angle? Are they making money off their lies?
Live&Learn is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th April 2012, 12:02 PM   #24
Mojo
Mostly harmless

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-st...ht-737972.html

"The poor mystic homeopaths feel like petted house-cats thrown at high flood on the breaking ice." - Leon Trotsky
Mojo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th April 2012, 12:13 PM   #25
Careyp74
Illuminator

Was she found inside her home? That is the problem, not enough light.
Careyp74 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th April 2012, 12:33 PM   #26
sophia8
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Live&Learn View Post
Two obvious liars.

I don't get it. What's the angle? Are they making money off their lies?
I'd guess that's true for the "Yogi" - there's a long and dishonourable tradition of religious scamming in India.
But as for the Swiss professor, my guess is that he's seriously deluded. I've read about studies of obese people that demonstrated how they consistently underestimated the amount of food they were eating; they just weren't consciously registering the little bits they were snacking on throughout the day. The same could apply in reverse to this guy - he's taking in adequate amounts of calories in some form and not consciously registering it. If somebody followed him around for a few days, sticking to him like glue, they'd see him eating.

In fact, according to this article he does eat, exactly like Jasmuheen. Which bears out my theory - these people DO eat and drink, but deny they do it every day.
Quote:
But he says he suffers no ill-effects even six-and-a-half years into his experiment. Is there any food he misses? "Occasionally, I'll bite into some chocolate or a slice of pizza - just to annoy my three children. But the enjoyment of eating stops as it hits the back of my throat.
"But I still love being with food, to see and smell it, particularly fried, in a cafe - that is something very fine. Now and again I get an appetite - when I might eat a couple of grapes or a nut. But these days I can take it or leave it."
ETA: I've been googling this guy and he seems to have disappeared after about 2008. He doesn't have a web presence at all, even though he is / was a chemistry professor and a company MD. You'd think that he'd carry on writing books and articles and giving interviews, eager to demonstrate that he was still hale and hearty on a decade of eating nothing....

Last edited by sophia8; 26th April 2012 at 01:02 PM.
Old 26th April 2012, 01:16 PM   #27
23_Tauri
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Careyp74 View Post
Was she found inside her home? That is the problem, not enough light.
Win.
Old 26th April 2012, 01:24 PM   #28
BenBurch
Gatekeeper of The Left

Sheeeeesh....
It appears to be eating AND drinking they abstain from.

You can make it 21 days without food, but without WATER? Not a chance.
Old 26th April 2012, 01:39 PM   #29
ddt
Mafia Penguin

Originally Posted by Mojo View Post
From that article:
Quote:
In other words, she experienced all the physical symptoms that afflict human beings when they refrain from eating and drinking. After four days, on the advice of Dr Wenck, 60 Minutes abandoned the trial, the results of which were broadcast on Sunday night.
Part of me says that they should have continued this week-long test, damn the consequences. Better that one guru - who at least morally is a murderess by inciting others to this "lifestyle" - dies than dozens others who foolhardily follow her "teachings".
Old 26th April 2012, 01:43 PM   #30
Baloney
Muse

The Road to Wellville
Old 26th April 2012, 01:43 PM   #31
Yuri Nalyssus
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Resume View Post
I think it was the Australian 60 Minutes who observed her for 72 hours until a MD shut her little charade down for "Jasmuheen's" own welfare.
Yeah, because she REEEEALLY had to nip out for a Big Mac

Yuri
Old 26th April 2012, 05:19 PM   #32
phildonnia
Master Poster

Another Inedia death

Heads up:

http://nydn.us/Ic6UfL
phildonnia is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th April 2012, 06:34 PM   #33
MontagK505
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
Sometimes fasting will suppress the appetite. If she was in a deluded state of mind, she may of thought it was working. She may have had other health problems that compounded the effect.

Political correctness is linguistic Fascism. - P.D. James
MontagK505 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th April 2012, 07:51 PM   #34
Baloney
Muse

Originally Posted by MontagK505 View Post
Sometimes fasting will suppress the appetite. If she was in a deluded state of mind, she may of thought it was working. She may have had other mental health problems that compounded the effect.
ftfy
Old 26th April 2012, 08:20 PM   #35
Polaris
Philosopher

Originally Posted by ddt View Post
From that article:

Part of me says that they should have continued this week-long test, damn the consequences. Better that one guru - who at least morally is a murderess by inciting others to this "lifestyle" - dies than dozens others who foolhardily follow her "teachings".
Not only that, but rip out their toilet. If they're not eating or drinking, it won't matter right?
"There's vastly more truth to be found in rocks than in holy books. Rocks are far superior, in fact, because you can DEMONSTRATE the truth found in rocks. Plus, they're pretty. Holy books are just heavy." - Dinwar

"Let your ears hear this beautiful song that's hiding underneath the sound," Ed Kowalczyk.
Polaris is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th April 2012, 08:30 PM   #36
Axiom_Blade
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Marduk View Post
I disagree
Reading this thread, I knew it wouldn't be long before somebody got into blaming the victim.

Last edited by Axiom_Blade; 26th April 2012 at 08:32 PM.
Axiom_Blade is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th April 2012, 08:47 PM   #37
dropzone
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Baloney View Post
Great book and movie, and it's mostly true.
dropzone is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th April 2012, 10:08 PM   #38
LightinDarkness
Master Poster

Ironically, wasnt this the same type of woo that VisionFromFeeling at first tried to hide but then later said she was getting back into near the time when she finally got banned?

Oh god, the VFF days. Those were painful - I'm still wearing my battle badge from those days
LightinDarkness is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th April 2012, 10:36 PM   #39
Smackety
Graduate Poster

the article says that she starved, so that it at least half a miracle!
Smackety is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th April 2012, 10:56 PM   #40
Brian-M
Daydreamer

There's already a thread about this:
Swiss woman starved after 'eating' only light

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal